Psychiatrist Says Leftists are Mentally Ill

Ken 2013/02/12 17:01:18
Psychiatrist Says Leftists are mentally ill

'Strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions' cited by clinical psychotherapist

With Nancy Pelosi repeatedly telling audiences about hearing voices of
deceased women, and Barack Obama regarded by many as dangerously
narcissistic, here comes a veteran psychiatrist making the case that the
mental-emotional world of leftists is actually tantamount to a mental
disorder.

For more than 40 years, Dr. Lyle Rossiter has diagnosed and treated over 1,500
patients as a board-certified clinical psychiatrist and examined more
than 2,700 civil and criminal cases, both state and federal, as a
forensic psychiatrist retained by numerous public offices, courts and
private attorneys. He received his medical and psychiatric training at
the University of Chicago.

Rossiter explains with great clarity why the kind of liberalism
displayed by Barack Obama during his presidency can only be understood
as a psychological disorder.

"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals
relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our
freedoms were founded," says Rossiter. "Like spoiled, angry children,
they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand
that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

"A social scientist who understands human nature will not dismiss the
vital roles of free choice, voluntary cooperation and moral integrity –
as liberals do," he says. "A political leader who understands human
nature will not ignore individual differences in talent, drive, personal
appeal and work ethic, and then try to impose economic and social
equality on the population – as liberals do. And a legislator who
understands human nature will not create an environment of rules which
over-regulates and overtaxes the nation's citizens, corrupts their
character and reduces them to wards of the state – as liberals do."

Rossiter says the liberal agenda preys on weakness and feelings of inferiority in the population by:

• creating and reinforcing perceptions of victimization;
  • satisfying infantile claims to entitlement, indulgence and compensation;
  • augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
  • rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government.

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly
identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to
adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs
of the liberal mind," he says. "When the modern liberal mind whines
about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks
above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own
lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."

Dr. Lyle Rossiter is the author of "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness" - given an average of

stars on Amazon.com.

• Joyce Singha 2014/08/18 05:19:31
    Joyce Singha
    +2
    No study was needed for this conclusion by observant people :)
  • Tresa 2013/02/24 21:07:49
    Tresa
    Rossiter's book is a direct rebuttal to a government funded study titled Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition. A study published in 2003.
    There's nothing unbiased in his findings, he's a conservative who didn't like a previous study that showed conservatism in a negative light so he's basically saying (in my best PeeWee Herman voice) "I know you are but what am I?"
  • happyhappyhappy 2013/02/22 01:55:52
    happyhappyhappy
    I can't take this article seriously. It's written in Comic Sans.

I'd rather be mentally ill than heartless and selfish.
  • Ken happyha... 2013/02/22 02:48:49 (edited)
    +1
    I happen to like the look of Comic Sans, so sue me. There you go, doing exactly what makes me ill when liberals do it - donning the cloak of moral superiority.

Insfar as conservatives being "heartless and selfish," they give, on average, 30% more to charity than liberals do, and they are also more likely to donate blood and their time to charity. Do you know how much your liberal Democrat VP, Joe Biden gave to charity over the last decade?
    http://www.realclearpolitics....
    He gave an average of $369 per year, or 0.2% of his income! http://abcnews.go.com/Politic...

So tell us again - who are the heartless and selfish ones?
  • happyha... Ken 2013/02/22 02:50:01
    happyhappyhappy
    So do 1st graders and homeschoolers.
  • Ken happyha... 2013/02/22 19:32:32
    +1
    Your point? The message is the same whatever the typesetting. And I'm waiting to hear about who are the real "heartless and selfish ones.".
  • happyha... Ken 2013/02/22 22:58:42 (edited)
    happyhappyhappy
    Well first off, the Comic Sans part was a joke.
    And secondly, you added all but the "I happen to like the look of Comic Sans, so sue me." later. So screw you. That kinda pisses me off. Don't you try and make me looks stupid by adding stuff you didn't post originally.

Goodbye, sir.
  • Ken happyha... 2013/02/23 01:23:25
    That was actually the very first phrase I typed, so go screw yourself if you are that sensitive. My editing was to get the last sentence from running into the last link (blue) which I failed to achieve.

