Oregon Bans Native American Mascots: Should More States Do the Same?

The Oregon Board of Education has spoken. Public schools in the state must discontinue the use of Native American mascots by July 2017—or risk the loss of state funding.

The new regulation, which bans the use of Native American names, symbols, or images as school mascots, is being described as the toughest and most far-reaching of its kind. According to Oregon officials, Wisconsin is the only other state with a similar ban, though their policy is far less stringent. In Wisconsin, if complaints are made, schools must prove that their mascots do not promote discrimination, harassment, or stereotyping.

Fifteen Oregon high schools, and an unknown number of elementary and middle schools, are impacted by the new policy. Names specifically prohibited include “Redskins,” “Savages,” “Indians,” and “Braves.” Schools that use the name “Warriors” will be allowed to continue doing so, as long as they abandon any graphics associated with Native American tribes, customs, or traditions.

The state school board considered eight hours of public testimony and 700 written comments (400 in favor and 300 against) before voting 5-1 to accept the new policy. Individuals against the regulation argued in favor of maintaining longstanding community traditions and avoiding expensive changes in a time of tight public budgets. They also claimed that in some cases the mascots were intended as respectful tributes.

However, the state schools superintendent, Susan Castillo, argued that “intent is not enough.” She added, “We need to focus on what the impact is on our kids.”

And according to Se-ah-dom Edmo, an educator at Lewis and Clark College who testified in favor of the ban on behalf of the Oregon Indian Education Association, the impact is definitely not positive on Native American students.

“If you were like me and grew up here in Oregon and played opposing these schools that had Indian mascots, there was harm that was done there,” she said. “I think they were intending to honor native folks, but any time that you objectify a person or stereotype a group of people, which is really what the mascots did, it ceases to become a truth about them. The broader psychological impacts show lower self-esteem for native students and poor race relations.”

So SodaHeads, what do you think about Oregon’s ban on Native American mascots? Should more states do the same?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• Crimson 2012/05/21 23:31:48
    Crimson
    When I see Vikings or the Patriots, I don't think discrimination. I have seen Native American mascots and I think it shows spirit and power of the school body than harassment. Native Americans are cool people. People pick mascots based how it will represent the school or show team spirit and basically that decision is made based off of which animal is the one that shows more power and awesomeness or which group of people is awesome and people are actually proud of being a under a specific mascot.
  • wildbill Crimson 2012/05/22 00:24:13 (edited)
    wildbill
    I don't think we are talking about Vikings or Patriots. What about a Characture of a Native American with the team name "Savages?"
    As a Native American I resent our culture and rituals being trivialized by being used as mascots. People that absolutely know or care anything about us are slapping their mouths and hooting as they do what they think are war dances without a clue about war dances.

We are not Indians. The Spanish called us that because when they landed here they were lost and confused. Thinking they had found a short cut to the Indies, they called us Indians. Asking US what our names are might have shown some respect. Many Nations died off so quickly from their diseases that we will never KNOW what their names were.

Interchange the name of any race with the Indians and it immediately becomes clear that we can not have teams called The Nevada Negroes, The Atlanta Asians or The New York Jews.

Would THAT show discrimination?

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • Solomon... wildbill 2012/05/22 15:03:47
    Solomonster
    +1
    Hello Wildbill.
    I will abandon my silly sodahead name for the sake of this conversation. I am Solomon Leo George. Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde roll# 1026. I was named after Solomon Riggs, the last Cheif the Umpqua's had before the signing of the the treaties that put us on this reservation. I was born & raised here on this reservation territory, & still reside here. You & I have very differing opinions about this matter. So I thought since I was so open about my Oregon native background I was hoping you would be willing to do the same. After all, you did post "As a Native American..." & then continued to explain your protest against the notion of having a "Savage" or a "Brave" for a mascot. While I on the other hand love to wear my "Redskins" hat & "Indians" jersey.
    See, you finished your comment with "Would that show discrimination?" & since no one seems to have answered you yet, I will.

Only if you choose to see it that way.
  • wildbill Solomon... 2012/05/22 19:56:13 (edited)
    wildbill
    I respect your opinion, Solomon.
    Meet my Great Great Great Grandfather Chief of the Apukshunnubbee District Choctaw Nation, Chief George Harkins.
    As Choctaw we are, what is known today, part of the five civilized tribes. The Choctaw are decendants of the Mississippi mound builders. Maybe you have heard about us from our removal by Andrew Jackson known as the Trail of Tears.
    Must leave now but will discuss mascots later.
  • Solomon... wildbill 2012/05/22 20:09:46
    Solomonster
    +1
    Cool. Of course I have heard about it. But being given that link was still very interesting & informative.
  • Jayfeather 2012/05/21 23:12:18
    Jayfeather
    What's wrong with having Native American mascots?
  • wildbill Jayfeather 2012/05/22 00:30:32 (edited)
    wildbill
    What is wrong is a complete lack of respect. We are NOT INDIANS or SAVAGES.
    The Spanish called us Indians because they were lost and confused.

Anything wrong with that?

