PORTLAND PRINCIPAL CLAIMS PB&J SANDWICHES COULD HOLD RACIST CONNOTATIONS!

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/12 05:59:45
No,PB & J sandwiches are not racist because....
Yes,PB & J sandwiches are racist because....
Other Thoughts!

Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist?? A bizarre question, to say the least, but one that at least one school administrator is asking out in Portland, Oregon. Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, seems to believe that there are racial connotations associated with the common lunch-time meal.

According to Gutierrez, using the example of a peanut butter sandwich in classroom lessons is technically a problematic and discriminatory move — one that was made by a teacher in her building last school year. While such a notion may bring out laughs among those who find it absurd, the principal explains her logic.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Somehow, by mentioning a food that the majority culture regularly eats without also discussing other meal options, the teacher was purportedly violating discrimination standards. So, to combat any additional PB&J-related; offenses, the principal is treading carefully. And she’s not alone.

Verenice Gutierrez Claims PB&J Could Hold Racist Connotations | Portland

Photo Credit: AP

Portland Public Schools is in the process of integrating “Courageous Conversations,” an equity training that has been coming in phases over the past few years. The Portland Tribune explains

the district’s intentions, in detail:

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.

Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the “white privilege” it conveys.

The demographics that are present in the district have apparently led leaders to tackle this purported “white privilege” issue head-on. Currently, 50 percent of students at Scott K-8 are Hispanic, 15 percent are black and nine percent are Asian.

Naturally, there’s some controversy, especially considering the subject at hand. One parent, in particular, as the Tribune notes, has railed against a lunch-time drum class for black and Hispanic boys at the school (the parent believes it discriminates against women, girls, Asians, whites and Native Americans).

Gutierrez, though, claims children weren’t turned away and denies that offering a minority-specific class amounts to discrimination.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?,” she said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

Photo Credit: Getty

The Tribune has more

about the principal and the district‘s program that she’s seeking to utilize in the school:

Like many if not all of PPS’ leaders, Gutierrez has gone through California-based consultant Glenn Singleton’s “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a weeklong seminar on race and how it affects life; she’s also become an “affiliate,” certified to teach the equity curriculum; and she serves on the district’s administrative committee to address systematic racism, a group that meets every other week.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” Guitierrez’ letter to staff reads.

Read more about this story over at The Portland Tribune

.

From: The Blaze.com
By: Billy Hollowell

Read More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/white-privilege-po...

• mich52 Runaway ✩ 2012/09/13 01:15:14
  • Chibi Guru Z 2012/09/12 13:54:13
    Chibi Guru Z
    +8
    I was once accosted by a virulently racist sandwich. The incident haunts me to this day.
  • Chi~Cat Chibi G... 2012/09/12 14:43:03
  • Pedalpu... Chibi G... 2012/09/12 15:52:06
    Pedalpusher
    +3
    Well I've got my chuckle for the day, I can now go face this really strange world! LOL
  • Chibi G... Pedalpu... 2012/09/12 18:37:25
    Chibi Guru Z
    Just keeps getting stranger...
  • susan 2012/09/12 13:39:20
    Other Thoughts!
    susan
    +1
    Wow! a school district that still serves peanut butter?
  • MsTlynne susan 2012/09/12 14:19:57
    MsTlynne
    +1
    That's what I though at first, but they are talking about using the sandwhich as an example in test questions.
    Who would have thought PB&J could be deadly (allergies). How did our generation survive? Actually, I did know a lady about my age who had a reaction to peanuts she ate at a party and died from it. That's scary.
  • Pedalpu... MsTlynne 2012/09/12 15:55:14
    Pedalpusher
    +3
    Yes some people do have a very bad allergic reaction to peanuts in any form! I could never imagine that, as I love peanuts in my chocolates. Love those little M & M peanut guys! LOL
  • Stevern... susan 2012/09/12 15:20:19
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I'm guessing that the 'racist' peanut & jelly sandwiches are not part of the school cafeteria's menu.But are being brought in a 'brown bag' lunches,by kids from home!
  • jakep51 2012/09/12 13:34:56
    Other Thoughts!
    jakep51
    +5
    This Principal needs to A.) Get a life, and B.) Get a new job. She has no business being a principal at any school. But she is a useful government idiot right?
  • Semper Fi 2012/09/12 13:23:01
    Other Thoughts!
    Semper Fi
    +3
    I lived on PB&J; sandwiches when I was a kid. Then I transitioned to PB&J; with crackers.

