Police handcuff 6-year-old after school tantrum. Right or wrong?

KoAm 2012/04/17 13:29:44
http://news.yahoo.com/police-handcuff-ga-kindergartner-tantru...

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. (AP) — Police in Georgia handcuffed a kindergartner after the girl threw a tantrum, and the police chief is making no apologies.

WMAZ-TV
(http://on.wmaz.com/I0ZrNE ) reports the 6-year-old is accused of
tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture at school in the
central Georgia city of Milledgeville. The police report says the girl
knocked over a shelf that injured the principal.

The elementary school
called police after the Friday tantrum. The report says when an officer
tried to calm the child, she resisted and was handcuffed. The girl was
charged with simple assault and damage to property.

Police Chief Dray Swicord says the department's policy is to handcuff people in certain situations, and "there is no age discrimination on that rule."

The child was suspended from school until August.

• Dee4mee 2012/04/17 14:16:07
    Right.
    Dee4mee
    +7
    Sounds like she was out of control. It was probably best to restrain her so that she didn't injure herself. Obviously there is something going on with her, hope she gets some therapy. Kudos to the cop for following procedure!

• YouSirName Lanikai 2012/04/22 23:29:17
    YouSirName
    Sounds like she was out of control. Just saying that I have never met a 6 year old that couldn't be controlled without handcuffs, and I have spent time observing in a pediatric locked psychiatric unit with some very out of control kids. Unless these were the wimpiest police on the face of the planet, it isn't difficult to move a child of this age into a room or police car where there isn't aything to break, especially with multiple adults present.
  • Lanikai YouSirName 2012/04/23 19:05:01
    When they are throwing, shoving, punching, ripping and screaming, there is not a way for school staff, who are not allowed to touch the child, to restrain them. So in this TYPE of case, handcuff the beast.
  • Dan ☮ R... YouSirName 2012/04/17 20:23:03
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Speaking of strip searches, didnt the supreme court rule that its legal to strip search anyone arrested, necessary or not?
  • Lanikai Dan ☮ R... 2012/04/18 14:49:45
  • Fred 2012/04/17 17:06:44
    Right.
    Fred
    +4
    well you cant spank her....
  • jeane Fred 2012/04/17 19:11:49
    jeane
    +1
    "He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24) and "Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell." (Proverbs 23:13-14)
  • Lanikai jeane 2012/04/18 14:51:50
    +1
    True enough, but the liberals have the law set up now in such a way that the educational system cannot touch the beasts, and the parents refuse to discipline, so the beasts end up at public schools.
  • ☆WillThompson☆ 2012/04/17 16:48:25
    Right.
    ☆WillThompson☆
    +2
    Maybe the parents should be handcuffed for not doing something to find the underlying problem of why she feels it is okay to act this way. Either the parents are truly not involved with the child other than sending the kid to school to let the system raise her or they are RWNJ (one in the same).
  • Lanikai ☆WillTh... 2012/04/17 18:36:12
    +3
    Left wingers actually have the higher incidence of out of control kids. Check the prisons-chock FULL of left winger tantrum throwers.
  • jimih67 Lanikai 2012/04/17 18:56:53
    jimih67
    +2
    Not only that, read the answers to this question. You'll find iit is mostly left-wingers that take the out-of-control kid's side against the police.
  • jimih67 ☆WillTh... 2012/04/17 18:55:44
    jimih67
    +1
    Do you think right-wingers would be crying because the school had to restrain their brat? Oh yeah, right wiingers DISCIPLINE their kids, so this wouldn't have happened if the parents were right-wingers. Dude, classic case of RIGHT ANSWER, WRONG COMMENT. Glad I read it all the way through, I was about to rave you.
  • ☆WillTh... jimih67 2012/04/18 00:14:40
    ☆WillThompson☆
    Dang-it! I meant to type LWNJ and my Phone must have auto corrected it
  • jimih67 ☆WillTh... 2012/04/18 13:29:27
    jimih67
    +2
    You should get that phone fixed. Maybe it was assembled by liiberals who planted a bug in it.
  • ☆WillTh... jimih67 2012/04/18 15:11:47
    ☆WillThompson☆
    +1
    It was an honest mistake whether I had a typo or my iPhone auto-corrected it.
    lol, kinda like your double i in liberals.
  • jimih67 ☆WillTh... 2012/04/18 16:42:18
    jimih67
    Yeah, I tend to do that a lot. This keyboard likes to type doubles. Sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't. Well, I was going to say, you would have been a rare breed if you were a liberal who wasn't crying for the kid.
  • Cal 2012/04/17 16:42:15
    Depends / not sure.
    Cal
    +3
    Look sometimes people, of all ages, are just out of control. They can't be left alone, you can't harm other people. Age isn't a factor here at all. My ambulance has restraints too....and I have no issue restraining a child going to the hospital with me if they are causing a problem. The police chief is right.
  • Lanikai Cal 2012/04/17 18:59:11
    +1
    exactly
  • ladyjane 2012/04/17 16:14:33
    Wrong.
    ladyjane
    +1
    Something happened in the classroom to cause her to be out of control. When they come forward with that, then what happened can be judged. Things have changed in the system at this point in time and things need to happen to turn it around. I think it's interesting that all the sudden children "must" be on mind altering drugs to make it through school
  • Lanikai ladyjane 2012/04/17 19:00:40
    +2
    Something as simple as being told to put away the crayons, or stop painting? Some kids are rarely ever told NO, or told to be cooperative with the order of things. Kids DO get put out of school for this all over the country. PARENTS are failing to PARENT. This is a parental issue, not a school issue. Their kid is a beast.
  • ladyjane Lanikai 2012/04/17 22:45:43
    ladyjane
    No child is a beast! How long have you lived to make that statement? You're not part of the solution you are part of the problem....
  • Lanikai ladyjane 2012/04/18 14:54:38
    I work in an industry where I am exposed to other peoples kids, nearly daily. I have had to tell parents to leave my shop because their beasts tore a bathroom sink off the wall, and pulled a very heavy wheel rack over. undisciplined kids ARE beasts. When they throw toys, push over furniture, scream and yell, run around AFTER being told by the parent to sit down, throw their food, bang on windows, and kick their parents-YES< THEY ARE BEASTS.

