PUBLIC OPINION > Conservatives Were Rooting for Santorum

It's been a long, grueling primary season, but Mitt Romney has all but secured the GOP ticket. Rick Santorum, his primary opponent (no pun intended), dropped out of the race on Tuesday because it would have taken a miracle to win enough delegates, and his team felt it was time to unite the Republican party for the general election. In the wake of Sanotorum's resignation, we asked the public who was rooting for him.

This one is a little tricky, because political alignment doesn't just have profound affect on how people are going to vote -- it's essential to the question. Only 23% of the general public was voting for Santorum, but that includes liberals and progressives, who are probably rooting for Obama; libertarians, who are probably rooting for Ron Paul; and moderates, who could be rooting for anyone. We've got to take a closer look.

Conservatives Had Santorum's Back

A lot of respondents were referring to Santorum as an impossible candidate, and based on primary results that seemed to be the case, but more than half of conservative voters supported him. Every other political alignment combined averaged about 13% support, including libertarians.

Young Voters Can't Stand Him

Further evidence that older voters skew conservative, young voters supporting Santorum were practically nonexistant. Between the ages of 13 and 24, he received just 5% of the vote. But be careful not to infer that young voters are liberals. On the political spectrum, the lowest level of Santorum support and, we believe, most likely to represent young voters was "Other."

Smokers Throw Santorum a Bone

Believe it or not, smokers were significantly more likely to support Santorum. It could be that Santorum's conservative leanings make him an unlikely candidate to bring back the idea of slapping those disturbing images on the packages. Government regulation. They don't want it.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about Rick Santorum. We'd love to hear from you!

• Headhunter 13 2012/04/11 16:43:56 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +15
    I am an Independent and a Pennsylvanian. You couldn't pay me to vote for santorum. There are many reasons he lost his seat here and he would have been you worst nightmare. Unless you want to revert to the dark ages and the inquisition

• Nan Nomad T... 2012/04/11 17:24:04
    Nan
    +4
    You just explained what a Democrat is!!!
  • Sam Nan 2012/04/11 17:29:21
    Sam
    +2
    Oh, nice come back! It fits the rest of your lame, know nothing comments.
  • jim Sam 2012/04/11 17:42:49
    jim
    +2
    some people need the government to pay their way for everything,is that you?
    thegovernment is the tax payers money
  • Thisism... jim 2012/04/11 17:51:14
  • Nan Thisism... 2012/04/12 19:00:54
    Nan
    And that's your best reply? reply
  • Thisism... Nan 2012/04/11 17:49:42
  • Nan Thisism... 2012/04/12 19:04:06
    Nan
    It's sad there's no hope for people like you!

