Planned Parenthood Loses Breast Exam Funding: Understandable or Awful?

Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the largest breast cancer organization in the country, has cut funding from Planned Parenthood, a non-profit reproductive health service provider that has become controversial for supporting and aiding abortions. According to Komen, the cuts are not meant to oppose abortion, but rather to enforce a new policy that prohibits offering grants to "organizations that are under investigation." Because Rep. Cliff Stearns is investigating how Planned Parenthood funds abortions, that disqualifies them.

However, proponents are upset because the majority of Komen's funding went toward breast health screenings and exams -- not abortions. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, they've funded 170,000 breast examinations and 6,400 mammogram referrals through Planned Parenthood. Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said, "Our greatest desire is for Komen to reconsider this policy and recommit to the partnership on which so many women count."

• Fef 2012/02/01 21:56:29
    Understandable
    Fef
    +40
    People didn't expect donations to the Susan G. Komen foundation to fund a pro-abortion activist organization.

If I wanted to donate to Planned Parenthood, I would....

• cat 2012/02/03 02:50:29
    Awful
    cat
    +6
    This has little to do with abortion and lots to do with mamograms and birth control. I know I won't donate a dime to them again.
  • ProudProgressive 2012/02/03 02:10:35
    Awful
    ProudProgressive
    +11
    How many more Americans have to die to satisfy the Right Wing?
  • luvguins ProudPr... 2012/02/03 02:12:40
    luvguins
    +8
    Apparently lots more to satisfy the right wing Christian Taliban, my friend.
  • onabeach ProudPr... 2012/02/03 03:00:42
    onabeach
    Who says their screening saves lives? Are you basing your implication on scientific evidence or simply politics? Are you a doctor?

A systematic review of medical trials have shown no evidence that these type of clinical examinations reduce cancer mortality. http://summaries.cochrane.org...
  • Sue Mac... onabeach 2012/02/03 03:19:08
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +4
    Are you a doctor??? Because every doctor I've been to still recommends women get screened for breast cancer yearly.
  • onabeach Sue Mac... 2012/02/03 06:03:56 (edited)
    onabeach
    No, I am a student. I learned about this from my prof who is a physician and epidemiological researcher. It is an example of something that used to be somewhat useful before the invention of mammography, but now remains as an artifact, just because back at the time when most of the currents docs were in med school it was still thought to be beneficial. (In fact the guidelines were only changed in 2010). http://www.health.harvard.edu...

But you don't have to take my word for it, I linked to the summery of the Cochrane Collaboration's analysis (a systematic review is at the top of the evidence-based medicine hierarchy). The Cochrane Collaboration is among the most prestigious organization who performs these reviews.

http://www.uspreventiveservic...
    http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/de...

I not trying to convince people not to be examined, that is between them and their doctor who knows their circumstances. My point is that if you are going to be making serious charges that people are going to die because of the "right wing"'s influence on this policy, you should have evidence to support your case. As you will note from the ucdavis EBM link above, expert opinion from a fellow doctor is the LOWEST level of evidence on the Oxford EBM pyramid.

http://www.uspreventiveservic...
    http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/de...

• Sue Mac... onabeach 2012/02/04 06:03:12
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    I'm sorry, I really don't have any interest in reading this really, really long unnecessary post - I think I'll just listen to my doctor and get my yearly mamogram.
  • onabeach Sue Mac... 2012/02/04 15:45:27 (edited)
    onabeach
    Planned Parenthood doesn't give mammograms! So that is completely irrelevant. All they can do is refer for them (a referral is unnecessary for a woman to get a mammogram) and act as a middleman to redistribute funds from Komen. http://www.washingtonpost.com...
    http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-...

Therefore, I was talking about manual breast exams, which they do offer, and which have shown no ability to reduce breast cancer deaths or overall mortality. (see the links in blue above.) So assuming people would have died from this, as ProudProgressive and luvguins do takes a leap of faith, it is not a conclusion that can be drawn from scientific evidence.
  • Sage onabeach 2012/02/03 04:08:39
    Sage
    +4
    ....AND the earth is flat.
  • onabeach Sage 2012/02/03 06:25:17 (edited)
    onabeach
    You are out of your element and have no idea what you are talking about. Sometimes you have to know something about science, we can't reduce everything to references to popular myths. If on the other hand you have data from recent research on the subject that would be relevant to the discussion.

