PlayStation Shut Down for a Week: Heaven Forbid or Thank Heavens?

PlayStation users are going through some serious withdrawal right about now.

While they can play games offline, the PlayStation Network is done indefinitely (not forever gamers, take it easy), most probably less than a week, according to NPR.

Why?

It seems some hackers found a serious security hole.

Sony, the game maker, blogged that hackers might have obtained "name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

PlayStation hosts about 70 million accounts, and the company warns users to be on the look out for unexplained charges on credit cards. They also say users should change their passwords elsewhere if they use the same one.

• onebad 2011/04/27 23:20:45
  • Blue 2011/04/27 23:16:06 (edited)
    Heaven forbid
    Blue
    +2
    I love my PS3! D: good thing I have a back up

love ps3 pure bliss PC
  • Kat 2011/04/27 23:11:58
    Heaven forbid
    Kat
    +2
    I don't actually play games online. I'm more worried about some hacker having my credit card info.
  • Brosia 2011/04/27 23:05:55
    Heaven forbid
    Brosia
    +3
    That sucks for everyone that got stuff taken. Thankfully, I am a hardcore Xbox girl
    sucks thankfully hardcore xbox girl xbox
  • Mike III% Brosia 2011/04/27 23:10:14
    Mike III%
    +3
    PC! =P
  • Mr.Hood... Brosia 2011/04/28 01:26:58
  • Mike III% Mr.Hood... 2011/04/28 02:37:46 (edited)
    Mike III%
    I am... My house is a fortress =) I have my own personal arsenal, Alarm system, German Shepherd (trained to attack), and not-so-cheap locks.

I care less if some pimpled face 16 y/o knows where I live... He wants come see me? ROFL bring it, I'll be sure to bring the popcorn for all the spectators that would love to see a Ranger Vet take him on in the comfort of his own home.

The humor would be epic, the fight... not so much, but funny still!

Got my credit card? What do I care? ZERO LIABILITY. The hacker is liable to go to jail as I am to see the charge on my bill for longer than 24 hours.
  • Brosia Mr.Hood... 2011/04/28 07:01:44
    Brosia
    I don't use Live, too expensive and I don't like dealing with all the 12 year-olds being better at my games than I am.
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2011/04/27 23:04:49
    Heaven forbid
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +6
    i get the feeling Sony will hire a hitman to kill the hacker...
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/27 23:10:49
    Mike III%
    +2
    You ever play a SOE/Sony Game? They lack the coordination to hire tech support and admins, much less a hitman.
  • Scott ヶ... Mike III% 2011/04/27 23:13:15
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +2
    Yes I have, a fare few. I enjoyed them, what was the last one you played?
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 00:05:55 (edited)
    Mike III%
    +1
    Want the short list?
    Vanguard, EQ2 (8 lvl 90's), EQ (23 lvl 85's), SWG, LON (don't get me started), Plannetside yada yada yada.

Last one.. EQ2... still piddling around with that one.

In EQ's defense, while Varent was running it, it was awesome, cutting edge stuff, but since SOE took over... Dear lord.

Avoid anything Sony puts their name on... That saying is right on up there with never whittle towards yourself or piss against the wind.
  • Scott ヶ... Mike III% 2011/04/28 00:27:39
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +2
    I've been pretty happy with Sony, far more than i have been with Microsoft anyway. though for my games I gear more towards such developers such as Bandi Namco, Bethesda and Bioware... though i get the feeling you might not like them ether.

Your computer system looks like my brothers... he nicknamed his the "monolith" because it's huge.
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 00:43:20 (edited)
    Mike III%
    +1
    Mine is Goliath he he... yeah its knee high and weighs about 100lbs (no kidding).

I've had nothing but bad experience after bad experience with Sony... (or their online subsidiary Sony Online Entertainment (SOE).

Examples... As I said before, EQ use to be a great game in fact it is the father of WOW. Until SOE took over it had grown in population, improved graphically and by content. As soon as SOE took over the reigns Planes of Power came out and it was an immediate downhill decline... Then they produced EQ2, my guess is to keep pace with WOW. But being SOE didn't fully own EQ (but they did EQ2) they have been purposely changing the game in a manner that consistently something becomes unfair for another class where this is a game that is enjoyable when classes are well balanced. It would seem that SOE has done everything in their power to run every player possible away to other SOE games and WOW since EQ2 was released.

Now looking at EQ2... That game is only half finished... it shouldn't even be a beta much less a release. Their shader 3.0 models are horrendous (and most cards today run s3.0 better than 1.0.

Now as far as other game companies... I like Bethesda, Bioware, Activision, etc but I dislike their producer EA. But of all, I idolize Ubisoft. These guys set the ...

Now as far as other game companies... I like Bethesda, Bioware, Activision, etc but I dislike their producer EA. But of all, I idolize Ubisoft. These guys set the example of what games are supposed to be; about the player, not about the staff or money. Make a game for the player and the money will come. These guys are the only ones out there that say, sure we'll do the RMT/Microtransaction thing, but you can also earn points by gaining achievements... So if you don't wan to buy into the whole micro-transaction thing, just play the game, you'll eventually earn it that way.

