PUBLIC OPINION > Donald Trump Would Not Make a Good Vice President

Donald Trump's aspirations for becoming president didn't last very long, but he's still interested in a run for office. The billionaire recently announced that he thinks he would make a good vice president tacking his own name on at the end of a list that included New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Some suspect he was kidding, but we asked the public anyway.

The public didn't really take Trump seriously when he was talking about running for president, and it's not biting now. More than three-quarters of respondents think Trump would be a poor choice for VP, and with Team Romney's super-specific data collection, that means they'll probably pick up on the lack of support and go for someone else. Even some of his "support" was tongue-in-cheek. The Top Opinion read, "This is all Obama needs to guarantee victory."

Conservatives Consider Trump

Despite low levels of support, he actually did pretty well with the conservative base 43%), which is really the only base that matters here. Well, moderates will definitely play a big part in this race, but he only pulled about 19% of them. Liberals were even lower (11%), verifying that most of the support wasn't sarcastic.

The Big Money Won't Bail Him Out

There was actually a pretty large sample of voters who made over $100k, and almost none of them supported Trump. That's a big hinderance if he wants to get cozy with the so-called "Williams-Sonoma Republican." On the other hand, it could help to win over the lower income brackets Romney might be worried about. Then again, the lower brackets weren't very supportive either.

Marriage Makes a Difference

The age breakdown was too inconsistant to draw any hard conclusions from, but married voters were nearly twice as likely to support Trump as voters who were single or in an unmarried relationship. Usually that indicates an age difference, as married people tend to be a little bit older, on average, and it does provide a vague idea of how the age breakdown turned out.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Donald Trump. We'd love to hear from you!

• TheNigh... Adakin ... 2012/05/31 18:32:12
    TheNightFly
    +1
    Ron Paul is still running for President. He hasn't dropped out of the presidential race, he merely ended his campaign tour.
  • Adakin ... TheNigh... 2012/05/31 19:13:55
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Yeah, right.

Cain, Perry, Newt and Bachman and who ever I left out all said the same thing... so I guess they are all still in the running as well?
  • TheNigh... Adakin ... 2012/05/31 23:28:54
    TheNightFly
    +2
    They aren't on the ballot, Ron Paul is. In fact, I just mailed my ballot this morning and Ron Paul was clearly printed on it.
  • gary Adakin ... 2012/05/31 15:34:32
    gary
    +1
    ya there a million of us going in november to write in Ron Paul. We don't flip flop period.
  • Adakin ... gary 2012/05/31 16:25:31
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Doing the same thing over and over, while expecting a different result... Yeah, please let me now how that works out for you...
  • gary Adakin ... 2012/06/01 04:56:56
    gary
    +1
    I will not be forced into mitt. By the Rinos. Period.
  • Tuna Adakin ... 2012/05/31 17:15:58
    Tuna
    +2
    A new Continental Congress; what we have doesn't work because too many are Constitutionally illiterate; they vote for that Social Security check, or the welfare check, or the unemployment check instead of liberty. This is the 1st POTUS in HISTORY that has not had a quarter (3 months) with 4% growth or better. Almost 4 years, even Carter wasn't that bad,
  • Adakin ... Tuna 2012/05/31 17:39:43
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Both Johnson and Paul share the same core values. The difference is that Johnson is still in the game and Paul has a major public voice. I was really hoping that the two would join forces and help Johnson get some traction from the MSM where there is never a mention of any other party than the two majors.
  • Tuna Adakin ... 2012/05/31 17:48:33
    Tuna
    +2
    I don't know why Gary Johnson and Ron Paul didn't join forces while the republican/rino circular firing sqaud was chosing a candidate; what a bunch of rinos and losers. Romney was CHOSEN, he was designated from the beginning; his turn to run for POTUS.
  • Adakin ... Tuna 2012/05/31 18:04:16 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Yup... the GOP has a tendency to do that... to shoot themselves in the foot (recalling Bob Dole, John McCain and Bush Version 2.0... always going with the RINOs...)

Yes Romney will beat Obama, but it will continue to be business as usual in Washington...which is exactly what the ruling class wants....(and why I'm voting for Gary Johnson)
  • Tuna Adakin ... 2012/05/31 18:43:11
    Tuna
    Republicans weren't too happy about Reagan especially the establishment; Reagan had too much libertarian blood in him. I think Romney "MAY" be alright for the economy unles he blames Obama for four years. The social issues will go more and more left; government will be in every aspect from the womb to the tomb, in most places it ought not be. And if course the more the government grows the more money it has to have. Damn, what is it the average American pays 60% of his income in taxes/sales tax/income tax/property tax/tax tax. And then almost every time you buy something retail or start your car, a foreign country gets a % of what you earn. This is all screwed up.
  • SJG 2012/05/30 14:33:51
    SJG
    +2
    Another egotistical bastard in Washington, nope, we have enough!
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/05/30 13:18:33 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
    Conservatives and married people seem to be the most delusional in this poll.
    I'm still sticking to my last attitude when trump last made his attempt for the White House.