Also, you have it backwards; this is the opposite of the flat earth myth, the established practice is to do manual breast exams, the recent evidence is pointing the other way. To quote the Harvard Medical School newsletter, "The panel reviewed clinical studies published since guidelines were last updated, in 2002, and it applied new methods for analyzing all the data. It concluded that the use of mammography, clinical breast exam, and breast self-exam should be scaled back." http://www.health.harvard.edu...

To quote from the Mayo Clinic Health information page: "Breast exams, once thought essential for early breast cancer detection, are now considered optional. While screening mammograms have been proved to save lives, there's no evidence that breast exams can do this."
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/hea...

Planned Parenthood only provides breast exams, they do not perform mammograms, they can only refer. http://www.washingtonpost.com...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/hea...

• Singerar onabeach 2012/02/03 18:36:18
  • onabeach Singerar 2012/02/03 19:48:47 (edited)
    onabeach
    "You're a guy! Come on. I have three doctors. Three specialists. All Three ask me if I've had my YEARLY breast exam. A Cardiologist, a neurologist, and my GP."
    That is not how evidenced based medicine works. The key word is "evidence". You have to look at the available scientific evidence, not people's opinion. Because very few docs have experience researching the efficacy of manual breast exams, all they know is what they heard in med school, guesses from theirs and their colleagues anecdotal experiences, and what what they've read in journals such as the one that published the study I linked to in my first reply. Historically, relying on doctors' judgement rather than evidence gave us treatments like blood-letting, application of animal feces, and refusal to wash hands prior to surgery/ delivering babies, so that is why there is such a strong push for evidenced-based practices in modern medicine.

And how on earth is the fact that someone is a cardiologist or neurologist supposed to give weight to their opinions about breast exams? You are saying a heart specialist, a brain specialist, and a general practitioner should know more about the effects of breast exams than the public health specialists, biostaticians, associate professor of ob/gyn, etc who reviewed EVERY availab...

And how on earth is the fact that someone is a cardiologist or neurologist supposed to give weight to their opinions about breast exams? You are saying a heart specialist, a brain specialist, and a general practitioner should know more about the effects of breast exams than the public health specialists, biostaticians, associate professor of ob/gyn, etc who reviewed EVERY available study on the matter?

Also, how does that fact that someone has two X chromosomes magically give them scientific evidence? That assumption was wrong anyway, in fact a majority of members of the USPSTF who participated in authoring the guidelines are women.

"Women over 35 need to have a yearly mammogram as well."
    The USPSTF review found that except for high risk women (Gail Model more than 1.7%), it is not until the age of 50 that the amount of lives saved by breast cancer detection due to mammography is shown to be greater than the dangers (risks of unnecessary procedures and cancer caused by accumulated radiation exposure due to the tests.) So they recommend against uniform routine testing before age of 50, prior to that it needs to be a decision based on the individual, so you don't end up killing more low risk people than you save.
    http://www.uspreventiveservic... (see supporting articles)

http://www.uspreventiveservic...
  • Singerar onabeach 2012/02/03 22:05:43
  • onabeach Singerar 2012/02/03 22:21:37 (edited)
    onabeach
    The people I am quoting ARE doctors.
    You mean write a paragraph on why a professor of gynecology and her colleagues who have published research on the topic know more about women's health than your cardiologist? I already did ^

