PUBLIC OPINION > A Skin Tax for Strip Clubs Is Unfair

SodaHead News 2012/08/30 21:00:00
Illinois State Sen. Toi Hutchinson recently introduced the Live Adult Entertainment Facility Tax Act, which proposes a $5 "skin tax" for strip clubs. It would require that all strip club patrons pay a $5 tax upon entering a facility, and that the proceeds would go to the state's Sexual Assault Prevention Fund. The proposal has since been passed into law, but we want to know if the public thinks it's fair.

sodahead skin tax

There wasn't a ton of support for Sen. Hutchinson's proposal, as far as the public's votes go. Only a third of respondents said the tax was fair. The Top Opinion read, "Next they will be happy to introduce a theater tax, a concert tax and a breathing tax." Others suggested it was just a cleverly disguised poll tax. Still, others were disappointed at having to give up that last table dance. But there were a few people willing to pay for their sins.

Men Aren't Amused

Some respondents suggested the tax was specifically aimed at the male population, and is therefore unfair. Naturally, men were less likely to call it a "fair" tax. Women, on the other hand, didn't see the problem. Nearly half of female voters (42%) said it's fair. Not that women don't go to strip clubs on occasion, but they're certainly less likely to frequent them.

Liberals Kind of Like It

Obviously, there's a big political divide here. It's a tax, after all. Even more than half of liberals admitted the tax is unfair, but there was still a large portion of left-leaning voters who supported it. Conservatives were expectedly opposed, and libertarians even more so. Political opinion was definitely the divide here.

Drinkers Are Opposed

Lots of voters compared the "skin tax" to existing "sin taxes," namely taxes on alcohol and tobacco and proposed taxation on marijuana. That could be why smokers and drinkers were more likely to oppose the new tax -- they're already paying extra for their... hobbies, and they're not thrilled. It could also be that people who go to strip clubs are more likely to be drinkers or smokers, but there's no evidence for that.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about the Live Adult Entertainment Facility Tax Act. We'd love to hear from you!

• addie Donnie 2012/09/02 18:39:28
    addie
    Bush got us into a war with Congressional approval? When?
  • Donnie addie 2012/09/02 23:33:37
    Donnie
    wow your so dumb that when i typed "with out" you somehow interpreted that to mean i accidentally typed out instead of accidentally put in a space; dumb-ass it's without.
  • meshell Donnie 2012/09/03 02:49:13
    meshell
    +1
    WOW do you actually understand what you have written. and you call addie a dumbarse.
  • addie meshell 2012/09/03 03:06:19 (edited)
    addie
    +1
    I figured it out, I did mis-read what he wrote. I guess that does prove his tremendous superiority to me. lol
  • addie Donnie 2012/09/03 03:02:51
    addie
    What?
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/01 17:47:52
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    "If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
    And you're working for no one but me."

The Beatles
  • theresa.malloy2 2012/09/01 16:17:33
    theresa.malloy2
    +3
    To me it is fair, it is used for a good cause.I go to a tanning salon in Spring. A few years ago Obama added a tanning tax .I had to pay $3.80 for a $30.00 package. They never even gave a reason why they started the tax.
  • Camille... theresa... 2012/09/01 22:56:43
    Camille Palmer
    +2
    their excuse4 is that if it cost more to do things that re bad for you,...(in their opinions) then you are less likely to do it,..Cigarette Tax, tanning bed tax, Entertainment tax,..Etc. did you know there going to add a huge Tax to fast foods,..because they want people to eat healthier foods. A FAT TAX,..bet they will tax you by the pound next. Be anorexic and they will Find a Way to tax that too.
  • meshell Camille... 2012/09/03 02:54:45
    meshell
    A fat tax in America. what a money spinner. riches beyond your wildest dreams. lol
  • brsullivan2 2012/09/01 14:00:25
    brsullivan2
    +3
    I honestly fear for my generation. To make matters worse, some of us are apparently stupid enough to think "hey, man taxing everything's a good thing. Bang the drum, bro." I was born in the WRONG generation. 1950s where did you go?
  • Marty9957 2012/09/01 13:44:46
    Marty9957
    +4
    Government is like a leach, it will keep sucking blood (taxes) as long as we allow it. It never gets enough.
  • natwebb 2012/09/01 13:42:52
    natwebb
    +3
    No new taxes.
    The power to tax is the power to destroy.
    If a $5 tax is ok, then a $500 tax is ok. Then the business is closed.
    If it ok to tax and destroy this business, then others will follow.