Keep in mind that this particular gripe isn't how they just treated me, but how they treated an entire online gaming community.
  • Scott ヶ... Mike III% 2011/04/28 00:55:26
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 01:13:15 (edited)
    Mike III%
    +1
    Some lack depth, but if you remember their Myst line and Ubu was well... that was so in depth that a lot of people never saw the bottom =) They're fps and action games are strictly just that for the most part, when you're looking for that stuff to cross over you go and look for Bethesda or Bioware =) Just avoid the EA expedited Dragon Age II.
  • Pika 2011/04/27 22:46:13
    Thank heavens
    Pika
    +4
    I actually have the other two consoles. My daddy has a PS3 though

Let's see the fans claim PS3's still better than Xbox now ;)
  • RobertRowe Pika 2011/04/27 22:52:18
    RobertRowe
    +2
    it was obviously microsoft employees that hacked in to destroy the competition. xbox's biggest hit is just a rip off of doom!
  • Pika RobertRowe 2011/04/27 22:53:38
    Pika
    +3
    Yeah, you're probably right.... Bill Gates hacked into the system and took out the competition! He's done it before
  • Mike III% Pika 2011/04/27 23:14:42
    Mike III%
    +1
    ?? I know he stole AT&T's early version of DOS (reverse engineered it at least to the DOS we know of today).
  • Jarhead RobertRowe 2011/04/28 01:52:05
    Jarhead
    I think SOMEONE'S in DENIAL someones denial Denial
  • Mike III% Pika 2011/04/27 22:58:12
    Mike III%
    +2
    I've never heard anyone tech-savvy say PS3 was better than xbox (or PC for that matter)... Anyone (even me) that has ever played a Sony MMO knows it is an utter POS technically and CS wise. Yeah any game/network by SOE or Sony needs to be sent back to Japan with the message to dispose of their own fecal matter.
  • Scott ヶ... Pika 2011/04/27 23:06:09
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +1
    How does PS3 suck again? Because skilled hackers did what they do best...
  • Pika Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 00:02:22
    Pika
    +1
    Because that bull hickey couldn't be pulled with 360
  • ☆SPIDER... Pika 2011/04/28 00:31:15
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    But Xbox Live has been hacked

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/sec...
  • Pika ☆SPIDER... 2011/04/28 00:36:02
    Pika
    +2
    Has the entire system gone down completely? No
  • ☆SPIDER... Pika 2011/04/28 00:46:36
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    +1
    True it hasn't gone down completely, but I believe the reason it's been down for a week is a precautionary measure. I'm sure it could have gone back up the day after, but it does them well to find the loophole, block and reinforce it before they open up the network again.

The fact that user info has been stolen isn't new to either system. Or the Wii for that matter
  • Scott ヶ... Pika 2011/04/28 01:00:40
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    For all you know Xbox Live could be next...and they know, Microsoft are on high alert.

http://www.techflash.com/seat...
  • Pika Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 01:03:34
    Pika
    +1
    I doubt it. Microsoft is probably a lot more secure than Nintendo. Like the saying goes., you get what you pay for
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 02:39:57 (edited)
    Mike III%
    LMAO... Its like a boxing match.. MS throws a right hook, and now Sony is waiting for MS to drop its left. That is an awesome mental image.

Woohh!! I can hear it now, "Go Bill!" and "Go Wasimoto!" and "Go Steve Jobs!" Wait, where did he come from? Oh its a tag team! he he he.
  • Mr.Hood... Pika 2011/04/28 01:31:50
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Yes. Xbox live was shut down for 2 whole weeks in 2007
  • Pika Mr.Hood... 2011/04/28 01:34:31
    Pika
    +1
    Did everybody lose their credit card information to hackers?
  • Mr.Hood... Pika 2011/04/28 01:37:31
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Everyone on PSN didn't loose their credit card info. They said it was possible but there is no evidence showing that info was compromised.
  • Pika Mr.Hood... 2011/04/28 01:40:51
    Pika
    +1
    You're probably right, in fact I really hope you are since my dad's credit card information is on his PS3, but at least Xbox is wise to this kind of thing now, and hopefully PS3 will become
  • Mr.Hood... Pika 2011/04/28 01:45:46
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Q&A straight from sony. Your father may want to read it if he hasn't already.
    http://blog.us.playstation.co...
  • Pika Mr.Hood... 2011/04/28 01:46:25
    Pika
    +1
    Thank you
  • Scott ヶ... Pika 2011/04/28 00:34:22
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    How exactly?
    Hackers don't go for easy things, not a challenge nor can you brag... we don't even know how long it took them to crack the PS3, might have taken years. hackers, if determined enough, always win.

Besides in 2008 hundreds of thousands of Microsoft servers were hacked. No one is immune from hackers, I believe your pentagon has been hacked into many times, hell someone managed to hack your predator drones. Annoyingly a lot of hackers do this stuff for "fun" or for "rep".
  • Pika Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 00:36:14
    Pika
    +1
    They'll go to prison for a long, long time
  • Scott ヶ... Pika 2011/04/28 00:37:28
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    Or get employed by the government to help make a better system.
  • Mike III% Scott ヶ... 2011/04/28 00:59:38 (edited)
    Mike III%
    Convicted hackers are banned for life from a computer... (federal law)

They cannot work for the government or to work on a computer no matter how desperate and despite Hollywood's propaganda.

Instead they may be ORDERED to teach folks like me how to do what they do for lighter sentencing :)

2014/07/31 11:16:27