Police Chief In Trayvon Martin Case FIRED. Agree or Not?

Foxhound BN0 2012/06/21 10:54:56
I agree. Chief Bill Lee had to be fired!
I disagree. Chief Bill Lee should NOT have been fired!
Sanford, Fla., has fired Bill Lee, the police chief who initially oversaw the controversial investigation into a neighborhood watch captain's fatal shooting of a 17-year-old, Trayvon Martin. The initial lack of an arrest drove widespread protests and propelled the case into national headlines.

"After much thoughtful discussion and deep consideration for the issues facing the city of Sanford, I have determined the police chief needs to have the trust and respect of the elected officials and the confidence of the entire community," Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte was quoted saying in the city's statement. "We need to move forward with a police chief that all the citizens of Sanford can support. I have come to this decision in light of the escalating divisiveness that has taken hold of the city." See full story at
http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-case-police-chief-bill-l...

Do you agree with the City of Sanford's decision to fire the Chief?

• Jeremiah 2012/06/21 17:17:59
    Jeremiah
    +12
    No surprise. His department did a disastrously poor job of investigating that case. It showed a complete lack of training and discipline.

The DA will probably be next.

• Sheila 2012/06/26 18:07:26
    Sheila
  • wtxwoman 2012/06/25 19:10:49
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I'm glad, he did not do his job correctly. The whole department needs to be investigated, and not just for this case. There is no telling how many other crimes they have covered up.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/06/24 21:04:51
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    Is this the wishy-washy guy who said there was no case against Zimmerman and then changed his mind under media pressure? If so, yes, he needed to be fired. He is a disgrace to law enforcement.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/06/24 19:45:05
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    He did his job. Why fire a guy who actually does his job? Oh, yea, liberal media pressure.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/06/24 13:28:14
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    I honestly don't know at this point, will have to talk with some "experts" on the law. My problem that I'm having is the term "arrest," first of all. The lack of an arrest in this case did, indeed, result in widespread protests. But, then again, this case was fraught with hate-mongers and knee-jerk reactions under the guise of racism that happens all too frequently in this country anymore. People like the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons who thrive on turmoil.

So my hesitation is, first of all, I don't know what proper procedure is in a case such as this. So I don't know for a fact whether or not anything wrong was done.

Secondly, I totally understand how it would be a total handicap to have a police chief which the community didn't trust. I get that. But I also get the fact that politics keeps rearing its ugly head in times and places where it doesn't belong. And I don't know Chief Lee's record. I mean he could have been an absolute klutz as police chief. Or he could have been a regular Marshal Dillon. Like I said, I don't know. But it makes me a little bit angry that a man gets fired because of political pressure, period, and not because he's an incompetent police chief, for example. And if he was a good, honest and effective police chief? I'd be really pissed.

But, alas, since I don't know all of the facts, I'm not going to make any definitive judgment on this one.
  • goblue1968 2012/06/23 21:10:39
    goblue1968
    What's the big deal here? He resigned months ago, and the city wouldn't let him leave! So now the city can't live with their decision to keep him in the job? What a bunch of jerks are running that city and using Chief Lee as the scapegoat! And then they go and put the assistant chief in charge. How is that any improvement?
  • clasact 2012/06/23 00:12:26
    clasact
    +4
    he screwed that whole thing up from the start
  • Sarasotas.finest 2012/06/22 23:33:26
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/22 20:23:43
    ehrhornp
    +3
    As I understand it the cops who first did the investigation did not treat it seriously. Sounded like they were making jokes with Zimmerman, did a sloppy investigation, and if it was not for the outpouring demanding justice, he would have been allowed to walk. The police chief, being in charge may have paid the price but the cops who did a sloppy investigation should also be fired.
  • American 2012/06/22 14:02:58
    American
    +3
    He should have fired the next day after the murder of Trayvon. Better late than never.
  • Gloria 2012/06/22 12:40:40
    Gloria
    +3
    He blew it.
  • shadow76 2012/06/22 07:21:07
    shadow76
    +2
    I think he handled it well! It is the politicians and media who twisted the story to make it political!
  • art1ej 2012/06/22 04:26:55
    art1ej
    +3
    Police f'ed the investigation in the first place...
  • Keeping It Real 2012/06/22 02:55:56
    Keeping It Real
    +5
    I predict he won't be the only one!
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/06/22 00:30:27
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    I saw this story on Facebook. Excellent decision which I wholeheartedly support.
  • bigfoot 2012/06/21 23:42:52
    bigfoot
    +4
    unfortunately he had to pay dearly for his mis-management.I hope it was just a series of events that over took him.instead of a deliberate cover up.
  • Beccy 2012/06/21 20:16:12
    This is highly racial situation. It appears that both sides are pretty fired up it appears this might be a long hot summer and this is like threwing a lite match into a powder keg.
  • ETpro 2012/06/21 20:14:50
    ETpro
    +4
    It was the state attorney that ordered that Zimmerman not be charged, not the Sanford police. After their initial investigation they wanted to charge him, but someone tipped of a state attorney who left home at 8 PM and drove across 2 counties to intervene and say no to charges.
  • Jrogers 2012/06/21 19:48:57
    Jrogers
    +5
    'Bout Time!
  • prayer warrior 2012/06/21 19:31:11
    prayer warrior
    +2
    Well like I stated before the chief screwed up and why they fired him now I don't know the big news over the case has died down. Maybe they fired him after an investigation which is what should have been done in the shooting of Martin. Investigate then release not release then investigate.
    How about following the law as he has sworn to uphold and keep his personal feeling out of it. ? The shooting of Martin and the release of Zimmerman was suspicious in and of itself.
  • Singerar 2012/06/21 18:57:28
    Singerar
    +5
    Something is rotten in Denmark...
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/06/21 18:11:43
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +2
    well that's one sacrifice to the Socialist Wolves..the latter won't be satisfied of course
  • Raymond Allamby 2012/06/21 18:07:19
    Raymond Allamby
    +7
    the whole police force should be fired.
  • #Justic... Raymond... 2012/06/22 00:34:48
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    There was one detective who wanted Zimmerman charged when the crime first happened but he was over-ruled.
  • Raymond... #Justic... 2012/06/22 00:56:14
    Raymond Allamby
    +2
    ok, he can keep his job. the rest should go.
  • #Justic... Raymond... 2012/06/22 01:57:41
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    I concur Raymond.
  • aherbert 2012/06/21 17:35:29
    aherbert
    +10
    If you are the Chief of Police you have to have the favor of all .... not just a selected few ... they majority have no confidence in the man so he gotta go ...

