PUBLIC OPINION > Facebook Stock Is the End of Zuckerberg's Reign

Mark Zuckerberg was all smiles when Facebook launched its IPO at $38 a share last month. But when prices dropped below $28, he was immediately ousted from Bloomberg's Billionaire Index, which lists the 40 richest people in the world. Does this mean Zuckerberg's days at the top of the social media food chain are through? Will he soon be replaced by MySpace 3.0? We asked the public.

It's a close call, but the public does not see good things in Zuckerberg's future. It's not like he's going to be out on the street or anything -- in fact, now that he owns millions of shares in the company, his wealth is more tangible than ever. But the drop does demonstrate a real lack of faith in the company's growth potential, which means Facebook could soon go the way of MySpace (and Zuckerberg the way of Tom). Although, the stock did take a leap toward $30 Thursday afternoon...

The Big Money's on Mark

Despite the lack of faith, voters who make more than $75,000 a year are putting their money on Facebook. Not literally, at least not that we know of, but they were far more likely to put in a vote of confidence. The stock did go up again on Thursday for the first time in a week, which is a good sign. Hey, the stock market's a crazy game. It's not over 'til the fat lady sells!

Teens Think It's the End

Leave it to the teens to sock it to Facebook. Teens were more eager to see the end of Zuckerberg's reign, probably because Timeline did their heads in a bit. Voters over the age of 55, on the other hand, kept cool and admitted that Zuckerberg could stay on top, though only by a small margin. Lucky for Zuckerberg, those teens probably aren't playing the market. Not yet, at least.

Smokers Shut Him Down

There was a lot of pessimism going around, but none were so sure as the smokers. Three-quarters of the smoking population was convinced it was curtains for Zuckerberg. Why is that? Could it be that smokers are a little more cynical in general? It fits a stereotype, but we couldn't say beyond the implications of this poll. Maybe their friends keep posting pictures of them with cigs in their hands on Facebook.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Mark Zuckerberg. We'd love to hear from you!

• ronbo 2012/06/02 06:14:48
    ronbo
    +6
    Zuckerberg is a smart cookie. He,ll find a way to survive this and get even richer in the process.

• liquidkool 2013/11/02 04:31:33
    liquidkool
    +2
    What does this have to do with the two hookers up top that got me to this page?
  • tusense 2012/09/04 20:58:52
    tusense
    +3
    Get rid of mr. suckerobamaassberg suckeciaberg and suckernsaberg and give us a company that respects the American people privacy rights which is our constitutional right. So don't replace him him with more suckers because we will go instead to a social network that looks at us more than just his products. Hey sucker berg you don't own people in this country! You may own a business but if you don't respect you customer, you don't stay in business. Must be that ivy league communist education you got at Harvard.
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/07/01 17:15:30
    Jorge Enriquez
    +1
    Who cares???
  • Frank OHara 2012/07/01 00:56:45
    Frank OHara
    It is tpical for stocks to go up during a IPO and just as typical for the value to fall after the IPO and regain over the months. Where will it end? Nobody really knows.
  • C.A. 2012/06/08 01:30:49
    C.A.
    I think Facebook was going down before it even entered the stock market. Too many changes on the GUI in a very short period of time. A lot of my friends lost interest because they couldn't find anything. Great features have been sacrificed for better looks. Bad decisions which made Facebook more a daily pain than relaxing fun. I think Google+ will take over soon.
  • Suzie 2012/06/05 19:52:07
    Suzie
    +1
    Do you actually think he cares? With all his money and success, seriously why should he.
  • L K 2012/06/05 19:44:04
    L K
    +1
    He will get back on track. He's a sharp kid.
  • ChumptyDumpty 2012/06/05 19:14:14
    ChumptyDumpty
    Facebook is now boring and old stuff? LET'S ADD A NEW APPLICATION.
  • Gray Pilgrim 2012/06/05 18:35:33
    Gray Pilgrim
    +1
    Dump Faebook... Go to Church, Temple, Mosque or wherever you worship...

GOD leads the original social media outlet
  • Gray Pilgrim 2012/06/05 18:30:38
    Gray Pilgrim
    +2
    Mr Zuckerberg the Social Misfit has spent years on his plan to destroy as many americans social lives and now is on a path to their financial ruin throough his stock manipulations.

