PUBLIC OPINION > Higher Taxes Stop People From Moving to Places Like New York and California

Left-wing talk show host Bill Maher surprised his "Real Time" audience recently by disagreeing with MSNBC host Rachel Maddow's stance on taxes. Maher spoke out against the high tax rates claiming, "And here in California, I just want to say liberals -- you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying -- over 50 percent. I'm willing to pay my share, but yeah it's ridiculous."

Newsmax took note of this and wanted to know where you stand on the issue, so they asked if high tax rates would stop you from moving to places with notoriously high tax rates, like New York or California. Over four hundred SodaHeads voted and we reached a verdict: an overwhelming majority of you (73%) wouldn't move to New York or California because of the high tax rates. However, as always, some demographics veered away from the majority more than others.

AGE MATTERS

All but one of the age groups voted that taxes would keep them from moving -- can you guess which one was the exception? Yep, it was the 13-17 year olds who said high taxes wouldn't keep them from moving, with 75%. No surprise here. The people that don't pay any taxes care the least about it.

THEY WORK HARD FOR THE MONEY

Employment status was another demographic worth looking into. Full-time employees were the most likely to say that taxes would affect their decision to move, with 80% -- and part-time employees weren't too far off either, with 70%. Meanwhile, unemployed users (62%) and students (59%) were a little less likely to care. It makes sense that if you're working hard for your money, you would want to hold on to more of it.

INCOME SHOCKER

The most interesting statistics we found were votes based on income. The majority (64%) of users in the top-earning brackets ($75K-$100K and $100K+) voted that high tax rates wouldn't stop them from moving. On the other hand, the majority of all other income brackets ($0-25K, $25K-50K and $50K-75K) voted that it would affect their decision. Only 25% from these groups said high taxes wouldn't change their moving situation. Pretty unexpected, right? Does this mean that much of the "one percent" are liberals, after all? Or have taxes ceased to be a concern because they have enough money?

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit Newsmax's poll about high taxes and moving. We'd love to hear from you!

• Faye 2013/05/19 21:20:25
    Faye
    Who wants to move to those places when you have Texas?
  • Sam 2013/03/29 17:08:04
    Sam
    I wouldn't move there anyways...you have any idea how crazy people are down there. Don't get me wrong...they can keep what they will have left. It doesn't take a scienctist to determine that California is bad for family living.
  • Michaelene 2013/03/29 12:35:35
    Michaelene
    I still find it hard to believe that Bill Maher did not knowingly vote for his own tax increases, or did he just pull a Pelosi (vote for it before your read it).

I would never move to either nanny state, CA or NY are too full of obots who embrace their sanctuary state mentality that is also a magnet for those who want more welfare money.
  • Jayachandran Superman 2013/03/29 09:23:15
    Jayachandran Superman
    Lets move to taxas and florida
  • Brian Jayacha... 2013/03/29 10:14:39
    Brian
    Don't come to Florida, I live here and have all my life and we have such a huge influx of people from the north east that they are bring the same disease down here that they helped put in place up there. Me I'm going to Texas or Arizona while there is still time.
  • bluelady 2013/03/29 03:30:20
    bluelady
    hubby and I are going to leave NY for Florida in 2 years
  • Jake Blanton 2013/03/28 07:41:50
    Jake Blanton
    I've seen houses in nice neighborhoods in Texas go for $300K that would easily go for $1M (and not be as new) in CA or NY (and not be in as nice of neighborhoods). Thanks to the Yankee retiree influx to Florida, the housing market is a bit overpriced, but not as bad as equivalent properties in CA or NY.
  • Jake Blanton 2013/03/28 07:34:57
    Jake Blanton
    +2
    It's not just higher taxes, it's the whole political climate of leftist places like that that keep people away from there. The higher taxes are just an indicator of how socialist the government is in those places.
  • Zoomie 2013/03/28 00:12:23
    Zoomie
    Actually, while many people have said, for years and years, that higher taxes make a difference in where they might live or work, there is little actual evidence it really matters.

Just a month or two ago, I read of a study that noted that following New Jersey lowering its corporate taxes, several major companies LEFT the state, for higher taxed New York and Connecticut.

The truth is, while tax rates may have an affect on the decision making process, it is rarely (if ever) a deciding factor. If high taxes alone made that much difference, the poverty ridden Southern states (which usually have the lowest taxes) would have every major corporation based there, and more millionaires than the rest of the nation combined. By contrast, California and New York would be deserted.

