Phoebe Prince's Bullies Sentenced: Did They Get Off Easy?

Sean Mulveyhill and Kayla Narey, two 18-year-olds accused of harassing Phoebe Prince to the point of suicide in October, pled guilty to criminal harassment on Wednesday and were sentenced to community service and one year of probation, ABC reports.

Phoebe Prince moved with her family from Ireland to South Hadley, Mass., in 2009. She entered South Hadley High School and began a brief relationship with Mulveyhill. The relationship apparently angered Mulveyhill's former girlfriend, Kayla Narey, and even though Prince and Mulveyhill eventually stopped dating, Narey and her friends continued to bully and harass Prince in-person and online. Prince hanged herself in January of 2010.

Prince's mother gave a heart-wrenching speech at the sentencing.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/phoebe-princes-mother-spe...

• Joanna the Great 2011/05/05 01:54:58
    Joanna the Great
    +10
    UNDECIDED PLEASE! I don't know enough to make such a black and white decision. And I believe that committing suicide is a decision that only the person makes, and others shouldn't be blamed for the death. Blamed for bullying? yes. harassment? yes. suicide? no. maybe they did get off light, but I don't know exactly what happened in the bullying. if they truly harassed her mercilessly, then they should get the maximum sentence for harassment.

• La colton ... 2011/05/05 14:07:00
    La
    They're only 18, and prison is a horrible place. How do you know it wouldn't scar them for life, causing them to lash out more when they get out? How do you know they'd end up being less of a bully. I think better to take the social repercussions. People at their school who may have encouraged them, laughed and not taken it seriously will have completely different attitudes now that a girl is dead. Also now their families are fully aware of their behaviour and I'm sure they're working on it.
  • colton ... La 2011/05/06 01:07:07
    colton delaney
    I think they should have seen the inside of a prison for a few days at least. this punishment is not a life changing sentence, its a "whew I got away with it" bull crap sentence. They deserved as harsh a sentence as they dished out to this poor girl.
  • lylamerican 2011/05/05 02:58:16
    lylamerican
    +1
    now any kid will bully
  • meshell lylamer... 2011/05/05 05:19:26
    meshell
    +2
    any kid does now.
  • magic_is_might BN-0 2011/05/05 02:55:19
    magic_is_might BN-0
    +2
    That "punishment" is a joke.
  • Juliet 2011/05/05 02:44:25
    Juliet
    +1
    human beings can be so cruel to other human beings. we should all learn to try to be more compassionate and understanding. no one is perfect though. this is very sad, if my child is ever bullied i will make sure to do something about it.
  • meshell Juliet 2011/05/05 05:20:15
    meshell
    +2
    as her parents should have.
  • iHeartChopin 2011/05/05 02:29:53
    iHeartChopin
    +2
    Oh so what they're saying bullying is okay. Well, It's not.
  • Bonboyl 2011/05/05 02:22:38
    Bonboyl
    +2
    Yes. The bullying situations are bad and we need to get stricter with those committing the act. These kids don't know, or care, how much their hatefulness hurts the other person. We need to set some precedents and make it clear to all the kids that bullying has serious consequences.
  • sally 2011/05/05 02:17:36
    sally
    +1
    Way too easy.
  • CloudedTear 2011/05/05 02:09:42
    CloudedTear
    +1
    One year of probation? that's what her life was worth? that's a slap in the face to the family and a slap on the wrist to the guilty party. this gives incentive to other bullies saying, "if they can get off, why can't i?" ppl might think it's the girl's own fault because she committed suicide. but those bullies knew how much it hurt her,and they wanted to hurt her, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. The tongue is a double-edged sword.
  • La Clouded... 2011/05/05 12:16:27
    La
    They weren't charged with causing death, they were charged with harassment. They pleaded guilty (25% discount) and were sentenced as such. If every bitchy girl was put in prison, there'd be no girls left.
  • Clouded... La 2011/05/05 23:22:50
    CloudedTear
    +2
    hmmm....i see. considering the charge...it was fair then. but considering the result...it just doesn't feel enough. Not all girls are bitchy. They can be during a certain time of the month,some are all the time, but most aren't. I know where to the line when it comes to ribbing and when it comes to revenge. I don't really do mean things often and know alot of girls who don't. Just wish the girl didn't committ suicide....
  • Philip Maclennan 2011/05/05 01:56:15
    Philip Maclennan
  • Philip ... Philip ... 2011/05/05 02:02:38
    Philip Maclennan
