Organized Crime in the 1920's and 1930's

Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET 2012/07/03 17:29:44
Prohibition Caused a Upward Stream of Violence and Organized Crime
No; Other

What a time the 1920’s was, with the party atmosphere it was certainly a time of great criminal activity, with the prohibition laws in America and the world in an economic depression.

The people turned more and more to criminal activity, organized criminals such as the American mobsters and European crime syndicates thrived, most common people looked upon these organizations as heroes.

Criminals like Al Capone, Bonnie and Clydeand John Dillinger were headliners of the era.

Jobs were scarce and people needed to provide for their families, gangsterism was dangerous but provided an easy way to make money. When the American government passed the Eighteenth amendments outlawing alcohol, people who enjoyed a drink became criminal for doing so.

It was organized crime who supplied the booze. In January of 1920 the American government banned the sale and supply of alcohol, the government thought that this would curb crime and violence, prohibition did not achieve it’s goals, leading more toward higher crime rates and excessive violence.

Alcohol was seen as the devil advocate and banning the substance would help improve the quality of American lives. It caused an explosive growth in crime with more than double the amount of illegal bars and saloons operating than before prohibition.

The government set up the "Federal Prohibition Bureau" to police prohibition, this did not deter people and organized crime continued to be the main supplier of booze.

With a large coastline it was almost impossible to police with only five percent of alcohol ever being confiscated.

Bribing government officials was common, and people were ever increasingly crafty in the way they would hide the alcohol, in hollowed out canes, false books and hip flask. Violence on the streets increased as did unemployment.

The closure of all alcohol related industries was the main reason behind increased unemployment, hard working Americans suddenly were drinking a banned substance.

Police resources used to fight other crime were diverted to the prevention of alcohol consumption.The Criminal gangs that supplied the booze and were ruthless with over inflated prices, often fighting each other for control of the trade. A whole black market was created around alcohol.

The quality of alcohol was poor and many people became sick, deaths from alcohol poisoning rose 400%, people will argue that alcohol was less easily obtainable before prohibition since the bootlegging industry was so immense, you could purchase alcohol on almost any street in America, many home products were of poor quality however people were very inventive about the making of home alcohol.

Although a great idea in concept, prohibition was ultimately a failure; the public grew less respectful of the law. Drink driving increased and public drunkenness also increased.

After thirteen long years the government finally sore that prohibition was not working, it had infact created more of a problem than it solved, finally the government abolished the prohibition laws.

Crime decreased and the criminal element was taken out of the industry, organized crime in the 1920's flourished in America because of prohibition and they did not stop there, after the prohibition era they simply went on to other markets with their new found wealth.

Had prohibition never happened organized crime syndicates may not have become so wealthy or powerful.

prohibitionnbspera simply markets wealth prohibition organized crime syndicates wealthy powerful

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/miron.prohibition.alcohol

Organized Crime prohibition gang 1930 s shootingsOrganized Crime prohibition gang 1930 s shootingsOrganized Crime shootings1930 s

• Melizmatic 2012/07/03 17:47:12 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +8
    Prohibition did nothing but make a lot of real criminals rich, and get a lot of other people killed.

al capone

dutch Schultz

lucky luciano

1930 s gangsters

1930 s crime

• Dolly 2012/07/11 17:02:30
    Dolly
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/07/04 22:15:48
    **StarzAbove**
    +4
    It was a sad era in our Nation's history.
  • NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE... 2012/07/04 21:54:47
  • Latti I... NEVER F... 2012/07/04 22:08:10
  • NEVER F... Latti I... 2012/07/05 01:24:13
  • **Starz... NEVER F... 2012/07/04 22:12:48 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    They didn't have McRib sandwiches back in those days. They didn't have McDonalds.

