Prosecutors Request to End Strauss-Kahn Case: Injustice Averted or Justice Perverted?

Spike 2011/08/23 17:01:28
It's been a brutal last few months for Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former head of the International Monetary Fund and French presidential hopeful, who was arrested in May on charges that he had sexually assaulted a hotel housekeeper.

Prosecutors working against Strauss-Kahn have reportedly dropped their charges due to the alleged victim's credibility, which was called into question when it was discovered she lied about being raped by soldiers in her home country of Guinea.

A judge has formally dismissed Strauss-Kahn's case, but an appeal is expected to be made this week. The accuser's lawyer continues to argue that his client was sexually assaulted, and they still have a lawsuit pending.

Strauss-Kahn issued a statement saying the last few months have been "a nightmare for me and my family. We appreciate his professionalism and that of the people who were involved in that decision ... [And we look forward to] returning to our home and resuming something of a more normal life."

Still, it's been tough to sympathize with the man, though he's denied every one of the charges against him. He was quickly lumped together with men like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anthony Weiner, and Tiger Woods, and that image will be hard to shake.

What this means for his career is uncertain. A presidential run is almost certainly out of the question, and he's already abandoned his post at the IMF.

Check back on Friday for the results of this question and a few others in our new Web series with Spike.com. And while you're at it, watch last week's Poll Position episode -- powered by SodaHead!

• Rude Richard 2011/08/24 14:03:04 (edited)
    Justice perverted
    Rude Richard
    +5
    He's got too much money to go to jail...He's been doing that kind of crap all he's life and he wont stop now either... money jail crap life