    man i wish they got locked up for good bullying should never be taken lightly even in the justice system.
  • Joanna the Great 2011/05/05 01:54:58
    Joanna the Great
    +10
  • Ballade... Joanna ... 2011/05/05 04:55:37
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    Not black or white...RIGHT OR WRONG..they did WRONG they drove someone to despiar to take their own life
  • Jay K Ballade... 2011/05/05 05:30:36
    Jay K
    +5
    Yeah, but have you wonder if the teen didn't already have suicidal tendencies to begin with and the actual severity of the bullying. You can't sentence someone to death just because someone is sensitive to harsh treatment.
  • Ballade... Jay K 2011/05/05 05:32:00
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    since there was no trial it won't come out that they knew she was vulnerable no doubt that's why they targeted her....listen to the Mother hear her PAIN and tell me those monsters are innocent
  • Jay K Ballade... 2011/05/05 05:46:08
    Jay K
    +4
    They may not be innocent of cruelty and despicable behavior, but I wouldn't call them murders. To do that, you would have to punish anyone who's ever bullied someone who eventually offed themselves. Those people can be pointed to one of the reasons I person committed suicide, but in the end no one forced the girl to do it.
  • Ballade... Jay K 2011/05/05 05:47:48
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    and if they KNEW she was weak mentally and still went after? THAT is 'depraved indifference to human life' and I believe in NYC and other places in manslughter 2
  • Jay K Ballade... 2011/05/05 05:55:07
    Jay K
    +2
    But DID they know she would kill herself? Because honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to condemn anyone a charge of murder without a shadow of a reasonable doubt. And lemme tell you, I have some big shadows looming over me when asked about this situation. I'm willing to let someone be harshly punished for being a dick, but accusing them of the kill point blank sounds like an eerie parallel to bullying.
  • Ballade... Jay K 2011/05/05 05:58:43 (edited)
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    all I would need to know is did they know or even suspect her weakness no reasonable doubt...but then I don't watch Oprah..and my 'little gray cells' are intact. did you even READ the statute I posted? Probably not too logical and clear headed
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/05 12:08:46
    Dawn
    +5
    to fit the statute you posted their acts would need to be "imminently dangerous" - she would have to have had the razor in her hand or been on the edge of the building and they continue their torment.

for someone who claims to understand, even first hand, that abuse doesn't need to be physical you sure like to stomp around calling everyone names; if you can't refrain from doing that out of decency then perhaps consider that no one has ever been convinced by such a thing.

but then, i imagine this is just you playing out your own anger. some of us that were bullied turn into bullies.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/05 20:39:58
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    Translation: you will defend monsters no matter what....you are an enabeler look up THAT epithet
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/13 14:56:58 (edited)
    Dawn
    translation of your comments - i can pick on whoever i want and be as mean as i want because i'm a victim and anyone who disagrees is a bully.

or more firmly distilled: YOU ARE A BULLY, pretending to be a victim. i believe there is a saying for that 'wolf in sheep's clothing'
  • Dawn Dawn 2011/05/13 14:59:35
    Dawn
    oh, and you are also dishonest. you pretend it's about the law. when i go to the law that you posted you no longer want to talk about that.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/13 20:48:19
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    and you still defend Monsters,,,me I am just calling you on it.
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/13 20:54:46
    Dawn
    all i ever said about the bullies in the prince case is that they shouldn't be tried for murder. being a bully - doesn't make you a murderer . . you should know. if i defended bullies i'd be defending you.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/13 20:56:39
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    you defend THEM They drove somone to their death 'depraved indifference to Human Life' ...sorry if these concepts are beyond your obviously limited mental capacity... and monsters get away with it because rubes like yourself blame the victim
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/13 21:09:47
    Dawn
    i have never defended them.
    the statute reads beyond your selective clipping; even if you don't want it to.