buh bye
  • carri byers 2012/06/21 17:20:18 (edited)
    carri byers
    +1
    This whole fiasco has been whipped and served by the liberal media into a racial firestorm. I'm sick to death of this innocent little picture of Treyvon at 12 being used to portray the drug using, violent young man of 17 involved in this incident.

(Edited due to a misunderstanding of who was depicted)

THIS is what he looked like before he was killed. Tell me, if you saw this young man sneaking around your neighborhood, that you wouldn't be concerned.
  • aherbert carri b... 2012/06/21 17:39:12
    aherbert
    +10
    The child was murdered prior to his 18 birthday.... drug user yeah right bud.... you are most likely on some sort of pharmaceutical drugs as we speak. I wouldn't be concern with a young black man walking through my neighborhood with a can of tea and skittles.... you are just prejudice.

shame on you
  • carri b... aherbert 2012/06/21 19:29:56 (edited)
    carri byers
    +1
    Here are some facts. He was seen by witnesses wrestling on top of Zimmerman before the shot was fired. The 6 year old picture they keep circulating representing the 17 as a young, innocent boy is the epitome of journalistic dishonesty. More and more of Treyvon's recent behaviors show a young man well on his way to a life of crime. He was on suspension from school living with his father when this incident occurred (which is why Zimmerman didn't recognize him and became suspicious of him as Treyvon was not a regular in the area).

The press has been complicit in keeping you and the rest of the easily led public into making this into a racial issue. Zimmerman was a man, not necessarily a wise man, but a one determined to fulfill his responsibilities. He should not have pursued Treyvon - but from that point on it was Treyvon who was the aggressor. Zimmerman was seen walking away from Treyvon as shouting was taking place. That means Zimmerman was trying to end the confrontation. It was Treyvon that bashed Zimmerman's head into the ground.

The court will probably find Zimmerman guilty of involuntary manslaughter and probably give him time served - AS IT SHOULD BE!
  • aherbert carri b... 2012/06/21 19:44:04
    aherbert
    +8
    The fact is Zimmerman is a murder that killed a 17 year old child ... his size or what he wears does not make a difference.... Zimmerman stalked that child and killed him even when the police told him not to.... Zimmerman and his wife are liars ... and maybe in the near future she will be jailed. How can you back a murderer.... that is just madness...

Haters will hate but those that murder go to jail ....

zimmerman hater
  • carri b... aherbert 2012/06/21 19:51:20 (edited)
    carri byers
    See, here's the problem. You think you know the facts. You don't. No one does till the trial. You are acting as judge, jury and executioner of Zimmerman without access to any evidence.

You and others like you are the problem with this country. All you see is color. You live on the racial divide. You long for this kind of thing so you can feel justified in your racial fervor.