He is the Socially inept verion of Bernie Madoff
  • Chris Tate 2012/06/05 17:33:30
    Chris Tate
    It wasn't the best time to do it Facebook was already declining in terms of popularity
  • Tennessee3501 2012/06/05 17:22:43 (edited)
    Tennessee3501
    I have never undertood how Facebook got to be so popular when My Space was there first and other social sites were already on the scene. Now, it is so popular, and I predict the stocks will rebound.
  • Aidoff Obama 2012/06/05 17:13:54
    Aidoff Obama
    If i was him I wouldnt care much, still got money..
  • Space Invader 2012/06/05 16:59:26
    Space Invader
    +1
    I think he'll be going to jail or lose everything. The lawsuits are already piling up...BUT; these people were nuts for investing in a website anyway.....it's not a factory, or a grocery chain; or a physical business...it's FB for crying out loud.....
  • crossboy56 2012/06/05 16:47:10
    crossboy56
    If he stop and cancel facebook.It would be like the man who stop 10 feet short of finding gold, before he sold the gold mine.The next person to buy the gold mine become wealthy over night he only had to dig 10 feet. All he would need to do is add a spell check,and add unlimited ability to write unlimited lines on facebook. His stocks are doing better than some newspapers.
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/06/05 06:22:13
    Fariborz-Zak
    no,disagree
  • nemorally 2012/06/05 03:06:56
    nemorally
    +3
    Shares that decline in value don't lower the amount of money the owner of a business makes... it just means that the value of the percentage investors hold is declining, Zuckerberg will still be making billions of dollars, his investors just won't have confidence in him, he's recieved the amount he wanted when he sold the shares
  • The One 2012/06/05 03:00:19
    The One
    Yep!
  • Jay Jays 2012/06/05 01:28:17
    Jay Jays
    ..
  • 214scifi 2012/06/04 23:14:20
    214scifi
    +1
    Either way he wins. He could retire right now.
  • keeper 2012/06/04 18:00:38
    keeper
    +1
    FB is down another $1.05 to 26.67 today!!! Another Trillion lost for Mark!
  • Walter Harris 2012/06/04 15:22:22
    Walter Harris
    he is german decendant so maybe he is trying to be like hitler and rule the world
  • thє вlu... Walter ... 2012/06/05 04:40:03
  • 'Zedd 2012/06/04 12:59:21
  • AminaAliya 2012/06/04 11:45:14
    AminaAliya
    +2
    thats what you get for being greedy and selling shares for $38!
  • Walter ... AminaAliya 2012/06/04 15:24:20
    Walter Harris
    +3
    what about the dumbasses that bought the shares for that price
  • Melda V... Walter ... 2012/06/04 17:27:00
    Melda Valdez
    ha!ha!ha!..HA!!
  • spuig Maurice 2012/06/04 11:35:30
    spuig Maurice
    +3
    I hope that he finds a way to survive his large company.

[...]
  • tff~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/04 10:07:25
    tff~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    The stock was merely over priced. By the way, just what does Facebook produce besides gossip?
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/06/04 06:44:18
  • beach bum 2012/06/04 05:03:05
    beach bum
    have to give him credit for making facebook....a slight bump in the road for him
  • Gregortimski 2012/06/04 03:52:29
    Gregortimski
    +4
    Facebook tried and failed to stop:

Africa for the Africans,Asia for the Asians,white countries for EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionj...

They say they are anti-racist.What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white
  • Melda V... Gregort... 2012/06/04 13:41:57
    Melda Valdez
    +3
    exactly WHAT does this have to do with fb stock?..... personally i'm tired of hearing about racial issues. ppl will always die, no matter what. EVERY race has had a genocide in their time, from the north american indian tribes to the south in the english/ spanish conquests, jewish, japanese, chinese, and all kinds of civil wars.
  • thє вlu... Melda V... 2012/06/04 13:45:02
  • Walter ... Melda V... 2012/06/04 15:35:40
    Walter Harris
    +1
    being racist is under educated and shows it. Yes I said the Klan is under or uneducated. I don't care how smart the lawyer is, he is still uneducated.
    Now to answer your question, race has nothing to do with fb except that he is also uneducated to bring up the race card to begin with.
  • Walter ... Gregort... 2012/06/04 15:30:45
    Walter Harris
    +1
    and you actually believe this to be true.
    I hope you are not that nieve, racism is not just a black and white thing, it is a anti race thing. Since cane and able, the world has been trying to kill each other based on difference of "what ever"
  • JasonVo... Gregort... 2012/06/04 20:57:44
    JasonVorhees111
    +1
    You are Pathetic in every way, why are you posting this here? what 'genocide' are you on about, i'm white and i don't see any genocide, i am anti-racist, does that mean i hate myself... you clearly have no idea what you're on about
  • Freight85 2012/06/04 02:28:32
    Freight85
    Who me care?
  • ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣ 2012/06/04 02:26:48
    ♣Tanor Zeta Faux♣
    I think he'll find a way. If he doesn't, Google will buy it right out of him. Just like how Google scammed its way into Youtube, and this +1 business. The FB Timeline, I've grown used to, and it's quite useful. I don't "hate" FB. I just don't really use it much, but I do use it to connect my good friends and family though. Hmmm.
  • Eyes See Wide North 2012/06/04 02:20:39
    Eyes See Wide North
    +3
    The man is a genius and a smart businessman.

He has already moved into others area he may find brilliance in, and there is no doubt in my mind he is to discover more revolutionary ideas to better our world.

It is not unusual for a man with this kind of intelligence to work with up too 100 different variations of companies, first hand or just investment.

I think it is insane that people could imagine someone like this to just give up.

2014/10/23 06:50:46