• mimi 2011/08/24 20:53:35
    Injustice averted
    mimi
    The maid should continue to go after him. These perverts with money think they can get away with anything.
  • Heathydog mimi 2011/08/24 21:20:40
    Heathydog
    I think you voted opposite of what you meant. It was confusing.
  • mimi Heathydog 2011/09/07 22:13:00
    mimi
    yes, thank you.
  • Nita mimi 2011/08/24 21:25:27
    Nita
    Hmm, you must have meant to click the Justice Perverted button....
  • mimi Nita 2011/09/07 22:13:42
    mimi
    thanks, i'm glad to see everyone else is awake.
  • Chuck 2011/08/24 20:51:36
    Justice perverted
    Chuck
    I don't think he is innocent, I just think he is stupid as hell, and that really bothers me in that he was in charge of the IMF in the first place. Wow!
  • Irish little 2011/08/24 20:48:56
    Justice perverted
    Irish little
    Money - money - money and toss in a bit of politics.
  • MrNightmare 2011/08/24 20:41:02
    Justice perverted
    MrNightmare
    +1
    I lived in Paris/Nueilly-sur-Seine from 1/86-7/98. At the time, Pres. Sarkozy was Mayor of Neuilly. I was at a party at his house one night and DSK was there. I saw him start groping the breasts and crotch of a woman who just froze and let him do it... he at the time was a huge politician. When it started, I was talking with Sarkozy and he held my arm because he knew what I was capable of... I probably would have broken DSK's arm. He belongs in jail!!!
  • Glenda MrNight... 2011/08/25 03:42:19
    Glenda
    Since you lived in Paris for quite awhile, you know the French turn a blind eye to all of this. They separate politics from personal life.
  • wgossett99 2011/08/24 20:28:46
    Justice perverted
    wgossett99
    I can't imagine why the woman would make this up. Besides, other women have come forward (who were intimidated by his power) with similar claims. This guy is a rapist who uses his position rather than physical force.
  • Nita wgossett99 2011/08/24 21:24:23
  • BJ 2011/08/24 20:26:21
    Justice perverted
    BJ
    I really don't know. When you have a record of lying, it's hard to believe you. He's a weirdo to be sure, but she's a liar. I think it would have been a big waste of taxpayer money And if she lied on her asylum form, shouldn't she been sent packing back to Guinea anyway?
  • ChristabelLartey 2011/08/24 20:14:42
    Justice perverted
    ChristabelLartey
    The former alleged victim did not have clean hands to begin with, and on top of that she cried wolf before on her assylum application about being raped back in her country (assuming she was telling the truth about the hotel incident), so following through with prosecuting DSK would have unfortunately been a waste of time, and as for DSK, even though the charges were dropped, I believe he still did something inappropriate.
  • EB 2011/08/24 20:14:16
    Justice perverted
    EB
    +1
    Just look at the number of French women who have just come out with similar stories. I hope if he goes back to France he receives justice there!
  • Billy-Rubn 2011/08/24 20:01:10
    Injustice averted
    Billy-Rubn
    This guy shouldn't get that long of a sentence for sexual assault. He is an idiot, and a socialist, but I don;t know if he sexually assaulted that women.
  • Glenda Billy-Rubn 2011/08/25 03:48:12
    Glenda
    What does being a socialist have to do with anything? My goodness, let's keep the politics out of this.
  • Billy-Rubn Glenda 2011/08/26 03:30:52
    Billy-Rubn
    I heard Strauss-Kahn was Jewish. This explains why their is such a heavy lawsuit against him.
  • ZeeOh6Nut 2011/08/24 20:00:58
    Injustice averted
    ZeeOh6Nut
    All I have to go on is what we read and see in the news. That said, I was for his being prosecuted like anybody else until the news stated her credibility fell apart. So short of dismissing the case all we can do is take more guesses at what is really the truth. Just because somebody is rich doesn't mean they're guilty. Just because she was less than honest in her stories does not mean the incident did not occur. Guess I'll get some more popcorn and wait for the next "you gotta be kidding me" story and all the unbelievable chapters that go with it...
  • Glenda ZeeOh6Nut 2011/08/25 03:52:43
    Glenda
    I am with you. I think I will have another drink and wait for the next episode.
  • Jack 2011/08/24 19:45:56
    Injustice averted
    Jack
    As always money talks.
  • Glenda Jack 2011/08/25 03:55:44
    Glenda
    +1
    Yes, money does talk. She's probably been well paid for her services by him or his wife. And that's when she changed her story and the lying began.
  • Rita 2011/08/24 19:36:21
    Injustice averted
    Rita
    Did some influential people want to take Mr. Strauss-Kahn away from his leadership position in order to "place" the lady that took over as head of the IMF when the whole ugly mess went down?
    I'd love to know the inside story, and I'm sure there is one coming...The timing was impeccable.
  • Star Rita 2011/08/24 23:32:39
    Star
    That's exactly what I thought.
  • Glenda Rita 2011/08/25 03:58:06
    Glenda
    This story sounds good to me. As I said before, I am sure there will be another episode to all of this.
  • micha77 2011/08/24 19:25:24
    Justice perverted
    micha77
    Of course there was a deal made here. Big payoff, and the jerk walks. There's justice for ya!
  • Pat Mason 2011/08/24 19:19:42
    Injustice averted
    Pat Mason
    +1
    This entire event was a set-up from the get-go. This is how the power elite go after their enemies. Anyone with an IQ over 85 should have seen this as the fraud it was.
  • Scaldari Anitoba 2011/08/24 19:02:02
    Justice perverted
    Scaldari Anitoba
    we are supposed to believe the house keeper walked in, he said "Hey, housekeeper, want to suck an international big wigs dick before i get on the plane?" and she just dropped to her knee's and took it like a Caribbean whore?" I doubt it.. Power wins again.
  • Star Scaldar... 2011/08/24 23:40:53
    Star
    She said, "she walked in an he ran toward her naked, grabbed her titties and feeling them, then raped her." Doesn't make sense.
  • ogre 2011/08/24 18:54:26
  • JuneGagnon 2011/08/24 18:54:14
    Justice perverted
    JuneGagnon
    It's been brought to my attention (more than once), that "a leopard does not change its spots"! Even tho' the NYC case "fell apart", there's still another "criminal action" pending, against DSK, right back home, in France. This case has been brought, by a female journalist, who claims DSK, viciously attacked her, during an interview, not that long ago! What say you now??
  • Tiko 2011/08/24 18:53:15
    Justice perverted
    Tiko
    ANother case of a powerful man taking advantage of a woman and getting away with it. Does anyone remember the Kenndy rape trial?
  • Bobby Bradley Sr. 2011/08/24 18:45:28
    Justice perverted
    Bobby Bradley Sr.
    Once again we see the difference between have and have not IN HOPES SHE WILL PREVAIL IN HER CIVIL SUIT
  • Bob Bobby B... 2011/08/24 20:01:11
    Bob
    She did this once before
  • Star Bobby B... 2011/08/24 23:42:38
    Star
    I hope she don't get a damn dime!!!!!
  • Bill 2011/08/24 18:39:23
    Injustice averted
    Bill
    Whether the guy is guilty or not, since the victim has lied many times before concerning this case, who knows for sure if she's not lying about being attacked, maybe for big pay off. Anyway, the prosecution doesn't feel that it could win the case, so why wast the courts time and money. This guy may be guilty as sin, but proving it beyond a doubt, probably would fail. This guy is an important figure, head of the International Monetary Fund, and regardless of his possible indisgression, it would put the U.S. in bad light with other Nations, perhaps. Remember, Diplomatic Immunity could prevail.
  • WRLO56 2011/08/24 18:34:45
    Injustice averted
    WRLO56
    +1
    What really scares me here is the sheer number of people who simply assume she was telling the truth and that any rich white guy who is accused of a sex crime simply MUST be guilty - evidence, or lack of it, be damned.