REMEMBER:
    When they came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.
  • meshell natwebb 2012/09/03 02:57:32
    meshell
    UMMM $5 --$500. big difference.
  • TasselLady 2012/09/01 13:42:29
  • Jim TasselLady 2012/09/02 10:48:08
    Jim
    +1
    And the Gals willing to show it aren't - Right?
  • TasselLady Jim 2012/09/02 13:06:57
    TasselLady
    +2
    Sure! They should be taxed too! No matter why these strippers do what they're doing, they're making it easy for men to stray and cheat on their wives and girlfriends. It's very sad.
  • meshell TasselLady 2012/09/03 03:01:21
    meshell
    +1
    exactly how i see it.
  • meshell Jim 2012/09/03 03:00:48
    meshell
    +2
    no, they are skanky little ho's
  • Jim meshell 2012/09/03 08:45:36
    Jim
    +2
    After hearing of "The Octomom" deciding to show her wares at a strip club, I have to agree with you. Can't imagine anyone wanting to look at where all of those kids came from - "skank", yes she is.
  • meshell Jim 2012/09/03 08:48:52
    meshell
    +2
    oh ok body still for 14 kids but yeah, why would you want to look at it all.
  • Jim meshell 2012/09/03 08:55:57
    Jim
    +2
    Have to feel sorry for her Gynocologist's (SP) wife after he has an appointment with the Octomom, she probably never finds him in the mood.
  • meshell Jim 2012/09/03 09:06:20
    meshell
    +1
    LOL, I heard she was going to do porn, lol there were three in the cave and the little one said, come in there's HEAPS of room of room of room of room. lol
  • Jim meshell 2012/09/03 09:11:19
    Jim
    +1
    Notice you are from Australia - Nice country. Spent my R&R there in Sydney while I was in Viet Nam many years ago but can't remember the name of the Hotel. Love to go back sometime - wonderful people.
  • meshell Jim 2012/09/03 09:21:34
    meshell
    +1
    She is beautiful country, if you stick to the outer edges. the centre is pretty barren and dry. I went to Sydney last month for the first time in over 20 yrs, oh my, maybe your hotel isnt there anymore, It has changed so much. We would leave the Blue Mountains and wouldnt have hassels with traffic until almost in Sydney, Now 1hour out of Syd and the traffic is thick and hectic. glad for trains. As for the wonderful people, things change, some are happy to chat , laugh or help out, others would step over you if your down. Its getting sad over here as well. But in general, most or us are pretty happy laidback sorta folk.
  • Jim meshell 2012/09/03 11:13:06
    Jim
    Yes, things change everywhere. This once great country is in terrible shape with an Administration that has no clue what they are doing. I spent 30 years in uniform helping to defend this once proud nation thru retirement. The patiotism by most is no longer there except for our Military - God Bless Them. We have a most Corrupt Government and doubt it will improve anytime soon. The sad thing is: what our kids will have to deal with. Take Care My Friend & God Bless.
  • Cleaver62 2012/09/01 09:49:36
    Cleaver62
    +1
    No more unfair that the price of drinks in those places. I'd be passing out more money to the girls if I had more to give.
  • holyheretic 2012/09/01 07:09:25
  • masondog1 holyher... 2012/09/01 12:26:18
    masondog1
    +4
    I am sorry, I do go to church and have been to many and have not heard one political speech from the pulpit. We may talk privately after church about politics not with the minister, but with others and yes we have both Democrats, Liberals and Republicans in the mix. So what is your point? Also, you do not know what faith-based institutions really do. They accomplish a lot in the local communities and throughout the world. You must represent the porn industry since you are defending them. Karl Marx once incorrectly stated that religion is the "opium of the masses"...This is not even closely correct. You have a choice to either believe in "God our Father" or not to believe. I will say....once you get hooked on drugs and pornography....it is hard to quit and/or get out of that lifestyle....Porn and drugs are the opium of the masses. God does forgive sinners and we all sin. We are a Nation (America) that is becoming morally defunct. This is a sad day of our country. There are churches that talk politics at the pulpit and this is wrong. Most churches do not!
  • holyher... masondog1 2012/09/01 12:35:14
  • kcoat holyher... 2012/09/02 03:02:43
  • holyher... kcoat 2012/09/02 03:58:23 (edited)
  • holyher... holyher... 2012/09/02 04:00:48
  • kcoat holyher... 2012/09/02 04:30:04
  • holyher... kcoat 2012/09/02 09:49:05
  • kcoat holyher... 2012/09/02 03:00:30
  • holyher... kcoat 2012/09/02 22:34:54
  • sundance 2012/09/01 05:39:19 (edited)
    sundance
    +1
    I'm curious. Should we start taxing indulgences, when and where do we draw the indulgence line? I know that, given any number of variables, I can name nearly anything as an indulgence. I personally don't care if they implement a skin tax. However, what about a "view" tax on movies with questionable content (and who decides?), or a food indigence tax, when you eating in a "non health food" establishment? What about extra curricular driving (drive in the country, vacation, just seeing the town) tax? See where I am going here? This, and other types of legislation can, and often are, become abused. This is the type of legislation that opens the door....Just a thought...

PS...How about that bucks worth of extra tax, because that milk product is frozen, like ice cream? Wouldn't that be considered an indulgence?
  • Tea cakes 2012/09/01 04:46:17
    Tea cakes
    +1
    Like I said ill say it again tax the strippers!
  • Mighty red beard 2012/09/01 03:21:42
    Mighty red beard
    +2
    I think it is not only fair but it is justice, people go into a strioclub and get all turned on by the strippers that gives them more likely idea's of raping a child or molesting a child.
  • sundance Mighty ... 2012/09/01 05:54:18 (edited)
    sundance
    +4
    So, somehow these two things are connected? Seeing a grown woman parade around in her bare nothings makes people think of children? And this is more applicable than a playground, mall or school yard full of kids? I think your logic generator is broken. Psychology would say that what your referring to is associative behavior triggers. The overwhelming majority of patrons in strip clubs, are middle age males, married and frustrated. They frequent these places to indulge in activities that allow for assertion of their maleness, and give them escape. Generally, the biggest crime committed by these folks, is spending too much. Child predators ( and this isn't rocket science) hang out where they can observe children. Not too many strip clubs offer that as a standard fare. According to law enforcement, most predators prefer their perversions out of public view. This is why they are caught with extensive porno collections, and not a pocket full of singles...Just a thought...

2014/04/20 21:11:54