PORTLAND PRINCIPAL CLAIMS PB&J SANDWICHES COULD HOLD RACIST CONNOTATIONS!

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/12 05:59:45
No,PB & J sandwiches are not racist because....
Yes,PB & J sandwiches are racist because....
Other Thoughts!

Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist?? A bizarre question, to say the least, but one that at least one school administrator is asking out in Portland, Oregon. Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, seems to believe that there are racial connotations associated with the common lunch-time meal.

According to Gutierrez, using the example of a peanut butter sandwich in classroom lessons is technically a problematic and discriminatory move — one that was made by a teacher in her building last school year. While such a notion may bring out laughs among those who find it absurd, the principal explains her logic.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Somehow, by mentioning a food that the majority culture regularly eats without also discussing other meal options, the teacher was purportedly violating discrimination standards. So, to combat any additional PB&J-related; offenses, the principal is treading carefully. And she’s not alone.

Verenice Gutierrez Claims PB&J Could Hold Racist Connotations | Portland

Photo Credit: AP

Portland Public Schools is in the process of integrating “Courageous Conversations,” an equity training that has been coming in phases over the past few years. The Portland Tribune explains

the district’s intentions, in detail:

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.

Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the “white privilege” it conveys.

The demographics that are present in the district have apparently led leaders to tackle this purported “white privilege” issue head-on. Currently, 50 percent of students at Scott K-8 are Hispanic, 15 percent are black and nine percent are Asian.

Naturally, there’s some controversy, especially considering the subject at hand. One parent, in particular, as the Tribune notes, has railed against a lunch-time drum class for black and Hispanic boys at the school (the parent believes it discriminates against women, girls, Asians, whites and Native Americans).

Gutierrez, though, claims children weren’t turned away and denies that offering a minority-specific class amounts to discrimination.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?,” she said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

Photo Credit: Getty

The Tribune has more

about the principal and the district‘s program that she’s seeking to utilize in the school:

Like many if not all of PPS’ leaders, Gutierrez has gone through California-based consultant Glenn Singleton’s “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a weeklong seminar on race and how it affects life; she’s also become an “affiliate,” certified to teach the equity curriculum; and she serves on the district’s administrative committee to address systematic racism, a group that meets every other week.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” Guitierrez’ letter to staff reads.

Read more about this story over at The Portland Tribune

.

From: The Blaze.com
By: Billy Hollowell

Read More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/white-privilege-po...

• Ron in ... BoredCo... 2012/09/12 22:17:15
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    They have a whole bunch of charging stations on I-5 heading to California, if only they would use them.
  • BoredCo... Ron in ... 2012/09/12 22:39:47
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    They need to plug it into their heads to get those synapses firing again.

On a side note: isn't this a nice peaceful thread? Not a libtard in sight. :)
  • Ron in ... BoredCo... 2012/09/12 22:22:03
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    I watched a little of the first episode since it was hyped up that it was going to be great.
    The new game in Portland is how many bicyclists can run over who are running red lights and stop signs. 80%
  • BoredCo... Ron in ... 2012/09/12 22:45:22
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +2
    Dumbasses. Don't get me started on those fools.
    Those people must have a death wish.

stupid cyclist

stupid cyclist
  • Ron in ... BoredCo... 2012/09/13 21:49:22
    Ron in Oregon
    +2
    We now have special lanes and you are not allowed to make a right turn from a green right turn lane.
    And by the way they are getting ready to build high rise apartment buildings with no parking in Portland.
  • BoredCo... Ron in ... 2012/09/13 22:10:28
  • Ron in ... BoredCo... 2012/09/14 20:38:19
    Ron in Oregon
    +2
    No, I am not.
    They are pushing mass transit and bicycles.
    Also the proposed CRC Columbia River Crossing bridge to Vancouver, Washington must have bicycle lanes and mass transit capabilities and oh yes no more traffic lanes than the current bridge.
    Also 5 feet too low for construction companies who build oil drilling equipment for Alaska.
  • BoredCo... Ron in ... 2012/09/14 20:55:45
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +1
    The bike thing is an effin' mess! We have a similar bike project going on over here. It's ridiculous!
    We just spent I don't how many millions in lightrail and 50 rides a day is average usage. I think it finally crept up to about 150, but most of the ridership is 2 way so that is still only 75 people! Now they want another rail system! The transit authority was considering having a "free" happy hour on the rails to build up ridership! lol! Our homeless population would LOVE that!
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/09/12 17:28:57
    Other Thoughts!
    Ron in Oregon
    +2
    Now if it were white bread and Nutella, would it be black on the inside and white on the outside. AKA Oreo in reverse.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/09/12 17:24:43
    Other Thoughts!
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +3
    WTF!! wonder how he twisted that, how the hell can peanut butter and jelly be racist. Good grief, don't we have enough problems without these lunatic liberals trying to create new ones.
  • Car Chick 2012/09/12 17:22:42
    Other Thoughts!
    Car Chick
    +2
    This is one of the stupidest things I have read lately regarding education.
  • MR. 2012/09/12 17:20:56 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    MR.
    +2
    I WILL BE SURE TO PACK *(PP J) SANDWICHES IN THE KIDS LUNCHES NOW! WE TEACH ALL OUR CHILDREN TO BE PROUD OF AMERICA AND WHO WE ARE! *(PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ON WHITE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) -"The revolution has begun,... milk please!"-
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/09/12 17:11:48
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +6
    I've traveled all over the world and have eaten everything from grasshoppers to haggis. None of it has killed me and some of it was actually pretty good. Anyone who goes to a foreign country and insists on eating only the familiar is missing out on an experience.