Good Bye.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2013/02/16 07:17:53
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    This is not news to me!
  • topcat128 2013/02/14 22:27:07
    topcat128
    +1
    Finally a professional agrees with me "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder".
  • joseph digristina 2013/02/13 23:12:02
  • texasred 2013/02/13 18:11:22
    texasred
    +3
    They prove it on a daily basis!!
  • Keegan The Fabulous 2013/02/13 04:35:27
    Keegan The Fabulous
    "'Based on strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions, modern liberals
    freedoms were founded,' says Rossiter. 'Like spoiled, angry children,
    that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave.'

"'A social scientist who understands human nature will not dismiss the
    as liberals do,' he says. 'A political leader who understands human
    character and reduces them to wards of the state – as liberals do.'

"'The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly
    of the liberal mind,' he says. 'When the modern liberal mind whines
    about imaginary victims, rages aga...

lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious.'"

- - - - - - -

When I read the quotes, I noticed that Rossiter is very meticulous about his word choice, so much that he sounds more like a politician than a psychiatrist. He could've said "the principles upon which our government is based" but instead said "the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded," and he chose to say "moral INTEGRITY" when "moral PATTERNS would've sounded less arrogant. And notice the voice Rossiter uses when he says:

- "The roots of liberalism - and its associated madness..."
    - "Like spoiled, angry children..."
    - "And a legislator who understands human nature will not create an environment which over-regulates and overtaxes the nation's citizens, corrupts their character and reduces them to wards of the state."
    - "When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains..."

Sounds awfully philosophical, right? Psychiatrists and other researchers usually resort to the bare minimum when describing their findings, so it's odd that Rossiter sounds like a politician or philosopher making an argument. It sounds to me like Rossiter is trying to make an emotional appeal to his audience, rather than telling us what he found just as he found it.

Long story short: while it would've been interesting to see what evidence Rossiter has, his voice turns me off. Right away, he sounds like someone who writes the scripts for presidential campaign ads.
  • David 2013/02/13 04:15:31
    David
    The wise psychiatrist must be one of those that believe that a woman's body has a natural defense against rape and can't be come pregnant when abused in this way!
  • Ken David 2013/02/13 19:12:56
    +1
    That you could come to such a conclusion based upon the synopsis of his book says a lot about you - - - none of it good.
  • David Ken 2013/02/13 22:02:33
    David
    Smile
  • Mark 2013/02/13 03:54:28
    Mark
    +1
    You mean, as opposed to the psychological disorders of the Conservatives: Borderline Adult Anti-Social Disorder, Borderline Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Paranoia, and Kleptophobia (the second type, "stolen from", since many are not afraid of stealing from others)? XD
  • Ken Mark 2013/02/13 05:48:01 (edited)
    +2
    With Obama it isn't "borderline," it's a full-blown Narcissistic Personality Disorder --

“I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.” Barack Obama

This quote was attributed to Obama by Patrick Gaspard, who was Obama’s first White House political director, in an interview with The New Yorker in November 2008.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/...
  • Nick Name 2013/02/13 03:46:41
    Nick Name
    +1
    This obviously isn't medical science or any kind of science.
    This is some wildly biased guy who has decided something he doesn't like is wrong.
  • Comment... Nick Name 2013/02/13 12:28:01
    Commenting_one
    +1
    And appeals to the same kind.
  • Booッ 2013/02/13 03:28:26
    Booッ
    +1
    I can't believe how stupid some people can be! *sigh* now that is why I weep for humanity.
  • reaper 2013/02/13 02:52:45
    reaper
    strange how this is all from one person that is just trying to sell books. cons have a much bigger problem http://www.psychologytoday.co...
  • rk 2013/02/13 02:50:46
    rk
    +4
    Yup they make emotional and feeling based decisions and use imperfect logic or propaganda to further their beliefs
  • Mrs. V 2013/02/13 02:32:44
    Mrs. V
    +5
    And that's a fact.
  • Mary Mary 2013/02/13 02:29:08
    Mary Mary
    +1
    Republican American's are generally seen as a laughing stock, backwards, superstitious people resistant to progress, which fails to care for it's own citizens. In America employment and health benefits are pitiful in comparison to the rest if the western world, the gun laws are considered bizarre and the incredibly harsh justice system including the barbaric death penalty laws is shocking to the milder more "rehabilitation" focussed Liberal views. There are also the issues with human rights, womens rights, and wars. In fairness having nuts like Sarah Palin and whatsisname off Fox News does not help the reputation of the USA.

