Prop 8 Overturned. Will This Ruling Survive A Supreme Court Review?

abycinnamon BN-1 2010/08/04 21:08:49
California Proposition 8 was a CA constitutional amendment that overturned case law allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry. It was challenged in federal court, and the judge ruled that the CA amendment was unconstitutional under the US constitution, once again allowing gay couples to marry with the same rights and privileges as straight couples.

Do you think the supreme court is likely to support this ruling?

• carl 2010/08/04 22:09:32
    carl
    +14
    The Supreme court will and should overturn the ruling. The Constitution expressly says that anything not specifically stated in the U.S. Constitution is left in the hands of the state. The Constitution says nothing about gay marriage. It is a states rights issue.

• Orangedragan 2010/11/13 17:56:40
    Orangedragan
    +1
    I sure as hell hope so.
  • tregger92 2010/08/17 16:54:03
    tregger92
    I am a human being, you are a human being, unless you are gay too... why should I nor anyone else have the same HUMAN rights as anyone else?
  • boneman1 2010/08/16 13:38:17
    boneman1
    It's hard to say what the courts will do any more. I'm not sure what part of the constitution the judge based the decision on. I personally hope that the supreme court upholds Proposition 8. Nobody's trying to deny gays the same benefits and privileges as heterosexual couples and I'm all for allowing a "civil" union. The majority of people however, feel that marriage should be protected as a ceremony between a man and a woman.
  • Hutch 2010/08/15 01:59:36
    Hutch
    I would hope that it wouldnt, however based off of the last two nominations placed into the court, prop 8 will be overturned regardless of how the people feel, people voted, and people defined the rule of marriage in our land.
  • Blasphameer 2010/08/14 19:18:55
    Blasphameer

Let 'em marry!
  • Shadow13 2010/08/14 15:21:28
    Shadow13
    I'm confident that the Supreme Court will rule that Prop 8 is unconstitutional. Equal protection of people under the law is an integral part of our nation's constitution. There is no rational argument for the persecution of homosexuals. People may have their feelings on the matter, but feelings are not facts.
  • Estick 2010/08/14 08:20:47
    Estick
    I don't believe the Supreme Court will overturn the ruling . Eventually gay marriage will be legal in all 50 states. It's gonna happen whether you like it or not...

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)."
    - Ayn Rand
  • Himself 2010/08/14 00:49:06
    Himself
    +2
    The Supreme Court won't overturn the ruling. Prop 8 violated Constitutional rights of Californians and the homosexual couples have a legal civil injury to their civil rights. I'm looking forward to the SCoTUS to rule on it, though, so gays will get the right to marry in every state of the US. That'll be funny to watch all the Conservatives' heads explode!
  • DoSi Himself 2010/08/14 03:39:47
  • *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP 2010/08/12 21:49:30
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    The Supreme Court will uphoild it when HOMOsexuals manage to find a way to propagate without the assistance of intrusive technology, or stunt cocks. ;o)
  • proudto... *Danno*... 2010/08/12 23:24:40
    proudtobeanAmerican
    +2
    Your post seems logical, but in the upside down "regressive" country we live in right now, logic is not always considered.
  • *Danno*... proudto... 2010/08/13 16:19:27 (edited)
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +3
    Socialism cannot stand the light of day, nor survive in the real World. These people supporting the Communist attempts made by the leftists cannot understand that a mere 10% will NOT be allowed to ride roughshod over the remaining 90%.

If they could do the simple math they would realize that their cause is LOST. ;o)
  • Himself *Danno*... 2010/08/14 00:50:57
    Himself
    +3
    Proposition 8 did not pass by a 90% majority. Not even 55%
  • *Danno*... Himself 2010/08/14 16:22:40
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    The majority of Californians, perhaps the MOST liberal state in the Union, passed it with well over 50% of the vote. Now the Communist styled Liberals are trying to make those votes irrelevant.

liberal union passed 50 vote communist styled liberals votes irrelevant
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/15 17:56:37
    abycinnamon BN-1
    2% is well over 50%? It was a pretty close race, and without the vast sums of money poured into the campaign by the mormon church for their disinformation campaign, it would have failed.
  • hunter 44 abycinn... 2010/08/15 18:04:03
    hunter 44
    So then you need to restrict the vast sums those with the homosexual agenda also poured into the issue.
  • abycinn... hunter 44 2010/08/16 22:24:14
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Supporters of marriage equality were enormously outspent by the mormons - who under their federal tax exempt status are prohibited from doing what the did. Unfortunately, they are not required to open their books to prove that they did what they did. I personally do not feel another state's religious dingbats or their money belong in my state's legislation or campaigns.
  • abycinn... hunter 44 2010/08/17 18:54:24
    abycinnamon BN-1
    What I object to is a religious group which is not supposed to be involved in politics at all - this is part of why they are tax exempt - involving themselves to such a degree that they actually change the outcome of another state's issue.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/17 18:42:49 (edited)
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    Prop 8 had more support than AlGore did back in 2000.

