President Obama or Mitt Romney? What do you like most about your candidate?

Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate! 2012/05/23 10:49:25
President Obama because ...
Mitt Romney because ...
I am really interested in why you want your candidate to be President of the United States. Please explain what you particularly like about either President Obama or Mitt Romney. Negative comments about opposing candidates or comments about alternate party candidates are not part of this poll and neither is undecided. Only respond if you support one of the two major party candidates for President and please tell us what you like about him..

• Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate! 2012/05/23 10:54:44
    President Obama because ...
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +3
    President Obama

President Obama because I appreciate his leadership in handling the economic crisis, his handling of our foreign policy, his dignified and intelligent handling of his duties as President in these last three years. I would like very much to see what he will be able to accomplish in his second term.

• LORI (a new era) 2012/08/13 22:14:40
    President Obama because ...
    LORI (a new era)
    I think President Obama needs to finish the job and Mitt Romney has no experience especially on foreign policy and I don't want Social security and especially Medicare to be touched and if Mitt Romney gets in well those programs will be gone as we know it. Republicans only care about their rich buddies and not the middle class working Americans who have had all the tax burdens on them for years.
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/05/23 15:03:13
    Mitt Romney because ...
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +1
    He is not Obama !!!! OMG Obama Must Go !!!! ABO Any one but Obama !!!!! Because Obama Policies were spending money and no good results only bigger debt that our great grandchildren will have to pay !!!! Ithink Romney will be more likely to hold the budget not grow it like Obama!!! I believe Romney will be a leader ! Will not be a divider will not redistubute other people's money.Not a class warfare all being equal under the law !!!! Less radical He is ALL AMERICAN Guy !!!! Romney Will obey the Constitution !
  • Tricia ... Diane S... 2012/05/24 09:49:35 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Not that an ABO is interested in facts, but Romney is no more all American than President Obama is. I am however glad you believe he will be a leader and not a divider, but I have no idea what you would base either view on. He has however made it clear that he would continue the redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy in this country; that's what he's running on. As for your claims of Obama spending they are clearly not true. This President has rescued us from a severe depression and got the economy moving again in spite of incredible opposition to all his efforts. http://www.marketwatch.com/st... factchecked here http://www.politifact.com/

moving spite opposition efforts httpwww marketwatch comst factchecked httpwww politifact

https://www.facebook.com/phot...

The President taught Constitutional law. I can't help wondering if Romney has even read it. For that matter have you?
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 13:27:21
    David Lindner
    +1
    http://usaspending.gov/trends...

slide the bar. those numbers you posted are inflated statistics. this is an actual government website.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 17:49:12
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Nice website, but it doesn't contradict the graph I have posted or the fact check link I posted with it. The numbers are not inflated. The methodology is explained on the first link which is the article the chart comes from. The second link is the fact check article which also addresses methodology and accuracy. The third link is a different chart that supports the same truth. You can believe things that aren't true If you prefer, but they will still be untrue whether you believe them or not.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 17:51:12
    David Lindner
    it absolutely does, 100 percent. you cant escape the fact that obama has spent 6.6T dollars in 3 years compared to bush's 8T in 8 years
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 18:53:27 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Sorry, but it doesn't and you are not posting any support for your claim.

David go to the second tab (graphs) on your link above. Click the second tab at the right top corner (bar graph). Use the scroll bar by year to see the changes in total spending per year during the Bush and Obama administrations. Your chart completely supports my fact checked chart.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 19:05:55
    David Lindner
    I just did. take it or leave it. from the horses mouth.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/25 09:19:54 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    Okay David! I am not surprised that someone who prefers not to believe the truth of fact checked data when presented to you want to play yes it does/no it doesn't games instead of providing actual support for your claims. But I haven't had time for such nonsense for decades.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/25 13:34:51
    David Lindner
    are we talking about yourself here?
  • Tinker David L... 2012/05/26 12:32:55 (edited)
    Tinker
    +1
    well you just called yourself a horses-mouth or but as I see, O bama has done more for the Middle Class than the last 3 Repgs, he was left to clean up all there messes, and not only did he do that, but he killed( or shall I say put in motion to have the Iran Leader taken out) cleaning up all of the Bush's mess, but if you wanna be called a horses-but who am I to stop you?? Sharon
  • David L... Tinker 2012/05/26 13:34:48
    David Lindner
    I said lets go straight to the horses mouth. quit twisting things. it isnt working. heres a nice reality check for you:

http://blogs.reuters.com/grea...
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/27 01:46:57 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    David I don't wish to be unkind to you but you keep posting things that argue against your point of view and support mine. I think that you have trouble understanding the charts and articles. (I edited my comment above to give you instructions to read the graphs you posted so you can understand what it says.)