Apparently some third world countries still see America as the land of opportunity but I would say that the general reputation of the USA is in tatters and serious work will be needed before it can win back the respect of the world. With Obama the USA has a chance.
  • Ken Mary Mary 2013/02/13 02:54:03
    +4
    Really Mary? You must be too young to have been around during WWII when America saved Australia from a Japanese invasion. You also have demonstrated your abject ignorance of what most Republicans stand for, which is the rule of law under a limited federal government as delineated in our Constitution. Most of the world is going broke because of their liberal/progressive governments - Greece had to be bailed out, Spain, Italy and Ireland are next and France is taxing the rich at 75% - so high that people are leaving the country.

The U.S. economy has taken a battering under the "progressive" leadership of Barack Obama, but it is still the land of opportunity. You may consider the gun laws to be "bizarre" but our Second Amendment beats the hell out of having a tyrannical government seize all weapons as they did in Nazi Germany, Great Britain, and, oh, yes, Australia.

"Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to turn them over to the local police authority. Firearms and ammunition found in a Jew's possession will be forfeited to the government without compensation ... Whoever willfully or negligently violates the provisions ... will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.
    -- Nazi Law, Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons, 11 Nov 1938, German Minister of the Interior
  • Jackie Ken 2013/02/13 04:18:46
  • Mary Mary Ken 2013/02/13 10:50:15
    Mary Mary
    The USA had already refused the 3rd Reich's request to take in German Jews. The country remained neutral until, for some reason best known to themselves, Japan bombed Pearl Harbour on 7th December 1941.
    The UK declared war on Germany on 3rd. September, 1939, but the USA did not come into the war until Germany and Italy declared war on the USA on 11th. December 1941, 4 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbour.
    The USA was well aware of what was going on in Germany concerning the Jews, as were other allied countries, including the UK and France.
    _________________________
    America joined the war after it was known that the Jews were being discriminated against. As much as people like to ignore history, the USA itself was not a beacon of equality back then.

Europe was at war. Germany allied with Japan. Japan attacked America. America declared war on Japan and its ally (you know, Germany).

It's all quite depressingly straight forward. There was no moral crusade to liberate the oppressed Jews, and if the US had been confident that Britain and the Soviet Union would beat Germany without American help they'd never have joined the war in Europe at all.
  • Ken Mary Mary 2013/02/13 19:33:59
    And how about the Brits treatment of the Jews, keeping them out of their Palestinian protectorate even after the war? The Jews "displaced" by WWII overwhelmingly wanted to go to Palestine, but the Brits wouldn't allow it, fearing repercussions from their Arab oil-suppliers. It's true that the U.S. didn't enter the war until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the Axis powers declared war on the U.S. However, the U.S. was supplying Great Britain with all of the weapons that FDR could squeeze out of congress. The fact is that the U.S. population in the 1930s was very isolationist and very-much against getting involved in what they viewed as "Europe's problem," after the experience just over 20 years earlier in WWI. To say that the U.S. was aware of what Germany was doing to the Jews is false.It wasn't until late 1942 that the Holocaust was fully reported in the United States.

I never claimed there was a "moral crusade" to save the Jews, by either the U.S., Europe or Australia -- it was a shameful event for the entire free world. The truth is, though, that the United States Marines saved Australia by taking Guadalcanal, in the Solomon Islands, from the Japanese, when they were attempting to cut supply lines to Australia. Along with Australian forces, Americans also ke...

I never claimed there was a "moral crusade" to save the Jews, by either the U.S., Europe or Australia -- it was a shameful event for the entire free world. The truth is, though, that the United States Marines saved Australia by taking Guadalcanal, in the Solomon Islands, from the Japanese, when they were attempting to cut supply lines to Australia. Along with Australian forces, Americans also kept the Japanese from taking Port Moresby.and using it as a base from which to attack Australia. Without American troops, aircraft and weapons there is no doubt the Japanese would have invaded Australia in WWII.
  • Jackie Mary Mary 2013/02/13 04:30:25
    Jackie
    +1
    Mary Mary Mary Mary, it's "mates" like you with your ignorance and BLIND HATE towards Republicans/Conservative because we disagree with your liberal ideology and political beliefs that are the very people who do so only to instigate those on the "right" with your constant hateful comments on this website about Republicans in your feeble attempt to cause more dived in the USA,
  • Mary Mary Jackie 2013/02/13 10:51:14
    Mary Mary
    I'm a conservative, sorry
  • me Mary Mary 2013/02/22 19:30:26
    me
    +1
    I doubt it.... or maybe in name onle....
  • Mary Mary me 2013/02/22 22:42:09
    Mary Mary
    Lol