The level of scientific literacy among the general population in this country is atrocious
  • Sue Mac... Singerar 2012/02/11 04:59:07
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +1
    You're a smart woman!! Mammograms are necessary, I certainly don't want to take any chances by not getting one yearly!
  • cc ProudPr... 2012/02/03 03:26:16
    cc
    how many more babies need to die to satisfy the left?
  • Sage cc 2012/02/03 04:10:01
    Sage
    +3
    The Right wants all fertilized eggs to be born, then they can cut the funding to starve them all to death. What a cool idea if it weren't so cruel. How about caring about the already born?
  • Sage ProudPr... 2012/02/03 04:07:56
    Sage
    +3
    The Right Wing "Christian" Nut jobs will not be satisfied until all women are subservient birthing machines wrapped up in "stylish" Christian version Burkas.
  • jules f... Sage 2012/02/03 04:34:52
    jules ferengi
    +1
    Not at all. I think women should have their own choices but I also think that if someone gives to cancer research they have the right to not want to support abortions.
    If Planned Parenthood, the biggest abortion mill in the country wants money they should raise it on their own.
  • Singerar Sage 2012/02/03 18:37:23
    Singerar
    God that's true!!
  • DizziNY 2012/02/03 01:23:21 (edited)
    Understandable
    DizziNY
    +3
    It's their choice who to fund and who NOT to fund. Go Komen, stand fast for the millions of voiceless lives that are murdered every year.

Alternatives to Abortion

Despite all their talk about "choice," those at abortion clinics who counsel women on their options often act as if abortion is a woman’s only realistic alternative. This simply isn’t so.

Throughout the United States, there are nearly 3,000 Crisis Pregnancy Centers staffed by volunteers ready to provide real help to women facing unplanned or untimely pregnancies. In addition to providing pregnancy tests and counseling, these centers often offer a full range of services, helping women obtain housing, maternity and baby clothes, baby equipment, pre- and post-natal medical care, legal assistance and financial support, information about adoption, and even advice on how a woman in school can continue her education. Offering real and tangible assistance, these centers have helped thousands of women to realize that they didn’t have to choose between their own lives and the lives of their unborn babies.

Unlike their counterparts at the local abortion clinic, the volunteer counselors at your Crisis Pregnancy Center do not have a vested financial interest in the ultimate decision you make. Their concern and commitment are gen...

i support komen

Alternatives to Abortion

Unlike their counterparts at the local abortion clinic, the volunteer counselors at your Crisis Pregnancy Center do not have a vested financial interest in the ultimate decision you make. Their concern and commitment are genuine, so you can count on them to stick by you through the tense and sometimes difficult months ahead.

If you picked up this pamphlet at your local Crisis Pregnancy Center, you already have some idea of the quality of people who work there. But if not, you can look in the Yellow Pages under the heading "Abortion Alternatives," or call, toll-free, 1 (800) 848-LOVE, any time, day or night, to find the nearest Crisis Pregnancy Center in your area. You’ll find someone who genuinely cares about what happens to you and your unborn baby.
  • cirqued... DizziNY 2012/02/03 01:30:40
    cirquedusolame
    +6
    This argument again? Even if you do not believe that women's bodies belong to themselves (or that they should be able to make their own choices about their bodies), most of Komen's funds went to breast cancer screenings and referrals. Not all women can afford to pay for cancer screenings, and Planned Parenthood gives them a place to go. Why are you thanking Komen for taking away screenings for low-income women?
  • DizziNY cirqued... 2012/02/03 01:55:34 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +2
    You are forcing your choice on a voiceless victim. Use protection or don't have sex. I go thru Catholic Charities and the do not force their POV on me in the least. They will help anyone so Planned Murder, I mean Planned Parenthood is not needed.
  • Sue Mac... DizziNY 2012/02/03 03:21:25
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    +2
    How typical of you as a "Catholic" to make EVERYTHING (even breast screenings) about abortion!!!
  • cirqued... DizziNY 2012/02/08 01:40:34
    cirquedusolame
    It's not like Planned Parenthood is going to tell you about abortion if you're walking in for a breast cancer screening (but they WILL give you an accurate layout of all of your reproductive health options, including protection and contraceptive methods, emergency contraception, and abortion [which, as I'm sure you know, is a very safe procedure] if you ask!). I stand by and trust Planned Parenthood to give me concise and accurate information about my sexual health and my options. Even if you don't, it is unreasonable (to say the least) to assume that all people will go to Catholic Charities (I mean, do they provide services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning folks? It seems pretty vague on the website and their statistics don't show what percentage of queer folks they're helping).