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • Jayfeather wildbill 2012/05/22 22:52:10
    Jayfeather
    +1
    No, you are right. The Spaniards were the real savages, killing everyone, even when you welcomed them with open arms. Then we have good ol' America killing your people for land. Nowadays, almost everything we do related to the Native Americans is to make up for all the terrible things we did. I can totally understand being against names like Redskins, Savages, and Indians. But names like the Warriors and the Braves? That sounds like respect to me. What do you think?
  • wildbill Jayfeather 2012/05/24 00:49:26
    wildbill
    I agree that there certainly are some mascots more offensive than others.
    Here are some examples.
    https://encrypted.google.com/...

May I ask a different question? Why are Native Americans singled out as mascots?
    Would a mascot with black face paint and white gloves doing a tap dance be more or less offensive than a mascot with "war" paint doing a "war" dance?

What is your opinion?
  • Jayfeather wildbill 2012/05/24 21:13:49
    Jayfeather
    Because Native Americans have always been the victim. No matter how kind they were, no matter how much they gave up, they were still mistreated unacceptably. Added to that, much of the damage done was done directly by the government. iN the case of blacks or asians, their misfortunes were only ignored. But the misfortune of Native Americans was inflamed by the government.

How would black face paint and white gloves be offensive?
  • mac9 2012/05/21 23:06:42
    mac9
    WHY???
  • Tony Cicarella 2012/05/21 22:54:26
    Tony Cicarella
    We really need to get over the politically correct crap. No matter what you do in life some person or group is going to be offended. It offends me when Bill Mahr opens his mouth so I don't watch him. If Native American Mascots offend you then don't go to a game where they have them.
  • wildbill Tony Ci... 2012/05/22 01:01:18 (edited)
    wildbill
    I am Native American.
    Am I suppose to not go to my grandchildren basketball or football games because the mascots offend me? Nobody asks US how they feel about it. When I get home should I not watch the news, or read the sport section because those same mascots are shown?
    What you are saying is that YOU are not Native American and have no respect for what we think or where we can go without being called Indians or Savages. But slapping a name on us like Savages, Pagans, or Indians was the white racist's way of justifying our extermination and the destruction of our culture. Liberals is a new one. General Custer forgot to call us Liberals when he was "offended' by the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • Tony Ci... wildbill 2012/06/05 02:42:48
    Tony Cicarella
    Yawn! Get over it. We r all Americans now. My ancestors came over from Italy and I could cry in my soup how we were called WOPs, Ginny's, and worst. Maybe I should be offended that so many Italians r portrayed as mobsters. Every ethnic group at one point or another has faced discrimination. We can correct all the wrongs of the past by political correctness.
  • wildbill Tony Ci... 2012/06/30 00:53:51 (edited)
    wildbill
    A nations history exists long after the nation is gone. There is no "getting over it."
    Racism has been in the very fabric of this nation from the very beginning. I see you understand your ancestors endured racism also.
    However, White Europeans were not exterminated by the cavalry and European diseases like Native Americans or brought here in chains as were enslaved black Americans.
    To exterminate from 80 to 90% of an ethnic group, as Americans did Native Americans, is not being politically incorrect. That is GENOCIDE. THAT is America's history then, now, and a thousand years from now.

• Tony Ci... wildbill 2012/06/30 02:02:02
    Tony Cicarella
    Hey there WildBill, wondered what happened to u there. I didn't think u were the type to let me have the last word on this. LOL. Well I'm not going to belabor the point much beyond this though. Yes what happen in the past to the Native Americans was shameful and disgusting. History is sadly full of simular acts of genocide. Slavery was another terrible chapter in our nations history. No disagreement there. But the current generation is not responsible for those evils. We try to learn from them so hopefully they don't happen again but I'm not going to spend this and the next twenty generations endlessly apologizing for a history I had no control over and cannt change. That said I think it's a great travesty that so much of the culture of the Native Americans has been lost. I'm no expert on the culture but from what I do know it was a wonderful spiritual and great culture. I'll let u have the last word on this if u choose to respond.
  • mike j 2012/05/21 22:43:12
    mike j
    This is not a question to be decided by the OBoE, the People of Oregon need to have this item discussed and put on the ballot of the next School Board Elections, if the voters want to ban it , they can , after all the money sent back to the School Districts is not the property of the OBoE, the money that the OBoE doles out came from the taxpayers statewide. So cutting off money as an extortion of the schools is outrageous. The issue of school mascot is outside the perview of the OBoE. OBoE needs to get their nose in some good school books and also insure that the teachers hired within the State of Oregon are up to the job of teaching the students of Oregon and worthy of the title of Teacher/Instructor. Get on the right job OBoE, you are out of order here.
  • Stix 2012/05/21 22:33:26
    Stix
    Oregon is so full of left winged nuts it is scary...
  • wildbill Stix 2012/05/22 03:23:17 (edited)
    wildbill
    And only 1.4% of Oregon is Native American. They and their culture are of no concern of yours. Might as well just call them Indians, Pagans, Savages and left wing nuts and completely eliminate them THIS TIME.
  • Stix wildbill 2012/05/22 04:53:07
    Stix
    +1
    PC has gone way to far with the left...Braves, Indians, Chiefs, Warriors, Red Skins...all are fine with me...I have no problem with any of them.
  • Solomon... Stix 2012/05/22 15:08:53
    Solomonster
    +1
    Neither do I. Nor do I find offense in being refered to an "Indian," "Pagan," or Savage,"
    Hell, I'm all of those things! How dare you call the kennel black!
    (that last sentence was sarcasm... Which I know does not always translate well here on sodahead.)
  • Thom Payne 2012/05/21 22:20:09
    Thom Payne
    +1
    As a resident of the State of Oregon, I want to say that this is nonsense. Where does it stop?