Sounds like you eat a lot of the McRibs yourself. Guess that's your favorite sandwich.
  • NEVER F... **Starz... 2012/07/05 01:30:00
  • littleb... NEVER F... 2012/07/05 01:42:45
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +2
    No wonder you have issues! You eat crap! You should probably get something that has some amino acids and enzymes so your sick little brain may one day fire on all cylinders!
  • Playerazzi 2012/07/04 12:12:38
    Playerazzi
    +2
    Sure. It was a mistake, and the beauty of it is that we could make the mistake, and later fix it.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/07/04 07:09:03
    No; Other
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +5
    They produce some good car chases. chasing moonshiners cars lol kidding
  • Latti I... elptrek... 2012/07/04 14:04:48
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    lol!!!!
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/07/03 21:46:43
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +3
    That's how the Kennedys got their money. My Grandfather was a bookie, I'm not sure at what time but my guess is the 40's. He made enough extra money to buy a summer get away for his 9 children. People did desperate things to provide for their families.
  • TheCouchF*cker 2012/07/03 20:26:04
    TheCouchF*cker
    +3
    Whenever the government bans something that everyone wants, it will create a black market to meet demand. Those that supply it have only one way to protect their investment; violence. Prohibition does not work and creates violence.
  • TasselLady 2012/07/03 20:02:47
    TasselLady
    +3
    As soon as you "prohibit" something, automatically it's more attractive to the crooks. We've seen that example many many times in organized crime syndicates.
  • Tinka123 2012/07/03 19:09:56
    Tinka123
    +3
    This is the one thing govt. is exceedingly proficient at - using law to create the very problems they then demand more law to resolve. It's a wicked wicked cycle - and it is not by accident.
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/07/03 19:06:27
    No; Other
    BlackwinterG36C
    +2
    Organized crime has been around longer than america. The Triad (oldest) and La Cosa Nostra (oldest western) were around long before Columbus. The reason it got so bad was because of corruption and that the FBI was still in its infancy. Before the FBI cops had to stop chasing the crooks once they crossed state lines or jurisdiction limits. Prohabition was just a bad law that everybody was braking at the time.
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/07/03 18:02:23
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +6
    The Original DRIVE BY shooters!!!
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/07/03 18:00:33
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +5
    Yes it most certainly did. It also deprived the government of valuable revenue much needed during the Great Depression! Many after making their wealth from bootlegging along with other "investments" moved their families efforts into politics!

joseph kennedy
  • Latti I... littleb... 2012/07/03 18:03:15
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +7
    Question L; if people know this part of history, why do some call Black Americans naturally violent when the crime rate started to rise because of prohibition towards drugs? In addition to the gang violence that was created in the 80's due to it.
  • Franklin Latti I... 2012/07/03 18:24:58
    Franklin
    +2
    sorry kid , you are free to pick and chose what way you want to edit and spin the truth into a lie to teach your kids that they are not wrong in spite of the results of their worship of violence and drugs ...but you can no longer poor that liberal filth into the public education system , its time for a CHANGE , its time for a REVOLUTION its time to undo 40 years of liberal damage !
  • Latti I... Franklin 2012/07/03 18:29:11
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +6
    Come off it; the War on Drugs have created gang violence that wasn't there previously. Sorry gramps, but you can choose to be ignorant once more if you choose to. The point is; most cities crime rates have gone down from the boom area of the 80's. New York, LA etc...

The two cities where the War on Drugs hit the hardest have higher crime rates and gangs. In addition the majority of Black and Latino males who are going to prison is due to non violent crimes, but drug possession.
  • Lee The... Latti I... 2012/07/03 21:49:08
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +3
    I would say the majority of people are in ther for none violent drug related crimes.
  • Tinka123 Franklin 2012/07/03 19:35:44
    Tinka123
    +3
    How many people shoot at each other in the streets over the sale of alcohol? Just out of curiosity...
  • littleb... Latti I... 2012/07/03 19:41:16
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    By the way LaLoGe....I like that many of your polls like this are well researched and informative! I may not always agree with how you might see things but at least I know you thought about the view!