sad hope people
  • Nomad T... Nan 2012/06/24 13:18:52
    Nomad Telepath A.M.O.R.C
    You guys have the good bumper stickers. I will not argue with you. We will see. I watch and read conservative news. The lies and hateful propaganda is crazy. It's has made me and my friends stock up our guns and ammo. I'm real liberal when it comes to sharing lead.
  • jim Nomad T... 2012/04/11 17:40:12
    jim
    sounds like te Whitehouse gang to me
  • The Bee Guy 2012/04/11 17:01:55
    The Bee Guy
    +5
    Young voters have little experience with any other then liberals, have little or no idea where our nation came from, or the terrible direction it is headed. I fear that Santorum was the only candidate who cared, or understood. This country is in very very deep and muddy waters... Santorum, may have given some traditional direction, The others will not!
  • Nan The Bee... 2012/04/11 17:26:46
    Nan
    Amen!
    amen
  • ihsxps Nan 2012/04/11 19:05:22
    ihsxps
    +2
    A clear vision of the bright conservative future. All you have to do is digitize in some happy black people.
  • Lady Wh... The Bee... 2012/04/11 20:23:20
    +2
    BALONEY
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/04/11 16:59:51
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    One down, two to go. (the two are Mitt, and Obama).
  • The Bee... Picasso... 2012/04/11 17:41:25
    The Bee Guy
    +3
    Golly Santorum was the only one who truly was a different candidate, The others all alike, just various sections cut from the same cloth.
  • Thisism... The Bee... 2012/04/11 17:52:24
  • Picasso... The Bee... 2012/04/11 17:57:04
    Picasso's Cat
    Not so different, he threw his religion in the political arena just like all the rest, hoping to get the religious folk voting for him. And don't we tout seperation of church and state???
    Yes we do, but none of our political candiddates ever follow that rule, now do they?
    You know who does follow that rule???
    The Green Party, the only party that dose respect seperation of church and state, the only one!
  • Preside... Picasso... 2012/04/11 20:24:48
    President Camacho
    The original green party became the nazi party.
  • Picasso... Preside... 2012/04/12 03:29:25
    Picasso's Cat
    Yea right, and santa claus is real, lol
    Get a grip on life!
  • Adam Picasso... 2012/04/12 02:35:24
    Adam
    +1
    This country was founded because of activist christians. If the church did not speak up there would be no USA.
  • Picasso... Adam 2012/04/12 03:31:20
    Picasso's Cat
    Guess what, not all the founders of America were christian, matter of fact most weren't !
    Know your history before you mouth off !
  • Nan Picasso... 2012/04/12 20:24:44
    Nan
    Boy are you wrong!!! There were 102 pilgrims on the Mayflower that landed in Plymouth Mass. Sept. 1620 (one being my ancestor). They were ALL christians and it was this group of people that founded this country! They came here for freedom of religion!
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Wha...

Most people do not know about a statue that was built in Plymouth Mass. in honor of our forefathers which is called "The National Monument to our Forefathers". Our government doesn't want you to know the truth about how this country was established on Godly morals and principles. That statue is more significant than the statue of liberty!
    http://youtu.be/id8mSrixCbc
  • Picasso... Nan 2012/04/13 14:41:47
    Picasso's Cat
    Boy are you wrong!!!
    Nowhere does the Constitution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution-- not even once.
    None of the Founding Fathers were atheists. Most of the Founders were Deists, which is to say they thought the universe had a creator, but that he does not concern himself with the daily lives of humans, and does not directly communicate with humans, either by revelation or by sacred books. They spoke often of God, (Nature's God or the God of Nature), but this was not the God of the bible.
    If the Christian Right Extremists wish to return this country to its beginnings, so be it... because it was a climate of Freethought. The Founders were students of the European Enlightenment. Half a century after the establishment of the United States, clergymen complained that no president up to that date had been a Christian.
    Boy are you wrong!!!!!

Myself, I'm christian, but i don't approve of other christians making up crap to further theif christian beliefs!!!!
  • Nan Picasso... 2012/04/14 15:18:41
    Nan
    Please do your homework and research the real history of this country and how it came about!
    http://ctmonuments.net/2010/0...
  • Picasso... Nan 2012/04/14 22:00:41
    Picasso's Cat
    I have, that's what I do, research!
    Your National Monument to the Forefathers proves what?????
  • The Bee... Picasso... 2012/04/17 16:05:00
    The Bee Guy
    If you are a Christian, you do not know the writings of founders of this country. Do note: the first ammendment tells usclearly we do not have to check our religion out as we enter the political arena,or any where else we might be in thisnation. Also note, It says Congress, not the states. You also do not know your Bible. Nor the declaration of Independence, which was a Treaty between this nation and it's Creator, essentialy to found a nation using the Creators standards. That is why the 10 commandments are in the Supreme court, etc.
  • Picasso... The Bee... 2012/04/17 22:40:34
    Picasso's Cat
    First of all, The first ammendment is talking about all religion, not just christian, I could be Buddhist and the first ammendment would apply to me as well as it applies to you, a christian.

Second, The declaration of Independence is not the constutition, it is exactly what it states, a statement adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, which announced that the thirteen American colonies, then at war with Great Britain, regarded themselves as independent states, and no longer a part of the British Empire.

