PUBLIC OPINION > Lying to Get Out of Jury Duty Should Be Punishable By Arrest

The American justice system simply wouldn't work without jury duty, but not everyone wants to participate. Every once in a while, you hear about someone trying to get out of jury duty by pretending to be undesirable -- crazy, racist, obnoxious, you name it. It's a popular sitcom topic. But when 57-year-old Susan Cole tried to fake post-traumatic stress disorder, it landed her in big trouble. Actually, she was successful. Then she bragged about it on a radio show. Now she's being charged with perjury in the first degree and attempt to influence a public servant. We asked the public if that's worthy of arrest.

If you ever do get out of jury duty by lying, you'd better be careful who you tell. More than half of respondents would be willing to send you off to the big house for it! They might not turn you in, but they'd definitely give you a dirty look. It all comes down to civic duty. As citizens of this great country, we should feel obligated to serve on an honest jury in hopes that we would receive the same benefit should we ever be tried. The biggest argument against an arrest was scope of punishment. A lot of respondents suggested maybe a ticket or a fine, but thought jail was too much.

Women Are More Sympathetic

The differences of opinion weren't enormous in any category, with most hovering very close to the overall vote, but there was a notable difference between the male and female vote. Men were typically harsher, with 62% calling for an arrest, while women fell just below the bar with 46% in favor of an arrest -- a difference of 16%.

Age Favors Arrest

Even the age difference was minimal, but it did show a visible progression. Young adults were the least likely to call for an arrest, with 48%, and the number steadily went up from there, peaking at 78% in the over 65 category.

Politics Don't Matters

Believe it or not, there was close to no difference between liberals and conservatives. With terms like "moral obligation" flying around, we expected some backlash, but both parties agreed jury duty is indeed an important part of being an American citizen. Not much religious difference, either.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about jury duty. We'd love to hear from you!

• Don 2012/03/26 23:15:54
    Don
    +6
    WHAT ABOUT ALL THE LIES OBAMA TELLS? THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS DONE NOTHING BUT LIED. ALONG WITH HIS NEWS MEDIA, I SAY PUT ALL OF THEM IN JAIL.

• SiliconSorcerer 2012/05/19 16:20:17
    SiliconSorcerer
    Lying to get on no, lying to get on yes, I believe both are but they should REALLY prosecute when cases cost millions of dollars and are thrown out.
  • mac9 2012/05/15 21:51:21
    mac9
    Hell no! Obama has made it ok to lie about everything.
  • SneakyPete 2012/04/27 19:11:54
    SneakyPete
    Yes. It onees civic duty to serve on a jury. It is called being one of ones "Peers"
  • Richard Pearson 2012/04/15 14:26:38
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/11 20:12:40
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    That's a little to strong, how about just a nice little fine!
  • QuietChallenge 2012/04/05 07:29:20
    QuietChallenge
    +1
    People that low in morality and personal responsibility shouldn't be on a jury anyway.

