Oregon Bans Native American Mascots: Should More States Do the Same?

SodaHead News 2012/05/19 21:55:01
The Oregon Board of Education has spoken. Public schools in the state must discontinue the use of Native American mascots by July 2017—or risk the loss of state funding.

The new regulation, which bans the use of Native American names, symbols, or images as school mascots, is being described as the toughest and most far-reaching of its kind. According to Oregon officials, Wisconsin is the only other state with a similar ban, though their policy is far less stringent. In Wisconsin, if complaints are made, schools must prove that their mascots do not promote discrimination, harassment, or stereotyping.

Fifteen Oregon high schools, and an unknown number of elementary and middle schools, are impacted by the new policy. Names specifically prohibited include “Redskins,” “Savages,” “Indians,” and “Braves.” Schools that use the name “Warriors” will be allowed to continue doing so, as long as they abandon any graphics associated with Native American tribes, customs, or traditions.

Native American mascot

The state school board considered eight hours of public testimony and 700 written comments (400 in favor and 300 against) before voting 5-1 to accept the new policy. Individuals against the regulation argued in favor of maintaining longstanding community traditions and avoiding expensive changes in a time of tight public budgets. They also claimed that in some cases the mascots were intended as respectful tributes.

However, the state schools superintendent, Susan Castillo, argued that “intent is not enough.” She added, “We need to focus on what the impact is on our kids.”

And according to Se-ah-dom Edmo, an educator at Lewis and Clark College who testified in favor of the ban on behalf of the Oregon Indian Education Association, the impact is definitely not positive on Native American students.

“If you were like me and grew up here in Oregon and played opposing these schools that had Indian mascots, there was harm that was done there,” she said. “I think they were intending to honor native folks, but any time that you objectify a person or stereotype a group of people, which is really what the mascots did, it ceases to become a truth about them. The broader psychological impacts show lower self-esteem for native students and poor race relations.”

So SodaHeads, what do you think about Oregon’s ban on Native American mascots? Should more states do the same?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• jaydenvdv 2012/05/19 22:13:57
    jaydenvdv
    +8
    and the fact that my state has is pathetic!
  • starlight 2012/05/19 22:11:04
    starlight
    +3
    everybody gets stereo typed, people are always going to have something mean to say if its about age, race, gender, political views. Everybody heavily stereo types us mexicans.
  • Cal [SH-TEA] 2012/05/19 22:07:55
    Cal [SH-TEA]
    +29
    Why exactly? Are we going to ban vikings, patriots, cowboys, and broncos next? Dumbest thing ever.
  • caius m... Cal [SH... 2012/05/19 23:33:30
    caius madison
    +7
    No doubt, then P.E.T.A. can ban using the bulldog emblems that are common too because they stereo type a beloved breed of dog...... then we're all PC and pissed off.
  • jgh57 Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 01:32:08 (edited)
    jgh57
    +7
    Amen. My High School in Mississippi was the Indians. It was named after the Yazoo Indians as an honor. I can promise it will never change. Yazoo City Indians
  • DavidK jgh57 2012/05/20 14:21:01
    DavidK
    +3
    I can't imagine the Indians wouldn't feel honored. Its the liberals in America that take offense to everything.
  • wildbill DavidK 2012/05/20 20:57:03 (edited)
    wildbill
    +2
    As a Native American we are sure not honered by being called "Savages" and being used as mascots. We are NOT INDIANS. We have been on this continent for 25 thousand years and have never set foot in INDIA. Just because European sailors were lost and confused when landing here thinking they had found a shortcut to India THEY called us INDIANS.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why...

Interchange the name of any race with the Indians and it immediately becomes clear that we can not have teams called The Nevada Negroes, The Atlanta Asians or The New York Jews.

