PUBLIC OPINION > Big News Is Bad News

CNN reported a massive drop in viewership this year, losing more than a third of its total audience. Fox News, on the other hand, is floating along nicely, only dropping about 1%. But we wanted to know how viewership looked at the ground level. What percentage of the public watches major news networks? We asked the public to find out.

As ratings predicted, Fox News came out on top. However, even more respondents shunned the entire batch. That's evidence of two things. First, the so-called "major" news networks are hardly satisfactory outlets for news. They might have the most viewers, but as with the music charts, a high rating doesn't mean high quality. Second, it suggests most people are getting their news from alternative sources, because it's unlikely all these people are just ignoring world events completely. They're just sick of the major outlets. One commenter put it best: "If I want to hear nothing but lies, I'll talk to my ex wife."

Conservatives Back Fox

Naturally, all of these stations deny these claims of bias. Whether or not that's true is really a matter of opinion, but what is clear is that their viewers do lean. 77% of conservatives voted Fox, compared to 0% of liberals and progressives; 31% of liberals watch CNN or MSNBC, compared to 2% of conservatives. The vast majority of moderates (72%) avoid the major news channels all together.

The Internet Age

The reason "none of the above" was such a popular choice was clear in the age breakdown: People under 35 don't watch the news. Below that age, the difference in support between major networks was negligible. About two-thirds of them refused to pick one. And we think the reason for this is pretty obvious, too. Do they really expect us to wait 'til 11 when we could just check our personalized feed?

Alternative Sources

Simply saying that "the Internet" is an alternative source of news isn't specific enough. We wanted to see what other people were watching specifically. A quick glance through the comments revealed: YouTube, The Onion, Al Jazeera, C-SPAN, local news, college radio, The Weather Channel, and there were even a few hits for The History Channel.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll on major news networks. We'd love to hear from you!

• JWnTX 2012/06/28 16:42:07
    JWnTX
    +16
    Funny how the liberals seem to be the experts on the alleged bias at Fox News, yet they never watch it. Of course, there have been studies--Pew Research, USC, and UCLA studies--that show that of all the networks, cable and broadcast, Fox News was the most balanced in the 2008 election. But don't bother bringing that up to a lib. They're so invested in their alternate reality that they could never bring themselves to admit that they've been wrong. Here's a great insight into the liberal mindset (this particular one refers to the end of the old Soviet Union, but it's just as applicable to our own leftists and their chosen faith):

Vital resistance and resentment are the two main responses to the events of 1989. Vital resistance: the mind realizes its mistake – it admits, for example, that nationalization of the means of production does not produce a happy society, but rather laziness and constant shortages; it refuses, however, to let go of the idea because of its passionate attachment to it. Existence – adventures, friendships, successes – is nourished and permeated by this belief to such an extent that the belief becomes an identity; the individual cannot renounce it without committing a kind of symbolic suicide. No one can admit… that his existence reflects the echo of a failure.--Chantal Delsol, "Unlearned Lessons of the Twentieth Century"--hat tip to Ward Dorrity

• cut and paste king 2012/06/28 18:37:27
    cut and paste king
    +2
    i watch cnn, watching fox news is like watching jerry springer a total fantasy and they lie like dogs
  • Defcon cut and... 2012/06/29 02:03:45
    Defcon
    How can dogs lie?
  • bob h. cut and... 2012/06/29 03:13:47
    bob h.
    The draft dodger channel.
  • Katie1234 cut and... 2012/06/29 10:59:01
    Katie1234
    u watch CNN or (crappy nuts networking) becuase FOX makes u realize that ur theories arent backed up, and you hate to see or realize it
  • Calm down! 2012/06/28 18:32:21
    Calm down!
    It's really weird to watch. One word alliens.
  • UnusualSuspect 2012/06/28 17:44:58
    UnusualSuspect
    +5
    Quantity is rarely quality.

Case in point: FOX News.

Just because they have more viewers, doesn't mean the quality of their network is better.

It's not.

