PUBLIC OPINION > Last August, Most People Thought Lance Armstrong Was Innocent

Even though he was stripped of his titles and dropped by his sponsors, the general public wanted to give Lance Armstrong the benefit of the doubt. That includes you, SodaHeads. When we asked back in August whether you thought the cycling legend was guilty of taking performance-enhancing drugs, 73% of you didn't believe it! It's understandable that you'd want to believe someone like Armstrong was innocent, but let's dig a little deeper, shall we?

GEN Y'ERS WEREN'T FOOLED

It has been said that with age comes wisdom, but in this case it was the 25-34 year olds who got it right. 42% of them voted that Armstrong was guilty. Maybe they're just more jaded? On the other hand, the majority (82%) of SodaHeads over the age of 65 couldn't believe it, and anyone in between the ages of 13-24 were more likely to side with the cyclist as well.

UNDERGRADS LOVE LANCE

It's not too surprising that undergraduate students were Lance's biggest supporters. Only 16% of them voted that he was guilty. However, after obtaining bachelor degrees and moving on to grad school, the support lessened. 41% of graduate students were sure Lance took performance-enhancers. Could this be because undergraduates are involved more in athletics and community service/volunteer work -- maybe even Livestrong?

CONSERVATIVES SIDE WITH LANCE, TOO!

What was most surprising was the political divide on this question. 81% of conservatives believed Lance was innocent, while liberals were the least supportive -- 40% of them voted that he was guilty. Perhaps there was a difference in coverage on Fox News and... well... all the rest of the channels.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about Lance Armstrong. We'd love to hear from you!

• Bob Roberts 2013/04/08 03:34:41
    Bob Roberts
    You know, it's not an excuse, but the simple facts are these: 1) No serious contender during that time was NOT doing something. 2) There were serious controls and rules and Lance managed to stay within them. 3) Wrong, yes, but until you get EVERYONE to stop you're not really doing the sport any good by engaging in discriminatory enforcement.

It's telling that they can't take away his medals and give them to the second, third or fourth place finishers BECAUSE THEY WERE DOING IT TOO!
  • bill.fleming.77 2013/02/11 23:10:48
    bill.fleming.77
    Where is the stat for the 35 to 64 age group?

Regardless I never thought this guy was truthful. Nothing specific lead me to think he was lying. I am just a pretty good judge of character and there is something off about this guy. His best Boy friend Matthew McConaughey is off too as is Cheryl Crow.
  • peter 2013/02/08 17:07:30
    peter
    he fooled a lot of people
  • andrew.micheals.353 2013/01/24 18:29:59
    andrew.micheals.353
    We all make mistakes, I have no idea how much of an advantage you can get from drug taking but I am pretty sure you must have some talent. Its over, he apologised, move on.
  • Carlo 2013/01/24 16:24:32 (edited)
    Carlo
    Give the guy a break. I dont know him or ever watched any races he was in, but think having the balls to admit his faults on TV with Oprah, no matter how insincere he may or may not have looked. Having your title's stripped from when you were under the impression you would never get caught or anything they can prove, is humiliating enough. Lets put things in perspective, it gave the guy and advantage, it didnt give the guy the title's. Lets hope all the second place athletes are happy with their new victories, they know were whatever distance behind a guy that was enhanced as well.

But this isnt OJ Simpson, its a guy that was a certain kind celebrity athlete. Now is the hardest part of all for him. He has to change completely or be shunned like OJ.
    Believe me his desire will be to change, you can bet. Forcing someone like that to want to change means there is a chance for us to see the person he should of been.

