Okay. I'm not slammin' those of you with accents, but I'm just curious as to why so many American companies who advertise on American airwaves (t.v. and radio) hire those with a British accent to try and sell their wares?

**Bessie** 2009/12/02 13:35:05

• [PRISONMOON]+[RSSH] 2009/12/02 13:40:29
    Well, it is because.....
    [PRISONMOON]+[RSSH]
    +5
    A well known fact is that the British accent has always been
    considered to sound more intelligent.

believe it or not, us Americans without " ahem accents " sound like we have a very strong accent to the british, very rough...the british accent always sounds more refined.

• Aphrodite =) 2010/02/19 18:15:12
    Well, it is because.....
    Aphrodite =)
    It because women find accents hotter, and british people do sound more capibale of being more intellegent than americans, even though i dont believe this, i think americans rock!
  • Lone soul 2009/12/05 00:26:13
    I don't know!
    Lone soul
    +1
    But I can't say it's a big deal to me, English is English.
  • **Bessie** Lone soul 2009/12/07 02:03:16
    **Bessie**
    +4
    Okay buddy! Hugs!
  • Max 2009/12/03 13:46:05
    I don't know!
    Max
    +1
    Gawdon Bennet! damn strai' skippy, its irritatin' as 'ell.
  • **Bessie** Max 2009/12/03 14:04:46
    **Bessie**
    +3
    I agree! thanks!
  • ken 2009/12/03 12:41:57
    ken
    +1
    I don't think they would want someone with my accent for advertising. I've been told I sound like a hillbilly by the yanks. Sometimes I try to type my accent, it's not as easy as it sounds. Ya'll should try it with yur accent.
  • rockindog ken 2009/12/03 12:44:47
    rockindog
    +1
    Cockney accents sound very rough if you can understand them at all ."morningovenortopofthemorni" something like that
  • **Bessie** rockindog 2009/12/03 14:05:30
  • **Bessie** ken 2009/12/03 14:05:16
    **Bessie**
    +3
    I bet I'd LOVE your accent Ken! I would prefer it, no doubt! Thanks!
  • betz 2009/12/03 11:20:13
    I don't know!
    betz
    +1
    It's true when I say I just asked my husband the same question a few days ago. While I don't have anything agiainst those with a British accent I too have noticed this. Maybe it's because we tend to look up at the screen and focus when we hear something different. Advertising execs have various ways of getting our attention. Some of the largest ad agencies have proabably spend millions on figuring out what works to sell a product and maybe this is one of those "successful" ploys. Who knows. Tally ho Bessie!!!
  • **Bessie** betz 2009/12/03 12:20:44
    **Bessie**
    +4
    I like ALL of our different "American" accents! Spot-on betz! Thanks for coming by!
  • Janatus 2009/12/03 05:56:24
    Well, it is because.....
    Janatus
    +1
    were living with them x) ( lolz im from latvia )
  • Sadie100~In God we trust~ 2009/12/03 05:35:12
    Well, it is because.....
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    +1
    Because they speak proper English!! Right on!!
  • **Bessie** Sadie10... 2009/12/03 12:21:12
    **Bessie**
    +4
    Point taken! Thanks Sadie!
  • Sadie10... **Bessie** 2009/12/14 10:39:07
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    +1
    You're welcome Bessie!!
  • sasquatchette 2009/12/03 04:57:40
    Well, it is because.....
    sasquatchette
    +1
    Sex sells!
  • Janatus sasquat... 2009/12/03 05:55:29
    Janatus
    +1
    omg o.o
  • KODA 2009/12/03 04:41:11
    Well, it is because.....
    KODA
    +2
    It catches our attention , example , Bessie asking about it :)
  • **Bessie** KODA 2009/12/03 04:55:19
    **Bessie**
    +4
    Bessie pissie about it....lol!
  • KODA **Bessie** 2009/12/03 04:59:40
    KODA
    +1
    SHAM WOW ! lol
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2009/12/03 03:35:33
    Well, it is because.....
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +2
    Well [PRISONMOON]+[RSSH] said it best and is the reason why you'd see much more people with British accents in commercials...It's kind of like sex on TV "SEX Sells". It's also the reason you see that embedded Australian on cnn in Iraq...we just love their accents and what ever he says, well we're just going to go right along with it.

There are a few more new commercials out lately with southern accents...yes like the geico pot hole talking ad or the company that makes the wonderful blood checking devise for people that have diabetes...it just sounds some cute and so homie and all american. again to sell you on the product, but now also to keep us thinking about america lone while we'll flash back to mainstream news that is spreading hatred of every other foreigner around the world.