frump and falin
  • Tuna Picasso... 2012/05/30 16:57:38 (edited)
    Tuna
    +1
    When was that? Trump and Palin? never heard of that one; a little delusional I would say, aren't you?
  • Picasso... Tuna 2012/06/01 16:19:26
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    Guess you don't get around much. Trump and Palin did meet to discuss running for the White House months ago, but then they called it off when public opinion laughed them out of the race, lol.
    I'm delusional to those who are unaware of current events in the political arena.
  • Tuna Picasso... 2012/06/02 15:31:12 (edited)
    Tuna
    Trump is a democrat; always been a democrat, always supported $$$ democrats; what in the hell would Palin and/or the Tea Party have to do with a democrat?? You'd better give me a link; something more than your misguided statement. If I am not mistaken Palin and Trump don't regard each other very highly. Trump thought Palin was a big mistake for McCain. Green Party?? what the hell is that, another outfit scaring people out of their hard earned money; green party/green energy/green jobs; no such freaking thing !!!
  • OneLast... Picasso... 2012/05/31 17:00:49 (edited)
    OneLastWord
    +2
    Were delusional alright, delusionary for;

A real government for the people by the people:
    A government that don't spend every year more tax money than they take in:
    A government that honors American family values and don't cater to ever P.C., P.O.S. issue:
    A government that has the same benefits that they offer us, and stops spending our kid’s future:
    A government that’s business minded and knows this is the way to help our country:

Could go on and on, but “The Donald” is NOT the answer for VP.

Getting the Obummer out of office is a must beginning before he destroys America and declares it a 57 state muslin country. Ha, what an armature and utter douche bag he is.

Nice cartoon replication anyway.
  • Picasso... OneLast... 2012/06/01 16:26:36
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    hey, did not mean I was talking bout you, was refering to those in the poll. I don't stereotype all of one group because of a few disgruntled, lol.
    Yupp, we the peple are gonna get rid of Obama and get another baffoon to take his place.
    Talk about switching horses in midstream, lol, we are going to switch from a horse to a donkey.
    A government for the people, by the people ???????
    We ain't had that for a long, long time I'm afraid!!!!
  • OneLast... Picasso... 2012/06/02 15:19:49
    OneLastWord
    +1
    Yea, I hear ya,.. A “government by the people FOR the people” is still a good ideal but got stuffed as soon as the Continental Congress had its first sessions. We can still dream.

I am not afraid of the “new donkey” or whatever you want to call him destroying this country with Executive Orders and extreme left wing W.H. radicals Czar circumventing Congresses power and setting president rulings that will be very hard for the next Americanized administration to kill or reverse.

How bad can this switching’s houses be?

Already had my fill of Donkeynomics from this present ass-hole.
  • Picasso... OneLast... 2012/06/02 15:32:39
    Picasso's Cat
    Yupp, I mean how bad could it get???
    We could get Mitt Romney in there with a maybe vice president as Hillery Clinton???
    And through their business logic they start world war three thinking business logic trumps common sense, and most of us die in the aftermath of that mandate.
    "Who would have thought" will be the new logo for America for decades to come, and maybe you and yours will survive, who knows?
    A positive point in that outcome????
    There will be no unemployment, jobs for everyone that can work!!!!
    That's one scenario.
    good lord no
    Want nightmares??? Memorize this scenario.
  • OneLast... Picasso... 2012/06/02 16:16:51
    OneLastWord
    Don't get your point Green Party. Business NEVER out trumped common sense.
    Good Business logic IS common sense!

Do you follow politics much?
    Talking about Hillary and Romney in the same breath is ludicrous.

But I’m thinking either one as president would be a gargantuan improvement to what we have. Providing either one gets rid of that radical W.H. Admin.