So I would say the same goes for immigrants. If you want Somalian or Mexican foods, go to Somalia or Mexico. This is America and we have not only our own cultural dishes but we also serve Italian, German, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Chinese etc foods.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS A DISEASE THAT IS THREATENING THE HEALTH, WELFARE AND SAFETY OF CITIZENS ALL OVER THE WORLD.......STOP THE INSANITY!!!!
  • Barbara Hasler 2012/09/12 17:03:54
    Barbara Hasler
    +7
    Living near Portland, with its crummy schools I can understand why this is an issue and not the education system which has over a 1/3 drop out rate. There is usually a whacky edict coming down from some ridiculous source on a regular basis! To deny a child the wonder and comfort of a PBJ sandwich is criminal. I have eaten them for as long as I can remember. Not because there was no food in the house, but because I truly love them. I have at least one a week to this day. When I was in college and saw that the strange food being offered appeared questionable as to its origin, I called for the the peanut butter and jelly!
  • Ron Hanforth 2012/09/12 17:02:16
    Ron Hanforth
    +7
    Let this idiot principal know what you think. Contact her!

Scott school phone number: (503) 916-6369
    Verenice Gutierrez’s email: vgutierr@pps.net

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/scho...

I am half latin and I can tell you from first hand experience That I was grateful for a nutritious meal provided by my school, and I looked forward to PB & J as it was something different and delicious. The bottom line is that this is the United States of America and for the time being, ultra leftists with their agenda of tearing everything down about this country must be held back like a zombie horde.
  • Barbara... Ron Han... 2012/09/12 17:10:27
    Barbara Hasler
    +5
    This is par for the course in Portland. I live near the city. The residents thrive on being weird so you now get the picture! I go to Portland or pass through it to get to the Trail Blazer basket ball games or go to the theater. It is not a place for anyone who is relatively sane. If the principal is so concerned, she ought to check out what the lunch program is offering. Better still check out the lack of education her school is probably producting. If eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is racist, mea culpa!
  • Ron Han... Barbara... 2012/09/12 17:18:43
    Ron Hanforth
    +2
    Whenever I am in town I go to Bunks for sandwiches, ever go there? Then I go to Jake's Famous Crawfish for Dinner. I guess I am racist because I eat Crawfish which is obviously a white man's way of lowering himself to southern black cuisine and I should be ashamed of myself..
  • Barbara... Ron Han... 2012/09/12 19:25:35
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    I go to Jake's once in a great while. Now I will have to look up Bunks as I have never heard of it! You probably have spent more time in Portland lately than I have. You are a brve man! LOL
  • Ron Han... Barbara... 2012/09/13 01:46:32
    Ron Hanforth
    +1
    just business trips..twice a year.
  • Barbara... Ron Han... 2012/09/13 01:54:52
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    Ron, even twice a year is more than I venture forth to Weirdville!
  • betz Ron Han... 2012/09/12 18:57:53
    betz
    +5
    I already called. I called the school, the superintendent's office and the Board of education. Each one of them had a recording telling me they couldn't take my call. I did leave a message telling them I was stunned by this principal's words.
    The super's number is 503.916.3200
    The Brd of Ed's number is 503.916.3741
  • Ron Han... betz 2012/09/12 19:00:01
    Ron Hanforth
    +3
    you are awesome . thanks for posting this.
  • betz Ron Han... 2012/09/12 19:08:36
    betz
    +3
    I just had to let my voice be heard. I'm thinking they are not taking calls. Probably inundated with them would be my guess. It'll be interesting to follow this story in the days to come to see where it all goes. If my child went to Scott elementary he/she would difinitely be packing a PB and J tomorrow and every day for the rest of the year.
    This woman is ONE BIG NUT CASE.
  • Lanikai Ron Han... 2012/09/12 20:31:31
    Bravo. Good answer.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/09/12 17:01:55
    Other Thoughts!
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    The height of ridiculousness! I don't know whether to laugh or cry! It's just food for goodness sake. Functional, affordable, traditional, so of course some busybody somewhere is going to be compelled to ruin it for everybody else. Has there been any student of any race scarred for having had a PB&J; sandwich, or any other sandwich for that matter? I suppose I almost was when my mother packed me a cow's tongue sandwich, but fortunately I was able to find somebody to trade with. I was more emotionally scarred when I observed that the school lunch always included spinach after the playground was mowed in the morning. ;)
  • Jean 2012/09/12 16:50:54
    Other Thoughts!
    Jean
    +3
    This principal is the reason no one should send their kids to a government school. Her allegation that PB & J sandwiches are "racist" are based on her premise that other ethnicities - the Hispanic, primarily - don't eat sandwiches. No one is stopping them, however. In the same article, it states that her school offers drum classes ONLY to black and Hispanic children, but she doesn't think that excluding white kids from these classes is racist at all. So here is her logic - mentioning a food that many white people eat is racist, but discriminating against white kids isn't. And to think this woman graduated from some college ........ talk about a raging case of grade inflation and social promotion!
  • Cliff 2012/09/12 16:39:14
    Other Thoughts!
    Cliff
    +2
    What about BLT sandwiches?
  • Rusty S... Cliff 2012/09/12 19:07:23
    Rusty Shackleford
    +2
    They're anti-Semitic.
  • Cliff Rusty S... 2012/09/12 22:43:07
    Cliff
    Or anti Muslim.
  • Broddy 2012/09/12 16:36:09 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    Broddy
    +5
    I had some watermellon last week because i wanted to get in touch with my ethnic side ..................

