PUBLIC OPINION > Marriage Is Still Relevant

Marriage rates in the U.S. have been declining for some time now, but they've dropped significantly in just the last couple of years. Between 2009 and 2010, rates dropped 5%. Between 1960 and 2010, rates dropped from 72% to 51%. If the rates continued to drop through 2011, that means fewer than half of American adults are married. But is that a reflection of marriage, or of our culture? Have we outgrown the institution, or are we losing touch? We handed the question over to SodaHeads to see what they thought.

Marriage Rates in Steep Decline: Is Marriage Outdated?

76% Still Have Faith in Marriage

Despite the harrowing statistics, most respondents still think the institution of marriage is relevant today. Just because marriage rates are declining doesn't mean marriage is any less important. Maybe it says more about our culture than marriage itself. The Top Opinion read, "Marriage will never be outdated. People are just less committed and that is obvious in practically every walk of life." That could very well be the case. But just to be sure, let's break it down.

Post-Marital Progressives

There were only two demographics that showed a severe mistrust of marriage, and progressives were one of them, with just 38% of them backing the institution. Even liberal voters had more faith than that -- 27% more. Conservatives showed the most support (94%).

Atheists Against Marriage

The only other large group that sided against marriage was atheists. They weren't as adamant as progressives, but only 43% felt marriage was still relevant. Agnostics actually showed quite a bit of support (77%), and Christians were way up there with conservatives.

Singles Are Skeptical

The last demographic we want to touch on is the most relevant: relationship status. Married voters, naturally, threw all of their weight into backing the institution (94%), but single voters showed some hesitation (71%). But the divorcee votes caught us by surprise; more than two-thirds of them still believe in marriage.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about marriage rates. We'd love to hear from you!

