PUBLIC OPINION > It's Not OK to Handcuff Kids

The parents of 6-year-old Salecia Johnson were shocked to find out that their child had been handcuffed and hauled off to jail on Tuesday. According to The Associated Press, while at school she "threw a small shelf that struck the principal in the leg, and jumped on a paper shredder and tried to break a glass frame." At some point administrators called the cops, and when the officer couldn't calm her down he put her in cuffs and took her to the station. This story has "controversy" written all over it, so you know we asked the public.

Sure enough, the results are just shy of a split decision. Overall, the voters decided against it by a margin of 10%, but there was more than enough support to get a toasty debate going. The real issue seemed to be whether there were any other options available. Those who voted in favor of the cuffing assumed there must have been good cause; those who voted against it assumed it was an overreaction. Some blamed the parents for not teaching her to behave in the first place; others wondered what the school did to cause the tantrum. There were a lot of angles.

Teens Think It's Terrible

Voters closest in age to the girl were most likely to oppose the officer's use of handcuffs. Maybe it's a little scary to realize just how vulnerable they could be if they don't act right. If a 6-year-old can get the cuffs, they're certainly not immune. Plus, they probably remember what it was like to be six a little better.

Parents Weigh Their Options

You might think parents would be more defensive, but they were actually more supportive than most. Along with voters who don't want kids at all, parents were split down the middle. However, voters who want kids someday were much less supportive. They don't know what they're in for.

Liberals Don't Like It

Yes, of course there was a political element to this. It actually wasn't as pronounced as it could have been, but conservatives were two times as likely as liberals to condone the use of handcuffs in this instance. Right-leaning voters frequently pointed out that handcuffs are merely a restraint, and not physically damaging. At least they didn't tase her.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about handcuffing children. We'd love to hear from you!

• fluer 2012/04/20 17:00:46
    fluer
    +16
    As a teacher who has had students out of control I can only assume this child was really out there badly. In the last 8 years we have only had to call the police one time and in that case they did haul the kiddo off to jail I think in cuffs. I guess they could have put her in a jacket, but if you stop and consider that she had already shown the inclination to injure and then destroy property could they let her go until she calmed down and potentially risk injury to another student or more property damage? Kiddo needed to be stopped to protect the rest of her peers and the staff from her destructive behavior. Do I like to consider this no, but in the real world where no one from the school can lay a hand on her without facing the very real possibility of a lawsuit the options are limited. Kiddo needs help but she also needs to learn there are consequences to actions. Sad all the way around.

