PA mom arrested for giving her children the natural food supplement melatonin to help them sleep. Being charged with child endangerment. Do you agree with that?

tncdel 2013/08/18 01:33:47
See:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/mother-accused-giving-2-y...

I could see her being arrested for giving them drugs not prescribed by a doctor. But melatonin is a natural food supplement not harmful to health, and not only helps sleep at night, but also is an anti-oxidant and helps improve one's ability to see in the dark. See:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-melatonin-3-mg...

• yaaarrrggghhh 2013/08/18 03:21:44
    YES, she should have been arrested as they did [tell us why].
    yaaarrrggghhh
    +6
    As soon as they arrest the people who are feeding their kids amphetamines to control their daytime behavior.

• MaeKiernan 2013/09/11 18:28:08
    NO [comment as you wish].
    MaeKiernan
    Okay, I live in PA, and I can walk down to my grocery store and BUY a melatonin supplement MARKETED for children. Chewable. Grape flavored. "Zarbee's Naturals: Children's Sleep" for ages 3+. It's otc. My neighbor uses it for her kids. Maybe more "research" should be done. Definatly giving what would be an overdose for an adult to a small child is not real smart, but ARRESTED? Really? They're giving antidepressant drugs to kids these days. That I think is dangerous. Melatonin? small occasional dose? not so much. Taking parenting decisions away from parents? Very dangerous, that.
  • johngoodboy 2013/08/19 00:39:08
    NO [comment as you wish].
    johngoodboy
    +1
    She should not have gone to jail. On the other hand Melatonin is a hormone and should not give to children freely. The body should make it's own and if you keep giving melatonin it can cause a hormonal imbalance.
  • Patrick Moser 2013/08/18 20:01:01
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Patrick Moser
    +1
    she Should not be charged, but none of these so call natural supplements are not not regulated or tested by the FDA, Or anyone else. I would never give my children magic elixirs aka snake oil.
  • White P... Patrick... 2013/08/18 20:38:04
    White Panther
    +1
    It's a natural substance that your body already makes. It's not snake oil.
  • Murph 2013/08/18 17:57:31
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Murph
    +1
    You need an "other" category for your answers. This is a tough call because melatonin is a natural hormone produced in our brain, but theses kids are definitely too young to need it. If she was doping her kids just to keep them quiet, she should go to jail, but if she misunderstood the use of the drug, she maybe just needs to have someone read the label to her. She didn't look like the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  • Jackie G - Poker Playing Pa... 2013/08/18 15:06:13 (edited)
    NO [comment as you wish].
    +1
    No, but it is not wise to give children hormones (melatonin) is one. And there are side effects - what does not harm adults may cause children damage

"The most common melatonin side effects include:

Daytime sleepiness

Dizziness

Headaches

Other, less common melatonin side effects might include abdominal discomfort, mild anxiety, irritability, confusion and short-lasting feelings of depression. " http://www.mayoclinic.com/he...
  • Just me ♥ 2013/08/18 13:57:25
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Just me ♥
    +2
    I don't think she should have been arrested, but just because melatonin is a natural hormone found in the body, does NOT mean that it is not harmful. Hormones regulate other hormones and so giving melatonin to children can mess up their ovary/testes and how their body matures sexually.
  • Straud1976 2013/08/18 12:28:02
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Straud1976
    +1
    They were trying to make Vitamin C a prescribed drug up here so I'm not surprised anything natural is being demonized.
  • White Panther 2013/08/18 11:56:22 (edited)
    NO [comment as you wish].
    White Panther
    +1
    Melatonin is a natural substance the body produces to allow it to sleep. It is not harmful in any way.
  • Just me ♥ White P... 2013/08/18 13:58:19
    Just me ♥
    +1
    It is to children...it will mess up the functioning of their ovaries and testes.
  • White P... Just me ♥ 2013/08/18 20:40:19
    White Panther
    +1
    Proof please
  • Just me ♥ White P... 2013/08/18 22:36:55
  • White P... Just me ♥ 2013/08/19 03:30:03
    White Panther
    See above.
  • tncdel Just me ♥ 2013/08/19 09:46:13
    tncdel
    Note the caveat included in the mayo report that gives them an escape route, where they admitted that it hasn't been studied thoroughly enough to come to concrete conclusions about it.
  • White P... Just me ♥ 2013/08/19 03:29:49
    White Panther
    There is no conclusive proof that it "will mess up the function of their ovaries and testes."
    You have jumped to a conclusion.

"Another concern about using melatonin for children is that its effects on the body go beyond sleep. It also plays a role in the way a person's body matures sexually. Melatonin levels have an impact on how the ovaries and testes function. Further study is needed to determine if taking melatonin during childhood or the teen years can have an impact on a person's sexual development."
  • Tordgaard 2013/08/18 11:43:21
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Tordgaard
    +1
    No. This makes little if any sense.
  • LVslotdoc 2013/08/18 09:42:29
    NO [comment as you wish].
    LVslotdoc
    +2
    Yet it's okay to give children FDA approved drugs that make them glow-in-the-dark. A small dose of melatonin is probably less harmful than a small dose of children's Robitussin
  • Tom 2013/08/18 09:15:11
    Tom
    +2
    My first thought was to say no, but the article notes that the woman gave the kids 4 times the usual dose and that when police arrived they were unable to wake the children.
  • Walt 2013/08/18 08:56:33
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Walt
    +3
    The cousin who reported this to the police comes across as a mentally challenged halfwit, referring to the melatonin as "sleeping pills."
  • ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿ 2013/08/18 08:23:55
    NO [comment as you wish].
    ✿✿✿RoseD1st✿✿✿
    +2
    That is insane!
  • TheTruth1313 2013/08/18 06:58:34
    NO [comment as you wish].
    TheTruth1313
    +2
    Who are the morons that are behind this?
  • Yami no KoHime 2013/08/18 05:47:30
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Yami no KoHime
    +2
    What the, how is that harmful?
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2013/08/18 04:33:51 (edited)
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    What's OK for adults isn't necessarily OK for kids. They have enough with all the ritalin they're taking. Arresting her was a little much, though. Found this while looking up Melatonin:

