Parents Want Baby to Grow Up Genderless: Progressive or Pathetic?

The Big Question 2011/05/31 13:29:48

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13581835

• Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/05/31 15:07:46
    Pathetic
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +18
    I can respect parents that don't want their little girl wearing only pink or their little boy wearing only blue. A little bit of gender neutrality is a good thing -- not all little girls need to play with dolls, not all little boys need to love dinosaurs, bugs, or trucks.

But I've read about this baby in the link (his/her name is Storm) and the grandparents don't even know if they have a granddaughter or grandson. That is taking the concept of gender-neutrality WAY too far.

• jool jool 2011/06/01 02:09:16
    jool
    +2
    PS, they are probably thinking about writing a book. Just shameful.
  • Teancum79 2011/06/01 01:57:06
    Pathetic
    Teancum79
    +2
    Take about forcing your kid to have identity issues.
  • KingdomNow 2011/06/01 01:51:12
    Pathetic
    KingdomNow
    +6
    Maybe they should name it Pat.

pat
  • conservyT KingdomNow 2011/06/01 04:36:28
    conservyT
    +1
    Ha Ha Ha!!!
  • NYC Firedog 2011/06/01 01:32:33
    Pathetic
    NYC Firedog
    +1
    THE WAY YOU PHRASED THE QUESTION WAS PATHETIC! And leaving only two vile options.

Who the F are YOU to judge them?

I say Neither. I'm a rock-ribbed conservative. But this poor child has no clearly identifiable gender, so the parents-instead of inflicting the WRONG nature on the child, are waiting to see which way this child will lean.

Have some compassion on these parents! They're doing the best they can in a heart breaking situation. And this heartless judgement of them is adding to it.
  • A Carpe... NYC Fir... 2011/06/01 02:41:15 (edited)
    A Carpenter
    +2
    I read the article too man, and I saw no place in there where the childs gender was in question. the gender is merely being kept secret by the parents.
    The child is not an Hermaphrodite, or that WOULD have been news.
    In fact, if the child WAS an hermaphrodite, I'd be behind the parents %100
  • NYC Fir... A Carpe... 2011/06/01 03:09:43
    NYC Firedog
    +1
    I read another article on this child, and was given to understand that there IS some medical anamole to this.

IF this is just some weird new agey gender identity / Social programming BS, I'm with you. THAT is abuse!
  • A Carpe... NYC Fir... 2011/06/01 03:21:11
    A Carpenter
    if you can, link it plz.
  • NYC Fir... A Carpe... 2011/06/01 03:25:46
    NYC Firedog
    It was last week. I don't know if I'll be able to locate it again. But I'll try.
  • NativeNH1 NYC Fir... 2011/06/01 02:50:49
    NativeNH1
    Huh??
  • Scott 2011/06/01 01:18:57
    Pathetic
    Scott
    +2
    This is not just stupid , it's PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL STUPID ! I thought about this for awhile ( a short while ) and this should be a form of child abuse . Raising your kid to question their own identity and leave them confused about who they are is abuse .
  • Nuke 2011/06/01 01:17:26
    Pathetic
    Nuke
    +2
    It's getting sick, all this gender crap, guys are guys and women are women and individuals are themselves.
    If a girl is more tomboy then fine and I've known a few effeminate guys in my life {They are straight} but this whole feminization of boys and blending genders is sickening...
    If someone is the way they are it's one thing and should accept people for who they are but I keep seeing parents forcing it on kids.
    This is getting bad because countries are raising a bunch of screwed up kids and kids who are wuss' because parents are over protective...
    I hate it when people take things way too far!
  • debadow Nuke 2011/06/01 05:10:54
  • Nuke debadow 2011/06/01 05:15:30
    Nuke
    +1
    Interesting...
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/01 01:12:34
    Pathetic
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I fail to see how the heck they intend to that especially when its all to obvious that the parts on boys and girls are so different. What do they intend to do take that baby down and have surgery done. that is pretty much the only that is going to happen. Someone will eventually bring that up.
  • ynnub106 2011/06/01 01:09:36
    Pathetic
    ynnub106
    +1
    im kinda in the middle the baby should have a gender but he/she doesnt need to play wear or do a certain thing because of its gender when i was a kid (which i still am but you know) i was picked on but the 'girly girls' because i was a tomboy i never played with dolls or wore pink dresses or anything and i always hung out with boys and they
    excepted me i have a friend who is the exact opposite hes a girly guy but we are best friends its all about people excepting people for who they are
  • Angelatxpatriot 2011/06/01 01:04:46
    Pathetic
    Angelatxpatriot
    +1
    No if ands or buts on this one. This is so pathetic. God I wish the stupid people would just go away!
  • DiViews2014 2011/06/01 01:03:08
    Pathetic
    DiViews2014
    +2
    Completely pathetic then you factor in the parenting of the other two children it shows they are totally stupid and should not be parents at all. These children will more likely have adjustment issues.
  • justonemom 2011/06/01 01:01:11
    Pathetic
    justonemom
    This child should be removed from the home!
  • Scooter 2011/06/01 00:39:25
    Pathetic
    Scooter
    +1
    I think it's just F***ed up!!
  • MindaBrown Scooter 2011/06/01 00:43:32
    MindaBrown
    +2
    There is alot of nuts in this world.
  • Scooter MindaBrown 2011/06/01 00:55:59
    Scooter
    +1
    That's a fact! Scary!!
  • Happy 2011/06/01 00:38:02
    Progressive
    Happy
    +2
    my parents wanted me to go into sports for most of my childhood up until 7th grade starting from kindergarten... I hated sports and in my eyes they were just unintelligent ways to entertain people and gave me no enjoyment... Does this mean i wanted to play with dolls? No i wanted to play video games and relax at home. Of course any child should be able to do whatever they want to do, most likely it is a phase and they will grow out of it, or if not it doesn't matter since that is the person they are and just accept them.
  • justonemom Happy 2011/06/01 01:03:36
    justonemom
    +5
    It is not the duty of parents to simply let the child do whatever they want to do. Children must be guided and such in all manner of activities.
  • Happy justonemom 2011/06/01 02:08:03
    Happy
    +1
    yes guided to have good qualities like respect but not on things they like to do like forcing boys to play sports and girls to play with dolls ect.
  • NativeNH1 Happy 2011/06/01 02:55:16
    NativeNH1
    The subject is: Are you male or female? Females can be tomboys and boys might like cooking or playing tea party. That, however is not the issue. The "It" child is!
  • Happy NativeNH1 2011/06/01 19:33:10
    Happy
    well in a way im saying neutrality is good and okay to a certain extent......
  • NativeNH1 Happy 2011/06/01 21:22:51
    NativeNH1
    +1
    True, but not to the extent of being an "It."
  • justonemom Happy 2011/06/03 13:53:06
    justonemom
    forcing someone to play a sport when they don't wish to play has nothing to do with gender neutrality, and what does that have to do with keeping the sex of the child secret?
  • Ron Han... justonemom 2011/06/03 17:57:37
    Ron Hanforth
    +1
    You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
    and He bends you with His might
    that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    so He loves also the bow that is stable. - Kahil Gibran
  • υяsυℓα ... Happy 2011/06/01 02:40:24
    υяsυℓα  vεηgεαηcε ►нαя∂ cσяε sтяαιgнт ε∂gε◄
    +2
    I agree with all your points. Little boys and little girls shouldn't be forced to do activities they don't want to do simply because it fits gender roles.