Remember he didnt kill his wife. .
  • Prairie Wind 2013/01/24 10:15:18
    Prairie Wind
    Lance was a triathelete performer at Plano East, well before he committed himself to competition bicycling and his school record reflects that. What Lance was introduced to required professionals with knowledge Lance didn't have as he began competitive road bicycling. His weakness is that he wanted to excel and was encouraged to do so because he is among the few who had the physical stamina to perform at levels few others could. That meant money to others and to ensure he met their expectations, the rest falls into play. Sometimes we demand too much of others and we don't have sense enough to let those who can perform, just be themselves and accept them for that. There is nothing to be gained by tearing him down. He must live with his conscience. Let him do so and perhaps his experience will be an asset to educating others seeking to excel without the consequences he has experienced.
  • Lisa 2013/01/24 02:14:21
    Lisa
    In France, they all dope. So be did have that to contend with. I know he has done a lot for his Livestrong Cancer foundation, so with a little bad comes a lot of good. I think people are being a little too hard on him. I think he should be fined and not race again, but I would and could forgive him for doping. Has anyone ever thought. Maybe he thought he wouldn't survive the cancer or that it would come back? Maybe his drive was to make money to help other cancer victims?
  • harasnicole 2013/01/24 00:56:39
    harasnicole
    Honestly, I don't think people are upset that Armstrong doped. I think most everyone is pissed off at how he had emphatically denied all accusations for years. Also, didn't he sue a newspaper or magazine for... libel, I think... or slander... something... and win? I hope Lance gets sued right back for all that money he won.
  • Ed 2013/01/23 18:12:46
    Ed
    I do not care one way or the other. We have more important things to be concerned about.
    EK
  • moira.faulds.14 2013/01/23 09:10:42 (edited)
    moira.faulds.14
    +1
    Lance Armstrong is a dumbass who should have kept his egomaniacal mouth shut, quietly dropped the lawsuits, and faded in private life to do us all a big favour. I think he should be nominated for jackass of the year.
  • Butterfly 2013/01/23 03:39:55
    Butterfly
    +3
    I don't normally cuss on here.....WHO THE F CARES? We are losing our country, our second amendment, our 6th amendment, our economy is in the toilet,,,unemployment is about 14%, and more people on FOOD STAMPS, then ever before!! Muslims are taking us over.
    We should 'worry' about this??? f OFF. let it go. IN the bigger scheme of life,,,,THIS IS NOT IMPORTANT. you have an ax to grind? some of you thought,,obama ACTUALLY CARED about America, too....HE DOESN'T. Should we post, how you screwed up voting for him? Not just once, but twice!!!!! It does not get worse or more stupid then that.!
  • moira.f... Butterfly 2013/01/23 10:17:54
    moira.faulds.14
    +1
    That's not cussing you just said f, and I understand Lance Armstrong is like talking about Lindsay Lohan right it's stupid. But your second amendment is not going out the window. Don't worry about it. They're just trying to do background checks on purchasers and institute a cooling off period for the drunken pissed off dude who has to have his shotgun right now. It won't affect the average person, and it won't affect the criminals either, except they will have to buy from the black market and pay more money. And background checks prevent psych patients with violent backgrounds from picking up a handgun at a moment's notice - how could this be a negative thing?
  • Bob 2013/01/23 03:30:05
    Bob
    +2
    The ones that thought he was innocent are the ones that voted for Oduma.
  • OneLastWord 2013/01/22 18:40:32
    OneLastWord
    +2
    What’s really new?
    Left-wingers are so duped they are still voting for anti-Americans, radical liberals and Obama.

Lance’s situation shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.
    +3
    I don't liker it when someone has achieved fame by flaunting the rules.
  • Danielle Mike 2013/01/22 18:39:25
    Danielle
    +2
    Imagine the opportunity he stole from the athletes who were on the up and up.
  • OneLast... Danielle 2013/01/22 18:46:20
    OneLastWord
    +2
    Most were cheating with chemistry; they just didn't do it as well as him and win seven titles on the Tour de France. That made him VERY suspect.
  • OneLast... Mike 2013/01/22 18:43:33
    OneLastWord
    +3
    Uh? Are you OK?
    54% of voting Americans voted for a fraud and someone that cares nothing about the constitution or rules.
  • moira.f... OneLast... 2013/01/23 10:20:07
    moira.faulds.14
    +1
    I totally disagree with and so do a lot of other people who are just as smart and well informed and interested as you are. Go to another frickin thread if you don't like the Lance Armstrong thing! You had the choice to pass it over!
  • OneLast... moira.f... 2013/01/23 16:41:31
    OneLastWord
    +1
    I don't remember talking to you...nor do I want to.

