Okay, conservatives, answer me this:

A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader 2012/07/11 03:37:11
Republicans claim that the new voter ID laws sweeping across the nation are intended to fight voter fraud and protect the integrity of our electoral system. If Republicans are genuinely concerned with fighting voter fraud, wouldn't they have rallied to end those robocalls spreading misinformation, regarding voting, such as telling them "Republicans vote on Tuesday, Democrats vote on Wednesday", "If you voted in the primary, you don't need to vote again", or "Your voting precinct has been relocated"? Because this deceptive misinformation being given out is, by definition, fraud. And if it pertains to voting, it is voter fraud. Why aren't the Republicans cracking down on this type of voter fraud?

• Mark In Irvine 2012/07/11 03:41:24 (edited)
    Mark In Irvine
    +4
    Q: " Why aren't the Republicans cracking down on this type of voter fraud?"

A: Because the Republicans LIKE the kind of voter fraud that keeps Democrats and minorities from voting ... because Democrats and minorities (usually) realize that the GOP's platforms aim to line the pockets of the rich and disadvantage the less-well-off by eliminating governmental restrictions that interfere with irresponsible exploitation of natural and human resources ...

• Z 2012/07/11 12:49:52
    Z
    Primarily because it isn't voter fraud. It isn't preventing anyone from voting, nor is it allowing anyone to vote who shouldn't be. Not to mention many of them are in no way controlled by political groups. Many Robocalls are run by private individuals, and there is absolutely no evidence that a Robocall has influenced an election in anyway. In contrast, here in my home state of Missouri, and state election in 2006 was decided by 1 vote, and voter fraud by way of 50 illegal voters being bused in state for the "winner" was video tapped, but because there was no way to prevent it or to enforce a law against it, the election stood. This is an issue of one actually mattering and the other not.
  • Maynard 2012/07/11 12:48:24
    Maynard
    LIBTARD LIES.

Not liberal lies, hopefully those on the LEFT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

The Republicans never ran ROBOCALLS AS DESCRIBED.

Article was written by a LIBTARD WHO WAS LIED TOO, to bad they believed it.
  • A.S.A.C... Maynard 2012/07/11 13:06:50
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    The GOP didn't run them, but they sure as hell benefited from them. The least they could do is pass laws, requiring the phone companies to track down where the robocalls originated from, and notify the authorities, because these people are, by definition, breaking the law. If we need voter ID laws to crack down on voter fraud, why stop there?
    +1
    "Why aren't the Republicans cracking down on this type of voter fraud...?"

Because they know they have to CHEAT to get Mittens in.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/11 04:56:03
  • mwg0735 2012/07/11 04:53:04
  • A.S.A.C... mwg0735 2012/07/11 05:37:36 (edited)
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    +1
    I asked why Republicans aren't pressing to end the robocalls that send deceptive messages out to voters and you basically said if Democrats are dumb enough to fall for them, then they're too dumb to vote. You didn't answer my question. You're just beating around the bush. Oh, wait. Don't tell me. I'm blaming Bush, aren't I?

And - are you a dirty old pedophile?
  • mwg0735 A.S.A.C... 2012/07/11 07:32:49
  • Maynard A.S.A.C... 2012/07/11 12:50:29
    Maynard
    How pathetic are you?

You must be a PROJECTING PEDOPHILE. because you came out with that one from no where.
  • A.S.A.C... Maynard 2012/07/11 13:00:53
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    He accused me of being a bunch of clueless girls, so I accused him of being a pedophile, since it had just as much merit as his accusation...
  • MichaelJ 2012/07/11 04:00:56
    MichaelJ
    +1
    I haven't heard anything about this kind of fraud but if it is happening it should be stopped.

The overriding reason to require a photo id has less to do with stopping voter fraud than it does with restoring the general public's faith in the honesty of the system.

The requirement for photo ID to merely get through life, makes it very difficult to convince the general public that this is some how to much to ask.
  • A.S.A.C... MichaelJ 2012/07/11 04:11:25
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    +2
    Yeah, my mother received a flyer in the mail for the 2008 general election, telling her that her precinct had been relocated. She thought it was highly suspect, so she called the election board to ask if this change was true, and sure enough, they said, "No, this is somebody trying to trick you out of voting..."