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • DavidK wildbill 2012/05/20 22:39:56 (edited)
  • wildbill DavidK 2012/05/21 22:54:01 (edited)
    wildbill
    What we know is that, if you were Native American you would be use to not being respected by other Americans.
    We showed respect for other people from the first time they stumbled onto our continent. Their favorite response was: "The only good indian is a dead indian."
  • DavidK wildbill 2012/05/22 03:20:09
    DavidK
    +2
    I can remember people saying that. They have been here forever, yet very few of them seem to be successful in life. Sad, but true. finally American schools gave them a reason to be proud of their heritage and they took it as an insult. These schools were proud to be called the "Braves" "Chiefs" "Indians" etc., and they took it and twisted the reality of honor and felt insulted by it. Well to Hell with the ones that took offense. I can't imagine any Viking, Cowboy, etc., taking offense. I'd feel honored to have a team named after my heritage or profession.
  • DizziNY wildbill 2012/05/22 04:52:47 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    I am so tired of this native stuff. Solutreans were here long before indians.

solutreans first

solutreans first
  • wildbill jgh57 2012/05/20 20:53:22
    wildbill
    +1
    Interchange the name of any race with the Indians and it immediately becomes clear that we can not have teams called The Negroes, The Asians or The Jews.

http://www.racismagainstindia...
  • wildbill jgh57 2012/05/20 21:42:11
    wildbill
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why...

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • Dogman Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 02:55:56
    Dogman
    +3
    Right, except that this comparison is foolish.

First of all, Native Americans should be shown some level of respect in this country. After all, this land was theirs and it was taken from them by genocide, massacre, broken treaties, etc., etc.

Secondly, Vikings, patriots, and cowboys are all roles that people chose to assume. Therefore, patriots and cowboys are the same as steelers and packers.

A bronco is a horse, so that can be compared to a bear or a lion. I may be wrong but I don't recall any members of the animal kingdom complaining.

Now, if we want to make an accurate comparison, how about a team called the Negros, or the Polaks? Maybe the Frogs? The Yids? The Mics? The Dagos? These are names that different ethnic groups find offensive - the same way Native Americans find names like "Indians" offense.
  • Cal [SH... Dogman 2012/05/20 03:43:29 (edited)
    Cal [SH-TEA]
    +3
    This is 2012. The comparison was foolish because the entire topic is foolish.
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/20 14:26:03 (edited)
    DavidK
    +2
    There is no other way to honor the Indian heritage better then displaying their logos in our schools! I have several Indian friends that were insulted by the removal of their heritage in schools. You naive, foolish liberals and your sick agenda will be gone beginning in November anyways.
    fgdfgfd
  • wildbill DavidK 2012/05/20 21:08:32
    wildbill
    During the 1960s, the National Congress of American Indians created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. They focused mainly on cartoons and movies; however their protests of sports organizations garnered the most attention.[2] The National Congress of American Indians has long been opposed to mascots that portray Native Americans in a negative light. They feel that teams with mascots such as the Braves and the Redskins perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals.
  • DavidK wildbill 2012/05/23 20:14:05
    DavidK
    They obviously don't know the difference.
  • Dogman DavidK 2012/05/20 23:59:17
    Dogman
    There are many other ways to honor the heritage of Native Americans. First of all, don't refer to them as "Indians". Second of all, placing a silly cartoon or caricature on a sweater does not honor anyone. It sounds as though your "Indian friends" are as dim-witted as you.
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/21 04:27:50
  • Dogman DavidK 2012/05/21 09:01:26
    Dogman
    +1
    Brilliant! Your reply is very well reasoned. (And we wonder why America continues to fall when compared to the rest of the academic world.)
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/22 03:25:20
  • Dogman DavidK 2012/05/23 07:51:25
    Dogman
    So, what is your point - that Obama is supposed to be responsible for every word that every person in the country says? If there's a misguided person out there I'm confident that school committee will take the appropriate action. Do you believe that no conservative has ever made an erroneous statement?
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/23 20:14:52
    DavidK
    Its sure not coming from the "LIBTARD LEFT"!
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/20 14:36:12
  • Dogman DavidK 2012/05/21 00:00:53 (edited)
  • DavidK Dogman 2012/05/21 04:29:02
    DavidK
    Not with a 1/4 witted libtard I can't. You moron.
  • Warren Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 04:10:48
    Warren
    +4
    Oh please... I agree. No kids were claiming ethnic insults when I was going to school. A team name was a team name, that was all... End of story! No one started complaining until the government and courts made the mistake of bowing down to the civil rights organizations, and allowing as little as one person's feelings to be able to dictate what happens in business, schools, the military, etc. and force often expensive, time intensive adjustments that may negatively affect the lives of hundreds, and some cases thousands of employees at these places. These people who get lawyers and start boo-hoo-ing every time they imagine the world must be out to defame them or their heritage are nothing short of selfish... "The world should change to the way I want it !" Ha! Man, grow up! No one can laugh at themselves anymore. PC has turned our Country into a pathetic, bleeding heart mess. Eventually, were gonna have football teams called the Carnations, or the Lillies so no human group can possibly be offended. These cry babies are causing unnecessary turmoil and ruining the sports world.
  • Dogman Warren 2012/05/20 11:07:32
    Dogman
    Your argument doesn't hold water. Other than the "Red Skins" there are no teams in the NFL with offensive names. Even the name "Chiefs" would probably not offend anyone, as it refers to a title. The name Red Skins is, I guess, no more offensive than the name "Darkies". Would you be OK with that name - The Washington Darkies? Could you understand if black folks took offense to that name?
  • DavidK Warren 2012/05/20 14:27:45
  • DavidK Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 14:19:22
    DavidK
    +1
    If the Liberals have anything to say about it.........
  • MrFabul... Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 17:55:16
    MrFabulous47
    It's nice to see you are so culturally insensitive and uninformed about the way Native Americans were treated by the white man soon after Europeans arrived. Granted, I think it is stupid to want to have names that are racially insensitive to something less offensive regarding our athletic teams, but then I am not looking at it from a Native American's perspective.

