PUBLIC OPINION > Just Legalize Marijuana, Already!

It's 420, and you know what that means! If you don't, April 20 is the holy day of the stoner subculture, a date decided somewhat arbitrarily by the stoner lifestyle, which dictates that 4:20 is the ideal time to smoke. Now, we can't really ask who smokes -- it's still illegal, and some people don't want to give away that much info on the very public interwebs. So we asked the next-best question: Should it be legal?

Wait... what were we talking about? Oh, right. Marijuana. Most respondents are for it -- or at least for legalizing it. There's a difference. One commenter wrote, "I have no interest in smoking marijuana but it seems like common sense that it should be legal if alcohol is." Where were all those voters when it went on the ballot in California? Probably the same couch they're on today. Don't worry, you'll get 'em next time.

Conservative Conflict

The only demographic with a formidable sample size that voted against the legalization of marijuana was conservatives. They were 21% less supportive than Christians and 45% less likely than libertarians. The most frequent arguments against the legalization of marijuana were that it's a gateway drug and it's already illegal.

Males Lead the Charge

Gender didn't create much of a gap, but it was enough to show that males are more likely to support the legalization of marijuana. Sad news for stoner guys. Their dating options are perhaps a little more limited than those of stoner gals. Then again, you could quit whenever you want to. Right?

Smokers Support Smokers

When the legalization of pot is being discussed, it's often compared to alcohol and cigarettes. Each substance has its pros and cons, and marijuana's cons don't seem to be as detrimental as the other two. And those things are legal! Even drinkers and smokers can see that.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about legalizing marijuana. We'd love to hear from you!

• Stan Weinstein 2012/04/20 20:52:54
    Stan Weinstein
    +20
    Legalization is long overdue. Law officers would not have to spend countless hours looking for marijuana fields while risking their lives. States would bring in millions of dollars in tax revenue. Thousands of police officers would be freed up so they could have more time scraping up the bodies of those killed by drunk drivers drinking the legal alcohol.

• Frank 2012/04/23 18:27:22
    Frank
    +1
    Legalize it collect taxes, it's rediculous it's illegal in todays world.
  • jdemme 2012/04/23 18:24:14
    jdemme
    +2
    Great depression. One of the first things FDR did was end Prohibition.
  • Matt Hu... jdemme 2012/04/23 19:45:55
    Matt Hudson
    +3
    i give you two thumbs up..............................
  • \V/ jdemme 2012/04/23 22:00:19
  • Deputy Chief 2012/04/23 18:10:39 (edited)
    Deputy Chief
    I do NOT support the legalization of MJ. One of the primary reasons is that DUI would increase and it would be extremely difficult to measure/test for field sobriety. DUI KILLS innocent people, anything that can deter that is a plus. Also for anyone who believes that MJ is NOT a gateway drug to harsher drugs is out of touch with drug addicts or is an addict in denial.

