Paul Ryan said that 1.4 million small businesses filed for bankruptcy in 2011. The actual number was 47,806. Do you think that a politician who lies to such a huge degree should have to pay a fine for it?

M. Aronson 2012/09/04 03:54:52
I'm just not sure which branch of government would be responsible for imposing the fine and/or where the monies should go. Should they go towards a scholarship fund? Towards reducing the deficit? Towards helping reduce hunger? etc.

• luvguins 2012/09/04 04:56:58
    Yes. Lies of that scope do a great disservice to the American people.
    luvguins
    +9
    These two clowns think pathological lying will succeed. Ryan even lied about his time when he ran one marathon, greatly pissing off serious marathon runners. One of their campaign managers said they would not let fact checkers influence their campaign. That's the only true thing they have said so far.

• flrdsgns 2012/09/06 21:23:56
    flrdsgns
    +1
    But Ryan also claimed to run a marathon in well under 3 hours. The man lies every time he opens his mouth.
  • Mr.RiGHT NOW 2012/09/04 19:40:51
  • Mr.RiGH... Mr.RiGH... 2012/09/04 19:41:10
  • M. Aronson Mr.RiGH... 2012/09/04 20:39:04
    M. Aronson
    +1
    @ Mr.RIGHT: I'm not sure I understand what you wrote, but maybe this information and graph will help clarify this issue:

bamnks
  • just me Mr.RiGH... 2012/09/15 21:02:22 (edited)
    just me
    A small fact you might want to add to your information vault. Most small businesses go bankrupt due to lack of capitalization. Since the 2008 financial banking crisis, banks are not lending to small business. My parents bankrupt 3 small businesses and my ex-husband and his partners bankrupt another, due to financial mismanagement. Obama was no where in sight.
  • M. Aronson Mr.RiGH... 2012/09/04 20:44:19 (edited)
    M. Aronson
    +2
    @ MrRightNow: Your statement is so outrageous that words fail me. I'll do better by providing just a few illustrations. (I apologize for posting so many at once, but what this guy just said is such a broad and outrageous statement that I feel I have to knock down several facets of his "squeaky clean" candidates.)

jesus

mitt

mitt forgot

blood

even Fox

Rpulls

frdaley
  • SW 2012/09/04 17:40:14
    SW
    +3
    His penalty should be never again to be elligible for public office.
  • bob h. 2012/09/04 17:39:18
    bob h.
    +3
    Of course; Martha Stewart went to Club Fed for lying about a crime she wasn't even charged with. How much worse should be the penalty for a grand deception like these scam artists?
  • M. Aronson bob h. 2012/09/04 20:57:32
    M. Aronson
    +1
    Great point, Bob h! And especially now that we've learned that Ryan did the same thing that Martha did, but wasn't punished for it!

martha
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/09/04 17:38:58 (edited)
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +3
    We should create a national truth-offenders registry. Paul Ryan could be the first name on the list.
  • roman 2012/09/04 17:33:13
    roman
    +3
    in other words he's not the sort of man you want running your political representation!
    this is the kind of politician that has worked hard to get us right here, so you don't want to vote for this guy, pay him a treasure fee to run your business and then he's going to tell you you owe this much money you have to pay????? I JUST CANT BRING MYSELF TO TRUST THIS GUY GOTTA BE A BETTER CHOICE SOMEWHERE???
  • kevracer 2012/09/04 16:54:06
    kevracer
    +4
    Ryan just tells one whopper on top of another
  • Deep007 2012/09/04 16:46:20
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/09/04 15:24:46
    Lulu's Mom
    +3
    If more politicians were fined for the lies they tell, they may not do it as much.
  • twocrows 2012/09/04 13:43:08
    twocrows
    +4
    STOP THE PRESSES! Ryan lied!
  • Tom Degan 2012/09/04 13:03:48
    Other (Please explain)
    Tom Degan
    +5
    Politicians are going to lie. You might as well try to stop the sun from setting or the moon from rising. The point is this: Romney/Ryan only have lies going for them. Are we going to be stupid enough to go down this road again?

http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

Tom Degan

Tom Degan
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/09/04 12:58:50 (edited)
    Picasso's Cat
  • Moonage 2012/09/04 12:18:27
    No. It's called Freedom of Speech/Let the buyer beware.
    Moonage
    +4
    Well, for starters, his statement is closer to reality than yours.
    http://www.uscourts.gov/News/...

There were 1.4 million bankruptcies. The only thing that differentiates a "business" vs "personal" is the legal status of the person filing for bankruptcy. If a person is operating as a sole proprietor, it would be a "personal" bankruptcy even though their business failed. If it's a corporation, it would be a "business" bankruptcy even though their personal debt killed the business.