c rations peanut butter jelly
  • Seonag 2012/09/12 13:18:51
    Seonag
    +4
    Good grief! They really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel (or jar maybe) here to even suggest a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is racist. Actually, it's multicultural --- the 'sandwich' was first made in Britain; jelly has been made since man first searched for a way to preserve fruit; and peanuts (a native plant of the American Continent tropics) were probably first made into a paste by the Aztecs. It's not racist!
  • Turings... Seonag 2012/09/12 15:11:26
    TuringsChild
    +4
    Peanut butter was invented by George Washington Carver -- a BLACK man.
  • Runaway ✩ Turings... 2012/09/12 16:38:49
    Runaway ✩
    Uhhhhhmmmmm - are you sure about that? Really, really sure? I know that Mr. Carver invented plastics, from peanuts. I was already aware that Mr. Carver was a black guy. But - invented peanut butter? Since the Inca Indians made paste from their peanuts, I really think they should get credit for the invention. Maybe you wouldn't like their paste as much as you like today's peanutty stuff with chemical additives - but then, they might not like YOUR peanut butter either.
  • Turings... Runaway ✩ 2012/09/12 17:54:43
    TuringsChild
    I'll take your word for it. I didn't look anything up here, depending purely on an old memory.
  • Seonag Turings... 2012/09/12 19:25:02
    Seonag
    +1
    Actually, the people of Central America and South America were making a paste out of peanuts long before Europeans or Africans arrived in the "New World." George Washington Carver did not invent peanut butter, BUT he promoted it and 299 other uses of peanuts. I recall reading a children's book about George Washington Carver inventing peanut butter back in the 1950s. It was in the same series on famous people It was in the same series that portrayed George Armstrong Custer as the Great Indian Fighter who was trapped by the Evil Indians. Try this link: http://inventors.about.com/li...
  • Wahvlvke 2012/09/12 13:08:33
    Other Thoughts!
    Wahvlvke
    +5
    It appears that Portland is trying to match San Fransissy on the stupid scale.
  • Willy 2012/09/12 13:04:28 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Willy
    +6
    What is really bad about this is that we have morons like this in charge of the majority of our schools. There needs to be a massive firing of school officials all across the nation.

If they don't want to be Americans, tell them to go back where they came from. Why did they come here in the first place? I'm not trying to change their country, so don't try to change mine. Assimilate or get the F@#K out.
  • Plantgypc 2012/09/12 12:51:48 (edited)
    Plantgypc
    +1
    If we live in Mexico that would use tortias in class. Should all countries not use anytime, so as to not offend anyone? Boy what a bunch of dumb kids the worlds would have.

No more southerners need eat Boston Baked Beans, or Yankee Pot Roast. Northeners need not eat Grits, collards or black eyed peas.
  • mark 1 2012/09/12 12:49:44 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    mark 1
    Nothing to say.
  • LarryFine 2012/09/12 12:32:03
    LarryFine
    +4
    ...just because a stupid, liberal education NAZI has another 7.0 brain fart.
  • William Major 2012/09/12 12:11:05
  • MrsB 2012/09/12 12:04:12
    MrsB
    +5
    That Portland principal is an idiot, that's why.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/09/12 12:02:46
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +5
    Grow up and stop looking for problems that are not there.
  • Mark P. 2012/09/12 11:38:20
    Mark P.
    +3
    That person is a real stupid ass.
  • Eddie 2012/09/12 11:27:10
    Eddie
    +4
    This is absurd in the extreeme. In the first place, peanut butter was invented by a black man. So to say that PB&J; sandwiches are supportive of this "white priviledge" concept is idiotic. In the second place, the tactics and exercises of people like this Verenice Gutierrez that actually supports and promotes the continued racial divisions plauging our social and educational institutions in this country.
    Furthermore to establish any public school class or organization that by its establishment and organization set a precedent for exclusion based on race, religion, gender or cultural ethnicity simply promotes more of the very same racism these groups claim to be fighting against. All encompasing inclusion is the only way to combat racism and ignorance. As a person of truly American mixed racial and cultural heritage, it is my opinion that this Verenice Gutierez is in fact not in any way part of the solution but rather is part of the problem and is in fact promoting racism and exclusion in this school system.
    We need our public education systems to teach mathmatics, literature, sciences and in as much as they are able, to instill an appreciation and familiarity with the arts and physical fitness. Larger social perrogatives such as this are fine at a higher education university o...
    We need our public education systems to teach mathmatics, literature, sciences and in as much as they are able, to instill an appreciation and familiarity with the arts and physical fitness. Larger social perrogatives such as this are fine at a higher education university or college level but have no place in our already overburdened public school systems. Lets just try and get these kids proficiently educated in the standard subjects and prepared for higher learning wherever possible.Introducing this kind of contention at this level only serves to further complicate an already difficult mission and has no place in institutions such as our public schools and tax payer funds should not be wasted in such divisive pursuits.
  • Eddie Eddie 2012/09/12 11:30:00
    Eddie
    +5
    I suppose the next thing I'll hear is that wearing clothing made from cotton is racist!
  • Patric Eddie 2012/09/12 12:34:07
    Patric
    +4
    oh dear Eddie,

