PUBLIC OPINION > A Better Condom Is a Brilliant Idea

Condoms help prevent pregnancy and the spread of STDs, but the conventional wisdom is that they make sex less pleasurable, particularly for males. Thus, most men view condoms as a "necessary evil" -- best case scenario. Worst case, couples opt to leave them behind and their risky behavior produces tragic results.

Realizing this, Bill Gates announced that he's willing to give $100,000 to anyone who can come up with "The Next Generation Condom." This winning idea would need to be a condom design that doesn't reduce sexual pleasure for either party, and if possible, makes it more pleasurable than if you didn't use one. Naturally we wanted to know what you thought about Gates' contest. It turns out, 55% of you think it's "brilliant." Read on to find out who was in the majority -- and who was not so keen on the idea.

GENERATION GAP

Age was a pretty big dividing factor here. The majority of users aged 13-17 (77%), 18-24 (68%), and 25-34 (74%) voted that it was brilliant. A slim majority (51%) of 45-54 year olds voted the same way. Alternatively, the majority of users aged 35-44 (52%), 55-64 (53%) and 65 and above (65%) voted that it was a bad idea. Makes sense that the age groups containing more people who use condoms on a regular basis would be all for improving them.

PARENTS NOT IMPRESSED

62% of parents on SodaHead thought that "Next Generation" condoms was a bad idea, while the majority of people who don't want kids (58%), those who want kids some day (60%) and undecideds (74%) disagreed. It's pretty easy to imagine why parents wouldn't be fond of condoms that make sex even better, especially if they think their children would end up having more sex... but is more safe sex better than less unsafe sex?

MAKING IT POLITICAL

Surprisingly it looks like political views trump everything from religion to sexual orientation when it comes to condoms. 86% of liberals thought Gates' contest was brilliant while only 33% of conservatives agreed. Historically, liberals have supported promotion and distribution of condoms while conservatives haven't, but it looks like there was more to it than just that. Conservatives, who are often more business- minded, seemed to disagree with the amount of money offered (they thought it should be much higher) and many thought that there were other, more pressing needs that Bill Gates should be spending his resources on.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about the "Next Generation" condom. We'd love to hear from you!

• LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME 2013/04/05 06:01:26 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    I am baffled by being in the world of super technology in medicine and science yet they cannot produce a "pill" or alternative for MEN. If you look up birth control, other than condoms, (and now, whoa, the new Gates' super condom?)--Still, the entire rest of the birth control "option" list is for women, All of which on that female list are VERY dangerous physically (forget about 'pleasure'). Men and women only TOLERATE if they must, short of abstinence; but it is by no means ideal for anyone.

Hey, Gates, a better condom is the best your money can buy? WHY IS THAT? A better condom...whooopdidoo, Mr. Gates...sheesh. I'm sure you went to Europe & bought a $100,000 REVERSIBLE vasectomy-- la ti da, no such lowlife problems for you, Mr. Gates...

PS, about VASECTOMY:
    Hey you guys in your 30's or 40's or 50's or even 60's who refuse to even consider a vasectomy -- it is out patient, twenty minute $300 procedure with ZERO side effects other than those of getting ANY shot for anything, and no long term side effects, as opposed to all the female options which are all very scary and costly.

What is the big deal? What are you afraid of? You think you will lose your "manhood"? You think they are going to literally cut your balls off?? That is absurd! I appreciate your manhood and w...

PS, about VASECTOMY:

What is the big deal? What are you afraid of? You think you will lose your "manhood"? You think they are going to literally cut your balls off?? That is absurd! I appreciate your manhood and would not ever suggest taking it away from you so would never promote such a thing!

Men who have had this done discover sex is better than ever, b/c their partners do not have to be afraid of pregnancy. Women know what I mean, and I can't believe boys/men can't understand how paralysing a fear of pregnancy can be? And if you are afraid of STD, then by all means use a condom. But for those of us who do not sleep around, vasectomy sex is the best sex we've ever had, and more OFTEN!

Why are so many men so afraid of a 20min local anesthetic procedure? And how do you justify that compared to what you expect females to happily endure? These are valid questions and I'd love to hear your answer.