The Middle Class is shrinking because of GOP policies designed to transfer wealth from the working class the the wealthiest people and concentrate wealth and power in the hands of a few. As Tinker mentioned President Obama has worked diligently to reverse the damage done to our economy by the GOP and to help the middle and working class. It will take time, but if we get a Congress elected that will work for the interests of the American people instead of corporations and the wealthy it can be done.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/27 03:18:29
    David Lindner
    my link posted exactly what my point was.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/28 00:12:57
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    If it did then you support the efforts of President Obama David!
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/28 02:04:34
    David Lindner
    what? no. maybe its because where we were at. haha
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/27 02:21:25
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    The first chart in your article shows that from the period of 1947-1979, each group from the poorest to the wealthiest saw economic gain. The poorest 20% gained the most. 20-40% and the wealthiest had the least gain, but still substantial. From 40% - 80% the middle and upper middle class did almost as well as the poor. This is the era of American greatness where the middle class and opportunities for all became the way we saw ourselves.

The second chart shows that for most of the period since 1979 to 2010 the poor got much more poor which we all saw with the rapid rise in homelessness and poverty in our country. There is marginal growth for the 2nd and 3rd groups (from 20% - 60%), while the next group did better and the wealth of the top 20% soared relatively.

Your article points out that the exception was during the Clinton administration where the wealthiest continued to soar, but the poor did better and all groups prospered. (That is seen on the 3rd chart.)

The other charts show the shrinking of the middle class for those decades. The 11th chart demonstrates that the tax cuts the GOP tell us will help the middle class, has the opposite impact.

This is an excellent article. If you read and understand it you would have to abandon supporting GOP policy agendas.
  • Tricia ... Tinker 2012/05/27 01:48:04
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Tinker I am delighted to see you! I have not been on SH much for several years but very much missed some of the lovely people like you. I hope you are doing well!
  • David Lindner 2012/05/23 14:07:33
    Mitt Romney because ...
    David Lindner
    +1
    hes an economic genius
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 02:56:14
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    LOL! Thanks for making a positive comment about Romney. I don't agree with it but at least it's positive.

I think his genius is in taking money from the people who work for it and giving it to investors. Of course since the is the way wealth has been redistributed in the U.S. for decades that may be great with you, but it's no way to run a country IMO.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 04:34:12
    David Lindner
    he's added a good many jobs. politifact his bain record. I call that genius.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 09:06:41
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    I just did! http://www.politifact.com/tru...

The conclusion is that there is insufficient support for Romneys claims of 100,000 jobs created which somehow counts jobs well into the future of those companies beyond 1999 when Romney left his position. The reason they can't be more specific is because Bain will not cooperate with the data necessary to support Romney's claim as well as the fact that Bain wasn't interested in job loss or creation, but with profit. You can read the article at the above link and if there is another I missed please post a link to it.

You might also want to look at some of the other Politifact findings on it's front page: http://www.politifact.com/
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 13:21:00 (edited)
    David Lindner
    keep reading that article. second off, look up the white house dossier for their spending. its on their website. you can find how obama added ABOUT as much as bush did in 8 years, but in 3. he added roughly 6.6T dollars. thats what bush did. the source that politifact used, was a wallstreet journal source. heavy liberal bias.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 18:05:08
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    I read the entire article and it did not say that at all. Please quote from the article where you think that it supports his jobs claims. You can continue to believe things that are not true if your like, but calling the Wall Street Journal liberal is beyond silly since it is owned by the owner of FOX 'news'. It has a bias, but it certainly isn't a liberal one. And that article uses several sources. Please post links to the information you believe is true so that it can be discussed reasonably.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 18:17:19
    David Lindner
    Romney’s campaign provided current employment numbers for some of Bain’s greatest success stories: Staples has 89,000 workers, the Sports Authority 15,000 and Domino’s 7,900. Based on that information, we know the private-equity firm did indeed create jobs during Romney’s tenure by providing seed capital and advice to these start-ups. But that list does not include the leveraged buyouts. By itself, it’s not enough to prove a net-net gain in employment numbers. For that, we need to compare the number of people laid off with the number of people hired, which requires old jobs figures for all the companies Bain purchased under Romney. Neither Bain nor the Romney campaign gave us that information when we asked for it. Bain also declined to answer with a yes or no whether its companies created more jobs than it eliminated during Romney’s tenure.

further more, if you go on bain capitals site, they provide a detailed list of every company that has been invested in:

http://www.baincapitalventure...

if you go on those companies sites, they provide information on how many job were created.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/24 19:14:35
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Counting the jobs to date at those companies as jobs Romney created while working at Bain is just silly, and yes there would need to be a accurate accounting of all companies Bain worked with during Romney's tenure would be necessary and it appears from the fact check article that it has not been done.