And third, Moses and the 10 Commandments are not prominently featured in the Supreme Court building. Rather, most of the artistic embellishment in the building involves symbolic and allegorical representations of such legal themes as justice, authority, fairness and the like. Most of these representations involve human figures representing the civilizations of Greece and Rome (the building itself was designed to invoke the feeling of the classical Greek temple). If quantity is the measure of importance, the architecture of the Supreme Court favors the classical over the Mosaic tradition of law. Moreover, where Moses and the 10 Commandments are depicted, they are never given positions of exclusive prominence, as we would expect if the intention of the architec...

And third, Moses and the 10 Commandments are not prominently featured in the Supreme Court building. Rather, most of the artistic embellishment in the building involves symbolic and allegorical representations of such legal themes as justice, authority, fairness and the like. Most of these representations involve human figures representing the civilizations of Greece and Rome (the building itself was designed to invoke the feeling of the classical Greek temple). If quantity is the measure of importance, the architecture of the Supreme Court favors the classical over the Mosaic tradition of law. Moreover, where Moses and the 10 Commandments are depicted, they are never given positions of exclusive prominence, as we would expect if the intention of the architecture was to establish a connection between the Bible and American law. Rather, the architecture depicts Moses as one of many important lawgivers, and the 10 Commandments as one of many important events in legal history.
    Depictions of Moses and the 10 Commandments would never have been allowed in the building if belief in separation of church and state was widespread in 1935 when it was painted.
    Todays government does believe in separation of church and state becuse there are to many radical religions out there who would "ALL" want the same government rights!!!!!!!
    Think about it friend, there being over 900 different religions in this world, half of them here in the United States practicing and licensed religions. And you want Just the Christians to have a say in government??????
    Not gonna happen!

I understand what your saying loud and clear, but if we had things your way there would be massive chaos and religious wars right here in America.

I am Christian, and i do know the bible all to well. What i don't like is people pushing their beliefs they think are just into the political arena.
    You want to think our forfathers were all christian, that's fine with me, but it's not the real truth of the matter.
  • The Bee... Picasso... 2012/04/26 20:55:43
    The Bee Guy
    Believe what you like, It is still your right! How long? that remains to be seen. Yes the bill of rights allows all religions, but equally true, those who wrote that bill of rights, were decidedly Christian,
    Our modern History Books have forgotten that fact, but then many are published by atheists. Cannot hold that against them, for they only have made one serious blunder, They decided to {refuse} to believe there is a creator. Everything we see in nature tells us different, from that old argument regarding which came first the chicken or egg, on. Obviously an egg needed something to produce it, regardless, and everything else had to have an intelligent designer, builder. Last time i tried, to throw enough pieces od steel. alumninum, copper, etc into a room to build an airplane with, it landed in a foolish pile in the room, and even needed to be cleaned up as so much trash. without intelligent design, and builder this world would be the same as that pile of metal scrap, in fact not even so organized as the pile.
  • Picasso... The Bee... 2012/04/27 04:37:39 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
    Believe what you like, It is still your right! How long? that remains to be seen.

I'm not saying there is no God, because it sounds like your trying to convince me of that, I'm christian pal!!!
    What i'm saying is in todays world we are not alone in this, and all religions want the same rights as Christians have, and our government has given them that right to be on equil standing with Christians, and while I'm not in agreeance with that logic, I follow the laws of the land. That means i don't want any religion messing with my government and trying to involve itself with my government.
    So the best way to make sure that "NO" religion takes hold of government is to keep "ALL" of them away from making government decisions that affect us all, because if christians get their way, we will have to give all other religions the same way, and believe me you won't want to see that type of government ruling your life.
    All you have to do is look at Muslim nations ruled by the muslim religion to see that should never be an option.
    I miss the nativity scenes I use to see all during my childhood at the local city hall at christmas time, which are now banned because other religions did not want to see anything christian on public property. So we don't today, and sad as that is, it's bette...