It has been reported that the Gay Marrage proponents had much more money than did the Prop 8 people. Couple that with this being up for a vote in the most liberal state in the Union and even a blind man would tell you that the less than 10% of Americans known as HOMOsexuals don't have a chance. ;o)
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/17 19:34:11
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Don't know where you're getting you're information, but it's incorrect.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/17 20:10:54
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    Oh really? Then I guess my conclusion was wrong also, but ...

Oh my: Ninth Circuit stays Walker’s order, postpones gay marriage in California until December; Update: Prop 8 opponents won’t appeal!!!
    http://hotair.com/archives/20...

Shazzam! That MUST have left a mark. BWAHAHAHAHahahahahahaha....

update prop 8 opponents appeal httphotair comarchives20 shazzam mark bwahahahahahahahahahaha
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/18 16:15:02
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Danno, I don't know what your problem is - I do think you suffer from a deficiency of grey cells - but the fact that the 9th circuit court stayed the decision of the lower court to allow gay marriages to proceed was completely predictable - that is why the lower court delayed lifting the ban. So - sorry - you haven't scored a thing and you are still mistaken with respect to the other matter.

The fact that you are a fan of Limbaughs and that you simply view liberalism as some sort of anti-american disease tell me that you are noit informed, you do not think, and you are just another lemming like troglodyte spewing the usual faux and limbaugh generated soundbytes and talking points. And that you truly have nothing to say. I am also informed by your other posts.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/18 17:26:56
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    Predictable? YOU were able to Predict that the Prop 8 opponents would not appeal? LMAO!

Liberalism IS a sort of disease as it attacks the brain until said brain is incapable of distinguishing reality from fantasy. Just look at the policies of the 0bama Regime to date. He has pissed away TRILLIONS and managed to accomplish what? Not A Thing!

Name calling remains the purview of those with minds damaged by the Liberal disease. It also accomplishes nothing, is meaningless when dealing with the problems faced by people today, and serves no real purpose.

America is a county FOR THE PEOPLE, not for select groups who remain in the minority. As these 'Mariage' laws serve to attack the religious faiths of the majority they will always be seen for what they are, and our Big GoBernment is forbidden to tamper with religion via the First Ammendment in the U.S. Constitution, and that does include the courts. ;o)

faiths majority gobernment forbidden tamper religion ammendment constitution include courts
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/19 00:01:53
    abycinnamon BN-1
    marriage is a legal contract. ask any divorce lawyer. religion is not the issue here. As far as name calling goes, I've seen way more of that from the conservatives than the liberals. Like your very silly graphics.

The prop 8 opponents have better things to do than worry about bans. Like winning their case. And winning full equality and civil rights for their clients.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/19 19:01:53
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    Then let them go contract legally and STOP TERRORIZING the Christian faiths already! Want to see video of those dispicable HOMOsexuals threatening decent Americans? I've got them!

When the going gets tough the LIEberals scatter. Such is the case with the 0bamaMosques, and such is the case here. ;o)

• abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/19 19:53:36
    abycinnamon BN-1
    I can't play videos where I am. I was going to ask you if you were 10, but I see from your profile that your body at least is older than that.

It is next to impossible to have an intelligent discussion with someone whose arguments consist of epithets and dogma. If you are so extremely rigid that you cannot consider that the other side has any merit at all, there is little point in attempting a discussion.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/19 20:18:50 (edited)
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +1
    You can't play video's? What about all of that hopey changey stuff? I guess 0bama's TRILLION dollar bailout failed you too.

BTW, you should read actual news stories instead of spreading the FAILED 0bamaGanda of the year. That particular list of yours has been debunked SO MUCH that NO Democrat will run with the 0bama Regime today. ;o)
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/20 00:21:07
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Dude, I'm staying at my mother's house because it's near my physical therapy for the knee surgery I recently had. My house is 100 miles away. It also has lots of very crappy little poorly built stairs. My mother has crappy slow internet because she hates computers and doesn't need a fast connection. Trying to watch a video here is about as much fun as bamboo slivers under your nails. So, I don't. So I'm afraid I have actually found one thing you can't blame obama for. You probably won't have much luck with eclipses either, although I'm sure you'll try.

I am really weary of these endless, one-dimensional, and largely meritless attacks on the democrats, on the president, and on anybody who isn't an evangelical teabagger. You are very good with caps, and very good at vitriolic, but that's actually all I'm seeing. A lot of progress has been made this year, and no thanks to nearly all of the republicans. and if you think that's great - well - good for you.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/20 20:40:46
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    You Douchebaggers [opposite of teabagger] really have no clue. You see, there is nothing one dimentional about the abject failure of the Democrat controlled Congress to actually attempt to correct this recession, there is nothing one dimmentional in the way that 0bama has pissed away TRILLIONS of dollars, and the only 'progress' made by the Communist styled democrat Party is how their efforts have proven to Real Americans that they are not capable of leading this great country.