And the President's record of job creation makes this discussion just silly!

http://www.barackobama.com/jo...
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/24 19:58:45
    David Lindner
    bain capital has links to each individual company they have financed, and barack obama's job creation isnt that great. sorry. its rather poor in contrast to history. on top of that, the economy is stagnant and stalled at 1.8 GDP, the government is about to go bankrupt. america faces a third credit downgrade, and obama wants to spend over 50 percent of the budget in entitlements that arent necessary
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/25 09:27:50
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    Do you understand how many times under Bush the government went bankrupt and Congress jumped in and raised the limit? Your comments might make sense to FOX folks, but not to people who pay attention and remember. The credit downgrade was and if it happens again will be on the GOP in Congress who do not care how much they harm our country as long as they can continue convincing silly people that what they do is really all the President's fault.

As for unnecessary entitlements, most Americans do not think that Social Security, Medicare etc. are unnecessary! What is unnecessary are the military cuts that the GOP agreed upon in the deal last year and now won't pass even though the Pentagon says they should.

Whatever the job create/destroy record is for Romney at Bain,it certainly does not compare to the jobs created by this President. And if you listen to Romneys platform instead of his rhetoric you would know that job destroying is on his agenda not job creation.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/25 13:36:47
    David Lindner
    Im not a bush fan. sorry. like i pointed out, go to bain capitals website, they will give you links to all the companies they hire, and you can go on their site and find out how many jobs were created.

PS quit generalizing and categorizing people. just because I support mitt romney, doesnt mean i supported GW, or im a republican. thats no different than stereotyping.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/27 03:21:06 (edited)
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +2
    I'm sorry if I unfairly stereotyped you David. I do hate that too. People do it to me all the time on here, calling me a socialist or baby killer or all sorts of other mean things because I am a Democrat. I don't want to do that to you or anyone else.

However I would ask you to forgive me based on Mitt Romney choosing to use such a large number of advisers from the Bush administration. You may support Mitt Romney and not Bush, but Mitt Romney will continue the agenda of Bush that crashed our economy as surely as the sun rises in the morning. So while I recognize you don't like Bush and that you like Romney for specific reasons, you should consider the consequence of a future based on the policies Bush and Romney share.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/27 03:21:57
    David Lindner
    +1
    I dont think he would implement bush's agenda, and its ok.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/27 03:37:35
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    That's okay, but if you didn't like what Bush did you should check into how many of Bush's advisers Romney is hiring.
  • David L... Tricia ... 2012/05/27 03:42:15
    David Lindner
    I already know how many he is. the policies are in the hands of the decider. I think that mitt romney being the decider has the common sense that bush lacked.
  • Tricia ... David L... 2012/05/27 05:28:21
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Then we should agree to disagree David. I hope that things will work out as they should regardless of which view is more accurate! Have a nice evening!
  • Betty 2012/05/23 13:29:21
    Mitt Romney because ...
    Betty
    +1
    He is a latter day saint as myself! Also because i know his foundation is God and family.
  • Tricia ... Betty 2012/05/24 02:59:05
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    That's nice! You may be interested in taking a look at https://www.facebook.com/grou... page too.
  • LORI (a... Betty 2012/08/13 22:18:35
    LORI (a new era)
    +1
    He is a morman and they wrote there own book of Morman and it has nothing to do with jesus Christ. He scares me worse then bush did.
  • den 2012/05/23 13:11:14
    Mitt Romney because ...
    den
    you need a third choice on your questions- I will vote for neither because neither one is any good
  • Tricia ... den 2012/05/24 02:52:26
    Tricia ~ Hope trumps hate!
    +1
    Was there some part of the instructions you didn't understand? This poll is not for you if you do not support one of the two major party candidates.

"Please explain what you particularly like about either President Obama or Mitt Romney. Negative comments about opposing candidates or comments about alternate party candidates are not part of this poll and neither is undecided. Only respond if you support one of the two major party candidates for President and please tell us what you like about him."
  • Tinker den 2012/05/26 12:44:27
    Tinker
    +1
    wow, do we have a third party?? NOPE! OBAMA OR ROMNEY THATS ALL FOLKS EVEN THE INDEPENDENT ISN'T JUMPING IN THIS GAME SO CHOSE, OR NOT OPPS sorry capps was on , as far as any good well lets get caught up tp speed we all chose who we think will serve the greater vaule as we see it, is there any one who is not corrupt in Goverment , you woud be a fool not to but we have to pick the closest to what we belive and in my case that is Obama, he did more for the Country in 4 yers than Bush,Regan in the last 12 years, just my view folks Sharon

2014/11/24 19:31:29