"sorry if these concepts are beyond your obviously limited mental capacity"
    that is bullying. you are a bully. you have continually on this thread and others called me names; insulted my intelligence, my morals, my family on one occasion . .. if i kill myself will you turn yourself in?
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/13 21:25:23
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    BUT according to YOUR standards...IF you 'off yourself' I am totally innocent
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/13 22:23:08 (edited)
    Dawn
    but according to YOUR standards you would have been the one to actually kill me (that's kill not 'off' - very important distinction). do you live your life by my standards??? i didn't ask what the law should do i asked what YOU would do? so, do your rules apply to you??? or if you live by my standards then let me know so i can direct you.

and for the record - according to my standards you would be not guilty of murder. there are other crimes. pretending i've said "off myself" and "totally innocent" is just flat out lying. have some integrity.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/14 00:24:41
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    ahh want it BOTH ways don't you...sorry sport again look up depraved indifference in the law.. Oh that's right you don't wish to some commen sense law upsets your emotion driven defense of human monsters
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/14 00:39:35
    Dawn
    no i've been quite consistent. i said from the beginning the bullies were guilty just not guilty of murder.

YOU want it both ways. you want to say bullying is wrong whilst still giving yourself the right to bully.

i did look it up. and you're right - it wouldn't apply to you (although i fully believe that you are someone that would happily watch me or anyone else you don't deem worthy die) as it didn't apply to those girls.

if YOU think bullying is equivalent to murder then you shouldn't be a bully. personally, i don't think it is equivalent to murder and YET - having been on the receiving end of it (by people far more adept at it than you) - bullying is not something i would do.

you want some common sense? hold yourself to your own standards.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/14 01:12:23
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    Not bullying you....I AM revealing your hypocrisy your weak minded love for those that have 'depraved indifference'..and you inability to admit you are simply wrong
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/14 01:18:25
    Dawn
    you are. you have been. even before this post. and you full well know it. this last post is the MOST civil i've seen you act yet.

i don't love them but despising what they've done doesn't mean i can call them murderers.
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/14 01:20:25
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    scroll up show me wher you have condemmed them where you feel they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law....SHOW ME All i hear from you and others is the implication they are innocent saints...question: if they raped her would you still blame the victim...?
  • Dawn Ballade... 2011/05/14 01:45:05
    Dawn
    i don't know that i have stated it here since i was not responding to the poll but rather to you. and why did i respond to you? because i got tired of watching you bully other people which i've seen before and the particular irony of you doing it while decrying bullying just got my ire up. i've never understood that. so, in a reaction to the hypocrisy and knowing full right well i can take it - i threw myself in your line of fire.

now, you SHOW ME where i implied they were innocent saints? i said they weren't murderers. that's all i've said.

they should be punished to the fullest extent for harassment, libel, whatever privacy laws we can find ETC. and more importantly, all the 'adults' that didn't intervene when they damned well should have should be held accountable although legally that is a bit trickier. however, they should not be tried for murder.

and please show me where i blamed the victim? that is the friggin daddy of all red herrings.

what about you? if it were revealed that she were an obama supporting liberal then would she still be a victim in your eyes?
  • Ballade... Dawn 2011/05/14 01:54:11
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    just not punished for 'depraved indifference' wow a wristslap? Draining bedpans at the local hospitol? Life is cheap in your world isn't it? and again i don't bully I educate the mentally deficient ..the rubes that think monsters shouldn't be punished (look in the mirror)

2014/11/24 08:25:42