Does anyone think that chick would have have been a fair, rational, and reasoning juror?
  • ehrhornp 2012/03/30 21:42:09
    ehrhornp
    There is generally no reason to lie. I haven't been accepted for jury duty for decades. Perhaps it is because I say when asked, that yes I can believe in jury nullification.
  • owen 2012/03/30 06:37:05
    owen
    I would sooner go to prison than stand in judgement of anyone
  • Tom Camfield 2012/03/29 21:44:40
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    Would you want a person who'd readily lie to avoid a civic duty serving on your jury? I't want 12 honest, civic-minded people on my jury. Let the weasels go their way; it's not worth arresting them.
  • ~ The Button ~ 2012/03/28 23:01:25
    ~ The Button ~
    just do it
  • wolf sloan 2012/03/28 21:58:11
    wolf sloan
    yeah
  • beth weisleder 2012/03/28 21:11:48
    beth weisleder
    +1
    The jury duty bs is nonsense anyway. Usually working parent/parents cannot afford to go sit around the courthouse waiting to see if 'their case' has settled OUT of court. They lose time & productivity where they are employed & needed. They MUST pay a babysitter to go to school to pick up their child as they CAN'T. There are plenty of retired or unemployed to do jury duty & would welcome the little cash & feel their time was spent productively.
  • QuietCh... beth we... 2012/04/05 07:32:05
    QuietChallenge
    In LA, the cash is $15/day, and that only starts on the second day. That ain't money.
  • TheNightFly 2012/03/28 19:54:38 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    No. Perjury only applies when you're under oath. Did they put her under oath during jury selection, or is there are law that says we are automatically under oath as soon as we step into a court room, regardless of whether we are aware of it or agree to it? If so, then it's not only completely unfair but, why make witnesses perform a bible ceremony before testifying?
  • kaZappoo 2012/03/28 19:48:44
    kaZappoo
    no shouldnt do that ....BUT ,,I went in and reported ...when asked about a capitol case I said save every ones time and use a bullett ,, // next time rape case ,, I said castrate the person ..

they havent called me back since ..been 30 yrs. now ..
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2012/03/28 15:11:29
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    So what you're telling me is, we the plebs are held to higher standards than bankers, lawyers, politicians, CEO's and all the other impeccably dressed and well groomed "specials".
    Dude, you didn't need to do a poll. Look at the Drudge Report sometime.
  • Maverick Capitalist 2012/03/28 13:54:38
    Maverick Capitalist
    +1
    Don't you believe the United States have enough laws that place people in prison for no logically legitimate reason? There are over 4,500 federal laws on the books today. That EXCLUDES all state, county, and local laws. Now, the federal government has also passed the Lacey Act which enforces all "foreign laws" when conducting business. In fact 3 people a few years ago received 8 years in FEDERAL PRISON for shipping lobster in plastic bags instead of cardboard boxes as is the law in Honduras.

Gibson guitar was recently raided by federal agents in SWAT gear and automatic weapons because the federal government claims the company is importing illegal exotic wood from a country which has told the U.S. federal government is NOT illegal. ALL other guitar manufacturers use the same wood from the same place but Gibson is the ONLY one raided.

Hence, laws for the sake of laws is merely a way to take power from the individual. Laws are interpretive, meaning that government can manipulate a law to fit their objective should they so wish to and there is not a thing you can do.

You people demanding a law and jail time for lying about jury duty should ask yourself if you voted for Clinton and didn't find his "perjury" before a federal judge to be a problem. Look the "injury" upon society ...

You people demanding a law and jail time for lying about jury duty should ask yourself if you voted for Clinton and didn't find his "perjury" before a federal judge to be a problem. Look the "injury" upon society for lying about jury duty is minimal. In fact is it rational to "force" someone to do something that they desperately don't want to do if someone's life or freedom is on the line?

In other words, if YOUR Ass is on the line do you want someone just going through the motions because he wants to get out of there, or do you want someone that is thoughtful and serious about ensure YOU are treated fairly?
  • HillaryLover 2012/03/28 06:27:08
    HillaryLover
    Honesty is the best policy. I always express my honest opinions on the issues at hand. Most always prosecutors, and on occasion a judge, will dismiss me for those reasons. All laws are not good laws and all laws are not bad laws, and I approach jury duty with that in mind.

There are some folks that see themselves ("the people") as part of the prosecution process, there to support the state's case. As such the defendants are guilty unless they can prove their innocence beyond a reasonable. Which, of course, is ass backwards.

Additionally, with almost every case there are plea negoiations. Such pleas are usually much less than what a prosecutor would seek in a jury/judge trial. Why should I as a juror give the prosecutor more than he/she would settle for or would gladly accept fair punishment? I won't be manipulated in that fashion and I try to be honest about my views.
  • Singerar 2012/03/28 03:26:16
    Singerar
    +2
    There needs to be a better system for Jury Duty.