In fact, I'd just say they have more "sheep" following them than any other news organization.
  • Christi... Unusual... 2012/06/28 18:13:38
    Christiaan McPherson
    +3
    There was a study that showed people who watched Fox news were less informed on issues than people who watch no news at all.
  • dmeyen Christi... 2012/06/28 18:26:47
    dmeyen
    +2
    Too bad you can't list the study :-(
  • TheBadOne dmeyen 2012/06/28 21:54:42
  • Unusual... dmeyen 2012/06/29 12:51:00
  • Bassinman Christi... 2012/06/28 20:49:53
    Bassinman
    +1
    I conducted a study once which proved that hunting dogs are smarter than any human. Does that mean that you are stupid? Maybe not, but if you believe the study above is the defining fact, maybe so. Any study can be made at any time, and the next study's results may reveal the opposite result.

I watch Fox News, and I can answer the questions that the Obsessive Whiners Syndrome people couldn't answer in several surveys conducted at their rallies. They were out there protesting, and most didn't even know WHY they were even there, let alone the political implications. These are Liberal, Progressive, and Democratic supporters who have no idea as to why they are protesting when asked? Two of them even said, "Because that guy over there is paying me to be here." I wouldn't bet on it, but then I wouldn't doubt that they all watch CNN (Crappy News Network). And I wouldn't be thoughtless enough to crap or pee on someone else's property, in public, on the sidewalk, or anywhere other than a restroom or porta-potty in the area.

I feel that I am fairly well informed by FOX, and I don't see the 'spin' on their reports that I see on the other channels. Actually, they are blatant with the 'spin' on CNN, MSNBC, and the like. They edit the video reports to come out the way they want them to be, in...

I feel that I am fairly well informed by FOX, and I don't see the 'spin' on their reports that I see on the other channels. Actually, they are blatant with the 'spin' on CNN, MSNBC, and the like. They edit the video reports to come out the way they want them to be, instead of playing the entire segment through, as is. I also like to see Whine Williams, Alan Crumbs, and Bob Bicker getting a lesson on nearly everything they claim to be 'fact'.

And beside that, some people that I have talked with have said that they don't care to watch ANY news networks since, "They all lie, and I don't really care to know their bull." Or they say, "I really don't care what is going on anywhere in the world, unless it affects me directly." The problem is, 90% of what is reported on the news on a daily basis, DOES affect the general masses in one way or another. And if you don't know about it in advance, it's much harder to deal with it when it smacks you upside the head all at once.
  • bob h. Christi... 2012/06/29 03:16:26
    bob h.
    +2
    I read that too. Another study said the US was way behind in education, and #1 in self-esteem.
  • Katie1234 Unusual... 2012/06/29 10:48:11
    Katie1234
    it is! they report the truth, MSNBC and CNN whine the whole time.
  • ♥•judy•♥ 2012/06/28 17:43:09
    ♥•judy•♥
    well it kinda is like they said the world was gonna end on 2011 may 21 THE NEWS WENT ON THE INTERNET THEN PEOPLE WERE HIDING AND WHEN IT DIDNT HAPPEN THEY LAUGHED AT IT IN 2012 AND IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN WE LAUGH AT 2012 DEC 21 THEN WE ALLL WILL BE LAUGHING HAHAHA EXSTATORA
  • Kevin 2012/06/28 17:10:05
    Kevin
    +1
    It is because the Talking Heads now have a political agenda. I can't watch them knowing there is a slant in their reporting. I can't watch even Letterman anymore either because of his obvious left wing stance on everything. The only guy I can watch is O’Reilly.
  • Rubyking 2012/06/28 16:49:42
    Rubyking
    news= youtube
  • Defcon Rubyking 2012/06/28 19:52:54
    Defcon
    The big news channels have accounts on YouTube
  • Rubyking Defcon 2012/06/28 22:59:19
    Rubyking
    YUP, LIKE =3 AND SCISHOW
  • cc 2012/06/28 16:43:38
    cc
    +1
    fox news & mostly the Internet ( drugereport.com , infowars.com , theblaze.com , theDailycaller.com , pravda.com uk news all news world wide ..........
  • America... cc 2012/06/29 00:15:24
  • JWnTX 2012/06/28 16:42:07
    JWnTX
    +16

