PUBLIC OPINION > Downing Hand Sanitizer Is the Dumbest Way to Get Intoxicated

Kids are always coming up with new ways of getting high. Sniff this marker, lick this toad. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And occasionally, it has dire consequences. One such trend that's been gaining momentum over the last couple years is ingesting hand sanitizer because of its high alcohol content. Some kids are even filming themselves doing it and putting it up on YouTube. Since March, the California Poison Control System has dealt with 16 cases from Los Angeles County teens. Since 2010, they've dealt with 60 cases. We asked the public if this was the dumbest method of intoxication they've heard of.

Thankfully, most people agree this is the dumbest idea thus far. We could speculate on things that would be worse, but we don't want to give the whippersnappers any ideas. They'll put that ish on YouTube. But hand sanitizer? Just because it has alcohol in it? That's pretty low. And by low, we mean stupid. So, let's get to the stats.

Men Are More Likely

We realize the wording on this question was a little confusing. Just because men were less inclined to say it's the dumbest way of getting intoxicated doesn't necessarily mean they're more likely to go through with it. However, we did a YouTube search and didn't see many females engaging in the activity, so we're inclined to think there is a subtle connection.

Drinkers Don't Show as Much Concern

We're not quite sure how to take this. Drinkers were less likely to say it's the dumbest method of intoxication they've seen. We suppose that shouldn't be too surprising. Spend enough time in bars, and you're bound to see something pretty dumb. We just hope they aren't speaking from first-hand experience.

With Age Comes Wisdom

Voters were more appalled as they got older, as they should be. That could mean one of two things: Either people become less inclined to do things like, you know, drink whatever's under the sink, or younger people have seen stupider things. They are on YouTube a lot more often, and YouTube is a pretty crazy place. We're gonna say it's both.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about hand sanitizer. We'd love to hear from you!

• Sheila Crimson 2012/05/01 20:14:33
    Sheila
    +1
    OMG you are kidding me!!! ICK. I cant ever write that big enough to convey the ICK I feel right now....
  • Crimson Sheila 2012/05/01 20:27:46 (edited)
    Crimson
    +1
    I had the same reaction the first time when I heard about it XD , stupid people do weird things ... but they'll probably going to get themselves killed before they get the chance to reproduce.
  • Sheila Crimson 2012/05/02 15:55:45
    Sheila
    LOL, from your lips to God's ear! I guess they are another bunch that should read the Darwin Awards....
    http://www.darwinawards.com/
  • Angecael 2012/04/30 05:17:22
    Angecael
    You don't say?
  • Liv 2012/04/30 04:48:46
    Liv
    Yes! of course it is. It just gets worse and worse. I mean, really? Hand sanitiser. Ive seen that in movies but.... omg seriously? thats just ridiciulous.
  • GUY FAWKES 2012/04/30 04:02:49
    GUY FAWKES
    +1
    I had a friend who was getting high off of Coca Cola and gummy bears, and he was tripping balls! I have been trying to duplicate his actions but my household only has diet coke and the closest thing to gummy bears I have is chips ahoy cookies. So far these things have only given me a slight buzz, but then again I haven't snorted them either, I have been inserting them anally with little to no effect. I guess I will try again tomorrow.
  • beachbum 2012/04/30 03:39:17
    beachbum
    Scary, scary, scary.
  • Larissa Haig 2012/04/30 02:32:31
    Larissa Haig
    yes it is
  • being me 2012/04/30 01:40:30
    being me
    +1
    That's dangerous. When I was in high school it was scope, then spray paint. Can they at least keep it to something that is digestable?
  • James 2012/04/30 01:39:08
    James
    +1
    Those who deliberately poison themselves with alcohol don't deserve to be alive in the first place....