Or maybe i just like watermelon ....

People are stupid and as i am told....

You can't fix Stupid.
  • Barbara... Broddy 2012/09/12 17:11:36
    Barbara Hasler
    +4
    Yes, Brody, they are! I live near Portland and have witnessed it myself!
  • Biki~pw... Barbara... 2012/09/12 19:31:52
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +2
    Get out while you still can Barbara.
  • Barbara... Biki~pw... 2012/09/12 19:38:26
    Barbara Hasler
    +2
    Biki, It serves as my comedy relief! Did you know that in Portland if a bicyclist hits your car it is your fault?? That you can walk down the street naked as long as it is not done in a licivious manner? LOL! You can't make up this stuff! I am 12 miles away so I rarely go to Portland!
  • Biki~pw... Barbara... 2012/09/12 20:00:06
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    oh, 12 miles...then you may be okay from the insanity infested city. hahahahaha! Just so long as it doesn't start to rub off on you. =-}
  • Barbara... Biki~pw... 2012/09/12 20:39:05
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    LOL, no danger of that!
    Other Thoughts!
    +5
    please get this KLOWN some help and get it now.
  • Barbara... jackola... 2012/09/12 17:12:59
    Barbara Hasler
    +3
    Jack, I live near Portland and they would have to replace the whole school system in order to get rid of the KLOWNS!
  • gtorborg77 2012/09/12 16:28:54
    gtorborg77
    +4
    This kind of crap is not only absurd, it's offensive. If you don't want to eat PB&J; sandwiches because your home culture doesn't eat them, then don't eat them! But do you think that anyone who is like-minded with this principal ever thinks about things like this in terms of common sense? No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o, of course not. Everything is just a knee jerk reaction to some perceived notion of oppression or discrimination that can be summed up using the 2nd and 19th letters of the alphabet.
  • Barbara... gtorborg77 2012/09/12 17:14:29
    Barbara Hasler
    +1
    I live near Portland and this is basic thought. More time is wasted on trying to uncover what might possibly be offensive instead of teaching.
  • Stevern... Barbara... 2012/09/12 18:09:24
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Hey B...

Thanks for giving some Portland area prospective on what going on in your area Public Schools.A lot of us fellow SH friends don't have schools in our area that have gone this far down the PC 'rabbit hole' .Of local school authorities being more driven to ferreting what what might be offensive instead of teaching the kids!

2014/11/22 02:56:16