that cotton picking cloth is soooo racist , it is a given ,, :)
  • Eddie Patric 2012/09/12 12:50:20
    Eddie
    +3
    I wonder if my farm laborer grandparents and great grandparents knew they were promoting racism when they were out there chopping and picking cotton in the hot southern sun for all those years?
  • Patric Eddie 2012/09/12 13:00:09
    Patric
    +3
    oh , gosh, yes,,
    and it is racist to deny that they were racist..
    it is a never ending circle jerk with this....
  • Eddie Patric 2012/09/12 20:48:05
    Eddie
    +2
    I suppose my great great grandfather was racist for marrying my half black great great grandmother and my great grandfather was one too for marrying an indian then. How will I ever live with the shame? ;-)
  • Patric Eddie 2012/09/13 10:19:32
    Patric
    +1
    well , to some groups of people, no matter what you or I do,

we are destined to be singled out as racist..

it has gotten so old , for me, that the race mongers, the hate groups that come storming into the action are more cartoon people than some one to take serious...
  • Eddie Patric 2012/09/13 21:20:39
    Eddie
    +2
    I agree. Some of them are just too rediculous to take seriously. I just wish theyd stop devoting air time to them. Then maybe they'd just loose momentum and fade out. It seems a mystery to me that they can't figure out that these guys are actually keeping the crap that they are supposed to be fighting against, going.
  • Willy Eddie 2012/09/12 13:11:16
    Willy
    +2
    How about watermelon and fried chicken, am I supposed to quit eating that?
  • hasher 2012/09/12 11:19:57
    hasher
    +3
    this is what we eat here in the us. im sure the other kids who never had pband j sandwiches find them pretty darn good. this is the most ridiculous question ive ever heard leave it to the libs to find something wrong with peanut butter!!!
  • Sgt Major B 2012/09/12 11:06:01
    Other Thoughts!
    Sgt Major B
    +5
    Shove a taco in her ear, tell her to STFU and sit her in a corner with a dunce cap!

Welcome to the USA - If life was so grand wherever you and your ancestors came from, feel perfectly free to move back there yesterday. You supposedly came here to be an American - ACT LIKE ONE and leave the damned barrio behind. If you can't handle that, get the Hell out!
  • Donna 2012/09/12 10:34:58
    Other Thoughts!
    Donna
    +6
    Why dont we just totally skip the fact that we are Americans & we eat PB&J; sandwiches ? If people from other countries have a problem with our ways then perhaps they should 'nt live here ? We cant possibly cater to all the peoples of all the countries. They live HERE now .. in AMERICA.

As far as 'white privilege' goes, there isnt any. I wish these people would just get up off their butts & help themselves instead of finding reasons to sit around playing the victim.
  • betz 2012/09/12 10:10:55
    Other Thoughts!
    betz
    +6
    So much is out of control in this nation. I am getting sick and tired of all of it.
    Maybe this menu will keep everybody happy:
    Monday: chop suey
    Tuesday: grilled cheese with apple pie
    Wednesday: Tacos with beans
    Thursday: Black eyed peas and greens
    Friday: Cooks choice which will appeal to all ethnicities.
    Phew...now we're all happy.
  • susan betz 2012/09/12 13:44:29
    susan
    +4
    Not likely, Each group will then complain that all those choices must be available EVERY DAY. Meaning that the uneaten selections will be tossed after lunch.
  • betz susan 2012/09/12 14:27:27
    betz
    +4
    it was done tongue in cheek susan. Nothing is going to make them happy.

2014/09/23 23:20:28