For the record, I identify with the Democrats, although, I do believe a voter ID system could work in theory at protecting election integrity. The real problem I have is with how the states are choosing to implement them. They basically just rolled them out overnight, and i haven't been seeing any flyers going around, informing people of the new law, telling them they're going to need a photo ID to vote. Also, around 80 of Texas' 254 counties are without DPS offices, due to updating ID software systems, or ones that flat out don't have DPS offices to begin with. The ones that are updating their systems have no dates listed of re-opening. Why would the State want to implement the new law if they haven't got all of their ducks in a row? It's highly suspect...
  • MichaelJ A.S.A.C... 2012/07/11 16:14:46
    MichaelJ
    I'm glad your grandmother wasn't fooled. One of the weaknesses of our voter fraud laws are that people are rarly harshly punished. That should change.

Desmond, I'm not denying that there may be rare cases where someone may have managed to live without any photo identification and are so isolated from society they can't get one. If in this day and age of computer systems that can track what kind of underwhere I bought three years ago, if they can't manage to enter and issue the required to vote free ID's you need to out source your states IT services.

That being the case, what do you believe the chances are that such an individual is going to excercise their right to vote?

The much more important issue is the overwhelming majority of Americans having faith in the voting system. The idea that the photo ID requirement is some secret desire to keep people from voting just doesn't hold up in my opinion.
    Mark In Irvine
    +4

• Jester M.S. 2012/07/11 03:40:27 (edited)
    Jester M.S.
    +1
    I think all forms of potential voter fraud should be investigated and acted upon, and I also agree with requiring a person to verify their identity to cast a ballot.
  • Dan 2012/07/11 03:38:52
    Dan
    +3
    Because if your dumb enough to believe robocalls then your too dumb to vote.
  • A.S.A.C... Dan 2012/07/11 03:45:02 (edited)
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    +1
    By your logic, I could shoot you and argue before the judge that "If he was dumb enough not to dodge the bullet traveling at him at 200 mph, then he was too dumb to live". Charming. BTW, your ≠ you're.

What about people who are threatened with incarceration if they attempt to vote? It happens a lot more frequently than you think, especially in African American voting districts...
  • Primiti... A.S.A.C... 2012/07/11 04:12:33
    Primitive Christian
    Evidence?
  • A.S.A.C... Primiti... 2012/07/11 04:18:52
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    +1
    It happened in 2006 in counties with African American voting districts in Virginia. It's published in a Law Review Article written by a law professor that I'm reading for my advanced research project for my Master's of Legal Studies.

"Threats of incarceration or deportation instead of death often accompany voter intimidation and deception efforts. For example, in 2006, in certain counties in Virginia with considerable minority populations, voters received automated calls misinforming them that they would be arrested if they tried to vote on Election Day and falsely reported that their polling places had changed. Consequently, conniving methods continue to exist and adopt new forms."

Citation: Gilda R. Daniels, Voter Deception, 43 IND. L. REV. 343 (2010).
  • Primiti... A.S.A.C... 2012/07/12 18:16:27
    Primitive Christian
    Is there any evidence that the GOP was involved?
  • Dan A.S.A.C... 2012/07/11 04:14:53
    Dan
    +1
    You mean like the two black panthers who were outside a Philidelphia polling station dressed in military garb with clubs? Maybe Eric Holder can help you with that.
  • A.S.A.C... Dan 2012/07/13 03:34:35
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    The Bush DOJ successfully prosecuted 1 of the 3 guys. Unfortunately, the Voting Rights Act §11(b) only treats voter intimidation as a civil penalty. So, people who engage in voter intimidation will receive a fine of $5,000, but no jail time. There wasn't enough evidence to link the other 2 guys to the incident, nor was there enough evidence to prove that they had actually deterred voters out of voting.
  • Dan A.S.A.C... 2012/07/13 04:34:19
    Dan
    So by your logic a phone call is the same as a bullet? ok. You can question motives all day long but that does not address any possible faults with voter ID in any way. Do both, Investigate robocalls while insuring voter ID. Charm is for con artists and sexual predators, I don't need it.

2014/10/20 08:12:42