• wow-really LEVI 2012/04/26 15:03:54
    wow-really
    Yes. Of course. Only black kids do wrong. All white kids are perfect. All brown kids are gang bangers, and everyone else is screwed.
    News flash, I have and will put my hands on kids of ALL colors when they are out of control, and will continue to do so, and never not once, have I ever seen, nor based my decsions to use restraint on an out of control individual based on the color of their skin!
    If you're acting like a donkey, you will be dealt with accordingly, REGARDLESS of color.
    Where you get your stats from, I'm not sure. But as a minority myself, I think we percieve things in this society way different than others, and sometimes those perceptions equal REALTY in the minds of most. Sad how we feed into that mentality, and in the meantime, our kids are malfunctioning BIG TIME!
    And do me a favor, save the "duhhhhhh's"... It really lessen's the value of what it is you are trying so poorly to state.
  • charles nelson 2012/04/23 23:02:48
    charles nelson
    When I was a little kid I went to a school in the Ozarks, my dad was career military, and there was a post near the town. My 4th grade teacher, who was also the principal, liked order.... or what ever bugged her. Her way of keeping order in her class was the paddle..Think she didn't like yankee kids (Wasn't very good with my yes ma,ams and sirs) and she really told me that.... well anyway... I would have prefered the handcuffs. But the paddling went on all year. Southern Charm but bee sure to beat it into them if they ain't learnin right.
  • Doctor 2012/04/23 22:42:45
    Doctor
    +1
    I'm for it! xD
  • ♥K14 2012/04/23 22:14:56
    ♥K14
    +1
    My opinions on discipline for children tend to cause negative reactions (and be slightly illegal), So I don't think I'll post them here :P
  • wow-really ♥K14 2012/04/24 15:42:28
    wow-really
    LOL!
  • Abel Lewis 2012/04/23 21:53:41
    Abel Lewis
    +1
    It's depends on the situation. And I think it's OK to spank a child for a Temper Tantrum.
  • toobored54 2012/04/23 20:23:59
    toobored54
    +4
    When I was 6, the teacher would have smacked me on the ass, grabbed my arm, and dragged me to my seat, at which point I would have sat down and had a tall glass of S.T.F.U.
  • wow-really toobored54 2012/04/24 15:46:10
    wow-really
    LOL!
    That's right honey.. That big ole glass S.T.F.U was served cold...
    and guess what?
    We're still here..
    No tragedy has befallen us. We aren't serail killers or criminals.
    And our kids don't act a donkey, cuz they know better. ; )
  • Gangstersteve1993 2012/04/23 20:01:12
    Gangstersteve1993
    That is just stupid
  • wow-really Gangste... 2012/04/24 16:40:52
    wow-really
    If by stupid you mean A six year old acting this way is extremely stupid, not to mention unnecessary!
    You're right!
  • Gangste... wow-really 2012/04/25 21:46:39
    Gangstersteve1993
    Yeah more or less
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/04/23 19:50:42
    Christopher Kirchen
    +3
    If it keeps them out of handcuffs later, I'm with it.
  • frozenfire 2012/04/23 19:37:25
    frozenfire
    What could a 5 year old possibly do to an officer? Draw all over there car with crayon. "look its a unicorn!" And they make cuffs that small? Lol officers grow some and deal with the kid without force. Use candy.
  • wow-really frozenfire 2012/04/24 16:38:43 (edited)
    wow-really
    That's it. Of course.
    We should reward them..
    Give them candy for acting like a donkey..Than "fake slap" them on the wrist, not a real slap, God forbid, and give them a pass back to class. And all will be well once again...

• AnyaMarieMiller 2012/04/23 18:48:14
    AnyaMarieMiller
    No it's not alright to cuff kids. If the police officer was able to cuff this 6 year old he should just hold her without cuff until she calms down. This ensures that she doesn't hurt anything or anyone else and also her safety. Also, little kids if they're in a tantrum are more likely just to tire out quickly if it's a big tantrum. Just take the time to hold the kid. Patience. When the kid is calm then call the parents and make sure there is disciplinary actions taken at home and at school. Jail is no place for a little kid. A kid ten years old maybe, even then it should be juvenile detention not jail.
  • missa AnyaMar... 2012/04/23 19:34:30
    missa
    +2
    Hold the child? Then her parents would be complaining that he restrained her to hard. Or let her throw a fit and maybe injure another child or injure herself? The disciplinary action was sending her to jail for assault. You can not force a parent to discipline their children at home. Perhaps if she was being disciplined at home this wouldn't have happened.
  • wow-really AnyaMar... 2012/04/24 15:59:33
    wow-really
    all due respect, when was the last time you tried to restrain a child not known to you?
    An unknown child having a complete melt down?
    How long do you think it takes an emotionally and physically out of control kid to "calm down" when being restrained?
    Have you ever heard of restraint-related positional asphyxia? Have you ever been restrained? Being restrained can be a traumatizing experience, especially for a little kid. Especially if that child is or has ever been assaulted/ sexually.
    While what you said, makes "sense" in the minds of many, the reality is that it is never that easy in real life. Kids now adays lack disicpline, self-control and respect for themselves, let alone anyone else. And parents enable them to be that way, and if that officer had restrained her and she would hurt herself in the process, the officer would be brought up on charges, and the parents would be sueing the police dept and the school district. That's a fact. that's reality. Happens all the time.
    Handcuffs really are the least harmful, least restrcitive way to control an out of control person, no matter how old they are.
  • missa 2012/04/23 17:27:16
    missa
    +1
    Yes. She should have been handcuffed. She needs to learn there are consequences for her actions before it is too late. I remember being too afraid to "act up" in elementary because you would be sent for a paddle in the principals office. That was in the late 80s. We need to stop all this feel good crap. She assaulted the principal, she didnt just throw a simple temper tantrum. And at her age she should know better than that. And her parents need to go to some parenting classes to learn how properly address her behavior instead of minimizing it and making excuses. She interrupted the learning environment and made it unsafe.
  • Ted 2012/04/23 17:22:27
    Ted
    +2
    As a teacher, its darned if you do darned if you don't. You either upset the parents of the behavior problem or face other upset parents who want to know why you are not doing anything about the behavior problem.