How about the Democrats raiding the Food Stamp Proram in order to fund the Thug Unions? [Google it] Gotta love the people working to starve the poor in America. /sarc
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/21 01:58:05
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Teachers and police are thugs? so glad you think so.

You enemabaggers (as long as we're playing name games here) are just too stupid to live.

Go on, keep playing glenn and billow and all the other faux tards. You don't think, you do not understand and you have nothing to say. Have a nice fantasy life. By all means, continue to deny reality and live in your own little toxic world. Please stay away from those of us with more neurons than you. In your case, that would be more than 2. I believe yours are connected by a spirochete.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/23 05:12:52
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +2
    Name calling is all fine and well, but NO ONE that I support is raiding the Food Stamps Program designed to feed the poor.

I hope you are proud of yourself the next time you see, or read about a child starving in America because YOU and Your ILK will be RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT!

Heartless bastids ALL!
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/23 19:38:29
    abycinnamon BN-1
    I love how you want to have your cake and eat it too. And you're the one who started with the names.

If the food stamps program were left, you'd be screaming about a welfare state and the deficit, and that there are sooo many job losses and the stimulus wasn't helping that - and never mind how the tax cut - which were put in attempting to please YOUR party do nothing to help.

So, having done this - you get to scream as you are.

If both programs were kept, then you'd have to resort to just screaming about the deficit and all of the irresponsible spending.

So - no matter what happens you idiots have something to scream about. And quite frankly - I seriously doubt that your candidates would actually support food stamps at all - because that would make them liberals, and you're too stupid to be a
    liberal. Furthermore, you're obviously too spoiled to understand that sometimes you don't get everything you want.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/23 19:51:55
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +1
    Leave it to liberals like YOU to starve the children, and not give a DAMN about it!

leave liberals starve children damn

Todays Democrat Party:
    Starve the children
    Kill the old people [0bamaScare]
    Support Terrorism in America

democrat party starve children kill people 0bamascare support terrorism america
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/24 17:50:22
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Is it that you aren't able to read, or is your short term memory gone? Maybe time to see the neurologist?
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/24 20:45:26
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +1
    You can run from the facts, but in the end they tend to bite you where it hurts the most. ;o)
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/24 22:15:29
    abycinnamon BN-1
    I have yet to see a fact from you. So maybe you should take your own advice.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/24 22:42:09
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +1
    Now it is MY responsibility to educate you??? ROTFLMAO! Give Google a try.

Judge Blocks Obama’s Stem-Cell Research Expansion

In a setback to the Obama administration’s efforts to expand stem-cell research, a judge has issued a preliminary injunction blocking the federal government from funding any medical research that involves embryonic stem cells. In his ruling, U.S. chief district court judge Royce Lamberth cited a law that bans the use of federal dollars for research in which an embryo is destroyed.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intel/...
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/24 22:58:51
    abycinnamon BN-1
    I would say it's your responsibility to educate yourself, at which you seem to have failed miserably. However, it is your responsibility to back up the claims you have made, at which you have also failed miserably. You also seem to have a terrible time fo
    following a line of thought. I would really, seriously, consider seeing a psychiatrist as I do believe you may have a treatable problem.

So now you have (again) abruptly changed subject and are talking about stem cells. And apparently, for some insane reason, you think is a good thing that more stem cell research has been curtailed. Well, given your complete absence of intellect I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I expect you'd be happy if the sun went nova as long as the republicans were behind it. To me it just more proof that you are probably one of the stupidest people I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.
  • *Danno*... abycinn... 2010/08/25 16:53:31
    *Danno* JYD - SWMTPP
    +1
    Liberal idealism always fails, and I am here to prove it.

How about that 0bamaScare bill that NO ONE EVER READ?

Baucus replied that if Libby residents assembled an economic development plan, he would do what he could to help, and he took credit for “essentially” writing the health care bill that passed the Senate.

“I don’t think you want me to waste my time to read every page of the health care bill. You know why? It’s statutory language,” Baucus said. “We hire experts."

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com...

Expect to hear that line used when they [the Democrat Elites] are looking to cast blame for the bill being ruled Unconstitutional. ;o)
  • abycinn... *Danno*... 2010/08/25 19:01:21
    abycinnamon BN-1
    what makes you think the bill is going to be ruled unconstitutional? I haven't heard of a suit being brought against it. I'm sure you have a list.

Given the amount of time spent on the bill in the various committees, I think the notion that "no one ever read it" is absurd on its face.

2014/10/26 04:33:52