P.S. A fetus does not have personhood. What murder are you going on about?
  • jules f... cirqued... 2012/02/03 04:37:28
    jules ferengi
    Baloney! Komen is not taking away anything. They provide much needed services. If you want to support abortions, go ahead. That is your right. It is also my right to support cancer research and not want my money to be stolen for abortions.
  • cirqued... jules f... 2012/02/08 01:44:18
    cirquedusolame
    Komen provides much needed services to privileged women. By rescinding funds from Planned Parenthood, they are taking away breast cancer screenings for a lot of low-income people, since a lot of low-income people go to Planned Parenthood for a variety of services. And I don't know if this will come as a surprise, but if comprehensive sex ed was provided to all students in all U.S. states (instead of abstinence-only programs), there would be less unwanted pregnancies. So I think we should "steal" your money for comprehensive sex ed, instead. (:
  • jules f... cirqued... 2012/02/03 04:48:34
    jules ferengi
    Komen will continue to give money for worthy causes like mammograms for poor women just not at the abortion mill.
  • cirqued... jules f... 2012/02/08 01:46:58
    cirquedusolame
    +1
    Please get your facts right. Planned Parenthood offers overall health care and keep their patients' best interests at heart—abortion is offered as an option for those who have unwanted pregnancies, and Planned Parenthood also does a lot of outreach regarding sexual health to people of all ages. I could sit here and tell you that only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services goes to abortion, but the truth is, there is nothing wrong with abortion, so I'm not going to go that route.
  • Sue Mac... DizziNY 2012/02/03 03:20:00
    Sue MacDonald Kyak
    This is what I hear when I see your long ass, ridiculous response -
    Blah, blah, blah, blah!!!!
  • cirqued... Sue Mac... 2012/02/29 04:34:35
    cirquedusolame
    The response may be extremely ridiculous, but I think that we stand to learn a few things from these people:

1. Oppositional individuals aren't always worth dealing with/responding to.
    2. We need to work harder on educating folks about sex, abortion, protection, and Planned Parenthood so that less people will share ridiculous views like this.
    3. If long messages aren't getting through to people, then perhaps shorter (and catchier) ones will be more effective. (:
  • katchan 2012/02/03 01:10:02
    Understandable
    katchan
    But still kind of awful. I know they pulled funding because they have a policy about not funding charities that are currently under investigation; but it still sucks =(
  • James Loughran 2012/02/03 00:53:19
    Awful
    James Loughran
    +5
    Susan G. Komen donates millions to university sports and they are under investigation. don't think they are pulling funding from the university. Hypocrites.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/02/03 00:51:01
    Awful
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +8
    A decision that clearly has politics behind it.I will not be donating time or effort to the Susan G.Komen fundation.
  • luvguins CAROLYN... 2012/02/03 02:17:29
    luvguins
    +6
    Me either, Carolyn, but I heard tonight that some local chapters of Komen are going to continue funding Planned Parenthood.
  • CAROLYN... luvguins 2012/02/03 02:24:48
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +4
    Tell you the truth,I'm not surprised.Where I live the Komen fundation has always been very supportive of Planned Parenthood.
  • luvguins CAROLYN... 2012/02/03 02:26:53
    luvguins
    +6
    That's a good thing about this. The main foundation is going to take the heat on this.
  • CAROLYN... luvguins 2012/02/03 02:34:57
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +5
    Good! Thanks for the info luv.
  • Mr. Smith 2012/02/03 00:34:19
    Understandable
    Mr. Smith
    +3
    It's real simple, no public funding for any organization that performs abortions. You want the funding, then spin off the abortion clinic into a separate organization and pay for it through private funding. I'm sure all the people who voted 'Awful' would be more than happy to dig into their wallets to help pay to kill an unborn human being!
  • The Ele... Mr. Smith 2012/02/03 00:37:52
    The Electrician
    +5
    PP, doesn't perform abortions. Never did.

2014/07/29 02:39:32