Stupidity needs to be bred out of people. The only way we can do that is to let stupid people kill themselves (or get killed somehow) which would prevent them from procreating with other stupid people.
  • Liv James 2012/04/30 04:51:55
    Liv
    What is this? Survival of the fittest? I mean, really, they are just dumb kids. A lot of people do stupid things - that doesnt mean they should die. It means that they should be guided and learn the error of their ways, it doesnt always work, but that does mean that they should be killed. And people don't breed stupidity you idiot. They influence it.
  • James Liv 2012/04/30 21:06:38
    James
    There's a difference between being a dumb kid and doing something completely idiotic like this. Getting into fights at the movie theater, mooning unsuspecting individuals, belching contests along with lewd comments towards the opposite sex are all signs of being dumb kids. In reality its harmless fun. Drinking pure alcohol, huffing inhalants, or running a meth lab goes way beyond stupid harmless fun. That's a recipe for disaster. God forbid these individuals learn how to make their own moonshine and manages to get a bad batch.... There is no excuse for enabling the behavior for highly functional retards. Let them have their Darwin awards and send them out on their way.
  • bob h. James 2012/04/30 21:57:32
    bob h.
    George Washington was a gentleman farmer who grew and discovered how to distill Rye Whiskey, and cut into the European and Carribean whiskey trade. That and growing Hemp, Booze and Pot financed the American Revolution.
  • James bob h. 2012/05/01 01:35:02 (edited)
    James
    If you know what you're doing, making your own whiskey can be quite profitable (as long as you give Uncle Sam his cut). I honestly have no problem with the commercial distribution of marijuana either. However, there have been cases in the 20's of people making their own moonshine and there are things they have done wrong that when consumed, made the individuals first blind, and then dead shortly after. I appreciate the history lesson though, good form :-)
  • Liv James 2012/05/11 04:50:29
    Liv
    Yes, all true statements. However, life is a gift, and we have no right to judge the way they live their lives unless it directly affects us in a harmful - malicious or otherwise- way. Furthermore, that isn't the issue that I was referring to; you said, I quote 'The only way we can do that ....which would prevent them from procreating with other stupid people.' As I pointed out previously, idiots don't breed stupidity, they influence it.
  • James Liv 2012/05/12 03:44:28
    James
    Good to see you back Liv. In some ways I think maybe you are correct in this case. There have been plenty of crack babies in our time that have made themselves meaningful lives. But then I suppose we can't label them victims anymore considering it is their choice to be influenced by stupidity.
  • Liv James 2012/05/11 05:03:06
    Liv
    +1
    Okay, first of all, Mister Aaaaaaaaaaanderson. Hahahaha sorry, your picture reminded me of that quote. In all seriousness though, although all of the points you make are completely true, that isn't the issue. You said, I quote "The only way we can do that is to let stupid people kill themselves (or get killed somehow) which would prevent them from procreating with other stupid people." Contrary to your opinion, idiots do not breed stupidity, they influence it. Kindly don't go blathering on about things you clearly don't understand. It isn't becoming for your image.
  • James Liv 2012/05/12 03:46:02
    James
    Quiet you, I was drinking.....
  • bob h. James 2012/04/30 21:51:13
    bob h.
    +1
    If that were true, religion would have done it years ago.
  • James bob h. 2012/05/01 01:39:58
    James
    Religion didn't go far enough. Religious zealots wanted to fight each other over the Holy Land plenty of times. Like the land itself isn't soaked in blood in the first place. They wanted to kill in the name of God and continue to kill in the name of God. We have seen Christians against Jews, Jews against Muslims, Muslims against Christians, as well as religious sects fighting among themselves (Sunni vs. Shia and Catholics vs. Protestants). The only problem with these fights is that innocent people who do not wish to fight and would rather live normal simple lives are often caught in the middle.
  • Liv James 2012/05/11 04:53:28
    Liv
    +1
    Organised religion generally doesn't work, power and corrupt attitudes get in the way of good intentions and morality. Much like politics.
  • James Liv 2012/05/12 03:49:13
    James
    "It is necessary for him who lays out a state and arranges laws for it to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope."