Humans are naturally violent is how I have to start this. Many years ago when I watched "Boyz in the Hood" there is a part where the father figure (Played by Lawrence Fishburn) talks about "Gentrification". This intrigued me! And although maybe a tad overblown to my amazement there was some truth to it. The idea that a group could be made in a locality to destroy itself and the property values by being given substances of uncontrollable desire and make vast cash wealth during it is beyond evil but at the same time brilliant!

My family has deep roots in the area known as South Central LA. My Mom graduated from Fremont High my Pop Manuel Arts. My Pop about 1939 my Mom 1943. Both would have told you it was a very integrated area before the war and that during the depression there was much more time spent just getting by then worrying about who was living next door. After the war they were in LA on and off as my Pop made more money being based in NY flying to Europe and as far as Egypt, Israel & India. They moved back here permanently in 57 with there 1st totally adorable baby son to ...

My family has deep roots in the area known as South Central LA. My Mom graduated from Fremont High my Pop Manuel Arts. My Pop about 1939 my Mom 1943. Both would have told you it was a very integrated area before the war and that during the depression there was much more time spent just getting by then worrying about who was living next door. After the war they were in LA on and off as my Pop made more money being based in NY flying to Europe and as far as Egypt, Israel & India. They moved back here permanently in 57 with there 1st totally adorable baby son to nearby Suburbia. They were horrified at the changes in the old Hood. Not so much the Demographics but the continuation of depression like times as by this time they and their friends are doing well. At the same time growing up in upper class suburbia I can assure you there was no shortage of illegal drugs or the cash to buy!

All that and I really have no answer beyond where I started this. Humans of all persuasions are violent and many will prey on who they see as weaker.
  • Lee The... Latti I... 2012/07/03 21:48:01
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +3
    Thats crazy to think people are born violent. It's a learned behavior or mental defect....I think.
  • **Bessie** 2012/07/03 18:00:00
    **Bessie**
    +5
    It sure did. My grandfather made his own (and sold) from his own corn fields. Word was it was delicious...wish I could've tried some!
  • Franklin **Bessie** 2012/07/03 18:26:35
    Franklin
    +2
    LOL- now don't be lazy Bessie....find grand dads recipe and I will make you up a batch !
  • **Bessie** Franklin 2012/07/03 18:30:10
    **Bessie**
    +2
    It's lost! We've tried! Mom just remembers the activity in the cellar...she was a wee little one there. She learned about it much later!! :)

I would share with you!!!
  • j2 **Bessie** 2012/07/04 01:20:58
    j2
    +3
    Well - go down in the cellar and look on the back of the old playboy calendar.

cellar playboy calendar
  • **Bessie** j2 2012/07/04 14:36:25
    **Bessie**
    +3
    LOL! Was Playboy around in the 1910's??? :)
  • j2 **Bessie** 2012/07/04 18:37:20
    j2
    +3
    1953 was the initial issue. Prohibition ended in '33 (Thank you Wiki)
  • littleb... **Bessie** 2012/07/03 19:27:06
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +3
    Bessie pass me that preserve jar will ya?
  • **Bessie** littleb... 2012/07/04 14:36:37
    **Bessie**
    +3
    Absolutely!!
  • littleb... **Bessie** 2012/07/04 22:27:20
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +3
    Hahaa....Thanks Bessie....I'll toast the Independence of this great Nation!

http://nickpalmby.typepad.com...
  • **Bessie** littleb... 2012/07/05 15:28:54
    **Bessie**
    +2
    You're welcome!!! :)
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/07/03 17:56:23
  • Latti I... mk, Sma... 2012/07/03 17:57:01
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    Yup; agreed.
  • Franklin mk, Sma... 2012/07/03 18:29:15
    Franklin
    +3
    yea that would be awesome ...as we all know the countries that have legal drugs are super RICH RICH RICH RICH RICH RICH...right ? right? It just can't be that they are welfare hell holes with problems of their own that we would be buying into blind if we fall for this BS
  • Latti I... Franklin 2012/07/03 18:30:02
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +5
    Portugal is doing great with their crime rates after decriminalizing it.
  • mk, Sma... Franklin 2012/07/03 18:31:42

2014/07/22 15:04:19