Bottom line, bankruptcies are still running at about double the rate when Obama took office regardless of how you nitpick the adjective.
  • Maynard Moonage 2012/09/04 12:30:33
    Maynard
    +3
    Facts, great job, now you can be called a racist, let's see how long it takes.
  • kudabux Moonage 2012/09/04 13:00:03
    kudabux
    +4
    They took a hint from big business and Trump: go bankrupt and screw everybody
  • Moonage kudabux 2012/09/04 14:11:26
    Moonage
    +2
    Not sure who you think "they" are. But given the amount of foreclosures, bankruptcies, and unemployment, I don't think "they" were big business or Trump. If an average Joe has a normal mortgage and car payment and loses his job for six months, bankruptcy is the only logical recourse. Sure, there are some situations where that is the case, but that would most likely be in the business category and that was less than 1% of the total. A personal bankruptcy is not something Trump or "big business" has ever done. It gets real nasty and affects a person's credit for years.
  • kudabux Moonage 2012/09/04 14:25:52
    kudabux
    +4
    Come on. I meant small business owners who went bankrupt. You misconstrued my whole post which is as plain as day. They (small business owners) took a hint from big business (Trump) and screwed everybody. Why can't you understand plain English?
  • Moonage kudabux 2012/09/04 15:11:48
    Moonage
    +1
    Because I think you're repeating a socialist propaganda item that is totally unsupported by logic or facts. Plain English is meaningless if it's simply repeating something that isn't true. May as well use Russian or Chinese if all you're going to do.

As I pointed out, IN PLAIN ENGLISH, there is a fuzzy line between "small business" and "individual" when it comes to bankruptcy. You want to assume they are all mini-mega-corporations. They're not. Most are individual people. Wrecking your credit score for a decade just isn't worth the temporary protection of a bankruptcy.
  • kudabux Moonage 2012/09/04 17:06:18
    kudabux
    +2
    I was again NOT referring to individuals. Wrecking your credit score? That's how it is supposed to work but it doesn't
    +5
    Just.... YES.
  • Idiot repubs 2012/09/04 11:46:42
    Idiot repubs
    +7
    Ayn Ryan is either a liar or epically stupid.
  • Lady Wh... Idiot r... 2012/09/04 12:07:50
  • M. Aronson Idiot r... 2012/10/13 03:14:34
    M. Aronson
    +1
    LOL @ "Ayn Ryan." Good one - very appropriate!:-)
  • ProudProgressive 2012/09/04 11:39:40
    ProudProgressive
    +6
    Damn these screen jumps. I meant to vote no. Freedom of speech, unfortunately, protects a person's right to lie. In fact, Fox "News" actually went to court to fight for their right to lie. That's why you can't get Fox "News" in Canada - THEY have laws against lying like Fox does.

The proper punishment for someone like Lyin Ryan, who will lie about anything and everything for political gain, is to refuse to support his candidacy, and to continue to post information like this poll to make sure that everyone in the country knows that the man is a liar. We used to have a real journalistic media to do that, but with the corporate takeover of the media, it's up to the people themselves to spread the truth.
  • EdVenture 2012/09/04 06:39:23
    EdVenture
    +4
    mandatory Life in prison, might help.
  • joshua.sager.9 2012/09/04 06:36:08
    Other (Please explain)
    joshua.sager.9
    +3
    They shouldn't have to pay a fine, but they should be held to account. Ryan, as with most of the right wing and some of the left, is an unrepentant liar and should not be trusted. Such a huge lie should automatically discredit Ryan and should be called out by the media in order to set the record straight.
  • mike 2012/09/04 06:32:11
    mike
    +6
    if republicans had to pay a fine for every lie they tell, our deficit would be gone
  • Lady Wh... mike 2012/09/04 12:08:14
    +4
    **snerk** **giggle** good point!
  • Lulu's Mom mike 2012/09/04 15:26:25
  • dallasjoe 2012/09/04 06:06:17
    dallasjoe
    +5
    Off not by 30% OFF BY 3000% AND you want to trust this man with 1/6 of the Economy!!
  • TheTruth1313 2012/09/04 06:00:42
    TheTruth1313
    If a rule like this was actually in play, the liar in chief Obama would owe almost as much as the national debt.
  • M. Aronson TheTrut... 2012/09/04 17:32:32
    M. Aronson
    +5
    @ TheTruth1313: I guess you have no idea how ridiculous it sounds when you come out with a statement like that and don't even try to offer up proof for it. That's what Fox News does; I guess you and your ilk learned it from them. Any intelligent ADULT knows that one doesn't just make an accusation without offering some proof to back it up. The phrase "Liar in Chief Obama" is a laugh riot, especially when compared with the non-stop (!) lies that have been coming from Romney and Ryan. If you want, I can supply you with at least 3 separate, legitimate news sources that can attest to Ryan's incessant lying.
  • roman M. Aronson 2012/09/04 17:43:06
    roman
    +1
    m,I AGREE EVERY-TIME LYING RYAN OPENS HIS MOUTH A STREAM OF UNFOUNDED TWISTED LIES SPEW FORTH, I CANT EVEN LISTEN TO HIM,MITT,RUSH,THEY ALL CANT TURN IT OFF LONG ENOUGH TO GET ANY WORK DONE, case in point their job on supporting the president to ease the inflation of America 08-12 who said what when to anyone
  • TheTrut... M. Aronson 2012/09/08 07:14:03
    TheTruth1313
    If you are still oblivious to that FACT that obama is a lying socialist failure, the only joke here is you. I have neither the time nor the need to, once again, provide the proof that has been clearly posted time after time of obama's incessant lying. The unjust socialist obama care tax(and, yes, it is a tax) is chock full of lies and items that your idol seems to have attempted to cover up.
    Btw the way, I don't watch Fox news either.
    Now, my advice to you would be to wake up from the delusion and help get obama the hell out of office.
  • mich52 2012/09/04 05:49:52

2014/07/28 12:25:08