PUBLIC OPINION > Child Circumcision Should Not Be Allowed

A controversial court ruling in Germany classified child circumcision as "grievous bodily harm," upsetting religious communities over what some say is a religious right. The bulk of the issue falls on the way circumcision affects children who are too young to make their own decision. However, it has been a religious practice for thousands of years and many feel it should be protected as such.

This was an extremely heated debate, but after more than 1,300 votes, the public sided against circumcision. Those most concerned about freedom of religion were supportive of continuing to allow the practice, but the Top Opinion argued, "Religious freedom is about the baby's religion. I don't see how he can have one at that age." It's a delicate issue containing a perfect storm of controversy.

The Religious Response

As you might expect, the demographic breakdown shows religion was the backbone of the issue. Jewish and Muslim voters were almost unanimously supportive. Christian voters weren't as convinced, but still supported it with about two-thirds. By the time we got to the atheist vote, support was down to a mere 19%.

Underage Opposition

Nearly every demographic was split on this one, but next to religion and politics, age was one of the strongest divisions. There was a clear break at about age 35 -- below that age, support dropped nearly a third. Evidently, the younger generations are either not as convinced of the benefits, or not as concerned with tradition.

Men Don't Mind the Snip

Oddly enough, those directly affected by circumcision (males) were more likely to support it. It's also interesting to note that female voters were more likely to oppose circumcision, as there was some discussion over what women prefer... if you know what we mean.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about circumcision. We'd love to hear from you!

• Just Jenn for Now 2012/06/29 21:12:39
    Just Jenn for Now
    +25
    To me, I care not about tradition, it is abuse. The child has no say because an infant CANNOT say for himself.

It should be illegal until an age where a child can decide for himself - preferably adulthood really - as long as it is HIS decision, not the parents just because THEY want him snipped.

• Naked ray 2012/06/30 17:51:21
    Naked
    +4
    yeah sure if your a lazy parent who can't teach your son how to clean himself.
  • ray Naked 2012/06/30 18:53:10
    ray
    +1
    You don't have to do anything if you're already circumcised. Plus it's a lot easier having it as a baby than as an adult.
  • Lucy ray 2012/07/01 02:45:02
    Lucy
    +1
    How do you know? Because the baby doesn't say anything? Also, not every uncircumcized man has problems. The man I knew who wasn't, would have put being uncircumcized on the bottom of his list of problems.
  • ray Lucy 2012/07/01 02:53:48 (edited)
    ray
    +1
    I know because having it as an adult prevents you from doing things after the surgery. Trust me, having it as a baby is much easier. Having it as adult is painful, but having it as baby is also painful but it's no like it's going to make a difference
  • Lucy ray 2012/07/03 02:42:16
    Lucy
    No, my question was how do you know if it hurts the baby as in pain and for how long the baby is in pain?
  • ray Lucy 2012/07/03 02:47:47 (edited)
    ray
    I'm not even sure if it feels pain. It's asleep during the surgery so assuming they stay asleep until the pain goes away.Even if if it does feel pain it doesn't really affect them. They're going to cry either way and it's not like it causes any problems.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 04:05:26
    Naked
    so you're saying you don't clean your penis? and don't teach your sons to clean theirs anyway? It's just too much for you to teach them how to pull back the skin and clean themselves. Oh yeah, parent of the year right here.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 04:13:24
    ray
    +1
    I'm not a parent, but it's still much easier to have it as a baby. If you have it later then you can't do anything after the surgery for a few days because of the pain.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 05:59:16
    Naked
    +1
    Yet you're able to make the choice of cutting a part of your penis off or to remain intact. Baby boys are already whole people, they don't need to be altered. If you chose to do it, so be it. You can make that choice, but to make it for a baby who cannot speak for themselves sounds outrageous, cruel, and abuse.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 15:07:49 (edited)
    ray
    Its not cruel, it's helpful. Not being circumcised isn't the end of the world, but it's so much easier having it as a baby. You can handle it as a baby, but as an adult is just extremely painful and you'll have to miss a couple of days of school or work because of the pain.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 16:34:31
    Naked
    +1
    It's mutilation! at any age it's mutilation! I understand if a doctor deems it medically necessary, but it's STILL mutilation. And I consider that, done to a child who cannot speak for themselves, to be ABUSE. Regardless if it is "easier" when they are babies (in your opinion) it is still genital mutilation. And for what? so lazy people don't have to teach their kids how to clean their gentiles. Good thing babies don't have to miss work or school, right? -____________-
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 17:22:26
    ray
    It's easier to have it as a baby and it's not cruel, but I guess it's just your opinion.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 17:35:44
    Naked
    +1
    Gentile mutilation is cruel. What if they wanted their foreskin? Why can't they make that decision for themselves? It's not like it will grow back if they did.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 17:37:15
    Naked
    +1
    Also, no matter how many times you day "It's easier as a baby" it's not going to make it right.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 19:53:43 (edited)
    ray
    It is right and it's not abuse. It isn't necessary, but it is helpful.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 20:28:15
    Naked
    +1
    How is it right? Because people convinced you it was? How is it right to chop off a piece of a baby's body? And it's helpful? Why? Because your too lazy to clean your penis? Disgusting.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 20:34:06 (edited)
    ray
    It prevents an infection. How is it not right if it cleans you? Are you in pain for the rest of your life? No. Does it cause any problems? No. So being circumcised as baby is helpful, not cruel.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 20:40:01
    Naked
    It prevents what infection? You can still get STD's and STI's and regular infections if you are circumcised. Someone lied to you if you believe differently. Any high school health class will tell you that. Yes, it is a LITTLE more avoidable if you are, but its no different then if you were to regularly clean yourself. It's never going to be right to just cut off baby body parts. NEVER.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 20:41:38
    ray
    It's WAY more avoidable if you're circumcised. It is right, and it's helpful. ALWAYS.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 21:19:35 (edited)
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 21:31:47
    ray
    I rather listen to real doctors than websites.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 23:01:09
    Naked
    Sad.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 23:11:42 (edited)
    ray
    Yeah, it's sad that you'd rather listen to websites rather than people with PhD's.
  • Naked ray 2012/07/01 23:28:38 (edited)
    Naked
    http://www.intactamerica.org/...