Hypothetical situation: you are on trial for something you didn't do. Your Jury are 90% pissed for having to be there, missing work, paying extra for child care, they are worried about loosing a job if they are freelance, English is their second language, ect. ( the negatives are endless).

This is YOUR jury. They don't want to be there. They don't understand the law (because some have only a 6 to 8th grade education). They are getting 15.00 a day and IF they don't have a car...they must take the bus.

Do I want my case in their hands? Hell no.

That's why people lie to get off. Courts don't allow hardships anymore. Maybe either more of an incentive to go? Maybe paid committees made of law students?
    I don't know...there has to be a better system.
  • mama sew,gung ho 2012/03/28 03:15:49
    mama sew,gung ho
    Even the church mouse,"steals the cheese!" And all those among us who has not sinned,"throw the first stone!" I remember when my Mother had to sit on a jury,some minor case.And it just happened to be in the same court building,at the same time as the O.J.Simpson Trial! " Lord help us," for two weeks I had to traverse that three ring "Circus du ma cob!" What a night mare,and to think I had met O.J.and Nicole,in the 80's We partied at Steve,and Cindy Gary's house!(Old Dodger's player.)My husband says,"Honey,They'd never pick you for jury duty!And I say,oh yea."Is that because I still think O.J.did it?"LOL
  • being me 2012/03/28 00:25:53
    being me
  • BIGK27 2012/03/27 23:01:47
    BIGK27
    +2
    There are tens of thousands of people that don't work for a living; for what ever reson. A good percentage of these people can do jury duty..as often as they would like.
    I'm a very responsible small business owner of two specialized companies and if I'm not there, my companies suffers and in some cases my guys don't work and if I'm not working I'm loosing thousands of dollars everyday, so I can go to court (jury duty) for $12.00 a day and watch some jerk (lawyers) get over paid to BS. the system; all the while I'm loosing money, my guys aren't getting paid, my customers are pissed because the work not getting done, What the hell are these liberal thinking? sorry, I forgot liberals don't think. Let me help you out, get retired people, this would give them something to do, and with all of their wisdom, they (for the most part) are intelligent people full of a life time of experience. Let them judge these people.
    Leave us working people alone and when I retire; I'll do my part.
  • Mr. Won... BIGK27 2012/03/27 23:31:08 (edited)
    Mr. Wonderful
    Oh poor baby, go wring out your crying rag. You're a disgrace. Anyone that dodges jury duty is. It is part of your civic duty.
  • BIGK27 Mr. Won... 2012/03/27 23:51:21
    BIGK27
    What do you do for a living? Mr I'm full of myself! I mean Wonderful.
  • Mr. Won... BIGK27 2012/03/28 01:04:50
    Mr. Wonderful
    +1
    You must enjoy being an idiot in public, is that your hobby?

Not that it matters, but I was a senior auditor (now retired) and know first hand how you "small" business owners screw over your employees, partners, vendors, etc.. LOL!
  • BIGK27 Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 01:19:46
    BIGK27
    +1
    Like i said you worked for the government. your pathetic
  • Mr. Won... BIGK27 2012/03/28 01:39:25
    Mr. Wonderful
    You're wrong again Bozo.
  • BIGK27 Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 01:50:47
    BIGK27
    Wow the suspense is killing me, but then and again You hold all the power.
    you like that feeling don't you little man
  • Grizzle Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 13:31:23
    Grizzle
    I'm a small business owner and have jury duty next week. I don't claim to have solutions but the system needs some changes. If I am on jury duty and get an emergincy call from a customer one of two things will happen, the judge will excuse me or I will go to jail. It's definatley not fair to the person on trial because now they are being tried for personal damages to me!