First of all, she didn't make the accusation - a fellow employee did.

Second, this wasn't some flea-bag roach motel, it was a major 5-star luxury hotel. I'm willing to bet that those hotels have strict policies against employees engaging in sexual relations with the guests, and any employee caught doing this would be fired.

Third, I have been told by reliable sources (and this makes sense) that high-end hotels always send cleaning staff in groups of two or more per floor, and that housemaids are NEVER supposed to close the door if they and the guest are both in the room - precisely to prevent this sort of situation from arising.

So what might have happened is this - DSK was in the room when the maid came in. He offers her an opportunity to make a quick buck and she could use the money. She fails to notice that there is a semen stain on her uniform until another employee points it out to her; at this point, afraid of losing her job, she makes up a story about having been sexually assaulted but begs the co-worker not to say anything. The co-worker makes th...

So what might have happened is this - DSK was in the room when the maid came in. He offers her an opportunity to make a quick buck and she could use the money. She fails to notice that there is a semen stain on her uniform until another employee points it out to her; at this point, afraid of losing her job, she makes up a story about having been sexually assaulted but begs the co-worker not to say anything. The co-worker makes the complaint anyway, and it all spirals out of control. The next thing she knows, some ambulance chasing lawyer offers to take her civil case for a contingency fee and promises she'll make big bucks out of suing DSK.

Maybe it happened that way, maybe not. But the fact that she kept changing her story is very much suggestive of someone who was trying to lie and wasn't very experienced at it.

There was certainly NO evidence of sexual assault, other than her testimony, which was worthless because of her repeated lying this point.
  • bobdid 2011/08/24 18:31:36
    Injustice averted
    bobdid
    In a he-said-she-said case it is extremely difficulty to convince a jury, beyond all reasonable doubt under the best of cricumstances. If the prosecurtion doubts the veracity of their only eye witness its incredibly doubtful that a a jury would, or should believe her beyond all reasonable doubt. I don't know whether Strauss-Kahn is guilty or not. But if the chances are slim of getting a conviction, the DA saved the taxpayers precious expense by dropping the case. This also frees up there resources to pursue provable cases against known criminals, who otherwise might have gone free.
  • jeepsrule98 2011/08/24 18:28:41
    Injustice averted
    jeepsrule98
    +1
    If the prosecution doesn't feel they can get a conviction, because the victim has lied and made false statements them they have to drop the case.
  • Bruce 2011/08/24 18:24:07
    Justice perverted
    Bruce
    This Frenchmen is the most disgusting human being. He has the nerve to bring a case against the prosecution when his own Country knows of his illegal sexual escapades. He should be forbidden to ever come to the United States again.
  • jeepster4 2011/08/24 18:19:51
    Justice perverted
    jeepster4
    Typical "Rich Boy" syndrome. It is beyond any expectation for the Rich guy to pay for his transgressions.

2014/10/02 16:55:44