• Stan Weinstein 2012/06/16 09:14:59
    Stan Weinstein
    As long as you receive 'last rites' right after your wedding vows.
    The elimination of Marriagenis a Marxist Dream.... Babies are born they are raised in schools and taught intense Marxism..... No real Love....... It betrays the need. et the Father away froimn the mother and you got it all going. US WelfRE WAS THE TRIGGER IN aMERICA......
  • THE ENIGMA 2011/12/27 08:34:50
    THE ENIGMA
    its very much relevant n significant too........it'll stay that way....
  • Bonboyl 2011/12/22 00:36:07
    Bonboyl
    I didn't like being married, so it's not relevant to me. There are marriages that I admire, but they're few and far between.
  • Simmeri... Bonboyl 2012/01/19 18:35:24
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +1
    Why didn't you like being married?
  • Bonboyl Simmeri... 2012/01/20 05:27:07
    Bonboyl
    Didn't marry the right guy, I guess. We really went in opposite directions and there just wasn't anything there.
  • Mark 2011/12/21 11:35:04
    Mark
    If for no other reason , those that are sleeping together , that are NOT married - if they die in the flesh , they will fry because fornicators will not see the Kingdom of Heaven .
  • santanasmooth 2011/12/20 17:49:15
    santanasmooth
    Just a set of ownership papers not necessary but I may change my mind one day
  • Mustang Girl 2011/12/20 00:51:44
    Mustang Girl
    Whether your married, in a relationship, or just boyfriend & girlfriend this holds true for all. But, marriage is just as important today just as is was yesterday. It's just more complicated today because of the economy and peoples morals. Marriage takes two to make it work just like it takes two to argue. If you both work at it and as long as you remember why you got married in the first place it will work. Communication it a very large role in a relationship/marriage. If you don't have communication it won't work. In a relationship/marriage it is not a "me" or a "you" thing, its "we" thing, there is no one in charge. Yes, everyone needs their space but in your everyday events the bottom decision is the both of you. You not only need communication, but also there is a lot of compromising on both parts. Life is difficult enough with bills, work, kids, etc.... Given the number of marriages and messy divorces today one needs to sit down with their significant other and discuss the past, present, & the future in full detail. Yes, all of them have a role you don't want anything to come out of the closet that might cause any problems. I do have to agree with moving in together for a minimum of at least a year or two before actually saying "I Do". And a prenuptial is a no...
    Whether your married, in a relationship, or just boyfriend & girlfriend this holds true for all. But, marriage is just as important today just as is was yesterday. It's just more complicated today because of the economy and peoples morals. Marriage takes two to make it work just like it takes two to argue. If you both work at it and as long as you remember why you got married in the first place it will work. Communication it a very large role in a relationship/marriage. If you don't have communication it won't work. In a relationship/marriage it is not a "me" or a "you" thing, its "we" thing, there is no one in charge. Yes, everyone needs their space but in your everyday events the bottom decision is the both of you. You not only need communication, but also there is a lot of compromising on both parts. Life is difficult enough with bills, work, kids, etc.... Given the number of marriages and messy divorces today one needs to sit down with their significant other and discuss the past, present, & the future in full detail. Yes, all of them have a role you don't want anything to come out of the closet that might cause any problems. I do have to agree with moving in together for a minimum of at least a year or two before actually saying "I Do". And a prenuptial is a norm today. You work hard for you personal belongs and where you are in life so you have to protect them not to mention it makes things mutual on both parties and everyone is on the same page. I was married for 12 years, which I thought he would be fair. I guess for the most part things were somewhat fair, but when it was all said and done, things he said during court come to find out were all lies. Today, I will more cautious and make sure it will last for life. Today, I would like my husband to be my best friend. Someone who I know will always be there. Just like the traditional wedding vows say, "Promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part" Trust me, the next time I do get married, we both will be sitting down and write our vows together as a couple because I want it to mean something and I want to be able to be buried next to my husband. marriage
  • Cora 2011/12/19 04:43:50
    Cora
    Marriage is very much relevant to me. Marriage takes two people for it work out. If you the two people trying to make it work, they should forget the power trip because it does not work, and you need to learn to compromise and best of all LISTEN to each other. Always remember what made you feel in love with each other. I would marry my husband all over again. I am PASSIONATE about MARRIAGE and my vows.
  • lcky9 2011/12/19 03:54:07
    lcky9
    listen marriage is HARD.. making it work takes 2 people.. I will admit I have been married twice before.. one lasted a year (didn't like being black and blue) I was young.. my second marriage lasted 11 years.. I keep trying but I was the only one ..his first love was drink.. .. after that I decided to get to know ME and find out WHY I kept picking the wrong guys.. after being unmarried for 10 years finishing up raising my 3 kids.. I met a my current husband.. we have been together 17 years married for 14.. he's someone my kids can look up to and respect.. for who he is .. (no my kids aren't still at home).. we love each other.. support each other.. and are both family kind of people.. Marriage hasn't decreased.. people being encouraged to marry has.. the government has made it more profitable to NOT marry.. however.. some of us BELIEVE in marriage.. and KNOW it can be the most wonderful thing in the world IF you take your time.. and marry someone who has the same ideals and values as you do..and they mean it and aren't just saying it cause they know that's what you want to hear..
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2011/12/19 02:54:07
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    Procreation is a biological imposition seeded deep within our genes and it can not be tied to a piece of paper. When you "regulate" biological impositions with "human rules" you get horrendous results. I. E. Celibacy in Priesthood is responsible for the deluge of sexual abuse in kids by priests.
    How else were Priest going to release those hormonal urges? Maybe if The Vatican would had allow them to masturbate with the western version of the Kama Sutra (I mean Porn), perhaps not so many children would had been affected.
  • Curmudgeon 2011/12/19 02:53:21
    Curmudgeon
    Given the number of marriages and messy divorces I've seen just a few years later, I'm not sure the traditional idea of marriage is valid anymore. I like what I seen in Mexico where they were talking about 5 year term marriages.

If things go well after 5 years you become married for good, if you're having second thoughts both parties can leave and nothing is lost to endless court battles. I like that idea, as from a very young age I've had uncles telling me "before you allow a woman to move in move in with you get legal advice, and draft a living agreement."

Recently now that my brother is getting divorced, I'd go as far as to have a prenuptial in a safety deposit box on standby.
  • MollysMom 2011/12/19 02:41:57
    MollysMom
    God instituted Marriage, is God outdated? No!

