PUBLIC OPINION > Just Legalize Marijuana, Already!

It's 420, and you know what that means! If you don't, April 20 is the holy day of the stoner subculture, a date decided somewhat arbitrarily by the stoner lifestyle, which dictates that 4:20 is the ideal time to smoke. Now, we can't really ask who smokes -- it's still illegal, and some people don't want to give away that much info on the very public interwebs. So we asked the next-best question: Should it be legal?

Wait... what were we talking about? Oh, right. Marijuana. Most respondents are for it -- or at least for legalizing it. There's a difference. One commenter wrote, "I have no interest in smoking marijuana but it seems like common sense that it should be legal if alcohol is." Where were all those voters when it went on the ballot in California? Probably the same couch they're on today. Don't worry, you'll get 'em next time.

Conservative Conflict

The only demographic with a formidable sample size that voted against the legalization of marijuana was conservatives. They were 21% less supportive than Christians and 45% less likely than libertarians. The most frequent arguments against the legalization of marijuana were that it's a gateway drug and it's already illegal.

Males Lead the Charge

Gender didn't create much of a gap, but it was enough to show that males are more likely to support the legalization of marijuana. Sad news for stoner guys. Their dating options are perhaps a little more limited than those of stoner gals. Then again, you could quit whenever you want to. Right?

Smokers Support Smokers

When the legalization of pot is being discussed, it's often compared to alcohol and cigarettes. Each substance has its pros and cons, and marijuana's cons don't seem to be as detrimental as the other two. And those things are legal! Even drinkers and smokers can see that.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about legalizing marijuana. We'd love to hear from you!

• Stan Weinstein 2012/04/20 20:52:54
    Stan Weinstein
    +20
    Legalization is long overdue. Law officers would not have to spend countless hours looking for marijuana fields while risking their lives. States would bring in millions of dollars in tax revenue. Thousands of police officers would be freed up so they could have more time scraping up the bodies of those killed by drunk drivers drinking the legal alcohol.

• Ricky13 2012/04/22 22:03:22
    Ricky13
    Yes legalize it and then tax tax the hell out of it, pot heads wont to make it legal you want your cake and eat it to then there will be laws for you dumb asses to follow .
  • Juan Iota Ricky13 2012/04/24 05:27:40
    Juan Iota
    There should be an IQ test for sodahead membership, but people would probably want that subsidized by the givernment as well......sigh
  • fcombs 2012/04/22 21:59:55
    fcombs
    Legalize, package, sell in liquor stores and tax the crap out of it - like a "sin" tax. It's a natural substance - people make way too much fuss over it. I don't even like it, but I don't have a problem with it, and it really should be legal.
  • Juan Iota fcombs 2012/04/24 05:28:40
    Juan Iota
    They should do the very same thing with Tampons & maxipads......... why not?
  • fcombs Juan Iota 2012/04/24 05:42:16
    fcombs
    Well, I don't get your point. We are discussing legalizing what is now an illegal substance. As far as I know tampons and maxi pads are legal. That's why not.
  • Juan Iota fcombs 2012/05/01 05:07:30
    Juan Iota
    I think tampons are dangerous, and offensive. Its a proven FACT that they are habit forming and maxipads are just another form of them, so they should be against the law, and at the very LEAST taxed HEAVILY!!

:)
  • fcombs Juan Iota 2012/05/01 05:11:52
    fcombs
    Well, a tampon may be offensive to you, but I failto see the danger. And if they are habit forming, I really would like to see some evidence of that. WTF is your problem? I can't believe I'm even having this conversation with you. It's over the top insane.
  • Juan Iota fcombs 2012/05/10 16:43:52
    Juan Iota
    I couldnt agree with you more however you help me prove my point: if you didnt see the similarities in logic, it would be impossible for us to discuss it. I am not trying to make an enemy of you, just trying to share a perspective. peace
  • fcombs Juan Iota 2012/05/10 18:54:52
    fcombs
    Peace to you, too. I just don't know how we went from marijuana to tampons. Seems a jump.
  • Juan Iota fcombs 2012/05/27 06:33:50
    Juan Iota
    a number of people have died from Tampons, NO ONE has ever died from Marijuana.
  • fcombs Juan Iota 2012/05/30 08:02:53
    fcombs
    Why do I respond to you - it's like watching a train wreck. Tampons and marijuana are not related. Last time I'm gonna say that. And if you can show me the similarity, it would amaze me.
  • Juan Iota fcombs 2012/06/07 17:24:19
    Juan Iota
    I just did, and yet you only closed your eyes tighter. It's ok if we disagree.
  • Claire Dobie 2012/04/22 21:40:06
    Claire Dobie
    +2
    Legalize it. We need the money and the government can stop getting in bed with the cartels. Treat it the same as alcohol. You can't go to work high, for example, but if you take a few tokes on a Sunday and go to work on a Monday, you're not high anymore. Problem is, unlike cocaine, it's still in your system, so NO TESTING! If you can do your job and do it well, that's what matters.
  • Juan Iota Claire ... 2012/05/10 16:45:15
    Juan Iota
    DECRIMINALIZATION is the only choice for people concerned with LIBERTY. Taxation on everything including air is coming soon for those too ignorant to be vigilant about LIBERTY.
  • Ishmael 2012/04/22 20:07:58
    Ishmael
    +3
    Legalize it! We've wasted a TRILLION dollars on the dismal failure called he War on Drugs over the past 40 years.