But if you have lower incomes, you stay where you can find work, and the taxes rarely make enough difference to move you from CA or NY for say AL or MS. Assuming you can even afford such a move. And if you're rich, those lower tax states often can't offer you the opportunities or the lifestyle you can easily afford to enjoy (as in theatre, restaurants, etc.).
  • MikeWon 2013/03/27 23:19:25
  • Crow 2013/03/27 22:02:54
    Crow
    +2
    Why would anybody want to move to NY City??? Money,oh hell no....too over crowded,no personal space, no peace and quite!!!!! Cali....too many gays and other nut cases!!!!!!
  • newleaf 2013/03/27 19:44:19
    newleaf
    I moved to New York (big taxes) from Seattle (no state or city taxes) and could not be happier you have to measure not only what you pay in taxes but what you benifit from the taxes you pay!!! I make more than double the money and have fabulous public services and transportation!!! It would have been silly of me not to move based on taxes!!!
  • painted desert 2013/03/27 17:59:05
    painted desert
    My husband is disabled and quite ill, and I'm self-employed. We do have rather fixed income, but we want to move out of New Mexico because surprisingly our taxes are as high or higher than when we were living in Massachusetts. I loved the smaller town we lived in, the quality of life was better, healthcare was a TON better(that part is very important with my husband's illness). I'm sick to death of all the crime in this city. I know it happens everywhere, but I'll do just about anything to cut that number down. So if that means moving, I'm out of here. Yes, the weather is wonderful most of the time here in NM, but I can and did get used to living in harsher conditions. It was well worth it to us.
  • Darr247 2013/03/27 16:57:31
    Darr247
    It the higher cost of living in general... a loft apartment in NYC costs 10x more than my house payment was (before I got it paid off).
  • middlesex1957 2013/03/27 06:18:50
    middlesex1957
    I've lived in the state of NY all my life. Several times I've considered jobs outside of NY and did the math on the move. I would have lost income on a lateral move every time. You get what you pay for. Now that I'm disabled I would never leave NY. All those taxes get spent on us and because we're all paying into it we get more bang for our buck. It's like buying in bulk - you get the discount, volume price on things you couldn't afford if everyone wasn't chipping in their fair share. Everyone wins and it's not like we don't have our share of greedy, overpaid billionaires sitting on more moneythan they could spend in 10 lifetimes and still terrified that they don't have enough so if you're counting them as an indication of how well off society is we've got that - high taxes and all. Look, no matter what you claim about us NY and CA give more into the system than we take out of it. Those states who claim they are superior because they don't pay taxes also aren't paying their way. They're bailed out by NY and CA. If they paid their fair share their taxes would by higher but they also wouldn't be on welfare from NY & CA. Look it up.
  • vj.toms.dayly 2013/03/27 06:03:34
    vj.toms.dayly
    krnhfedgv
  • Kenneth Huang 2013/03/27 03:56:53
    Kenneth Huang
    It seems silly to let taxes be a deciding factor in where you live. Isn't where the best job is more important?
  • ♥N A♥ 2013/03/26 23:43:40
    ♥N A♥
    For some, but not the wealthy
  • 2013/03/26 19:17:36
    States with property taxes, 12%sales tax, state income taxes, and federal taxes , auto taxes state fees , like Virginia are hurting as well ,poverty is here to stay while polititions,try to polish her image as great people are on the move empty homes everywhere, check it out.The American dream is dead
  • M 2013/03/26 02:43:33
    M
    +1
    It's the people... (taxes are also unpleasant)
  • claireaz1 2013/03/26 02:42:36
    claireaz1
    +2
    They couldn't pay me enough to move to those two states. I live in Arizona and love it.
  • fortycal_sig 2013/03/25 23:51:41
    fortycal_sig
    +2
    100K+ ? Plus what? These people aren't even close to being part of the mythical exploitative 1%. With today's rate of inflation, they're not even economically upper middle class.
  • cut and paste king 2013/03/25 21:28:52
    cut and paste king
    +1
    good. both cities are way overcrowded their higways are nightmares and the cost of living is for the rich new york city crowded
  • mac9 2013/03/25 16:59:11
    mac9
    +2
    They are both high cost nanny states. NO way.
  • Bob 2013/03/25 15:21:37
  • D S 2013/03/25 07:27:13
    D S
    +1
    Fortunately 20% of americans already live in california and I doubt there is much concern about bringing more people there. Yeah taxes may be high here but it was us the voters who chose to raise them on ourselves.
  • Blueskies D S 2013/03/27 04:00:05 (edited)
    Blueskies
    And ever more of those voters were coming from out of country and the east coast welfare rolls.
    California was hit mid 70's by flood of people that lasted years, fleeing New Jersey and New York Welfare Rolls to come to California, where they got 50% more.
    Recall the demographic changes in NYC ?
    They came to LA and Oakland.
    york welfare rolls california 50 recall demographic nyc la oakland
  • JeromefromLayton 2013/03/25 05:32:51
    JeromefromLayton
    High taxes fuel big, crappy, intrusive government. Not unlike finding out that you bought a house inside a Homeowners Association or finding out that "new" mattress is infested with bedbugs.
  • Mamaknows 2013/03/24 23:43:39
    Mamaknows
    LOL ALL of the "1%" that I know are LIBERAL....and very elitist types.
    As in poor people should be sterilized...violence is never the answer unless a little old lady is using her phone to record in front of a pp clinic(then it's ok to beat the cow down)....you should feel privileged for the gov to steal 50% of your income for the needy(and for the potus to take 6-7 vacations a year)..and it's ok for some to have guns because they need the protection but the average citizen that wants to keep their right to have guns is insanely right wing nut jobs that should just lay down when attacked.