Really though, the parents created this monster and they should be the ones in handcuffs.
  • wow-really Ted 2012/04/24 16:00:23
    wow-really
    AMEN!
  • blessed 2012/04/23 16:06:38
    blessed
    +4
    How about we not handcuff the kids but stop this discipline is abuse nonsense, a few well placed slaps to her backside is what she needed, and when they are given lets not sue the teacher or principal.
  • dhw1949 blessed 2012/04/23 16:42:22
    dhw1949
    +2
    Well said. If she had been spanked a few years ago she'd know that there are consequences for bad behavior.
  • SW blessed 2012/04/23 18:40:14
    SW
    I don't think her behavior had anything to do with "not being spanked enough." I've never laid a hand on my 3 kids and they don't go around having tantrums at school. That little girl had something wrong with her brain chemistry. Either that or a really abusive/stressful home situation she was acting out about. This wasn't a matter of "lack of discipline."
  • wow-really SW 2012/04/24 16:21:13
    wow-really
    +1
    Please. For the sake all of humanity! Stop making excuses for bad behaviors!!!!
    The truth is kids are NOT being disciplined at home. and disciplne has nothing to do with corporal punishment. Kids are not being taught the 3 R's. Respect for self, Respect for others, and taking RESPONSIBILTY for our own actions. That is why kids act like donkeys. And let's say for the sake of arguement, that you are correct in your assumptions that this child lives in a messed up household. The fact is that many kids do now adays. Many of us have been there, done that. It's Unfortunate. However; that doesn't give them cart blanche to act that way. If people showed as much concern for the lives of children after they are born, they way they do before, maybe we won't have so many messed up kids. but the fact is that we (this society) does not. (just look and see how many kids are in foster care, and/or are runaways, lost and/or presumed dead -where's all the concern for them in those situations?)
    No concern there. Definetly not enough, so that why we enable them and tolerate their BS because that's what bleeding hearts tell people to do , but the only thing we do by enabling kids to act like donkeys is turn them into disabled, enabled, pukes who end up unable, and unwilling to care for themselves>...
    No concern there. Definetly not enough, so that why we enable them and tolerate their BS because that's what bleeding hearts tell people to do , but the only thing we do by enabling kids to act like donkeys is turn them into disabled, enabled, pukes who end up unable, and unwilling to care for themselves> Basically they either get killed or end up in jail, and/or they need to be "supported" by welfare, as they are "unable" to care for themselves, as big leeches on the ass of humanity, on tax-payers money.
    We will all reap what we sow when it comes to the way kids are treated, or should I say, untreated.
  • Ted wow-really 2012/04/24 18:11:41
    Ted
    +1
    Love it!!
  • wow-really Ted 2012/04/24 18:28:18
    wow-really
    Thanks.
    Only speaking from experience, and what I see on a daily basis..Sadly. : (
  • SW wow-really 2012/08/08 15:13:28
    SW
    Then how come my kids... never ever once spanked mind you... behave just fine? I don't discipline them --I just raise them in a nice orderly relatively clean marginally stress free environment and pay attention to them. Discipline is taught best by example, not by force. I've know great kids who's parents got divorced and whatddya know they acted out and their grades dropped. What you call "excuses" are actually "root causes" that should be dealt with instead of blaming children.
  • wow-really SW 2012/08/23 21:21:49 (edited)
    wow-really
    Excuses are like butt holes...
    Everyone has one, and they all STINK!
    Bad things happen to good people all the time, but when the going gets tough the tough don't sit around blaming others. They move onward and upward, and don't expect everything to be handed to them cuz they think themselves so damn special. Perception and reality are two different things, but it doesn't stop people from thinking otherwise.
