Poison pills - would you put a poison pill in Legislation if you had no chance of defeating it?

Mordecai Jones 2009/10/15 00:59:04
In parliamentary practices a "poison pill" is something that you either support or oppose being in a bill so that when the bill comes up for a vote the majority will not be willing to vote for it with the "poison pill" in the bill, but removing it make the bill unacceptable to a different groups who will be able to defeat it without the "poison pill".

An example: The Senate Democrats have a majority and do not need the vote of any Republicans to pass anything they want. Any Republican vote is just window dressing. In both the Senate and the House of Representatives the Democrats can just ignore the presence of the Republicans because there are enough Democrats to make a majority on any issue they care to address.

Senator Snowe (Republican from Maine), has voted with the Democrats to bring the Senate Senate Finance Committee Healthcare bill out of Committee to form the Legislative language for debate, but she knows it contains several issues that will prevent Republicans and Conservative Democrats from voting for the final form unless the issues are removed. If the issues are removed the same bill will be unacceptable to the majority of the Senate Democrats who want the government insurance option.

• Arizona1950 2009/10/15 02:05:01 (edited)
    Yes, I would embed "poison pills" in Legislation to defeat it.
    Arizona1950
    +7
    Call me evil, but if I wanted to kill a bill or pass it I would being a politician embed a poison pill.

It makes absolute sense to me. Here I am trying to address the issues. I have those in power switching and baiting at every turn.

My constituents want answers or at the least they want to see progress. I have sat and listened and learned and watched and can see it is just the dog chasing the tail. Nothing is being done.

I plant the pill. The bill moves forward. Everybody is happy the stalemate is over now at least it can move forward. So let the games begin and this time with the people really getting a handle on what's going on.

This is my understanding of how it works. This is why in the best interest of my constituents, my party, and the people I have planted the poison pill. Yup, call me evil.

• Mordeca... Dewymoon 2009/10/15 04:28:48
    Mordecai Jones
    +5
    I agree - for such a squirrel he does a pretty good job of coming up with some good stuff.
  • lazarous1967 2009/10/15 02:23:06
    lazarous1967
    +4
    If there was a bill that i was completely in agreement to or opposed to i would.
    Arizona1950
    +7

• Mordeca... Arizona... 2009/11/20 23:29:57
    Mordecai Jones
    +1
    I just got this today 20 Nov 09 and it is time stamped 14 Oct - could it be that it was held back for a reason?

Good reasoning and you have the idea of what a poison pill amendment is all about.
  • Arizona... Mordeca... 2009/11/20 23:46:59 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    Just got it today! Hmm ... wonder who is trying to keep us apart?

I read your post and understood completely what it means to plant a poison pill. Very well written IMHO for clarity and understanding for the reasons behind doing so. Regrettably, too many may assume what it means and answer accordingly. I find in many cases Parlimentary procedure is a very interesting subject and well worth learning when going forward in making better decisions for the future when at the voting booth come 2010.
  • rwayne72160 2009/10/15 02:02:10
    rwayne72160
    +6
    As crazy as these left wing extremists who are trying to destroy this country are, I'm all for it. Rat poison is too good for them.
  • Marline 2009/10/15 01:28:51
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Marline
    +5
    One is coming up in 2010, we will vote the rats out. 2010 vote rats
  • rwayne7... Marline 2009/10/15 02:05:45
    rwayne72160
    +7
    Marline, that little rat has the same expression on his face as that other rat Harry Reid always does when he's on TV pushing more of the Obama bunch's left wing garbage.......except the little rat in the picture is kind of cute. Reid just looks like a shriveled, dour old jerk.
  • Marline rwayne7... 2009/10/15 02:26:01
    Marline
    +2
    They do have the same expression after all... expression
  • 7th PLANET "Alien Stud Muffin" 2009/10/15 01:15:15
    None of the above (Please leave a comment)
    7th PLANET "Alien Stud Muffin"
    +5
    I'm for embedding poison pills in 535 RAT LEGISLATORS in Washington leave comment embedding poison pills 535 rat legislators washington !!! LOL
  • Fed Up in NC 2009/10/15 01:13:05
    Fed Up in NC
  • Arizona... Fed Up ... 2009/10/15 03:13:03
    Arizona1950
    +1
    You are too funny! You have the icon of an angle and a song from the depths of hell! I love it! I think we have both taken the same journey as I grew up and spent the majority of my adult life in Massachusetts, home of the Kennedy's.

Thanks for the video!
  • madjack 2009/10/15 01:11:30
    madjack
    +3
    I'm really not sure.I'm familiar with the tactic enough to know it can really back fire.
  • Wayne 2009/10/15 01:11:08
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Wayne
    +6
    All I want is for them to stop the BS games and work towards a reasonable resolution! If they would just grow up and think about the end result on behalf of American, they will have done their jobs! These immature uncooperative fools need to be voted out of Washington!
  • dvines1951 2009/10/15 01:08:56
    Maybe - it depends on what the legislation is about
    dvines1951
    +4
    Our elected officials should do whatever is necessary to represent their constituents
  • elwood dvines1951 2009/10/15 04:25:48
    elwood
    +2
    mostly their own agenda and if it coincides with their constituents interests then they broadcast it more. They are mainly looking out for what will keep them in office.
  • Radioman 2009/10/15 01:02:57
    Radioman
    +6
    If my constituents were dead set against the bill. Then yes it's appropriate.

I hope the Democrats put the "public option" poison pill into the Healthcare bill, because I don't think we as a country can afford it as it came out of the finanace committee. Once we go down that road there is no turning back.

2014/10/25 01:30:43