I have the right to say what I want, it's part of the American 1st Amendment, or is that something Canooks don't understand,...now if you don't like what I said go to a Canadian site and shoot off your big mouth, c..t
  • Butterfly Mike 2013/01/23 03:41:26
    Butterfly
    +1
    LIke obama.
  • moira.f... Mike 2013/01/23 10:18:37
    moira.faulds.14
    +1
    Me neither he's an azz clown. Watch me get cited for language!
  • michael 2013/01/22 18:32:05
    michael
    +2
    Everybody knew he was a cheat,it was because he threatened everyone that he would sue the ass off them if they said he was one,and had the backing of millions of dollars and wealthy sponsors to do just that,I listened to the radio the other day and an American journalist said that he had lawyers that cost a million dollars for two weeks work on retainer!! It was said that after Ben Johnson won the 100 metres final (later disqualified ) that the only one who drug-free in the race came 8th out of 8.
  • Bob Roberts 2013/01/22 03:02:25
    Bob Roberts
    +2
    Pretty much knew he was - everyone in the top of the sport was - but my take on it was he essentially did it successfully - i.e. did not "get caught" while doing it, only well after.
  • Nonpartisan 2013/01/21 23:07:24
    Nonpartisan
    +3
    According to the people who are supposed to be experts on the subject, if they disqualified everyone who used illicit means to enhance their performance in races like the Tour de France, they would have to select a spectator bystander to give the trophy to. Drugs or no drugs anyone who comperes and finishes that kind of race is in real good physical condition. Yes they should compete without using any artificial ways to enhance their performance, however; the real trick is to disqualify all people who do so BEFORE the race starts.
  • Bob Rob... Nonpart... 2013/01/22 03:03:22
    Bob Roberts
    +3
    Sad but true. Why haven't they awarded the 7 wins Armstrong got to 2nd place finishers? Because they all doped too!
  • SunShine 2013/01/21 15:59:21
    SunShine
    +1
    sorry I just checked that poll and it said that 72% of those in my age group said he was guilty... I am 71
  • David (oYo) 2013/01/21 15:48:37
  • Christopher Kirchen 2013/01/21 15:13:53
    Christopher Kirchen
    +2
    Well he admitted it so apparently they were wrong. It's sad how he fooled so many people for so long.
  • Steelshrt 2013/01/21 08:02:31
    Steelshrt
    +3
    Most people have no common sense.
  • S* 2013/01/21 05:31:32
    S*
    +3
    he was, now he is guilty. What is the issue?
  • David Hussey 2013/01/21 05:21:53
    David Hussey
    +3
    I didn't. I've been saying he's a lying doper from way back.
  • monkeyking908 2013/01/21 03:03:46
    monkeyking908
    +2
    i still say he was innocent the only reason he would confess is to get every one off his back. most of the people who complained about him cheating where doing drugs them self if they cant win on drugs im sure they could not have one ether way
  • Emilia 2013/01/21 01:17:23
  • Mary Mary 2013/01/20 23:17:21
    Mary Mary
    +3
    At least he finally had the "BALL" to tell the truth hehe
  • Mike Mary Mary 2013/01/22 18:40:38
    took a while, though, didn't it ??
  • Mary Mary Mike 2013/01/22 23:00:30
    Mary Mary
    +1
    There was a little joke there Mike, read again "ball" not "balls" hehe
  • Mike Mary Mary 2013/01/23 10:25:12
    That ball business was new to me ! LOL
  • Mary Mary Mike 2013/01/23 10:33:56
    Mary Mary
    +1
    He had cancer lost a ball, bit of a bad taste joke but they are all going around Australia at the moment.
  • 1776gwash 2013/01/20 23:05:46
    1776gwash
    +2
    I think all athletes have a right to be at their most excellent shape even if that includes hormones of any type of steroid. I like to watch excellence at any cost to the athletes. LOL

2014/07/29 17:02:44