    RESPONSIBITLY for one's own actions have nothing to do with blaming. this is something that most have difficulty understanding. Case and point.
  • SW wow-really 2012/08/24 19:34:04
    SW
    I find when people are all about "personal responsibility" when talking about other people are usually the quickest to pass the buck when it comes to their own failures.
  • wow-really SW 2012/08/29 16:36:40
    wow-really
    That could be true for some, but why does that excuse all.
    That whole, "Everybody does it -so why shouldn't I " menatlity and way of doing things is the reason this country is producing the class of enabled and entitled citizens that has never been seen before. To the detriment of us all.
    The only cure:
    head out of your ass
    People need to give their brains more oxygen!
  • BexEffEx 2012/04/23 15:51:57
    BexEffEx
    +1
    I think it was perfectly alright.
  • rosebud 2012/04/23 15:45:48
    rosebud
    +1
    Is this any worse than the medically induced mind-cuffs being put on kids through the use of Ritalin and Resperdol? "You can't smell it, so you can't tell it" was the drug addicts saying back in the 1960's before they made the drug use detection tests.
  • Ted rosebud 2012/04/27 14:12:26
    Ted
    Great point! We are restraining kids all the time with dope. I'll bet if the police used a tranquilizer dart on this kid instead of handcuffs people would be even more upset, but we tranquilize kids every day! As a teacher, I feel like such a hypocrite when I drive into school past the "this is a drug free zone" signs. There are plenty of kids on dope in my school. It just happens to be legal dope.
  • rosebud Ted 2012/05/03 17:44:44
    rosebud
    Thank you for clarification as to the origin and WHO is getting the bucks over those transactions.
  • SW rosebud 2012/08/24 19:34:32 (edited)
    SW
    Hey I used to play bass for The Medically Induced Mind-Cuffs!
  • Snowball 2012/04/23 14:22:36
    Snowball
    +1
    It's a type of restraint- if they are so out of control, that they could hurt themselves or other kids-- maybe even get into more serious trouble for assault and battery or destroying property-- why not. Kids need to be able to control themselves, otherwise they will be assisted to be safe- until they can regain control. I think it is the most humane thing to do if someone needs to learn a boundary that will help them from self destructive behavior in the future. I had to help a father with a kid with emotional problem having a meltdown as he dropped him off...the kid became aggressive in the class, blocking the doorway, the kids were frightened (3rd grade). He kicked his father in the nuts. Handcuffs would have been nice. Had to be secured to the ground so he didn't hurt anyone else. Then escorted away. Had he continued to struggle & be destructive, and touch from others only worsened the issue (ie "Don't touch me you %#$@"), handcuffs/restraints would have been helpful to help him calm down.
  • Michaelene 2012/04/23 11:40:42
    Michaelene
    +2
    When my kids threw temper tantrums, (2-3 yrs old) they would hurl themselves on the floor stomping their feet and crying in frustration or exhaustion.
    What's described abover is not a temper tantrum, it is destructive and dangerous behavior "she "threw a small shelf that struck the principal in the leg, and jumped on a paper shredder and tried to break a glass frame."

If you would have asked me this question 10 years ago I would have said NO way, no kids in cuffs. That was before a student in my 3rd grade class (his 3rd time) jumped up, knocking over desks with students in them and tried to beat me with a chair. Turns out, he was sent to my class because his last teacher was still in the hospital from 3 broken ribs and a fractured wrist from beaing beaten with a desk by this same student. Thank God, I had THEE security guards in my 3rd grade class.
  • Howling Hank 2012/04/23 09:26:14
    Howling Hank
    +2
    How about just tazing them as an option.
  • wow-really Howling... 2012/04/24 16:24:19
    wow-really
    +1
    There's nothing like the sound of tazer warming up, in the morning... ; )
    I ll tazer your ass
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/04/23 05:00:13
    Fariborz-Zak
    sometimes

2014/11/25 23:25:59