‘On his own’ Romney ad star took over $1 million in government loans

Samantha 2012/07/24 18:24:03
Again, we discover a Romney lie. Other than the hypocrisy of the Romney campaign, and Gilchrist's feigned outrage about a selectively edited Fox video of President Obama, the important part of this article is Gilchrist does business in America's premier socialist program, the military-industrial complex.

The up-by-his-bootstraps businessman who stars in an ad for Republican hopeful Mitt Romney seems to have built his business through government-sponsored loans, putting a dent in the campaign’s attack on President Barack Obama’s saying to business owners, “you didn’t get there on your own.”

“My father’s hands didn’t build this company? My hands didn’t build this company? My son’s hands aren’t building this company?” New Hampshire businessman Jack Gilchrist, president of Gilchrist Metal, asks in the ad that’s been making waves since last week.

Reporting by The New Hampshire Union Leader disputed this claim by looking into Gilchrist’s history, revealing that he took over $1 million in government loans since the 1980s, including $800,000 in tax-exempt bonds issued by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority to build a new manufacturing plant and buy equipment. Gilchrist also admitted to the paper that he took a U.S. Small Business Administration loan of “somewhere south of” $500,000 in the 1980s, and said that to this day about 10 percent of his business comes from defense-related projects.

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/24/on-his-own-r...

• mymoon 2012/07/24 18:48:16
    mymoon
    +1
    So in other words he is exactly what Obama was describing.
  • Samantha mymoon 2012/07/24 20:41:59
    Samantha
    Oh please, he's a hypocrite and so is Romney. I noticed you couldn't resist distorting what the president said. It's so funny when conservatives prove themselves to be liars.
  • mymoon Samantha 2012/07/24 20:47:49
    mymoon
    I am thinking you misunderstood me Samantha, I meant just that, he is a hypocrite and was exactly what Obama was saying, no matter what your not doing it on your own. What Obama said was (to paraphrase) it takes a village, we are not here alone.
  • Samantha mymoon 2012/07/24 20:49:55
    Samantha
    +2
    I'm sorry I misunderstood, and you're right. No business person makes it on his/her own alone. For one, the infrastructure, paid for by all taxpayers, assist any small business.

2014/08/21 18:02:40