And if you are afraid you may change your mind about having kids, freeze your sperm. It lasts nearly forever. That's what REASONABLE people do, instead of putting their women thru all kinds of surgical or drug treatment with lifelong side effects and deadly implications and high cost. (Freezing sperm AND eggs is also a Godsend for someone who lost a spouse in an untimely, sudden manner.)

A better condom...sheesh, whooopdidoo, Mr. Gates...
  • Avi Rosen 2013/04/04 08:23:40
    Avi Rosen
    +1
    I believe it is Quite important.
    If there is a chance it helps making more people not object to use it and protect themselves, healthwise, it is not just important it's a holy mission.
    Life and health are very important in my (Jewish) belief, & should be preserved the best possible way.
    Taken to extreme: even smoking is a sin, but it's easy for me, (non smoker), to say...
  • Shanie The Alesana Panda 2013/04/03 21:22:21
    Shanie The Alesana Panda
    +2
    Condoms are boring damn it! They take the fun out of sex .-. But hell I dunno I never used one xD
  • aidennqueen 2013/04/03 16:42:46
    aidennqueen
    +1
    How can it be a bad idea? No one's forced to use one, should they ever be real...
  • Captain-Morgan 2013/04/03 04:39:11
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    Why not spend his money on the research of that "Next Generation" condom...
  • kazlasee123 2013/04/02 16:45:47
    kazlasee123
    +2
    why is there even an argument about this? if the majority think its a good idea then just go ahead and make them then the people who want them can buy them the people who don't don't have to buy them just like the way it is now, simple. ridiculous how people are so bored that everything has to be made into some sort of argument or political debate..
  • WGN 2013/04/02 16:20:41
    WGN
    Great idea.
  • Jim Cobabe 2013/04/02 16:16:36
    Jim Cobabe
    +1
    Couldn't care less.
  • Pete 2013/04/02 09:45:15
    Pete
    +1
    My opinion would probably get me banned from SodaHead. Best keep my mouth shut. But you go big fella Mr. Gates, Go..............................
  • LisaWay... Pete 2013/04/05 06:14:20
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    I am interested in your opinion and I promise to not take it personally or dime on you. Please tell me what you think; and plz see my comment above. I seriously doubt I will be censored by Sodahead, tho some may be offended by it.
  • J.MaisOui 2013/04/02 07:36:36
    J.MaisOui
    +1
    -Yes!!! I'm full of great ideas!!! Where can I contact him-??!! :0)
  • AlliePonie 2013/04/02 06:55:06
    AlliePonie
    +1
    I see no reason why anyone would be against something like this?
  • Sam 2013/04/02 03:46:50
    Sam
    First...you all are welcome to try. But what makes sex better is when a couple gets more creative about love making. And the size of the person's mid section growing hugely. Its what happened after many hours and days of trying to satisfy your wife to the point of her not cheating on anyone more. It has nothing to do with a condom. If you cannot satisfy your wife. Then its over.
  • J.MaisOui Sam 2013/04/02 07:39:44
  • Kookieless The Sexy Nihilis... 2013/04/01 22:15:08
  • Pronata... Kookiel... 2013/04/02 12:52:41
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Isn't it weird that more people fail to promote the most natural method of "family planning," the "no method" method of welcoming natural family growth. Whatever happened to responsibly getting married, and then babies come when they come? When did babies supposed stop being a blessing from God?

Yeah, even nature would not want for humans to use those nasty Big Pharma contraceptive potions and poisons, nor awkward, poor-fit, sensation-dulling condoms.

ban condoms

ban condoms
  • WGN Pronata... 2013/04/02 16:24:09
    WGN
    +2
    How about a family of four being dirt poor and not needing another mouth to feed. Just where is the good old Catholic church when you show up and ask for food money for a year, or the kids college tuition?
    You are out dated and narrow minded
  • Pronata... WGN 2013/04/03 00:26:00
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Thank you for making my point. Family of 4? What is that? 2 parents, and 2 children? Isn't that like a "small" family already? And so according to you, a "small" family is "too big," and perhaps you want to muddle around in other people's business and enforce a tyrannical 1-child oppression policy upon the world? Or maybe nobody ought to have any children, except for the spoiled-rotten, better-than-us, elitists?