You've got to know advertising and psychology to really understand how TV and commercials and the news work. I know advertising, it's my business as an owner of a world wide advertising agency, and I know psychology from years of studying it way back in school and I thank God I do know, because it has saved me from being duped by the mainstream news and the lies that our government has always vomited upon us.

I’m so glad too that I knew these things before going into service, because it s...

I’m so glad too that I knew these things before going into service, because it saved me from being brainwashed into hating. How it works in any branch of service is they break you down first, all the while pumping you with horrible stories (usually from the Vietnam or Korean war era) stories of how your enemy’s going to do this or that to you or your family or what has happened, so that you will start hating, hating, hating, all the while still breaking you down so you will start to depend only on your buddy and your gun and the wonderful u.s.a..

Oh well getting back to main question…sex sells, accents sells, and now southern accents sells too, but now with the southern accents, to keep us focused on the grain ole u.s.

Just asking any psychologist, they will be able to tell you how advertising works and how propaganda works. Then and only then will people realize how almost all of the mainstream media and our govenment keeps us so dumbed down. Don't get me wrong, I support all our kids in service, but I support them to get them out of occupations and feel for them because I know they've be duped.
  • **Bessie** Duke---... 2009/12/03 03:48:58
    **Bessie**
    +4
    Wow. Thanks Duke. Interesting.
  • Richie 2009/12/03 02:57:53
    Well, it is because.....
    Richie
    +1
    its a far better sound to the ears ---darling!!!
  • **Bessie** Richie 2009/12/03 03:21:45
    **Bessie**
    +3
    I must disagree! Thanks for coming by!
  • highdesertgemini 2009/12/02 23:27:26
    I don't know!
    highdesertgemini
    +1
    It makes no sense to me -- especially when they work so hard not to pick spokespeople with regional American accents!
  • **Bessie** highdes... 2009/12/03 03:22:03
    **Bessie**
    +4
    True! Makes no sense to me either!
  • highdes... **Bessie** 2009/12/04 10:57:48
    highdesertgemini
    +1
    I'm always disappointed when I travel to a different region and all of the t.v. and radio people sound just like me...
  • Namay 2009/12/02 21:57:42
    Well, it is because.....
    Namay
    +1
    I think its because its different from what we hear everyday at our jobs or at school and people enjoy it more. Like the Geico Gecko. Its not just British accents they use either though. Have you seen Geico's new commercial with the pot hole?
  • **Bessie** Namay 2009/12/02 22:44:19
    **Bessie**
    +4
    YES! I love THAT accent! Thanks for coming by Namay!
  • Namay **Bessie** 2009/12/04 21:48:27
    Namay
    +1
    I love it too! And you're welcome! ^_^
  • wpsark 2009/12/02 21:38:07
    Well, it is because.....
    wpsark
    +1
    it's different and it catches people's attention.....the Geico gecko for instance, if he talked with an East coast or southern accent, it probably wouldn't have been so popular
  • **Bessie** wpsark 2009/12/02 22:44:37
    **Bessie**
    +4
    Maybe....irritates me though!
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2009/12/02 21:13:02
    Well, it is because.....
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +4
    Well, because we're so charming. lol... I haven't a clue, actually. Perhaps they assume we know because we used to have an empire? When I was in America I found it interesting that so many children with speech impediments are in commercials. Why would you do that to a child?
  • **Bessie** Nick~be... 2009/12/02 21:16:19
    **Bessie**
    +6
    Right...they're disability was shown as cute. It's not cute for them as they get older though! Cindy Brady of the Brady Bunch was a classic example! You are charming Nicky! Thanks!
  • Nick~be... **Bessie** 2009/12/02 21:21:48
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    +3
    What is so wonderful about a lisp? I can't imagine how horrible my life would've been if I'd done commercials with the stammer I had as a child... And Drew Barrymore STILL has a lisp....
  • **Bessie** Nick~be... 2009/12/02 22:45:12
    **Bessie**
    +4
    I agree....they made it "cute"....to kids that have it I don't think it is! Thanks Nicky!
  • trainfan 2009/12/02 19:25:18
    I don't know!
    trainfan
    +1
    Couldn't begin to tell you Babe.
    I don't care for it, don't listen to them either.
  • **Bessie** trainfan 2009/12/02 20:24:53
    **Bessie**
    +3
    Good....we're thinkin' alike again! Muah!
  • trainfan **Bessie** 2009/12/02 20:26:06 (edited)
    trainfan
    +1
    99% of the time we do!
    Love you!
    Muah!
  • **Bessie** trainfan 2009/12/02 20:27:51
    **Bessie**
    +3
    OH.....what's the 1% we don't? lol

2014/10/20 13:12:44