Prosecutors Request to End Strauss-Kahn Case: Injustice Averted or Justice Perverted?

Spike 2011/08/23 17:01:28
It's been a brutal last few months for Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former head of the International Monetary Fund and French presidential hopeful, who was arrested in May on charges that he had sexually assaulted a hotel housekeeper.

Prosecutors working against Strauss-Kahn have reportedly dropped their charges due to the alleged victim's credibility, which was called into question when it was discovered she lied about being raped by soldiers in her home country of Guinea.

A judge has formally dismissed Strauss-Kahn's case, but an appeal is expected to be made this week. The accuser's lawyer continues to argue that his client was sexually assaulted, and they still have a lawsuit pending.

Strauss-Kahn issued a statement saying the last few months have been "a nightmare for me and my family. We appreciate his professionalism and that of the people who were involved in that decision ... [And we look forward to] returning to our home and resuming something of a more normal life."

Still, it's been tough to sympathize with the man, though he's denied every one of the charges against him. He was quickly lumped together with men like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anthony Weiner, and Tiger Woods, and that image will be hard to shake.

What this means for his career is uncertain. A presidential run is almost certainly out of the question, and he's already abandoned his post at the IMF.

Check back on Friday for the results of this question and a few others in our new Web series with Spike.com. And while you're at it, watch last week's Poll Position episode -- powered by SodaHead!

• Rude Richard 2011/08/24 14:03:04 (edited)
    Justice perverted
    Rude Richard
    +5
    He's got too much money to go to jail...He's been doing that kind of crap all he's life and he wont stop now either... money jail crap life

• LOU Bilingu... 2011/08/26 05:46:00
    LOU
    Take a trip to NYC. Everyone has two lawyers and is suing everyone.
  • Bilingu... LOU 2011/08/26 06:38:36
    Bilingual required sucks
    Actually I love NY, got family on Long Island, and Ive been there a lot.
  • Bob DiN LOU 2011/08/24 06:32:14
    Bob DiN
    Good point.
  • Bob DiN LOU 2011/08/24 06:31:33
    Bob DiN
    Agreed!
  • deBrice LOU 2011/08/24 14:03:02
  • THAT WAS FUN 2011/08/23 20:13:24
  • LOU THAT WA... 2011/08/23 20:59:52 (edited)
  • THAT WA... LOU 2011/08/23 22:56:57
  • LOU THAT WA... 2011/08/24 00:34:57
  • THAT WA... LOU 2011/08/25 22:07:45 (edited)
  • PDenoli 2011/08/23 20:05:52
    Justice perverted
    PDenoli
    Only two people know what happened, and I think they both believe different things.

If I believe Strauss-Kahn: I would have to believe that a maid who falsified her immigration papers managed to convince an unwilling quadrillionaire to let her chew on his stogie in order to engage in extortion. But instead of trying to extort him, she gave him a happy ending and called the police... which would guarantee that he couldn't pay her off without looking guilty. Falsifying your immigration papers and charging someone with rape - both wrong, but not in the same ballpark.

If I believe Diallo: I would have to believe that a quadrillionaire went berserk, ripped his clothes off, and decided it would be a great idea to randomly rape his maid before jotting off for home. And he was thinking she'd be good about it and keep her mouth shut (no pun)? Of course, he totally unconcerned or oblivious to HIV and other STD risks. He'd also have to choose to do this instead of hiring someone?

People do crazy things - really crazy things, but neither story seems credible to me.

It seems more likely that they had some friendly exchange and she had some poorly formed idea about what was going to happen between them and flirted or at least seemed to be flirting. He responded in some way that ...

It seems more likely that they had some friendly exchange and she had some poorly formed idea about what was going to happen between them and flirted or at least seemed to be flirting. He responded in some way that didn't offend her at first, but at some point through shock or fear she either complied with what he was saying or doing or froze up. Then things rapidly escalated. He either went farther or treated her more roughly and rudely than she was prepared for. The issue of consent got muddled because she was either okay or seemed to be okay up to a point but then he went way beyond that. Oblivious to her state until he satisfied his urges, he simply used the maid. By the time he was done, she was probably visibly upset. Once he realized how upset she was, he panicked, and fled... rest is history.

That's what I think happened.

I don't think she's a whore or an extortionist. Despite his history of bad touching, I don't think he set out to rape her. I think she interacted with him enough that he really thought it was consensual to a point, and by the time he realized she wasn't happy with what he had done it was too late to take it back. Was it Rape? From her perspective, probably. From his perspective before, probably not... and afterwards, he was convinced it was rape. Why else would he be trying to flee the country?

Bottom line for the prosecution is that you'd never be able to prove what happened without a recording. (And let's face it, if she were an extortionist - there'd be a tape!) I feel sorry for her, and he sounds like a real @sshole. But I don't think there is any way to prove he raped her.