• Carol S... JWnTX 2012/06/28 17:07:31
    Carol Smith
    +3
    So you are calling Fox News, who features all the whackos, especially Palin, fair and balanced? You seem obsessive in your "opinion."
  • dmeyen Carol S... 2012/06/28 18:25:31
    dmeyen
    +3
    Actually JWnTX sited Pew Research, USC and UCLA as claiming Fair and balanced in the 2008 election only. I'm not really sure this qualifies JWnTX as "obseesive" in His(Her) opinion. Why are you so angry? Do you really "Hate" Fox news. You don't make for a good argument Lib. I watch all networks including FOX to get the whole story.
  • bob h. dmeyen 2012/06/29 03:23:07
    bob h.
    +4
    So you watch all networks? How many TVs do you have going at once?
  • Katie1234 bob h. 2012/06/29 11:07:21
    Katie1234
    haha!!!
  • Alex Carol S... 2012/06/28 18:48:28
    Alex
    You seem kinda butthurt.
  • Bassinman Carol S... 2012/06/28 21:02:53 (edited)
    Bassinman
    +1
    Palin is a 'whacko' in YOUR opinion, and Barney Gay Frank, Maxine Cry Race Waters, Joe Gaff Biden, and several others are 'whackos' to me. They make NO sense whatsoever to me, but then, I'm not a Socialist, a gay, or a racist.
  • Joey Bassinman 2012/06/29 01:13:06
    Joey
    +3
    The fact that you care that Frank is gay says a lot about you,
  • Suzy Joey 2012/06/30 14:01:50 (edited)
    Suzy
    +1
    Well, Barney sort of leads with the fact that he is gay and is pretty militant about it. It's not like he doesn't make it an issue.

I personally don't care, but it sure means a lot to Bawney.
  • Suzy Carol S... 2012/06/30 14:00:41
    Suzy
    Have you ever watched Fox News (and, for long enough to have an informed opinion)?

The answer is obviously "no", but I'm curious as to why you are so impassioned in your response without having any real information?
  • jeane Carol S... 2012/08/09 07:46:49
    jeane
    LOL - how would you know? You don't watch it remember!
  • Elaine ... Carol S... 2012/09/12 18:26:26
    Elaine Magliacane
    Palin is a POLTICAL COMMENTATOR... not a NEWS person... liberals are so confused, they watch political HACKS on MSNBC pretend to do news so they ASSUME all networks are just like that.... can't fix stoopid.
  • mobilsq JWnTX 2012/06/28 20:13:09 (edited)
    mobilsq
    +4
    That's a load. Most of the smut they pass as news is hardly news worthy and the few issues they present they do so in a way to persuade the audience to their opinion sometimes subtly but mostly not so subtle.
  • TheNigh... JWnTX 2012/06/28 23:37:28 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +3
    And what conservatives refuse to admit is how the monopolization of the means of production has a similar effect as nationalizing it. The only difference is that monopolization allows limited capitalism to happen (under heavy federal regulations) where nationalization completely prohibits it.

Capitalism is not free under monopolistic policies. Intellectual property rights trump the physical property rights that capitalism is based on. Competition is nothing but a carefully choreographed dramatization. Nobody can employ themselves because we are legally prohibited from engaging in any activity that could make us financially independent from government.

The job markets remain saturated, wages remain low, and politicians do nothing but talk about creating more jobs. They never talk about repealing monopolistic policies, i.e. abolishing the patent system, to create more opportunities for individuals to employ themselves.

The only way government can stimulate job growth in the private sector is to extend special benefits and privileges to corporate monopolies. Which corporate monopolies? The ones they are invested in, of course. They want us working for them and they want our corporate employers to make sure we're paying our income taxes.
  • bob h. TheNigh... 2012/06/29 03:29:33
    bob h.
    +1
    One way of looking at it. Very true, Thanx.
  • America... JWnTX 2012/06/29 00:15:38
  • oldcavp... JWnTX 2012/06/29 02:22:17
    oldcavpilot
    +3
    So you buy what Murdoch, Ailes, Koch, and friends want you to. I sure hope you're rich......if not, you're screwed. Yeah, I watch.
  • Eric Al... JWnTX 2012/06/29 10:46:21
    Eric Albertson
    +1
    Explain this explain
    explain
    explain
  • Katie1234 Eric Al... 2012/06/29 10:59:47
    Katie1234
    dude! why you keep posting the same pics over and over? can find anymore? desperate much?
  • YouSirName JWnTX 2012/06/30 01:45:31
    YouSirName
    +1
    It's not stange at all. Anyone with half a brain can turn on FN and see the bias in less than a minute. There is no point in sitting there watching the same BS over and over. On second thought, probably less than half a brain since there are a lot of half-wits on FN.

2014/10/31 06:28:39