Zimmerman will get his day in court. This police chief won't even get that much thanks to ignorant people like you.
  • aherbert carri b... 2012/06/21 19:56:50
    aherbert
    +5
    The problem with the country is people like you .... the fact is Zimmerman murdered a child and him and his wife lied about their finance ... and people like you still defend them .... with those facts ... yes Zimmerman will get his day in court and I think he will get exactly what he deserves .... if people like you had your way he would be free .... too bad though the world is watching and no one appreciate a bigot or child murder .... stick to the facts .... oh yeah did I mention that it is fact that the police told Zimmerman to standdown and he did not listen ... he was hell bent on killing that child.

zimmerman murder
  • c.ruth93 aherbert 2012/06/21 21:23:06
    c.ruth93
    First of all the police didn't tell him to back off. The Dispatcher told him you don't have to follow him. He was not hell bent on killing any child. He had no pre-meditation nor did he have intent to kill. But sadly you people won't ever change even in the face of facts. There are worse things happening in this world, but when one kid who was for all intensive purposes a punk kid, such as myself (or so I've been called), gets killed you all go beserk. Ever since his picture of little old Trayvon came out everyone has been outraged. Where is the real picture? Why won't they release it? Because it'll tarnish Tryavon's image of being an innocent child.
  • aherbert c.ruth93 2012/06/21 21:31:24 (edited)
    aherbert
    +4
    How do you know what his intent was? You are speculating such as Zimmerman did when he saw that child walking from the store. The fact is he disobyed an order to stand down a killed a child ... in addition he lied to a judge about his finance ... You people will not accept the truth if it hit up side your head. Trayvon was not a punk kid he was an average American child ... but your bias will not accept that fact. The fact is Trayvon was a 17 year old child that was murdered by a grown ass liar named Zimmerman .... now go tell that!

biotch
  • c.ruth93 aherbert 2012/06/21 23:42:07
    c.ruth93
    Obviously you did not read the full DISPATCHER, which by the way has little to no power or authority, conversation between Zimmerman and said dispatcher. There was no order, it was a simple oh we don't need you to do that. You, as a person do not have to follow a dispatcher's instructions. And what was he going to do with his fiances? Fly to Mexico? If he had posted bail he would of been basically a free man, but the way the judge had it, he was under house arrest. He was going nowhere anyways. But alas comes your last point An average American child? We all have very different thoughts about average. Plus how do you know Trayvon was average, oh wait you don't.

The Police Chief is only being fired for politics. He handled the case perfectly. He had his prime suspect in custody, weapon in evidence, and (not to sound cold) the body was in the morgue. He wanted Zimmerman arrested which for all intensive purposes Zimmerman should have been. He did not commit murder, but he ended up killing a child because both parties committed careless actions. The Police Chief did his job and took it to the DA who then told him to let Zimmerman go.
  • aherbert c.ruth93 2012/06/22 00:31:48
    aherbert
    +3
    Obviously you are a supporter of a murder and you promote citizens not to listen to the police dispatcher when they are stalking a young African American/minority. Zimmerman was obviously getting ready to leave the country … considering he was gathering his passport. What makes you think Trayvon was not an average child …. oh your prejudice … I answer my own question. The police chief was fired because he didn’t do his job fairly … only idiots/bigots like you think that he handled his job perfectly. Trayvon was laid up too long prior to the police letting the family know he was dead even though he had a cell phone on his person. Trayvon is dead because Zimmerman stalked him down and murdered him … no fought of Trayvon unless you think walking from the store with a can of tea and candy makes him a suspect … hush … your bigotry is obvious and not worthy of my time.
  • c.ruth93 aherbert 2012/06/22 01:07:12
    c.ruth93
    Oh I'm so prejudiced and bigoted. Well let me introduce you to my family of Mexicans, Blacks, Arabics, Whites. I could give a rat's ass if he was black, yellowe, green, or blue. There are a few other races in there.

"Trayvon was laid up too long prior to the police letting the family know he was dead even though he had a cell phone on his person." Oh is that all you got. Well in identifying a body it's not an instantaneous thing. CSI is an imaginary fairy tale land. Doesn't even matter if you have the cell phone. They didn't have a warrant to look through it. You need one of those to look through anyone's cellphone. Only an idiot think he did any wrong. The police were completely on your side with charging him for murder, you idiot.

You can make anyone into a suspect you moron. A guy wearing a hoody can look like a suspect. A guy wearing jeans and a tee can look suspicious. It's called human nature. Unless you're perfect and can sense when someone is good or bad.

It's okay just keep quiet, don't keep spinning your wheels you'll only sound like a broken record, just keep repeating the same things over and over. I'm sure someone will hear you.
  • Singerar c.ruth93 2012/06/22 01:25:23
    Singerar
    +1
    Watch it.....I have CSI friends. They work their asses off with strict protocol to follow. This case was totally botched.
  • c.ruth93 Singerar 2012/06/23 06:52:42
    c.ruth93
    Please explain how so it was botched??

2014/09/01 07:38:48