That's my opinion of what happened. But I wasn't there so I don't know. Neither were you, so for all you know, I'm right.
  • kevracer 2011/08/23 19:54:47
    Justice perverted
    kevracer
    +2
    the gutless DA should have let a jury decide
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/08/23 19:47:32
    Injustice averted
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Seems like he was set up so they could kick him out of his seat as the head of the IMF.
  • johnc 2011/08/23 19:29:19
    Justice perverted
    johnc
    +2
    have the right connections, get away with anything, I recall a Billy Ayers.
  • boneman1 2011/08/23 19:21:27
    Justice perverted
    boneman1
    I have no doubt that this scumbag did what he was accused of, but the accuser is so unreliable that the prosecutor was unwilling to move forward with the case. She's been caught in lies in the past and was even caught lying to the police in this case.
  • Lucy 2011/08/23 19:21:21
    Injustice averted
    Lucy
    If the prosecutor found fault with the case what can you do. This is what happens if you are found to be a liar. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't concentual and then when no payment was made, the maid got mad. Who knows.
  • Matt 2011/08/23 19:16:09
    Justice perverted
    Matt
    I have very little doubt that this incident, the arrest, and the charges are all part of a setup. I have less doubt that dropping the charges hinged upon him setting up the rest of the world.
  • GINGERBREAD 2011/08/23 19:14:08
    Injustice averted
    GINGERBREAD
    Now, I have no love for this guy, but really? This is what occurred 1 hr after the "ATTACK". The "lady" called her pimp and told him that she was going to come into a lot of money. Every time she speaks, the story gets very different from the last story. And her objection? These stories weren't SWORN" testimony. Whatever that means. This "lady" has told all kinds of stories, even why she came to the USA, that she was gang raped, untrue. This "LADY" is, first of all, a prostitute. She made a lot of side money by offering herself to the "guests". And, probably, she tried this out with several guests and the scam worked, but not with this guy.
  • KB 2011/08/23 19:12:46
    Injustice averted
    KB
    +1
    It's funny how the lady kept changing her story.
  • BubbaHoTep 2011/08/23 19:02:04
    Injustice averted
    BubbaHoTep
    +1
    He was lumped together with Scharzenegger, Weiner, and Woods...did any of them get accused of raping someone?

======

The purported victim, the DA's office had decided, had repeatedly lied about key elements of her story, leading the investigators to conclude that she could not survive robust cross-examination. It was not the fact that she sought to recover money in a civil suit. If she were wronged, she had every right to be compensated and victims of sexual assault commonly prosecute a civil action. Nor was it the fact that she lied on an asylum application, fabricating a gang rape that never occurred. Prosecutors are often confronted with flawed witnesses. But if the story is cogent and the corroboration is there, prosecutors can overcome, and frequently do overcome, the flaws. But here the credibility issues were of the worst kind. Prosecutors and investigators claim that she was repeatedly lying to them, unpredictably changing her story and raising reason to doubt that she was telling the truth. The inconsistencies turned toxic.

======
  • deBrice Sister ... 2011/08/23 21:06:59
    deBrice
    He was seriously going to be elected President, me and a lot of my friend were about to vote for him !
  • Sister ... deBrice 2011/08/23 21:08:08
    and?
  • deBrice Sister ... 2011/08/24 13:57:32
    deBrice
    Sorry, I though you said "he was set up"
  • dawn 2011/08/23 18:51:19
    Injustice averted
    dawn
    +4
    This woman is a fraud, from her accusations that she was gang raped in her native Guinea, to lying and claiming she had 2 children or that she had AIDSto get a free apartment, to all of th at money showing up in her bank account!
  • Brosia 2011/08/23 18:31:21
    Justice perverted
    Brosia
    +2
    Why is the credibility of the alleged victim in question? Shouldn't she be able to bring him to court and let a jury decide if she is telling the truth?
  • dawn Brosia 2011/08/23 18:55:47
    dawn
    +2
    No. The prosecutor couldn't believe her story and knew that her credibility wouldn't be believed so they dropped the case not to waste taxpayerts money.
  • rand 2011/08/23 18:22:50
    Justice perverted
    rand
    Given the statement she made to an imprisoned friend in AZ, the jury would have found him not guilty and trying him would have been a waste of taxpayer money. I think she was molested and came to see the incident as a way to cash in.
  • zbacku 2011/08/23 18:22:45
    Justice perverted
    zbacku
    The powerful and mighty once again squash the truth.
  • Lucy zbacku 2011/08/23 19:24:06
    Lucy
    +1
    Why do you automatically think the man is guilty? She was found to be a huge liar and should be prosecuted herself for her fraudulant stories.
  • FordCrews 2011/08/23 18:10:15
    Justice perverted
    FordCrews
    Sadly justice may be blind, but can sure sniff out money. ;-/
  • Lynn 2011/08/23 18:06:34
    Injustice averted
    Lynn
    +1
    The whole thing felt like a shakedown from the start.
  • Simi Dave 2011/08/23 18:00:43
    Justice perverted
    Simi Dave
    +2
    But when you can’t win a case in court, it then just becomes an un-winnable dog-and-pony show. You’ll have jurors who know he is guilty, but will acquit to to lack of evidence.

2014/10/23 06:55:13