They are PERFECTLY ok with volunteering everyone else's money to their glorious leaders but they should not have to put in...
    People are FLOODING away from CA in droves....many are the liberals that helped make this liberal utopia and are now unemployed and have to look else where for a job(usually in red states) spreading their liberal indoctrination(you WILL believe in their program or else) as they go. Things are shifting and it will not be pretty. Just take a close look at what the HS and SS and other gov agencies are buying in bulk....
    http://www.foxnews.com/politi...
    http://freedomoutpost.com/201...
    http://www.infowars.com/big-s...

What do they know that we don't?

http://www.foxnews.com/politi...
    http://freedomoutpost.com/201...
    http://www.infowars.com/big-s...

What do they know that we don't?
  • clasact 2013/03/24 20:49:58
    clasact
    +3
    It would stop me and add to it the tons of other regulations these states put on people and companies
  • LastRanger 2013/03/24 16:29:10
    LastRanger
    +2
    I just wish those morons would stop moving to my state. It seems that as soon as they get here, they start to whine about increasing social programs which would raise the very taxes they escaped from. They destroy their state, move here, and start to destroy mine. I think these people are suicidal.
    Analyst, Ph.D.
  • rich 2013/03/24 16:11:34
    rich
    +3
    Taxes are so far down the list of why I wouldn't live in NY or California that it is not even funny. Way, way behind, cold, gangs, earthquakes, fault lines, too many people, too much smog, horrible traffic, superficial people, predatory people, arrogance, hostility, road rage and on and on.
  • KW rich 2013/03/24 20:58:33
    KW
    Only a superficial person would assume everyone in a particular state is superficial, arrogant, predatory and hostile.
  • rich KW 2013/03/24 21:12:48
    rich
    And only an arrogant person would assume that I said, and wrongly repeat "everyone" when I did not say that! Might you be one of those people from one of those places that I was talking about? If so, you would be proving my point, however, there are many arrogant people all over the world. Some places just have higher concentration of them!
  • KW rich 2013/03/24 22:09:24 (edited)
    KW
    You stated the reason you wouldn't move to NY or Cali is they are superficial people. You didn't say "more superficial people than elsewhere"...you said superficial people. If we want to quantify it, than you assume, again from ignorance, that NY and Cali have more superficial people than where you are now.

Either way it's an ignorant statement.
  • rich KW 2013/03/24 23:01:38
    rich
    +1
    The more you talk, the more you support my opinion.
  • KW rich 2013/03/24 23:16:18
    KW
    Sure thing....
  • rich KW 2013/03/24 21:30:41
    rich
    Ahhh, I looked and of course, you are from New York. Go figure!
    arrogant new yorker
  • Blueskies rich 2013/03/24 22:05:34
    Blueskies
    +2
    Well, yes, that's become a good modern description of Los Angeles (minus the cold). A pure Democratic Paradise since they took over in 1975.
  • rich Blueskies 2013/03/24 22:45:07
    rich
    I don't know if politics has anything to do with it. I figured it is smog in LA, and too close proximity in NY City. Either way, both LA and NYC are very different from the rest of the country, and not in the best ways, though there are some good things. Still, not enough to make it worth living there for me. And what I know of NYC came long before 1975.

2014/09/22 02:15:24