Pregnant and drinking: Should it be illegal?

♠♠♠JeLLo♠♠♠ 2011/01/10 07:46:41
Related Topics: Drugs
Yes it should be illegal.
No it should stay legal.
Studies now show that drinking at anytime during pregnancy can have lifelong effects on a child. A woman who's caught smoking crack, meth or doing other harmful drugs can be imprisoned. Yet a pregnant woman can drink as much as she wants with no consequences. If a woman can legally drink up to the day she has the baby why not let her give it liquor in it's bottle once out of the womb? Should their be a no drinking for pregnant women law or not? Please comment as to why you've selected the answer you have.

• mavericky 2011/01/10 11:14:33
    No it should stay legal.
    mavericky
    +4
    Though it's an idiotic thing to do, it would be impractical and an invasion of privacy to make it illegal.

• USER DEACTIVATED 2011/02/07 19:29:06
    No it should stay legal.
    USER DEACTIVATED
    +1
    It's your own responsibility.
  • melly~thwarting Satan since... 2011/01/10 22:49:05
    No it should stay legal.
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +2
    That's a slippery slope. I don't want more laws that violate civil rights. I agree that women shouldn't drink and smoke while pregnant.
  • Philo-Publius 2011/01/10 22:28:40
    No it should stay legal.
    Philo-Publius
    +3
    We'd end up with pregnant women missing doctor appointments or just not going until close to labor (or until labor, in an emergency situation) for fear they could be turned into the police for drinking, and probably a good many of the more responsible ones at least the former - missing an appointment - for just for having a single glass of wine, or some other legitimate substance that contains a small amount of alcohol.

To enforce this, yes, you would need at minimum a system in which doctors were required to turn in their patients, and so instead of them remaining a trusted confidant to women, they'd become a person who was the object of mistrust, even among women who never drink ("Will this NyQuil/cold medicine still be in my system tomorrow morning during my appointment if I take it?" or, "OMG, I just rinsed with Listerine! Now I have to call and reschedule with Dr. Copps!") And then if they *do* get cited, what then? Would the next step be them losing their children?

So it's a terrible idea in that respect, but I would not allow it to happen because I believe very firmly that a woman owns her own body, not the state. This principle must be upheld.
  • Anna;) 2011/01/10 22:00:09
    Yes it should be illegal.
    Anna;)
    +1
    Omq it should illegal... UGH WHY WOULD THEY FRICKEN DO THAT THEY KNOW THAT THERE GONNA KILL THE BABY, WHAT THE FREAK
  • Ninja 57345 2011/01/10 21:51:38
    Yes it should be illegal.
    Ninja 57345
    +1
    because it numbs the baby's mind, when it does that, the baby is unable to think, and it either might stop breathing, or it may cause birth defects.
  • Sgt Major B 2011/01/10 13:48:42
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    Most folks who worry about how others live their lives would do well to concern themselves more with how they live their own. Alcohol is legal. Two things that will never be successfully legislated are common sense and morality.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
    --Daniel Webster
  • DFM302 Sgt Maj... 2011/01/10 15:40:44
    DFM302
    +1
    Would you think differently if the child was 1 year old?
  • Sgt Maj... DFM302 2011/01/10 15:48:01
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    Alcohol's still legal. Adults are allowed to drink, period. It's the individual's responsibilty to manage their own life.
  • DFM302 Sgt Maj... 2011/01/10 16:35:02
    DFM302
    +1
    Not until 21. You do know someone can get pregnant before age 21?

The issue comes in when the alcohol the adult can legally consume creates long term problems with the baby. While the adult can manage their own life, it isn't only their life they are affecting. Studies have shown that females drinking while pregnant can have children with physical and mental deficiencies. It's not just the mother.
  • Sgt Maj... DFM302 2011/01/10 18:52:16
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    21 is an arbitrary age - I can remember when many states allowed 18 year-olds to drink. I'm also well aware of the fact that pregnancy can occur at an even earlier age. My wife and I were both 19 when our first son was born. I was also 19 when I wore three stripes and carried an M-16 on the first of three tours to Vietnam.

Adults are responsibile for their own actions and the consequences of those actions. Until someone appoints you the moral arbiter of the Universe, it's none of your business.
  • DFM302 Sgt Maj... 2011/01/10 23:09:10
    DFM302
    +1
    But 21 is the LEGAL age.

Having been in the military, you should understand what it means to obey the laws whether you like them or not.

Until those children with mental and physical problems live in an isolated bubble and no other adults has to deal with the result of those problems, it is anyone and everyones business. How many prisoners in the jails were born to mothers who drank or did drugs during their pregnancy. As a former educator, I dealt with children whose mothers were crack heads when they were pregnant. Since I had no choice as to whether I had to deal with them or not, it became my business.
  • Sgt Maj... DFM302 2011/01/11 00:51:10
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    Nobody's arguing the fact that the age is 21. That particular age is, however, arbitrary and has no bearing on individual maturity or ability.

Sorry you felt challenged with the children of crackheads - but that's not alcohol; neither is it legal. Research and find a study that answers your concerns about prisoners whose mothers did drugs or drank. Don't pose an unanswered question and then try to frame it as support for your argument. I dealt with many of those same youth and countless others with the myriad problems of our diverse society for 26+ years in the Army. No, they weren't all volunteers.

Yes, I understand the concept of obeying the law and when someone over the legal age chooses to drink, that's both their right and their prerogative. I reiterate, it's none of your flippin' business - worry about running your own life.
  • DFM302 Sgt Maj... 2011/01/11 00:57:05
    DFM302
    +1
    When things other people do affect me, it is my damn business. People don't live in isolated worlds.

Do you deny that people have to deal with the children of those who drank when they were pregnant and the kids now have mental and physical problems? If you don't, then what those adults did, and they were adults in age alone and not in common sense, affects other people not just them. If you do, I'm glad your dumbass is out of the military. We don't need idiots defending this country.
  • Sgt Maj... DFM302 2011/01/11 01:05:51 (edited)
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    At least I served. I didn't bellyache when faced with a challenge - I met it head on and gave each of my charges the best I could. I even defended it for the goose-stepping fascists like you that think you have the right to dictate the laws that govern others' lives. I also served for the stupid and undeserving. You're welcome, 'Benito'.
  • "TEX"-"OFT"-"ROOC"~POTL~PWC... 2011/01/10 13:33:34
    Yes it should be illegal.
    "TEX"-"OFT"-"ROOC"~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The way i see it it's all about personal responsibility. You must be held accountable for your actions.
  • Daniel 2011/01/10 11:38:14
    Yes it should be illegal.
    Daniel
    +1
    However women have been given free choice and can kill their children if they so desire.
  • mavericky 2011/01/10 11:14:33
    No it should stay legal.
    mavericky
    +4
  • merrrfa 2011/01/10 10:26:20
    Yes it should be illegal.
    merrrfa
    +2
    definately, its basically abusing the child.
  • LilMissManners 2011/01/10 08:01:06 (edited)
    Yes it should be illegal.
    LilMissManners
    +3
    As well as smoking!!! I don't understand why it isn't!! It's insane that people get to be so damn irresponsible with their babies! Of course, we do live in a country in which it is legal to abort.... *sigh*

2014/12/22 22:43:57