OMG! The East Harlem Journal published an Article about me!!! OMG! Breathe Lizzy, Breathe!

LizMarotti 2012/02/01 11:01:44
The East Harlem Journal is happy to feature Liz Marotti, a very talented and gifted working artist, during the month of February….

“Art for me was something that chased me, it was a childhood dream, and it was something unattainable, because there were so many starving artists in NYC. In addition, I was never a realistic painter, so I always thought I was not good enough to make it. Most of my support system agreed and gave me many alternatives”, she said

So when she graduated from high school she did what every other aspiring artist would do, she went to college and majored in teaching, with a Fine Art minor and planned to become an art teacher.

However, that plan did not work out -- as she dropped out of college and began a career in sales. She was a natural sales person with a gift for gab and a great smile, so she moved up fast, but was unhappy and knew she had to take a risk and make things happen with her art.

“I would sit in my cubicle and sketch out small drawings on post it notes and hang them all over the cubicle, while I sat on the phone selling snake oil. I was very unhappy. If Langston Hughes asked me what happens to a dream deferred, I would tell him he was right, it explodes” she said with a smile.

After a series of unfortunate events in her personal life, she researched how she could sell her art on the streets.

“I found all the proper channels. I then quit my job, bought a table and began painting on T-shirts. I painted on T-shirts because I did not have the confidence yet to paint on Canvas, and I figured everyone would buy a $20 t-shirt. They did, but people would always ask if I painted on Canvas. I thought I was missing out on sales, so I did it! I did not sell anywhere near as many paintings as I did with my T-shirts, but I stopped painting t-shirts anyway because I loved painting, I loved painting more that the stability that came from the T-shirts, or a real job for that matter.”

She went on…

“What I had done essentially was I took what I loved and turned it into my own business. Not only was it a business, but a passion as well. By standing outside next to my work I learned that people connected to me, I was changing their moods and making them feel less alone through my work. It is an incredible feeling, to know that people, who don’t know you, are still touched by you! I would recommend that every young artist should do as I did, and take their work to the street. It is better than any Art class you could attend, because you get a chance to see how people really react to your work, and it does evolve...”

Today, she is finally happy with where she is, and with what she is doing… She says:

“I put passion behind every brush stroke. That is what makes any art good. I am not and never will be the best painter technically. It is not my style, and nor do I want it to be. I live out my emotions on canvas, and others relate to it. That and that alone is what make my work beautiful. Personally I am very happy about that”, she concluded.

You can find many of her work on her facebook page where she videos and captures her work. She also makes her work available and can be purchased via PayPal, or you can contact her directly and make other arrangements. She prices her work at anywhere from $150 to $250 but she is always prepared to negotiate.

We would like to thank Liz Marotti for allowing us to feature her in the pages of the East Harlem Journal and plan to bring her back in the future.

The East Harlem Journal would like to feature other young artists. If you are an artist yourself and would like to be feature, let us know; if you are not an artist but would like to recommend someone, do let us know, via email at eharlemjournal@aol.com. We look forward to featuring the next young artist. We know that you are out there and we would like to be part of your journey...

Editor's Note: The art piece featured in this story was purchased by the Educational Pledge.
------------------------------------------------

OMG! Can I call my mom? I mean it is 6 am, and she is probably sleeping... Should I call her anyway???

If you are interested in Purchasing any work from me- Follow this link-
http://www.etsy.com/shop/lizmarotti

This is a Video interview with me <3

Read More: http://www.zoomvillage.com/newsStory.cfm?newsID=2305

• carlton999 2012/02/01 11:58:21
    SO awesome Liz!
    carlton999
    +3
    Congrats. this is your time in the sun, make the best of it and use it to further your career for all its worth.

• littlebuffalo55TBA 2014/01/03 05:14:34
    YAY! I love you Liz!
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Okay....I'm late! So what? I have been well aware of your artistic talent and as such I do want you happy in your work!
  • flrdsgns 2012/02/05 15:42:40
    SO awesome Liz!
    flrdsgns
    +1
    Wow, very impressive. I just looked at some of your art on Etsy. Keep it up, you have some real talent there. I'm happy you have found a way to make a good living from your passion. You are one of the fortunate ones.
  • LizMarotti flrdsgns 2012/02/06 15:23:03
    LizMarotti
    No Where near a good living lol. but certainly a happy one!
  • flrdsgns LizMarotti 2012/02/06 15:30:05
    flrdsgns
    +1
    Happy is worth a lot.
  • LizMarotti flrdsgns 2012/02/06 20:14:09
    LizMarotti
    +1
    I agree... i went from $40,000 annually to maybe $5000, and living back in my parents house.... and i have never been more happy.
  • gr8American 2012/02/05 09:56:25
    SO awesome Liz!
    gr8American
    It is always nice to read good success stories, good look in your artistic career.
  • MO.gal 2012/02/05 05:48:32
    SO awesome Liz!
    MO.gal
    +2
    Great job, Liz!!!
    congratulations
  • James 2012/02/02 21:26:27
    Liz, you suck!
    James
    +1
    I'm just kidding. Congratulations on your "naked woman" theme ;-)
  • tooner259 2012/02/02 20:36:10
    SO awesome Liz!
    tooner259
    +1
    Good for you!
  • Pocahontas 2012/02/02 18:57:33
    SO awesome Liz!
    Pocahontas
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2012/02/02 02:59:47
    SO awesome Liz!
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    +1
    awesome!!^^ cungratz!!^^
  • Donna 2012/02/01 23:36:09
    Go Call your mom, she would want to wake up to that!!!
    Donna
    +1
    Congrats Liz ! Your gonna be famous ! You might want to check out the Tria Art Gallery in NYC, they like new artists with a theme... Good luck ! :)
  • ahhaterry 2012/02/01 22:57:00
    YAY! I love you Liz!
    ahhaterry
    +1
    I think. art is really cool. I dig me some art... and, I dig you Liz. I looked at your paintings. I'm like what? but, you're out there doing it. That means something, for sure.

I'm like all, "go girl," for you. You are like a folk musician or something...
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/02/01 21:16:13
    SO awesome Liz!
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    Congrats girl!
  • Atmara 2012/02/01 20:50:14
    SO awesome Liz!
    Atmara
    +2
    Loved your interview Lizzy gurl and your art...awesome
  • alonnastorm 2012/02/01 20:20:23
    SO awesome Liz!
    alonnastorm
    +2
    Thats great! Congratulations
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2012/02/01 19:53:20
    SO awesome Liz!
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +2
    What a great accomplishment, congratulations! :)
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/02/01 19:43:59
    SO awesome Liz!
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +2
    Congratulations!!
  • Gloria 2012/02/01 18:32:53
    SO awesome Liz!
    Gloria
    +1
    You deserve the recognition!
  • onetirednurse 2012/02/01 17:57:27
    SO awesome Liz!
    onetirednurse
  • juancho83 2012/02/01 14:00:58
    SO awesome Liz!
    juancho83
    +1
    good job liz congragulations signs
  • Jane Constant 2012/02/01 12:01:51
    SO awesome Liz!
    Jane Constant
    +1
    That's wonderful!
  • carlton999 2012/02/01 11:58:21
    SO awesome Liz!
    carlton999
    +3
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/02/01 11:27:21
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    What will she say if you *don't*?
  • LizMarotti Narcole... 2012/02/01 11:28:47
    LizMarotti
    +2
    I think i should wait til atleast 8 am.... Ekk! i am excited!

2014/10/26 00:34:32