Then you said something-or-other about the Catholic Church. What does that have to do with anything? Are you insinuating that I am Catholic? I assure you, I am not.

How about a family of 4, that would like to have another child. Do you have a problem with that? Don't answer wrong, for you know my next move, I could accuse you of being "anti-choice." Or have the pro-aborts stolen that word, so "choice" now can only mean "choice" to murder babies via "abortion," but never choice in schools, never choice of the child to live, nor choice to have more children?

Food money FOR A YEAR??? Now you are being greedy. Why do you, or this hypothetical "somebody," deserve free food for a year? Did you not know the Bible says, If a man will not work, neither should he eat? Have you ever heard the children's fable of the hen who asked her friends, if they would like to help her bake her ...

Food money FOR A YEAR??? Now you are being greedy. Why do you, or this hypothetical "somebody," deserve free food for a year? Did you not know the Bible says, If a man will not work, neither should he eat? Have you ever heard the children's fable of the hen who asked her friends, if they would like to help her bake her bread? Nobody wanted to help. But they did want to help her eat it. She said NO. I wonder why? Do you think the line at the "free food" pantry, or at the government assistance office, would be as long, if they were handing out WORK to get food, rather than just food? I would like to see somebody handing out plots of land, seeds, and shovels, "Here you go."

College tuition? You sure don't want much for nothing, do you? (sarcasm). If you want "free," try the internet. Need to repair something, and can't afford the professional expert? Go to YouTube. Often the experts will show you how to do it. But you have to do it yourself, as they live too far away or they will charge you for a house visit, as their gasoline and car maintenance, is not free, you know.

But I might agree with you on one point. The next time some Church or weird cult shows up at my door, or leaves a tract, I might be more impressed if they care enough to ask me How are you doing? Do you have enough to eat? Do you need a job? Would you like to get paid to do a few odd jobs for us? Do you need anything repaired? Do you need your gutters unclogged? It probably is partly the Church's fault that many people think the Church is irrelevant. Shouldn't the Church do a few things besides just "playing Church?" Maybe have a day where people get together and work on fixing their cars.

want free stuff
  • WGN Pronata... 2013/04/03 12:02:32
    WGN
    +1
    No, a family in poverty does not need more kids. That has nothing to do with whether the size of the family is small or big, as I said nothing about it being "tpoo big".

The p[oint is that family planning is the correct ortion for many, despite what your religion says. Common sense has never been a part of religion.
    Grow Up.
    Contraception is part of life, and has been for thousands of years.
  • Pronata... WGN 2013/04/03 17:04:42 (edited)
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Who are you to say that a family in poverty does not need more children? What if they want more children? Are you still against individual liberty and against personal responsibility? Why do you want government violence or government meddling in people's affairs? Do you think that poverty is but only a personal choice, and that all poor people are poor because they are lazy and don't want to work? Or is maybe poverty a condition imposed upon them by bad government policy that destroys the economy and destroys jobs? Do people have a right to be poor? Maybe some don't value much material things, or for whatever reason, are tired of the corporate "rate race" to nowhere, tired of all the stupid taxes and fees, and/or just want to opt out of the economy perhaps to get off-grid or become more self-reliant. Should they then, after having poverty imposed upon them, be robbed of the only wealth of the poor, their children?

Before "the pill" of 1960, family size was thought to be "uncontrollable." Sure, there was the "no more sex" option, but not many people thought that to be very practical. What really is wrong with bringing more children to life? They call it "natural increase" for a reason. What could be more NATURAL?

Yeah, common sense isn't very common anymore, thus the failure of e...