-- Niccolo Machiavelli
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/04/30 01:39:03
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Yes, could be toxic in quantity.
  • RicardoCabeza 2012/04/29 23:22:38
    RicardoCabeza
    A little sprig of mint, maybe an olive?... One would have to ask if this desire the method behind Jello shots.
  • hasher 2012/04/29 22:15:23
    hasher
    +2
    of course its stupid. it could kill you. im glad none of my kids were stupid enough to try anything like that. and i raised 4 boys. i think i taught them enough common sense. plus we spent a lot of time doing things with our kids. hopefully they were high on life. at least it seemed that way. we were always thinking of ways to have fun with them.
  • Jewelle... hasher 2012/04/30 04:56:35
    Jewellery Gal
    You have good mothering.
  • bob h. hasher 2012/04/30 22:00:30
    bob h.
    Compare that to deaths from prescription drugs. One of the most dangerous things you can do is see a Dr.
  • Phil 2012/04/29 22:14:18
    Phil
    +2
    Never thought it would happen. Stupid kids, I hope they burn their stomach lining up just enough to where they won't want to ingest anything with alcohol anymore.
  • Roberto 2012/04/29 22:12:18
    Roberto
    +1
    There are only two things that are infinite, the first is the universe and the second is the human stupidity.
    I don't know if human beings can be dumber than this -facepalm-
    facepalm
    AND
    facepalm
  • Living Ichigo 2012/04/29 21:03:48
    Living Ichigo
    +4
    My God. What's happened to teens these days? First, Project X, now this?
  • megan Living ... 2012/04/29 21:38:27
    megan
    +2
    nothing... but oppression which has pushed them to do stupid things to have the same liberties as "adults".
  • billboard_hero 2012/04/29 19:49:41
  • rightagain 2012/04/29 19:46:53 (edited)
    rightagain
    +1
    As I was once a wrecker driver I saw teens were the crashed into a moving train broadside while sniffing freon,Crashed into a tree head on while sniffing locker room. We've seen the news when kids smoked flowers from the highway medians and OD'd or household cleaner. In my youth and I grew up in the 70's they started huffing "PAM".I would rather see them smoke pot cause it is not as harmful as chemicals. Humans are going to always look for something that alters their normal consciences. I have known people that have drank a 5/th of jack danels and not show signs of being drunk but some that become goofy after 2 beers.That's true with anything you use but you have the responsabilty of self control for all of lifes sins you posses so if you are going to teach kids how to have great BUT SAFE SEX.........Then why not teach them how to enjoy beeing inebriated Safely with responsibly. Maybe we should make it really bad for drug dealers that sell chemical drugs and psychedelic drugs and prescription drugs.

Some times people that can't scale cliffs ,shouldn't. Just like some people should not indulge in being high. african animals getting drunk
  • BrownEyes538 2012/04/29 19:41:13
    BrownEyes538
    if they wanna die let em. its not hurting the world 2 hav less stupidity in it.
  • A Founding Father 2012/04/29 19:33:29
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Perhaps the hospitals should just let them go, else they will live and probably reproduce themselves, further degenerating the genes poolt there which is already nearing monkey
    levels of rearward evolution.
  • Stan Zebell 2012/04/29 19:01:50
    Stan Zebell
    +2
    Problem is, we offer our opinions, legitimizing the "problem" as opposed to alienating the morons who are doing this. To accept bad behavior with anything other than marginalization encourages searching for behavoiral boundaries. This leads to pushing further and further, until eventually someone dies. The normal response of punishment for such action is marginalized as pop-psych makes excuses for behavior and the push in search of a boundary continues. In the past 20-30 years the adults have totally blown their responsibility for socializing the "future of our country" by refusing to designate boundaries.
  • A Found... Stan Ze... 2012/04/30 03:28:18
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Well, Nancy said "Just say no", Barbara said "Who?", Roslyn said "Pray for them", George said "I couldn't care any less", Bill said "We all did that". and Barack said "Ya gotta be kiddin". Now, haven't we done enough to prove we don't want to bite the hand that feeds our campaign coffers?
  • DavidK 2012/04/29 18:12:05
    DavidK
    Its just God's way of filtering out the stupid...........
  • Liv DavidK 2012/04/30 04:53:46
    Liv
    no. just no.
  • DavidK Liv 2012/04/30 11:10:11
    DavidK
    Hey, it works!

2014/11/24 20:25:07