httpwww intactamerica org
    I think the denial, and believing anything someone with a doctorate says is sad.
  • ray Naked 2012/07/01 23:31:13
    ray
    The denial seems to coming from you, and believing anything a website says is sad.
  • Dreamer... ray 2012/07/02 15:30:15
    Dreamer Leo
  • zitamay ray 2012/07/01 14:21:46
    zitamay
    +1
    Yeah lets remove everything from our bodies if they cause "inconvenience". When I was little it was a routine to remove tonsils, in fact, I don't know anyone amongst my friends who still have them. Later they realised they made more harm than good. Those tonsils were there for a reason after all...today it is almost entirely out of practice except for malignant cases. NOW you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that's the same true for the foreskin. We may not know why but there's a reason why it's there. For those wo were circumcised was the sign of belonging of the same religious/ethnic "club" and nothing to do w hygiene! Or if it is so for some: wash it, for the God's sake. Women can wash theirs, you guys can do yours! And not f@*ing around is also good preventing & spreading disease!
  • zitamay ray 2012/07/01 14:28:27
    zitamay
    +1
    How about removing our teeth coz brushing cleaning and flossing is such a drag! How much easier our life could be? No cavities, no root canals, fillings and dental works, infections, gun disease...instead let us just have dentures, drop them into a glass of water the end of the day and put it back in the morning. Wouldn't it be nice? I could see myself not having to beg my son every evening "brush you teeth, pleeeeeease"!!!!!!
  • Michael 2012/06/30 15:45:46 (edited)
    Michael
    +2
    Circumcision is a health issue. Grown men have had this procedure done, as painful as it is when you are not an infant, due to many health problems that have occurred without it.When it is done to infants there is no pain, and often times the infant doesn't even wake up.
  • Lucy Michael 2012/06/30 17:37:01
    Lucy
    +2
    No pain!! How would you know if a baby feels pain or not? Of course a baby feels pain.
  • zitamay Lucy 2012/07/01 14:30:57
    zitamay
    Yeah i LOVE when people talk in the name of babies.....especially men!
  • Dreamer... zitamay 2012/07/02 15:34:12
    Dreamer Leo
    Just watch a video of a circumcision on a neonate and then tell us what the background sounds means.
  • ray Lucy 2012/07/01 15:08:39
    ray
    But the baby can handle it.
  • zitamay ray 2013/05/25 10:14:38
    zitamay
    because he cannot say "hands off and get me out of here" lol
  • Michael Lucy 2012/07/29 18:34:39
    Michael
    +1
    Obviously you have never been in the room when one of these procedures has been done. It is done in a way that they don't feel it. People wouldn't do it if it caused pain.Or, perhaps we should eliminate natural child birth, too. Now, late term abortion does cause pain to the baby, but people still do that.
  • Lucy Michael 2012/07/30 19:21:15
    Lucy
    I am glad you told me it causes no pain. I agree with you about abortion.
  • kudabux Michael 2012/06/30 19:55:46
    kudabux
    +2
    It is not a health issue on a baby with no health issues.
  • Dreamer... Michael 2012/07/02 15:31:02
    Dreamer Leo
    Doesn't wake up? Sorry, that's actually called going into SHOCK.
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/06/30 15:34:34 (edited)
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/06/30 15:33:27

2014/09/19 07:57:35