And that emergency call that I would get would mean I have a payroll system down that Is causing thousands of people to miss a paycheck next week. Could you imagine? Do you think I would have a happy customer? sorry, do you think I would have a customer next week?
  • Mr. Won... Grizzle 2012/03/28 14:22:13
    Mr. Wonderful
    You're making excuses. Jury duty is an OBLIGATION, part of being a citizen Your duty! Lets be realistic. In you live in a larger metro area, where most of the country's population is, then the chances of you even getting summoned in about 1 in 10. If you do, there's about a 50% change you'll never get picked from the jury pool. In most cases then it is ONE WEEK out of your life. I can't believe how selfish and stupid some of the comments here have been. Shame on all of you that think that way. What a greedy selfish bunch. Hope you're never on trial some day and end up with some low grade juror wtih your fate in his/her hands.
  • Grizzle Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 18:24:45
    Grizzle
    +1
    I obviously made it to complicated for you. Your right, the system is absolutley Wonderful, no changes could possibly be needed, it's government run

jury duty idiots
  • BIGK27 Grizzle 2012/03/28 14:47:03
    BIGK27
    +1
    You are correct my friend, in todays world people like you and I work long hard hours just to keep the doors open. The system dose needs to change. Like I said Leave us working people alone and let the 47% of the people that don't work for a living like the retired, out of work, welfare, etc. And when I retire; I'll do my part as I have in the past.
  • Michael S Smith 2012/03/27 21:54:31
    Michael S Smith
    How about we elect people to be jurors for a 10 year terms
  • BoomLover 2012/03/27 21:05:00
    BoomLover
    I have served on many juries, always considered it my civic duty, and saw them thru to the end...including a huge trial that included Murder in the 1st, Assault with Intent to Commit Murder, Assault with a Deadly Weapon by a Felon, Assault with Intent to Commit Great Bodily Injury, Possession of Illegal Drugs, Possession with Intent to Sell....point is, you want to live in this country, be here LEGALLY, and follow your Civic Duty. Yes, someone who lies to get out of Jury Duty should be arrested. Period.
  • Mr. Won... BoomLover 2012/03/27 23:32:07
    Mr. Wonderful
    High five borther!
  • David 2012/03/27 20:24:07
    David
    +1
    What about all the people who continue to lie about Obama, see top opinion!
  • Mr. Won... David 2012/03/27 23:37:06
    Mr. Wonderful
    +1
    My solution is simple. Round every every last one of these anal right wing nut jobs, haul them off the the bad lands in SD near Mt. Rushmore and give them each 10 acres. They can do all the bitching and whining they want there, nobody will hear them, or see them again. ;-)

haul lands sd mt rushmore 10 acres bitching whining hear
  • BIGK27 Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 00:53:29
    BIGK27
    +1
    A History Lesson

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1. Liberals; and
    2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to B-B-Q at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement.

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's and doing the sewing, fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men ev...

A History Lesson

1. Liberals; and
    2. Conservatives.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as girliemen.

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass. Webster definition: # 1 The demestic ASS! # 2 A person lacking in Judgement or prudence!

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.

Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, athletes, Marines, and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for nothing!

Here ends today's lesson in world history: It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to angrily respond to the above before forwarding it. A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true believers and to more liberals just to piss them off.

One last thing; Move your dumb liberal ASS back to France and take your liberal friends with you!

Your friend the Conservative.

weak liberal strong conservative
    PS. Take this dumb ass you call President with you.
  • Mr. Won... BIGK27 2012/03/28 01:10:19 (edited)
    Mr. Wonderful
    History lesson from some hot head right winger. Now that's funny!

I guess you're too dumb to know ALL the founding fathers were liberal. VERY liberal considering they risked it all, life, limb and their considerable wealth to start the revolution and get us where we are now so some conservative moron can whine and bitch his ass off, think he can obey only the laws he likes, then calls those he don't unconstitutional. What a hoot!
  • BIGK27 Mr. Won... 2012/03/28 01:20:53
    BIGK27
    Take another hit off your crack pipe. looser

2014/10/24 12:59:02