However, the gender neutrality of this child isn't a personal phase; it's parents are raising it- forcing it- to be that way. Going along with your points, the child shouldn't be gender neutral if it doesn't want to be. But the sad part is, is that it's too young to understand right now.
  • ReconMarine~PWCM*AVA*BTTB*JLA* 2011/06/01 00:35:57
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/06/01 00:23:08 (edited)
    Progressive
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
    Is no one business of the baby sex
  • NativeNH1 ★~Docto... 2011/06/01 02:57:03
    NativeNH1
    So, when the child goes to preschool, he or she is just an "It?"
  • Broddy 2011/06/01 00:23:08
    Pathetic
    Broddy
    Pathetic only because it made the news and the blogs.

Personally i could care less as long as the child is safe and unharmed by the parents choices, same freedom that allows pathetic nut case KKK Members brain wash there children into new generation Neo-Nazi's.
  • Willl 2011/06/01 00:17:14
    Pathetic
    Willl
    +1
    Just pathetic. And if it is progressive to someone, it is as progressive as wanting ameba to declare it gender.
  • Tina 2011/06/01 00:15:53 (edited)
    Pathetic
    Tina
    +1
    These parents are messed up - it figures they are Canadian (there is another stereotype for you). They should at least let the grandparents in on the gender of their grandchild.
  • tallChristian 2011/06/01 00:07:44
    Pathetic
    tallChristian
    The only difference would be that at least with the rise of certain sexuality based issues in the US and other situations, this may not be a completely bad thing.
  • snail 2011/06/01 00:06:22 (edited)
    Progressive
    snail
    +2
    That is so awesome. I was raised to be mostly gender neutral, and still ended up liking stuffed animals and pink dresses, even though I also liked action figures and construction kits. I feel like my brother and I ended up well-rounded because of it. As long as the parents respect the child's individuality and don't try to intentionally discourage the child from acting in gender-specific ways if s/he wants to, it seems pretty much ideal to allow everyone the opportunity to live authentically as individuals, and to decide for themselves what they enjoy.

I would love to live in a world where nobody felt pressured to conform to the established traditional gender roles. It seems like the best way to find out what the real differences are between males and females, since I am sure such differences exist, despite having been exaggerated and corrupted into the current universally oppressive expectations.
  • Angelat... snail 2011/06/01 01:09:39
    Angelatxpatriot
    +3
    There is nothing wrong with not pushing dolls on little girls or trucks on little boys. But to ignore gender? I celebrate it! I love our differences, This is too extreme and just way to ridiculous, I mean I'm thinking these people are over thinking the situation, putting way too much effort into something that isn't a big deal. Male or Female celebrate, don't ignore it like these differences don't exist.

2014/10/31 19:23:27