On the verge of missing another $5B payment, should the US Postal Service end weekend mail delivery?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2012/09/28 19:00:00

• yaddayadda 2012/09/28 22:02:58
    yaddayadda
    +29
    Up until 2006, USPS was debt-free and profitable, or — at least — breaking even financially.

The 2006 lame-duck Congress passed a mandate requiring the Postal Service to prefund 75 years’ worth of future retiree health benefits within 10 years. No other entity — public or private — has ever been subject to such a draconian requirement. Congress created the problem, and Congress needs to fix it. And then keep their fingers OUT!

• andrew 2012/10/19 02:13:05
    andrew
    they shouldnt
  • Null_Shock 2012/10/07 16:46:32
    Null_Shock
    (clicked the wrong answer....*shrugs* I could really care less either way....But, if it prevents the postal service from laying people off, cut the weekend mail. I can wait to get my PC magazines(Linux, max PC etc.) so someone can keep their job...other than bills and random stuff I buy on the net(and that stuff usually arrives via UPS or FedEx.) I really don't get any other mail....So I'm not to worried about it.
  • MS PRUD 2012/10/05 20:36:30
    MS PRUD
    If they do not have the money to pay for all of their employees then do the same as all of the rest of America had to do and lay some off. They did not want to be in Civil Service but they wanted all of the benefits of Civil Service. They got what they wanted and now they should live with it. They have raised stamps over the past 10 years - at first they said there was too much mail for the carriers they had and they hired a whole group, then e-mail came and they said they did not have enough mail to deliver and raised stamps and they have been raising them ever since.
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/10/05 19:53:42
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Well, duh? "Snail mail" is nearly obsolete?, a lot of businesses are closed on the weekends, Christians observe Sunday as their (incorrect) holy day, Jews and Messianics and Seventh Day Adventists observe Saturday (correct 7th day=Sabbath), and what mailman wouldn't like the weekend off?

Seems like a no-brainer easy decision to me?

If you must have weekend mail service, well go to the post office or get a PO Box. Duh?

Apparently, like liberals, they want to go broke so they can get an irresponsibility bail-out, and so they can disrespect our religious beliefs.
  • Null_Shock Pronata... 2012/10/07 16:27:27
    Null_Shock
    +2
    Seriously? . . .How does the postal service disrespect your religious beliefs?
  • addie Null_Shock 2012/10/08 06:09:57
    addie
    +1
    Are you looking for an intelligent answer to that question? lol
  • Fred Rogers 2012/10/05 18:42:49
    Fred Rogers
    Congress should end the $5 billion payments. The USPS worked wonderfully until corporate puppets in Congress decided parcel delivery should be privatized.
  • sbtbill 2012/10/05 17:01:23
    sbtbill
    I get Businessweek and other important mail on Saturdays. We should return the Postal service to a full cabinet level department
  • Wolf 2012/10/04 08:31:52
    Wolf
    +1
    Weekend home delivery should have ended long ago...home delivery should alternate on week days ( 5 deliveries over two weeks) ...there needs to be major restructuring and reform of staffing levels and compensation ...the same excess operations of the Public Sector are demonstrated here and are unnecessary and costly to the taxpayers....
  • sbtbill Wolf 2012/10/05 17:05:07
    sbtbill
    We need more public service not less. Library's should be open more. We need 12 days mail delivery in 2 weeks. We need more DMV employee's. We need more teachers, We need more and newer firefighting aircraft.

Cutting government jobs increase unemployment and drives down private sector wages. Cutting government pay also drives down private sector wages. Driving down private sector wages increases bankruptcies, forecloses, and the government deficit.
  • OneLastWord 2012/10/03 19:12:54
    OneLastWord
    Yes, the post office needs to be trimmed down to a profitable size.

But, Blue-dog Democrats and unionized thinking Left-Winged Liberals and Democrats won't let go of these employees because they vote Democratic.

Even though they are sucking money out of the tax payers’ pockets and we get squat back for their services.

I don’t want to see people lose their jobs, but in the real world of companies and corporations, if your department is losing money and your services are not worth the combined salaries, they let you go.

Make money or …GET!
  • Jean 2012/10/03 15:05:30
    Jean
    There are very few people who still use the US mail for correspondence or even for bill payment - most people have gone to using automatic bill payment through their bank and they use e-mail for correspondence. Even though I have to actually go to the post office to pick up my mail, I would not be horribly inconvenienced if Saturday deliveries were eliminated. However, the postal service is continually hobbled by Congress, because our fine congress people are able to use the mail service on credit to send us their pre-election advertising, and they have a history of never paying their bills. If the post office contracted some of the 16,000 new IRS agents Obama has hired and used them for collections, perhaps they would not have as huge a shortfall.
  • dennis m 2012/10/03 06:46:12
    dennis m
    if it saves them, but i dont think ive ever gotten anything important delivered on a saturday anyway
  • mwg0735 2012/10/03 05:08:15
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/10/03 04:29:04
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    It's time to consider privatizing.
  • Flamingolady 2012/10/03 03:45:44
    Flamingolady
    +1
    This would open a can of worms and cause people to have late payments, etc. Too much of a golden opportunity for the banks to cause more havoc in people's lives.
  • sbtbill Flaming... 2012/10/05 17:06:22
    sbtbill
    Your right about that. Banks would probably always set payment dates on a Saturday.
    USPS needs to become a creature of Congress as it once was.
  • Vee 2012/10/03 02:10:27
    Vee
    No, they shouldn't ! Sometimes people get important mail on weekends too.
    The postal system shouldn't be so greedy and they wouldn't be in the mess their in.
    Sounds like someone has had their hands dipping in the till, for a long time, cause they kept increasing the rates pretty regular. And the people shouldn't have to pay more or do without their mail because their corrupt.
  • TKramar 2012/10/02 21:29:07
    TKramar
    End delivery period. Put the cost of delivery on those companies that bill customers.
  • lovelygoddess101 2012/10/02 21:28:35
    lovelygoddess101
    This is a tricky question. However, I think if they were to stop shipping on ANY days, it should be during the week since more people are off on the weekends.
  • cc 2012/10/02 20:40:37
    cc
    They could have thier special delivery service and Saturday delivery for packages and Christmas season, but otherwise it's pretty pointless.
  • Steamtrain 2012/10/02 20:37:13
    Steamtrain
    +2
    The USPS was the only business the US Government ever ran that was a complete success. This changed when it became a quasi-government business, operated by a private company. Now it's on the verge of bankruptcy. Doesn't that tell you something? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Bynnod 2012/10/02 17:52:15
    Bynnod
    As a matter of fact, they should start Sunday mail delivery.
  • mark 1 2012/10/02 14:48:46
    mark 1
    +1
    The Government should stop using Postal money for other projects.
  • Nomad58 2012/10/02 14:32:23
    Nomad58
    It's a waste of money.