Yeah, common sense isn't very common anymore, thus the failure of educated idiots to make better accommodation for the rising population. Ever since "family planning," the wicked world gets more sour against naturally-growing families, so it really was never about individual "choice," was it, but rather how to foist OBLIGATION to "limit" family size, for the sake of "the environment," planet, or whatever nonsense that uninformed, gullible people who don't know their Bibles, might fall for. Yet if some preacher warned that "choice" would soon morph into "obligation," back in the "Free Love" 1960s, how many biblically illiterate people would have scoffed and called him some crackpot, just like how the people treated God's true prophets?

growing family baby

growing family baby

growing family baby
  • WGN Pronata... 2013/04/03 18:36:15
    WGN
    +1
    Give it a rest, the rest of the world is not that stupid!
  • Hedwig13 Pronata... 2013/05/31 02:31:04
  • Pronata... Hedwig13 2013/06/07 05:02:35
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    STDs do NOT spread among people who are monogamous. How do do get a STD from you spouse who has no STD? But "safer sex" contraceptive usage, was really designed to diss babies and promote promiscuity, and as blatant rebellion against God's standards of morality.

If there is no fear of getting a STD from a faithful spouse, nor fear of pregnancy because babies are already welcome or desired, and did I mention that condoms are unreliable?, then where is there any reason to bother with awkward and costly, anti-life condoms? Why not just simply let the semen flow freely to where babies can happen, and let families grow freely and naturally?

I suspect many naturally-large families are "unplanned." I asked somebody why he had 8 children, and he said they didn't give it much thought. What? It just happens? Yeah, I think it sneaks up on parents. They just had their 4th child and still haven't got around to selecting a "satisfactory" method of "birth control." Whatever for? They are good nurturing parents, they are getting the hang of it, they have experience. Why be afraid of yet another baby?

Author Mary Pride says even if you do have 20 children, it will take a good long time, and the older children will help with the younger children.

Do you really think that most parents of large famil...

Do you really think that most parents of large families, really "planned" to have so many children, or thought it would be easy? Sure, some plan to have as many children as they can, but I think many large families learn how, by doing, and the large family size come gradually, so it isn't near the shock as the population-phobics would have us to believe.
  • WGN Kookiel... 2013/04/02 16:22:15
    WGN
    +1
    There is nothing like a good case of crabs, or maybe you are in the mood for some syphalus, or the clap.
  • Kookiel... WGN 2013/04/02 16:25:49 (edited)
  • WGN Kookiel... 2013/04/02 16:33:03
    WGN
    +1
    What's worse than lobsters on your piano?

Crabs on your organ!
  • yourbeebeegirl 2013/04/01 16:59:12
    yourbeebeegirl
    +5
    Flavored ones are good flavored
  • Captain... yourbee... 2013/04/01 23:06:30
    Captain Pikachu ~ CEO of HTFO
    +3
    I wonder what the Xbox one tastes like
  • Sam yourbee... 2013/04/02 03:47:43
    Sam
    Wow..that is soooo cool. I never knew they had flavored condoms.
  • stephen.runnels.1 2013/04/01 14:16:57
    stephen.runnels.1
    +4
    Two things women should be aware of:
    1. The right size condom makes all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort and fit. The minor decrease in sensitivity actually prolongs duration.
    2. If the guy’s mind is more focused on how comfortable his condom feels and not on you, then you’re sleeping with the wrong guy.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2013/04/01 13:33:17
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    If they are actually used they would be a good idea.
  • Naime 2013/04/01 03:28:57
    Naime
    +3
    Another brilliant idea:

Do not have sex if you do not wish to get pregnant. And plus is saves money.
  • J.MaisOui Naime 2013/04/02 07:41:09
    J.MaisOui
    -saves money-? :0)
  • TKramar 2013/04/01 02:51:06
    TKramar
    +3
    Not sleeping around prevents both.
  • toyaroxit 2013/04/01 02:08:21
    toyaroxit
    +3
    this is a fantastic idea lmao why would anyone be against a good condom ?wtf
  • Bob Anderson 2013/03/31 23:58:31
  • IAmMary... Bob And... 2013/04/01 02:52:19
    IAmMaryMargaret
    +2
    Your parents should have used one.
    Totally kidding. :)
    I'm sorry, that was a terrible joke.
  • Bob And... IAmMary... 2013/04/01 13:14:15
  • IAmMary... Bob And... 2013/04/01 17:59:52
  • J.MaisOui IAmMary... 2013/04/02 07:41:40
    J.MaisOui
    HAAA...meanie..

2014/09/02 07:28:36