Now bring on the pothead addict attackers.
  • eMac52 Deputy ... 2012/04/23 19:47:50
    eMac52
    +1
    I'm neither and your the one totally out of touch ! Deputy Chief of what ?
  • Superma... Deputy ... 2012/04/23 20:23:31
    Superman save us
    The only reason it is a "gateway" drug is because you buy it from the same person is trying to sell cocaine as well. They want to make a sale so they will pretty it up to make it. If you legalize it will no longer be a "gateway" drug.
  • Deputy ... Superma... 2012/04/24 20:43:08 (edited)
    Deputy Chief
    You are correct that current drug dealers sell all kinds of drugs. Making it legal will not stop dealers from selling it legal along with other illegal drugs. All drug addicts have smoked MJ at one time or another and MJ was their first drug used, which is an indicator that it is a gateway drug.
  • Superma... Deputy ... 2012/04/25 02:47:56
    Superman save us
    The first drug I ever used was pills from a doctor actually, then came the weed. Since I have not done another drug so it seems you that doctors are the prescribing the gateway drugs. If weed was legal drug dealers would no longer sell. You just took all the profit out for them.
  • Deputy ... Superma... 2012/04/25 03:32:46
    Deputy Chief
    Drug dealers will be able to grow and sell their own , so there will be profit if they so choose. When you own a drug store, you get more business if you carry a variety of drugs than if you only carry some. The drug dealers won't pay any taxes, so their profit margin may be greater.
  • Superma... Deputy ... 2012/04/28 23:16:26
    Superman save us
    Not if we do the same thing we did with tobacco.
  • Deputy ... Superma... 2012/04/29 02:06:42
    Deputy Chief
    Nothing would preclude anyone from having a garden in their backyard. Just as we can for fruits and vegetables. I am sure I could grow tobacco in my backyard and no one would care nor be the wiser.
  • \V/ Deputy ... 2012/04/23 21:59:04 (edited)
  • Deputy ... \V/ 2012/04/24 21:43:02
    Deputy Chief
    You need to get help for your drug dependency. Addicts have difficulty functioning in society and your name calling post is indicative of that.
  • \V/ Deputy ... 2012/04/25 02:53:56 (edited)
  • Deputy ... \V/ 2012/04/25 03:25:05
    Deputy Chief
    Name calling not only is classless it is against SH rules, I unlike you respect rules and laws. Drugs tend to cloud things so I won't blame you for your comments or opinion.
  • \V/ Deputy ... 2012/04/25 05:19:30
  • \V/ \V/ 2012/04/25 05:27:00
  • Deputy ... \V/ 2012/04/25 11:22:33
    Deputy Chief
    If you get pulled over in California and the officer smells MJ, you will go to jail. DUI is against the law and eventhough many think drinking and pot smoking makes them relaxed and better drivers, it does NOT. Reactionary timing is off and judgement is impaired. Again, even slow drivers under the influence KILL people. Then again most addicts are in denial anyway.
  • \V/ Deputy ... 2012/04/25 16:39:26
  • Deputy ... \V/ 2012/04/25 18:20:43
    Deputy Chief
    Like I said before, yes you can become psychologically addicted to MJ, just like people are addicted to alcohol. Your addicted to the high. Most addicts like you are in denial. You have my sympathy.
  • Common ... Deputy ... 2012/04/23 22:49:56
    Common Sense
    There is no proof to either of your statements. The DUI argument is pure speculation, and the gateway drug argument is just plain bad information.
  • Deputy ... Common ... 2012/04/24 20:39:32
    Deputy Chief
    It is a fact that more people will smoke it if it is legal. It does deter some law abiding citizens because of it illegality. It is a fact that testing for THC levels in a field sobriety test not possible currently. More teenagers will use irresponsibly which will increase teenage vehicle collisions. The sad outcome would be if they take innocent bystanders out with their conduct.
  • Common ... Deputy ... 2012/04/25 01:31:12
    Common Sense
    You are speculating that more people will use marijuana if it is legalized. I live in California, one of the easiest states to acquire legal marijuana. The amount of marijuana users did not skyrocket when prop 215 was passed.

Sure, field sobriety tests don't work for marijuana because the effects of marijuana are not the same as with alcohol. Driving high is not the same as driving drunk. However, driving drunk and high would be dangerous.

Marijuana could be regulated just as easily as cigarettes and alcohol, thus minimizing access to teenagers.
  • Deputy ... Common ... 2012/04/25 03:29:17
    Deputy Chief
    My husband and I live and worked in Law Enforcement in California. My experience with those driving under the influence of MJ showed that those drivers posed a danger on the road and people were killed as a result. Yes the usage of MJ increased as a result ot prop 215.
  • Common ... Deputy ... 2012/04/25 19:08:36
    Common Sense
    Nobody should operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of any kind of drug or alcohol. That being said, more people have died in car accidents from distracted driving due to texting/cell phones than have died from marijuana-related accidents. I am talking strictly marijuana, not a combination of MJ and alcohol.