From the get go on Plymouth Rock, it only took a few years before the first settlers began claiming Indian lands & killing them to remove them if need be. Flash forward to the end of the 19th century and all that remained of millions of Indians who had once lived on American land where forced to live on reservations, generally located on some of the worst lands, not afforded many of the rights most citizens, horrible schooling & healthcare, and many became alcoholic as there was not must to do on the reservations, so their self-esteem and pride in their cultures began slipping away.

So while I might find it a ridiculous request, if you look at if their perspective, perhaps it is not too much to ask.
  • Cal [SH... MrFabul... 2012/05/20 20:16:58
    Cal [SH-TEA]
    +1
    culturally insensitive and uninformed? PEOPLE. IT'S 2012. GET OVER IT. This is pathetic. Yes I know the history. Wasn't right, yes, but we don't live then. We live today.
  • MrFabul... Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 22:52:49
  • Live Fr... MrFabul... 2012/05/21 16:00:14
    Live Free Or Die
    I understand your point, but what if the names were checked for sensitivity level. The name "Indian" is offensive to some or many (I don't know) but should we just throw out any reference on mascots to their cultural heritage when it's meant in a positive way too? Because if we do, that might be exclusive if we can have names like Patriots, Celtics, and Vikings.
  • wildbill Live Fr... 2012/05/21 23:06:11 (edited)
    wildbill
    +1
    I agree that we are offended by being callled Indians. You are thinking about it and THAT shows respect.
    If the Spanish had not been lost and confused when they landed here we would never have been called Indian. They did not respect us enough to even ask our names. Many nations died off so quickly from their diseases, we will never know their names.

http://www.racismagainstindia...

http://thesocietypages.org/so...
  • Live Fr... wildbill 2012/05/22 00:41:48
    Live Free Or Die
    I see, I read much of the first but couldn't open the second. I will try again. I thought some of the names were a bit much, but maybe not all. Still, if the Native Americans don't want it overwhelmingly then they have that right....They (not us) should have the final say on this, for sure (and I thought it was the white schools, not encouraged by the Natives who wanted it out), my apologies.

I noticed many Americans embrace Native culture, but don't know what it's about. I didn't know they weren't allowed to practice their own religion until 1978, but yet, it doesn't surprise me. Perhaps there are more positive ways to keep the heritage and cultural symbols in public life, but not for mascots, especially since it seems to encourage racism, a thought I had not considered before.
  • Cal [SH... MrFabul... 2012/05/23 20:19:01 (edited)
  • wildbill Cal [SH... 2012/05/20 20:51:37 (edited)
    wildbill

http://www.racismagainstindia...
  • Kent Harper 2012/05/19 22:05:49
    Kent Harper
    +9
    I don't see how it is demoralizing or racist in any way.

2014/04/17 13:03:34