Private School Outed Shantelle Hicks, Pregnant 8th Grader, In A New Mexico School Assembly (VIDEO)

Herb 2012/03/08 19:49:22
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/staff-out-pregnant-8...

Shantelle Hicks, a 15-year-old from Gallup, N.M. claims she was first forced to leave the Wingate Elementary School and then publicly outed as being pregnant in front of all students and employees, KOB-TV reports.

Wingate Elementary is a public boarding school for Native American children from kindergarten through 8th grade.

Now, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, Hicks has filed suit against the school, claiming they violated her constitutional rights. According to the complaint, school officials kicked Hicks out of school after learning of her pregnancy, but readmitted her four days later when the ACLU of New Mexico informed the school that it's illegal to deny a student access to education for being pregnant.

But two weeks after her readmission, a school counselor and the director of the middle school forced the teen to stand before the middle school assembly and announced her condition -- allegedly before anyone but her sister knew.

“It was so embarrassing to have all the other kids staring at me as I walked into the gymnasium,” said Hicks, according to KOB. “I didn’t want the whole school to know I was pregnant because it’s not their business, and it wasn’t right for my teachers to single me out.”

According to the suit, school officials informed Hicks that she would be a "bad example" to other students, and requested she attend another school, a Washington Post local report states.

“It is outrageous that educators would subject a young woman in their care to such cruelty,” ACLU of New Mexico cooperating attorney Barry Klopfer said, according to the Indian Country Today Community Network.

The girl's mother, Vicky Hicks, says her daughter's public humiliation was wrong.

"[Students] shouldn't be treated differently because they're pregnant," Hicks told KOAT-TV.

The lawsuit was filed on March 6th and seeks punitive damages and declaratory relief for violation of constitutional rights to equal protection and of the Title IX prohibition against sex and pregnancy discrimination in education.

• janey6524 2012/03/10 17:07:33
    janey6524
    +3
    Never happened. Ask the kids about the assembly and what happened. Mom is suing because she's a useless tard with a made-up story.

• janey6524 2012/03/10 17:07:33
    janey6524
    +3
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/03/08 21:58:10
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Did she honestly think she was going to get less pregnant and that kids wouldn't notice she was pregnant. Is the ACLU that stupid to take this case. This reminds me of the case of the pregnant cheerleader that wanted reinstatement on the squad despite her condition. While I wouldn't hold an assembly to discuss it, pregnancy is one of those things you can only hide for so long. What stupid lawsuit.
  • flaca BN-0 2012/03/08 20:55:57
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    I'm glad they reinstated her, because what's done is done. However, shame is the one thing that teaches others about consequences, and teaches this young lady a lesson: that acting shamefully should bring shame. In times when everyone knew everyone and we all lived in small villages, shame was the major deterrent from doing things you shouldn't.
    And as said below, gossip would have made this a moot point anyway. I despair of a world without shame. How would people repent and change their lives and become better people if shame didn't exist? She didn't get stoned. I wish her well and hope she can move on and pay her dues by becoming a loving mother.
  • Purple ... flaca BN-0 2012/03/08 22:45:37
    Purple Pinto ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Agreed.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/03/08 20:42:38
    SK-pro impeachment
    Totally wrong and uncalled for. Finally, something the ACLU can be useful for in this situation.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/03/08 20:18:18
  • Herb 2012/03/08 20:05:42
    Herb
    as much as i like shaming for criminals this was wrong but i think the school kids would have found out in months. gossip is like a fire, wow pregnant at 15 her life is over.
  • Your friendly neighborhood ... 2012/03/08 19:58:19
    Your friendly neighborhood stalker
    That's really mean...
  • Ron 2012/03/08 19:57:25
    Ron
    Just an extension of what the right is trying to do to all females, shame them into submission and silence.
  • SK-pro ... Ron 2012/03/08 20:41:46
  • Mr Wayne 2012/03/08 19:50:48
    Mr Wayne
    I'm sure it would have become apparent sooner or later.
  • Dan ☮ R... Mr Wayne 2012/03/08 20:04:32
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    I dont think that's the problem. Making an example of her by forcing her to announce it to the school was.
  • Mr Wayne Dan ☮ R... 2012/03/08 20:05:32
    Mr Wayne
    Meh, that's what private school gets you. Public school they would have responded with, "So what?"
  • Dan ☮ R... Mr Wayne 2012/03/08 22:46:23 (edited)
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    I dont see how stereotypes of types of schools or being "private" makes this situation any better.
  • Mr Wayne Dan ☮ R... 2012/03/09 00:13:21
    Mr Wayne
    I don't see how a knocked up 8th grader is any of my concern.

2014/10/31 07:27:24