In fact, home delivery did not start until the Civil War because of Post Offices issuance of stamps. Mail was delivered to the home "postage due' to reduce the trauma of new widows or mothers being notified of their husbands/sons death in a public place.
    http://www.foxbororeporter.co...

Delivery of all mail was not common until the 1890s

Confederate Mourning Cover (with stamp)
    httpwww foxbororeporter delivery mail common 1890s confederate mourning cover stamp
  • Null_Shock Nomad58 2012/10/07 19:31:20
    Null_Shock
    Not really a waste of money as it is used by almost everyone in some way If you do not send mail you will still receive it.

So? Toilets at one time where not common place....Does that mean we should stop using toilets? Also toilet paper at one time wasn't used, should we stop wiping our asses with paper and use our hands?

I'm not trying to be a prick....I'm just pointing out the flaw in your logic. I personally could care less if the cut weekend mail service or not.
  • monkeyking908 2012/10/02 14:29:38
    monkeyking908
    if they end weak end mail that would mean we have to wait longer for are stuff plus that would mean less money for the workers which means are ecconomey gets worse
  • weenyboy 2012/10/02 13:45:27
    weenyboy
    NO! .......... just raise the price. We pay amoung the lowest prices for mail delivery in the civilized world. Spend .20 more and keep the deliveries as they have always been. I remember .03 postage and delivery TWICE A DAY during the holidays!
  • DAVE-0 2012/10/02 13:22:24
    DAVE-0
    +1
    Just a few years ago the US post office was making a profit. This angered the morons in congress, so they fixed it so the profits are gone. Now to fix their fix they want to lay off 200,000 workers. Boy, that would sure help the economy. There is provision for the Post Office in the constitution. How does a so called conservative justify attacking the Mail.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/10/02 12:10:46
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    just makes sense. anyone that has ever run a business, managed a business or ever taken business mgmt courses would know this. The uneducated (in business, that is) and selfish would say otherwise. Stamps and postage in this country have been under-inflated for the longest time. any other country is nearly twice this amount (in regards to average incomes). In japan a letter is about $1 for example. either raise postage or close on the weekends.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/10/02 11:50:06
    Somkey the Hores
    +1
    HELL no.
  • DANNY59 2012/10/02 09:27:39
    DANNY59
    It's seems to me that the only mail I get on Saturday is junk mail. So yes, save your money and deliver my junk mail on Friday or Monday, or preferably not at all.
  • winz.sarandis 2012/10/02 08:12:19
    winz.sarandis
    im outraged the us government work you poor peeps on the weekend, appauling and quite disturbing
  • firozali a mulla 2012/10/02 06:01:50
    firozali a mulla
    It cost the cash , the taxpayers cash when now the mail IT sms has become very cheap End the Postal services no one miss In fact when I look at the best part , the mail not received ion Saturday or Sunday is a blessing to me Peace come Monday I will see at least my saturday and Sunday are good I thank you Firozali A.Mulla DBA these small things in life make your lives huge and better
  • Kenneth Huang 2012/10/02 05:08:59
    Kenneth Huang
    +1
    The post office doesn't work enough hours as it is. It should be open on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • jule-sy 2012/10/02 04:41:04
    jule-sy
    It's one day less to receive bills and junk mail! =D
  • mamacrash 2012/10/02 04:02:44
    mamacrash
    +1
    When I worked for the Post Office In '66 we were balancing the budget and having fun working. Fast forward 40 years and it is no longer a fully federal system and they are loosing money each day. Get a clue - stop weekend deliveries, put a wage freeze in place and if you are not earning your pay get them out of there. We were paid $3.65/hour and were making a very good living, paying $.25/gallon for gas and could get a weeks worth of food for$15 - $20. I had 3 credit cards with no balance any month and felt I could get things for my parents if I wanted to and not destroy my bank account.
  • addie 2012/10/02 02:53:59
    addie
    That is not where they are wasting money and it is hard enough living without Sunday. As bad as the service is it is better than nothing.
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/10/02 02:53:29
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Why should they? The taxpayers will bail them out. There is no reason for them to improve, restructure, or anything else. They are a perfect eample of how goverment run agencies are losers, and a drain on the tapayers.

2014/10/22 12:31:00