Sure, there was an increase in MJ usage, because prop 215 allowed medical patients an alternative to heavy narcotic prescription drugs/painkillers. Non-users did not suddenly wake up one day and say "you know what, I'm going to start smoking pot."
  • RobinPeta Deputy ... 2012/04/24 20:53:45
    RobinPeta
    +1
    The few friends I know that smoke MJ also do other heavier drugs. Seems like once you have entered the world of drugs there is nothing stopping you.
  • Deputy ... RobinPeta 2012/04/24 21:40:19
    Deputy Chief
    You make a very good point pursuant to your experiences.
  • Common ... RobinPeta 2012/04/25 19:34:18
    Common Sense
    I have many friends who smoke MJ recreationally and lead perfectly normal, productive lives. In fact, none of my friends use hard drugs. There is a negative stigma associated with marijuana users that will continue to remain as long as there are opponents of its legalization.
  • Deputy ... Common ... 2012/04/25 21:15:59 (edited)
    Deputy Chief
    I know people who are functional alcoholics too, but their lives are far from good, because of alcohol abuse.

If not used for medical purposes, why is there the stigma? Because when many get high they behave like stoned idiots. Just like when people get drunk, they CAN act like fools. The stigma will always be there whether legal or not, because the purpose of smoking MJ is to get high. High to escape reality, just like many other narcotics, legal or not. Getting high will always have a stigma because it is associated with addiction and the destruction of lives. I have seen families argue and break up because of MJ or alcohol addiction. The addict becomes married to the drug, despite the cost. It ends up being a sad state of existance. Drugs of any kind (unless medically necessary) which alter one's ability to react and think are destructive. My opinion is based on my experiences in law enforcement as well as knowing people whose lives have been altered by MJ use. Addicts are in denial about the drug's negative effects and MJ is a DRUG.

I know that you are going to smoke MJ whether it is legal or not. I am not trying to convince you not to, it is your choice. Getting high is a priority for you which is why you smoke. I prefer to deal with life sober. No I do not drink either, I do NOT like the effects that alcohol has on my senses.

Here is a classic satire.
  • davyd god loving patriot 2012/04/23 17:59:09
    davyd god loving patriot
    +2
    only the potheads would love this question, and I vote no to legalize it, how would the poor people live ?
  • rugrat1411 2012/04/23 17:49:04
    rugrat1411
    +3
    I say make it legal so it can be taxed. Think of the revenue the government would get, it could get us out of debt quick.
  • Incognito 2012/04/23 17:40:03
    Incognito
    +2
    It is high time that our government legalized, regulated and taxed Marijuna. The "War on Drugs" has only over crowded our prisons, encouraged drug cartels to deal drugs in our citites, and endangered our minors and other unsuspecting customers who had bought laced and or bogus Marijuana mixed with Spice, PCP, or other highly dangerous substances, which is far worse than the Marijuana itself. How can a natural plant such as Marijuana, which is used by many people for medical purposes, be considered an "Evil Weed"?
     cat and catnip gif  cat and catnip gif
  • \V/ Incognito 2012/04/23 21:35:59
  • Incognito \V/ 2012/04/24 14:54:27
    Incognito
    +1
    Need you ask?! LOL...
    CAT CATNIP GIFS CAT CATNIP GIFS
  • intolerantrwj 2012/04/23 17:21:44
    intolerantrwj
    ..... hey, it's Legal in other Countries

.......................... So Move There !
  • HL intoler... 2012/04/23 18:41:07
    HL
    +1
    Spoken like a true DA RW.
  • intoler... HL 2012/04/23 18:43:45
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ..... I revel in my own arrogance
  • HL intoler... 2012/04/23 18:56:24
    HL
    +1
    Good for you, I think you meant ignorance...
  • intoler... HL 2012/04/23 18:58:21
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ..... uummm no, I meant arrogance

A little bit of life has taught me not to mince my words nor sugarcoat < s >

2014/10/21 12:16:39