We Believe...
    In the inalienable rights and freedoms of all peoples; and we work towards a lean government that minimises interference in our daily lives; and maximises individual and private sector initiative
    In government that nurtures and encourages its citizens through incentive, rather than putting limits on people through the punishing disincentives of burdensome taxes and the stifling structures of Labor's corporate state and bureaucratic red tape.
    In those most basic freedoms of parliamentary democracy - the freedom of thought, worship, speech and association.
    In a just and humane society in which the importance of the family and the role of law and justice is maintained.
    In equal opportunity for all Australians; and the encouragement and facilitation of wealth so that all may enjoy the highest possible standards of living, health, education and social justice.
    That, wherever possible, government should not compete with an efficient private sector; and that businesses and individuals - not government - are the true creators of wealth and employment.
    In preserving Australia's natural beauty and the environment for future generations.
    That our nation has a constructive role to play in maintaining world peace and democracy through alliance with other free nations.
    In short, we simply believe in individual freedom and free enterprise; and if you share this belief, then ours is the Party for you.
  • texasred Jackie 2013/02/13 18:13:47
    texasred
    Australian politics define Conservatives and Liberals differently than we do. So when she says she's a Conservative... she's waffling.
  • Mary Mary Jackie 2013/02/13 23:47:27
    Mary Mary
    +1
    Tex ass blocked me so he should comment about be unless he has the balls to unblock me and talk to my face, COWARD Tex ass
  • Comment... Mary Mary 2013/02/13 12:56:41
    Commenting_one
    I LIVE here and until I was on this site, I hadn't realized how bad it has become. See, I am removed from it, personally, because I'm not around that Conservative mentality where I am, thank God. People here just go with the flow better than they do in some other parts of the country, which I only observe on this site. (It's kind of like I am watching a movie.. because it is SO unreal). They just want to "stir the pot", cause problems where there are none, be hateful, complain... on and on.. sometimes I think it's funny.. but it is sad, too, because it is affecting the country to have such negativity.. and they don't know it is them.

I think I once mentioned to you, how divided it has become, that particular states are more conservative than others -- mostly in the South. They just won't budge. (Oh, and this statement - this topic, is one of the lamest things I've ever read, but these guys will come up with anything to support their crazy views).
  • Mary Mary Comment... 2013/02/13 23:49:44
    Mary Mary
    +2
    I know the majority of Americans are NORMAL :-) that's why YOU won the election and THEY didn't Clapping hands
  • Comment... Mary Mary 2013/02/14 10:26:27
    Commenting_one
    +2
    That's right.. thank God.
  • me Mary Mary 2013/02/22 19:28:03
    me
    +1
    Besides a mental problem, Democrats also have selective memory or they purposely rewrite history to fit their agendas...

Such as:

Democrats otherwise known at the time as Dixiecrats fought integration tooth and nail and later came up with 'separate but equal' in order to hold on to segregation.

Democrats also started the KKK and joined in droves including many Democrat elected officials from federal down to local.

The last notorious politician to belong to the KKK was Democrat Senator Byrd who Clinton tried to smooth over by saying Byrd joined the KKK to garner votes.....except, Byrd was a KKK member long before he thought about going into politics.

Many of the Dixiecrats, believing their own propaganda about the Republicans later switched sides, resulting in the uptick of RINOs, [Republicans In Name Only..]....

Any Black who broke out of the box the Democrats placed them in were called 'Uncle Toms' and were demonized by both the Democrats and their fellow Blacks.

Just as in so many other areas, the Democrats history revisionism works for and on those low-information people who lap up all they can that supports their world view...

Today's Democrats are no different than those who have gone before but instead of hiding under pointed hoods, they hide behind lies, deceit, and history revision...
  • Ken me 2013/02/22 19:34:14
    All true - plus it was Republicans who voted in much higher percentages for the Civil Rights Act in the 1960s, helping LBJ to get it passed.

2014/12/20 14:28:13