Some folks do not parent, so they have out of control little monsters that the rest of society has to deal with.
  • ladyjane Lanikai 2012/04/18 22:15:47
    ladyjane
    You live and work in the wrong side of town or in the wrong part of the country...
  • Lanikai ladyjane 2012/04/19 22:00:46
    No, it is the industry I work in, and the class of people I deal with.
  • beachbum 2012/04/17 16:06:42
    Right.
    beachbum
    +4
    In this particular case, I think it was the right thing to do - the child needed to be protected from herself. While sad, and definitely traumatic, hopefully some hard lesson was learned somewhere.
  • Max 2012/04/17 15:46:53
    Wrong.
    Max
    +2
    The policeman could have found a better way to handle a first grader.

Here's another one. I saw a headline on Twitter that said a policeman shot a paralyzed man. There is no excuse for either of these two examples.
  • KoAm Max 2012/04/17 15:48:54
    KoAm
    +6
    >>>The policeman could have found a better way to handle a first grader. >>>

Such as?
  • Max KoAm 2012/04/17 16:17:12
    Max
    +1
    Find somebody with an imagination to explain a better way to handle a first grader.
  • Cal Max 2012/04/17 16:44:26
    Cal
    +2
    I think you better find a lawyer to explain it to you. There's no right answer here, the police took the only avenue open to them.
  • Max Cal 2012/04/17 16:48:06
    Max
    I don't need anyone to explain anything to me. It's that police man that should have been provided with training on how to be smarter than a first grader. There shouldn't have been a need for police man in the first place.
  • Cal Max 2012/04/17 19:30:00 (edited)
    Cal
    +1
    Apparently you need the explanation. Your still speaking nonsense. I'll let you find someone with a better imagination to explain how to handle situations like this legally to you.

Everyone's a cop....until they have to do the job.....then no one's a cop. Isn't back seat police work fun? Rocket science looks easy too....but I'm not going to claim I can do it.....or know about it.......same situation, same irony.....
  • Max Cal 2012/04/17 20:05:20
    Max
    In the first place there was no need for a cop. Since he was there, he could've handled this without handcuffs. That's all.

In your two paragraphs, you judge what I need, but you need to "find someone" else, that you think can give me that. "Apparently", you have nothing . If you don't like my opinion, that's too bad for you. This site is for expressing your opinion.
  • Cal Max 2012/04/17 20:33:48
    Cal
    +1
    Your right. I have nothing. Your a know it all it. You obviously know it all. Forgive me for even trying. ugh.
  • KoAm Max 2012/04/17 16:00:51
    KoAm
    +3
    >>>I saw a headline on Twitter that said a policeman shot a paralyzed man. There is no excuse>>>

No excuse? Where you there? Don't be so quick to judge.

That "poor, innocent paralyzed man" had led police on a wild car chase, endangering the general public in the process.

Then he yelled out to the cops, "Shoot me, I have a gun," while reaching down for something in a manner that appeared he was serious about the gun.

The officers told him to put his hands up, but he refused ... and continued to reach down in a grab-a-gun motion while claiming that he had a gun.

It turned out there was no gun. However, if you tell the cops you have a gun, make gestures to that effect, and refuse to comply with their commands ... all of those things give the cops every good cause to open fire.

Sorry, I know that facts are inconvenient things. Especially for people who like to assess the world solely through their emotions.
  • Max KoAm 2012/04/17 16:15:25
    Max
    +1
    A well-trained police man is not going to shoot a "paralyzed" man regardless of what he claims and what he "appears" to be reaching for. It could have been handled without killing the paralyzed man. In this particular case, "paralyzed" in the "headline", that I read, didn't paint a picture of a man driving down the road or being able to reach for anything. Take your sanctimonious attitude down a notch. You have no idea of under what conditions I assess the world.
  • gvc Max 2012/04/17 19:11:26
    gvc
    Guess you don't know many policemen. I don't know one policeman that would not have shot the man given the circumstances. But then, I know actual policemen.
    You are the dude that needs to take it down a notch.
  • Max gvc 2012/04/17 20:13:30
    Max
    You make the second person that thinks they know what I need. I'm not going to sit here and tell you what you need. You too can use your imagination.

I used the words "well-trained" policeman. If your actual policemen, you claim you know, would shoot a paralyzed man, under any circumstances, you deserve their acquaintance.
  • gvc Max 2012/04/17 20:35:29
    gvc
    Max when you grow up and actually have some real world experience...come back and chat with the adults.
  • Max gvc 2012/04/17 20:49:36
    Max
    Okay, Grandma. Now take your delusional meds.
  • gvc Max 2012/04/17 20:52:22
    gvc
    LOL typical kid. Later, much later!!!
  • Bcounted 2012/04/17 15:35:36
    Depends / not sure.
    Bcounted
    Sorry, I hit the check box before I read the post ... Guess I am becoming Americanized.

I think two things come into play here. First, the child was being arrested which mandates the use of handcuffs. Lastly, sounds like the child needs a dose of scare-tactics.
    Bcounted.

2014/10/31 08:35:36