god instituted marriage god outdated
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2011/12/19 02:38:25
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
  • Oh Yeah 2011/12/19 02:32:41
    Oh Yeah
    Kids, marriage is bad, mmmmkay?
  • buzzn59 2011/12/19 00:32:09
    buzzn59
    it is what it is
  • Liberty 2011/12/18 23:45:07
    Liberty
    Only to the people, WHATEVER GENDER, who want to be married should it be relevant. Even then it should be of no concern to the state. Marriage is "personal." Draw up binding personal contracts to protect property and children just in case.
  • Roger 2011/12/18 19:38:48
    Roger
    i started to write my opinion---don't have, to i see it gonna rave it......
  • Roger Roger 2011/12/18 19:58:53
    Roger
    i would like my wife to be my bff. best blanking friend..i guess it'll be a thousand years before i can gain that kinda friendship.i wonder what ever happen to the crisco parties i use to here about. you don't think petty jealousies knocked it out.... i don't even have a "see there doing it and they still love each other"
  • Oh Yeah Roger 2011/12/19 02:37:48
    Oh Yeah
    Hmmm... I don't follow a word of this.
  • Roger Oh Yeah 2011/12/19 02:44:20
    Roger
    ok bring a horse to water but can't make em drink
  • Oh Yeah Roger 2011/12/19 03:03:35
    Oh Yeah
    I know this.
  • Roger Oh Yeah 2011/12/19 03:09:19
    Roger
    oh finaly just a happening long ago..don't worry about . i be rambling
  • killernick~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/18 19:38:22
    killernick~PWCM~JLA
    Hmmmm ..... It's very revelant !!!

$30.00- 40.00 for a marriage license
    $2000.00 - 5,000.00 for divorce lawyers
    $200.00 - 500.00 for ailmony / Spousal Maintenance because she didn't work during
    maintenance
    HALF HALF your possessions because you was marriaged

.. PRICELESS

And guess what !!! I was married 3 times .... and haven't been since 2001, and never will again without a pre-nup.

So heed this warning .... Read the above several times before you say

I DO .....

Divorce
  • budgerigar42 2011/12/18 18:28:43
    budgerigar42
    It's hard to find a married couple that doesn't bicker once in a while.
  • Bobbie ... budgeri... 2011/12/19 01:40:06
    Bobbie ballard
    I know thats right.
  • Abby 2011/12/18 16:20:37
    Abby
    no marriage is not outdated.
  • OnyxRaven 2011/12/18 10:17:32 (edited)
    OnyxRaven
    I for one am Pro-Marriage (no matter what your sexual orientation, you should be allowed to get married) because marriage is a beautiful thing, it may not change your relationship in any way but your wedding day is a day that you'll remember for the rest fo your life.
    And I know that once I get into a relationship with a man that I plan on spending the rest of my life with, I would very much like to get married to him.
    remember rest fo life relationship plan spending rest life married
  • justnotsaying (: 2011/12/18 06:56:38
    justnotsaying (:
    It's relevant for those that want it.
  • joe mauro 2011/12/18 06:50:35
    joe mauro
    its only relavant if you are married
  • Concerned American 2011/12/18 06:18:25
    Concerned American
    Marriage is extremely important and relevant (when it is between a man and a woman). Marriage is what keeps the family going and keeps us civilized.
  • wolfenrir Concern... 2011/12/18 08:42:20
    wolfenrir
    "When it is between a man and a woman." How is homosexual unions any less important and relevant? I thought it'd be more relevant, since it's a relatively new thing.
  • K. Katt 2011/12/18 04:22:26
    K. Katt
    +2
    Relevant, but not necessary. If my wife and I weren't married, I don't know how our relationship would be different or if it would be different.
  • Simmeri... K. Katt 2011/12/18 06:02:53
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    Not necessary? Marriage is the foundation of the family. WTF are you talking about?
  • K. Katt Simmeri... 2011/12/18 08:55:19
    K. Katt
    Families existed before the idea of marriage was made up by man. They still do.
  • wolfenrir Simmeri... 2011/12/18 08:56:50
    wolfenrir
    Some people don't find it necessary to be married to start a family, or indeed feel the need to start a family regardless of if they are married or not. And some can be content with another person without being married.
  • Simmeri... wolfenrir 2011/12/21 10:06:36
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    Are you referring to the African American community where over 70% of children are born with absent fathers? How's that working out for them?
  • wolfenrir Simmeri... 2011/12/21 10:08:48 (edited)
    wolfenrir
    No, I am not. I'm sure that your bringing that up was apropos of nothing.
  • Simmeri... wolfenrir 2011/12/21 21:40:14 (edited)
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +2
    It was like a hot knife through butter. Not only did it make the point it made it quite nicely. Thank you very much.

2014/10/31 08:01:34