Last year the Aloha Warriors won the state football championship. That 'Warrior' mascot depicts a native Hawaiian islander. Does that mean they have to change their mascot as well?

Aloha Warriors

Do Hawaiians find this offensive?

When I moved here and found the university mascots were Beavers and Ducks, I just shook my head. Just more reason to shake, I suppose.
  • carl 2012/05/21 21:38:25
    carl
    +1
    I really don't think they are meant to be offensive.
  • wildbill carl 2012/05/22 00:52:29
    wildbill

Would there be anything offensive about it?

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • carl wildbill 2012/05/22 02:50:23
    carl
    +1
    The Nevada caucasians doesn't upset me in the least nor does the Washington crackers. People just need to stop being such crybabies. Man up!
  • wildbill carl 2012/05/22 03:39:52
    wildbill
    Whatever.
  • Flamdingo wildbill 2012/05/23 23:04:06
    Flamdingo
    Hey I like the "Virginia Honkies" or the "Goerga Crackers" or maybe the "West Virginia White Boys" whineing Wild Bill grow a set.
  • wildbill Flamdingo 2012/05/24 00:11:36 (edited)
    wildbill
    Honkies, white boys, and Virginia whinners, are not ethinic groups. But you would have to use your brain instead of your balls to know that. There is no reason for you to take any pride in American racism anyway.
  • Flamdingo wildbill 2012/06/23 20:07:55
    Flamdingo
    As far as I'm concerned we are all Americans ...........except maybe you.
  • Flamdingo 2012/05/21 21:35:23
    Flamdingo
    +1
    I say we ban Liberals.
  • wildbill Flamdingo 2012/05/22 01:01:06
    wildbill
    Forget respect for what Native Americans think. Just call us Indians.Savages and Liberals and ban us.
    Guess that's a little better than "The only good Indian is a dead Indian," But then General Custer would still be proud of you.
  • Flamdingo wildbill 2012/05/23 23:04:56
    Flamdingo
    If I thought I could ban Liberalism I would do it in a heart beat!!!
  • BigFig#9 2012/05/21 21:02:36
    BigFig#9
    +1
    Respectful and reverent use of Native American names and images are great. ('Savages' as a name is probably out.) I would also expect schools adopting names like this to reach out and incorporate Native American cultural awareness into their programs.

PS - As a native Scotsman I find the many 'Highlanders' nick names not to be offensive but am always amused at the American confusion of Irish and Scottish culture that seem to be rather commingled.
  • Autumn 2012/05/21 20:33:27
    Autumn
    I mean I get why they did it and how they were thinking, but it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes people overthink these things. How about instead of spending your budget on a new mascot spend some of it on cleaner bathrooms? I hate having to hold in my tinkle all day because the bathrooms are so disgusting!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/05/21 20:30:52
    Lerro DeHazel
    It's more than just "OKAY!" for The American Indian to get "high-lighted" all over the place. This is the United States of America!! Never forget THAT!! . . . . Oregon sucks!!
  • RandyScott (Party of One) 2012/05/21 20:23:34
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    This is just pain stupid. Political correctness run amuck. When are people going to quit being so thin skinned that anything and everything can be taken as an insult?
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/05/21 19:49:36 (edited)
  • Professor Wizard 2012/05/21 19:47:06
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Yea... some would say we should forget about them Indians as quickly as possible... and keeping mascot names will have us remembering them.

We have become WAY too sensitive on what you call stuff.
  • Scott B 2012/05/21 19:41:17
    Scott B
    +2
    My high school in Maine "was" called the Scarborough Redskins forever but circa 2005, the name was changed to The Red Storm. WTF is a "Red Storm?"
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/05/21 19:34:28
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    First off banning a mascot acrossed the board for dumb PC reasons is more harmful than it is helpful. Secondly, where does it stop? Calling your team the Fighting Illini, the Fighting Irish, the Cowboys, and the Vikings will all have to banned because they have racial/ethnic stereotypes that are offensive to whites less they be calling hypocrits of the racial variety. Then we'll start banning animal mascots because we often falsely represent animals. Then eventually we'll ban all mascots, team names, along with sports altogether. Then we'll have to get rid of some of our language because we've mixed Native American names/words into our language. Eventually we'll eliminate Native American culture AGAIN if this stupidity doesn't stop. That's if we don't nip PCness in the bud. Third we have to considered the cost of such a move. Native Americans are not well represented in media and yet we complain about it (and them underrepresenting other minority groups as well) and then turn around & ban the little exposure.

2014/09/02 19:08:19