However, I see as our replies go you’re maybe an Obummer lover, or just maybe a Blue Dog Democrat.
  • Picasso... OneLast... 2012/06/03 10:46:29
    Picasso's Cat
    You don't pay attention my friend, I'm with the Green Party, always have been. I think democrats and republicans have been screwing up America for long enough, time to let people that know what they are doing lead America for all the people, not just the rich.
    Business never out trumped common sense?????
    Then what was the bailouts??????, and the de-regulation of Americas financial systems by Bill Clinton that caused all this crap to happen by giving loopholes to banks and wall street so they could fleece America and put it in the toilet.
    I voted for Ralph Nader in 2008, and in 3 prior presidental runs he had, and I will vote for the Green Party in the 2012 presidental run, because the democrats and republicans don't have a decent representative for the American people.
    And the Hillary and Romney thing was not my idea, as some people in the wealthy circles think the one who gave Obama a run for his money (hillery) is the best ticket for Romney to win by a landslide against Obama.
    Don't matter to me who Romney picks, he's a loser to me, and a bad representative for America.
  • Ryoka∞Boy 2012/05/30 12:04:13
    Ryoka∞Boy
    True true.
  • Tuna Lady Wh... 2012/05/30 16:23:02
    Tuna
    He's a damn democrat; always been a democrat. Tells you something about RINO Romney doesn't it?
  • Lady Wh... Tuna 2012/05/30 17:15:02
    +1
    True... more like one 1%-er supporting ANOTHER 1%-er!!!!
  • Tuna Lady Wh... 2012/05/31 17:20:08 (edited)
    Tuna
    There you go with that 1% crap; did you know the lower income people, the poorest citizens live better than MOST around the rest of the world because capitalism has GIVEN everyone a shot. Sure we have poor, always have/always will; it's not like we haven't given $$ yillions and $$ yillions to help; to get rid of poverty and we still got it. So, so many we could GIVE them $1 million today and they will be right back where they are within a month. That is nobody's fault but their own.
  • Lady Wh... Tuna 2012/05/31 17:53:31
    +1
    Fine.... YUO go support the WEALTHY, then.... I DON'T WANT TO!
  • Tuna Lady Wh... 2012/05/31 17:58:27
    Tuna
    Support them? Let's just kick them all out; take their businesses with them. No more new homes, new cars, new yachts; no more new businesses with new jobs. We don't need their help, the USA can magically create new jobs to replace their buisinesses when they are gone; we can all work for each other; make the same amount of money; have the same possessions; but WAIT, who will we work for when we run them all out? the government? with all that tax money gone the government will not be able to pay the bills. Owhat the hell, kick all them evil rich bastards out, huh.
  • Lady Wh... Tuna 2012/05/31 19:29:53
    +1
    That makes NO sense whatsoever....
  • Tuna Lady Wh... 2012/06/01 15:55:11
    Tuna
    Well what do you OWS want; if we don't have the rich we will fire all the employees at those swanky restaurants and resorts and spas; fire all the Cadillac employees nobody to buy Cadillacs any more. Fire all of the "fine furniture" employees; fire all of the gardeners, housekeepers; then fire all the garden suppliers and cleaning supply employees; we won't need them if we don't have the rich and nobody will have the ambition to get rich. A complete totalitarian, marxist society that has FAILED everywhere else it has been tried. Some rich had it handed to them but MOST worked for it. Do you know how many $$ millionaires Steve Jobs made on his way up? or Arthur Blank (Home Depot)? I have an uncle that dropped out in the 8th grade, a self-made $$ millionaire; owns most of a small town in N.C. We need those people that are willing to use their hard eamoney, RISK their money to provide jobs and opportunity for the rest of us. Cut out the rich and cut out most of the money the Federal Government gets through taxes; then what??
  • mayraella Tuna 2012/05/30 22:28:11
    mayraella
    He is a Republican now and if you listen to him, he makes sense. Mitt would say anything to get elected and the only thing he has going for him is Obama. The trouble is there are so many blind to Obama.
    t
  • Tuna mayraella 2012/05/31 17:22:38
    Tuna
    +1
    The deck has been stacked, lately, against "we the people"; this WORLD economy is one high stakes poker game and we don't have a seat at the table. Trump's good points/ideas are almost identical to Ron Paul's only Trump is a professional self-promoter.
  • harry 2012/05/30 07:52:10
    harry
    +2
    He would make for a good clown. Actually he scams the public to think he cares about our country. When all he really cares about is his name. He just gets himself in the news to promote his icon name. He is a greedy fake man. He was born in South Africa. He is not even an American citizen. His mother got pregnant while on vacation in South Africa and lived there for 2 years. His real father is an English porn star.
  • redhorse29 2012/05/30 06:30:27
    redhorse29
    ok
  • gocar 2012/05/30 04:01:16
    gocar
    +2
    Oh yes please. Mitt Romney taking Trump as VP would be heaven sent.
  • SJG gocar 2012/05/30 14:34:46
    SJG
    +3
    Yes, heaven sent for the Obama campaign.
  • Nonpart... SJG 2012/06/01 22:37:48
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    Or anyone else running against the Donald.
  • SJG Nonpart... 2012/06/02 17:38:57
  • Pam 2012/05/30 03:35:58
    Pam
    +1
    Just because he made it big in business doesn't mean he will be a good anything in politics

2014/09/20 02:04:59