I miss the nativity scenes I use to see all during my childhood at the local city hall at christmas time, which are now banned because other religions did not want to see anything christian on public property. So we don't today, and sad as that is, it's better than seeing other religious shrines covering the public domain across America like the wiccan religion for one.
    Today we must force ourselves to remain non religious on public property because of other religions wanting their rights in America, and that means ten fold for government, because once any religion gets hold of government mandates we all lose in some way.
    That's what I'm saying, and you may not agree and keep trying to shove christinaty into the political arena, but what it will get you is chaos, not a better government!
  • The Bee... Picasso... 2012/05/01 18:10:13
    The Bee Guy
    My point mostly, unfortunatly the religion called Atheism has taken hold, and is attempting to remove anything Christian from everywhere
  • Picasso... The Bee... 2012/05/01 18:29:47
    Picasso's Cat
    Well atheism is the absence of belief in any religion. And that's unfortunatly their right to do so in this country anyway. Just as much as it is the christians to hold on to religious symbolism that strengthens their beliefs.
    Neither is going to win their battle in a society that grants the same rights to everyone, and therefore makes all religious symbolism, non-public.
    Religion is something that no one can take away as people still practice it in their homes and their places of worship, and government officials will still state their religious beliefs.
    I don't find that terribly hard to deal with as long as everyone follows the same rules. And i know many don't, and they are delt with, and will awlays be delt with as they try to push their beliefs upon others. It's the way of the human being to persuade others to believe as they do, always has been.
    This religion thing has always been, and will always be a problem in all societies, because religion is based upon faith, not fact. And society is based upon fact not faith.
    if you don't think so, just try to go to any bank and ask for a loan, and ask them to have 'faith' that you will pay back the money without factual collateral. you won't get anything.
  • The Bee... Picasso... 2012/05/08 18:38:41
    The Bee Guy
    Atheism, Is not the absence of belief in any religion, rather the making of a religion out of "worshipping" a universe, without GOD! The Bible of Atheism is Evolution, and Science, though twisted. There are other forms of religiously held beliefs, rejecting God also. Fact is; True Christianity IS NOT A RELIGION, it is a transforming of one by Christ, to become His follower, guided by His Spirit, supernaturally placed withon us. It is NOT to follow a creed or some other list of Do or don't items. That would be a (Religion) a religion of works, not a provision of God.
  • Picasso... The Bee... 2012/05/08 18:48:34
    Picasso's Cat
    Atheism-The theory or belief that God does not exist.
    What part of that definition do you not understand???

Religion-1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
    Nw what part of that definition do you not understand????

Christinaty is a religion.

Your interpertation of it all, is your belief, not the norm.
  • Adam Picasso... 2012/04/12 21:03:34
    Adam
    +1
    You are wrong. The founders were by a heavy majority christian. Not only it was the American christians that stoked the fire of the Revolution.
  • Picasso... Adam 2012/04/13 14:42:03
    Picasso's Cat
    Boy are you wrong!!!
    Boy are you wrong!!!!!

• Adam Picasso... 2012/04/13 19:03:34
    Adam
    +1
    You are wrong!!!!
    No where in the Constitution does it acknowledge the Christian God. Well yes that is true, but it does not negate the fact that the document was based on Judeo-Christian values and the fact that most of the founders were Christians.
  • Picasso... Adam 2012/04/13 22:10:18 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
    Where is that written, because it's no where in the United States constutition???????????????
    You can't just make crap up!!!!!
  • Adam Picasso... 2012/04/14 00:45:42
    Adam
    It does not have to be written "This Constitution was based on Judeo-Christian values" in order for it to be true.
  • Picasso... Adam 2012/04/14 00:51:34
    Picasso's Cat
    You are attempting to rewrite history, in much the same way as holocaust deniers are. The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity. They were Deists who did not believe the bible was true. They were Freethinkers who relied on their reason, not their faith.
    You can twist your interpertation of the constitution all you want, and keep it that way for your own ends, but the one thing you can't do is change the actual words that do not support your belief.
    My case is proven here!
  • Adam Picasso... 2012/04/14 12:31:44
    Adam
    They relied on the reason based in faith.

I'm not the one trying to rewrite history here.

2014/09/18 01:47:57