• Incognito Ishmael 2012/04/23 20:26:31
  • Rebecca 2012/04/22 19:41:09
    Rebecca
    im sure itll happen one day. i dont smoke it and i wont ever, but i personally hate the smell of it (and kind) and i think its disgusting.
  • Jay Rebecca 2012/04/23 04:44:06
    Jay
    Finally, someone who makes sense! Weed is for dumbasses with no life and no future. It should NOT be legalized, and the penalty for smoking it should be more severe.
  • ryan Jay 2012/04/23 15:40:06
    ryan
    +1
    You are an idiot.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/04/22 17:33:32
    Margaret Jacobson
    Don't use........Just legalize it........THEN TAX IT OUT OF EXISTANCE............THAT'S ALL !! DE- CRIMINALIZE IT
  • Eris La... Margare... 2012/04/23 12:28:43
    Eris Landos
    +1
    If the government taxes it too much, people will find alternate methods or purchase.
  • VenomHalos 2012/04/22 17:29:34
    VenomHalos
    +3
    I don't smoke, but I'd rather it were de-criminalized than legalized. No need for the government to be making profits out of this.
  • Juan Iota VenomHalos 2012/04/24 05:30:05
    Juan Iota
    +1
    I knew eventually there would be someone sane here.
  • VenomHalos Juan Iota 2012/04/25 21:03:00
    VenomHalos
    Hahaha why thank you.
  • Vipor_GG 2012/04/22 16:39:26
    Vipor_GG
    +1
    When you consider that about 60% of inmates are in for drug charges and how much it cost, I don't see how we can't afford to end the failed war on drugs.
    http://druglibrary.org/schaff...
  • lm1b2 2012/04/22 16:04:14
    lm1b2
    +1
    The reason its still illegal is because law enforcement makes hugh amounts of money off of this law,if it was not for law enforcement pot would have been legal years ago!
  • dkoppy 2012/04/22 16:01:16
    dkoppy
    +3
    I think it should be legal, always have. And I don't use it. And I am a conservative, the only thing that bothers me is all the attacking attitude of the liberal's post under this subject. Get over yourselves, this is an opinion site, not your own vile spewing site
  • fitz dkoppy 2012/04/22 21:17:58
    fitz
    +2
    Good point and I'm a Dem.
  • Myopinionmatters 2012/04/22 15:35:44
    Myopinionmatters
    +1
    Legalize a modified version of Marijuana, and illegalize cigaretts. We would have a healthier United States.
  • Juan Iota 2012/04/22 15:20:17
    Juan Iota
    +3
    NO TO LEGALIZATION!!! WE DEMAND DECRIMINALIZATION ! ! ! !
  • Maximus 2012/04/22 14:53:35
    Maximus
    I can tell, if it were legalized, every street you walk to, or drive to will smell like weed, almost every breath will stink with weed, all lips will turn black. Used cars might have that weed smell still left in it. Weed bushes everywhere. People walking around all spaced out LOL! People might start selling weed again trying to make thousands (If not still going on now).
  • Juan Iota Maximus 2012/04/22 15:22:58
    Juan Iota
    +8
    "I can tell, if it were legalized"...... STep out of the fantasy- MILLIONS of people smoke daily and I dont see these zombies you speak of, walking around. Think about how silly your post is lol.
  • Maximus Juan Iota 2012/04/22 16:20:38 (edited)
    Maximus
    Why are you mad bro???!!!! Its just an image that I see happening in my head that I felt like sharing. Its not like what I'm saying will come true, besides I have family members, buddies and even teachers, workers that smoke that ganja everyday! You don't understand what I mean when I say "All spaced out". I'm not for Marijuana, and I'm not against it either. We cool bro? I've been exposed to that Mary Jane since I was a toddler.
  • Juan Iota Maximus 2012/04/24 05:31:51
    Juan Iota
    I am not mad, you are.... you are rationalizing a reality that DOES NOT EXIST. Good luck with that.
  • Maximus Juan Iota 2012/04/24 16:35:49 (edited)
  • Jay Juan Iota 2012/04/23 04:46:18
  • ryan Jay 2012/04/23 15:43:37
    ryan
    +1
    You make no sense. How does something being hidden or not change the current situation? Educate yourself.
  • Juan Iota ryan 2012/04/24 05:33:01
    Juan Iota
    You dont untie a pretzel that far gone. best to just smile and wave.....goodbye
  • Kirby 2012/04/22 14:31:51
    Kirby
    +3
    The war on drugs is a utter failure. The only people that are getting anything out of it are the prison industries and law enforcement ( and even most police officers are favor legalization) Alcohol and tobacco are far more harmful and kill more people than Marijuana has ever been. Get Big Pharma and the Private Prisons DEA, ATF out of the equation and watch how fast it would become legal!
  • :O R U 4 REAL??? 2012/04/22 14:30:22
    :O R U 4 REAL???
    +2
    We wana smoke pot.

2014/09/15 04:03:22