http://www.wdam.com/story/218...
  • Jeff Peewee ... 2013/08/18 19:31:24 (edited)
    Jeff
    That's an informative link. I read also that in adults the recommendation is to use this for two weeks only.

I think if parent's could pry their children away from computers, electronic games and devices, and the TV and get them outside swimming, bike riding, playing, and running, that would help. The pressure in public schools and the tons of repetitive homework creates unnecessary stress too.
  • Peewee ... Jeff 2013/08/18 21:03:51
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Exactly. That and all the sugary and salty garbage they eat.
  • Jeff Peewee ... 2013/08/18 21:31:01 (edited)
    Jeff
    +1
    and those GMO foods. I, my friends, my son, and my grandsons never have or had trouble sleeping when we were growing up.
  • Peewee ... Jeff 2013/08/19 00:47:29
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I never did either! Still don't, except when my arthritis flares up. I hate to tell you this but gmo is in just about everything you buy that isn't fresh.
  • Jeff Peewee ... 2013/08/19 01:06:05 (edited)
    Jeff
    +2
    I agree, if it's not from a farmer's market from an actual grower, it's not all that safe. I believe all of our food is GMO or is tainted in some other way except the farmer's markets.
  • Peewee ... Jeff 2013/08/19 01:12:59
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Unfortunately grocery chains need to plan on X amount of produce, and it often can't be found in quantity locally. Although Meijer, a MI based store (high class walmart) makes a point to buy as much locally as possible. In these parts, farmers markets are popping up all over and there are a lot of Amish selling produce and baked goods, which are to die for. When times get really tough, like they're going, there's going to be a lot more bartering. Pity the city folks.
  • Texas Johnny 2013/08/18 04:24:10
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Texas Johnny
    +4
    My youngest daughter took melatonin to sleep better. It helped a lot.
  • Jeff 2013/08/18 03:57:16 (edited)
    NO [comment as you wish].
    Jeff
    +3
    Something that an adult takes is not necessarily good for children. Children usually sleep very well without ANY supplements. If a child can't sleep. the parent needs to take them to a doctor. If children has arthritis, it can worsen it.

Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland, but thanks to the government adding fluoride to the water these glands are shrinking. The number of diagnoses of ADHD, the fake disease that shows up on no medical tests or screenings, allow doctors to prescribe Ritalin to children. Some children become near zombies and this can be a very addictive drug. It increases the chance of kidney and liver problems as adults.
  • SteveMa... Jeff 2013/08/18 04:20:12
  • Jeff SteveMa... 2013/08/18 04:24:37 (edited)
    Jeff
    +3
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're alright now.
  • SteveMa... Jeff 2013/08/18 04:30:40 (edited)
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +5
    Yeah I survived. However who knows the damages done to me though. I mean they had me on all kinda meds. My mother did her best for me but she believed all their non sense. Finally she pulled me outta all that crap. After I crashed to the point I was barely human anymore. She finally told the docs to Foff and things got better. Took a while though. Those meds actually played a part in messing up my military career.
  • Jeff SteveMa... 2013/08/18 04:39:36 (edited)
    Jeff
    +1
    That's a shame. I had thought until I read your post, that this was a fairly new diagnosis and that the only drug for it was Ritalin.

I knew a woman who had a drinking problem. She said she'd take her son's Ritalin and she'd get a "high" on it. I thought it was a sedative drug, but I guess it works differently on different people or she was lying.

If someone was fidgety in school and got in minor skirmishes out of boredom or whatever, back when I was in school, they'd decide they weren't into academia and found out their interests. Then they'd go to shop classes and others and work/study/ apprentice programs, so they could he happy and learn what they were interested in. Some quit and headed to Beauty Schools.
  • SteveMa... Jeff 2013/08/18 04:51:55
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +3
    They tried over 6 different pills on me. It was a wild ride. Literally I was a test subject for adhd and add disorders all because I was a energetic kid. Had a lot of energy to burn. They signed me up for a military class rotc and I burned off that energy lol.
  • Jeff SteveMa... 2013/08/18 17:47:47
    Jeff
    +1
    I'm glad they changed their mind and headed you into something more positive. I am kind of a high energy type person. They used to call it an "A" personality. LOL Another label.
  • SteveMa... Jeff 2013/08/18 18:58:36
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    Hell now a days I am weak and barely able to move at times. I get so tired and weak.
  • Jeff SteveMa... 2013/08/19 01:43:20
    Jeff
    +1
    Aww that's really sad. No one should have to go through that. I hope you start having some really good days. Take care Steve.

Thank you for your service in the Marines.
  • White P... SteveMa... 2013/08/18 12:01:16
    White Panther
    +1
    I'm surprised they allowed you in the military. Most people that have taken the drug are rejected. Thank you for your Service.

2014/08/21 12:16:44