Occupy Wall Street Movement Is a Year Old: Did it Change Anything?

Chris D 2012/09/17 19:00:00
It must get tiring camping out in front of the Stock Exchange and complaining that there are no work opportunities, because the crowds have gone home -- hopefully to a place to live and a job. The campers did have a point though.

The banks caused a huge crisis by repackaging crappy defaulting loans and selling them back to us as mortgage-backed securities and "derivative" investment products. That's a nice magic trick...then once it all blew up, the the politicians used tax payer money (otherwise known as TARP funds) and bailed the bankers out, so they could still get their bonuses. Maybe the bankers who were paying big money to the election campaigns (on both sides) were cashing in their influence? Either way, the whole thing sinks. So maybe we should be able to regulate the financial services industry a bit better so that banks can't defraud America. Isn't that the government's job?

How did the industry ever get deregulated in the first place? Well, the whole cause of this mess can be traced back to when Bill Clinton signed the The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act into law in 1999, repealing part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, removing barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company. Voila, the fox was now guarding the hen house, and guess what happened?

So the government causes the problem by letting banks self-regulate their businesses. The Occupy Wall Streeters started with a good high level complaint, but then the cause spiraled into a sloppy self, indulgent mess that became an attraction for petty criminals and anyone looking to cause trouble. Did the movement change anything or was it all just noise?

CNN.COM reports:
Police encircled Lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on Sunday as protesters geared up to observe the one-year anniversary of Occupy Wall Street.
park sunday protesters geared observe one-year anniversary occupy wall street

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/16/us/ny-occupy-anniver...

• PaulBot415 2012/09/18 21:38:10
    It changed some things
    PaulBot415
    Unfortunately many of the things that changed are stricter laws on domestic terrorism and protesting whether lawful or unlawful. It has taken a toll on the constitution and the way our current administration views our civil liberties. Moreover, they have truly brought a threat to the Government that the Government is legitimately afraid of, which was good until it resulted in preemptive measures to protect the power and control of the Government and the 1%.
  • samdan234 2012/09/18 21:33:33
    samdan234
    +2
    Dead beat american wanabees.Giveing a bad name to all real hippies from a bygone time....smoke one for me!!!
  • bacon.nivison 2012/09/18 21:32:30
    bacon.nivison
    Shined a light upon the stupidity which permeates the US. Occupy Washington might've been a better idea.
  • Craig 2012/09/18 21:27:13
    Craig
    +2
    I don't know what was accomplished by these "islands of misfit toys".
  • Derbyhat 2012/09/18 21:27:10
    It changed some things
    Derbyhat
    +1
    It showed us that the White House is NOT on the side of the average American. It showed how crude some Obama supporters are and the entitlement-oriented criminal element that has their ACORNS (I mean fingers) out for more pay or just latch on to a liberal cause.

In Cosmos, Carl Sagan's 1980 history of the earth, he used the calender year as its timeline. If mankind only showed up in the last two minutes of the year, how can even the most educated among determine that global warming (if not just just another ice age/hot age cycle), can be abated in any way except by reduction of population to diminish the depletion of the resources God gave us. When the earth is moving on the same general path as it has be 5 billion years and has gone through periods of ice ages, desolation and tropics, how do you change the thermostat to spread the temperature around like Obama is trying to spread the wealth of wage earners to those who have unfortunate situations and the growing class of programmable liberal democrat deadbeats and wage earning unions?!?!?!?
  • Sass 2012/09/18 21:20:46
    Sass
    +1
    The only possible thing that it may have changed is the fact that we all learned how disgusting some people can really be!
  • Sass Sass 2012/09/19 16:14:21
    Sass
    HA ha ha ha CHRIS, I have the profanity filter on so I didn't see a thing you said : )
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/09/18 21:08:09
  • denny 2012/09/18 21:07:07
    denny
    +2
    they just smoked up a lot of pot
  • DANTE d... denny 2012/09/18 21:21:09 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    'Infamous head shake'
  • justsomeguy151 2012/09/18 21:05:12
    justsomeguy151
    They're so stupid, they were protesting the WRONG thieves. The Federal Reserve runs the White House who bends over backwards to defend Wall Street's illegal practices. By protesting the Wall Streeters, it made people ignore them as beggars instead of being thinking conscientious protesters. they became a mob. Also they were infiltrated by NWO cronies who made sure they never got organized and stayed dumb.
  • DANTE d... justsom... 2012/09/18 21:16:16 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    t is the beginning of a paradigm shift, which starts with the institutional surface being stripped away to reveal the raw reality of our new feudalism underneath.

The world once thought the revolutions in Europe and America changed everything, granting individual rights and democratic governments forever. And that the aristocracies and monarchies were swept away once and for all.

Fascism
    Horrible Lie
    Biblical proof
    The pyrimid scheme

*Jon Bergen
  • texasred DANTE d... 2012/09/18 23:45:40
    texasred
    +1
    Yeah... I have a lot of faith in people like this:

crap1

crap2

filth

cab1
  • hilllary 2012/09/18 20:55:45
    hilllary
    +3
    Just showed that they and Obama are the same.
  • Oltom 2012/09/18 20:48:20
    Oltom
    +2
    They weren't working last year and they aren't working this year and probably won't be working next year either!
  • DANTE d... Oltom 2012/09/18 20:52:51
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    Can you say.... Ignorant????
    I work full time, Zac Del Roche is a multimillionaire musician, a fair percentage were students, to name just a few examples... any other brain busting debates you have lined up?
  • Oltom DANTE d... 2012/09/19 05:37:32
    Oltom
    So they like raping,trashing public parks and smashing windows,sounds like your kinda of people!
    They are not my kind of people however!
  • DANTE d... Oltom 2012/09/19 06:56:12 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    No! I admit that where a small percentage that where completely unruly, but be honest with yourself you can't sit here and say that everyone or even a majority where involved in the rioting acts. Living in Vancouver I got to experience the Stanley Cup riots, so I know how you feel. But the 600,000+ people that where downtown watching the game where not at fault for the riot, just the few thousand of idiots. Lets focus on the real issue, which is not the rioters, it just has become the unfortunate mask of the real issues at hand. Well fortunate for the 1% though :-(
  • Michael 2012/09/18 20:35:36
    It changed some things
    Michael
    +3
    Fannie and Freddie were "forced" to loan to people that wouldn't ordinarily qualify in the name of political speak called "everyone should own their own home". The banks had to comply to the dictates of government. Why is it so hard for this to be understood. It was OVER REGULATION therefore that caused this landslide. Perhaps the people demonstrating had to get a real job to pay back the student loans that the "government" forced the schools to make at subsidized rates by taxpayers. Oh, geez, why was I forced to pay for someon elses student loan? I paid my way, my child's way and my grand childs way. By the "way" the student loans enabled the universities to raise the tuition to an unimaginable high, forcing many people out of a college education because they weren't POOR ENOUGH to qualify for government largess...but the professors can take home over $350,000 a year.
  • RayG 2012/09/18 20:33:16 (edited)
    RayG
    +4
    Though they did contribute to the piles of trash and feces...and show themselves as low life idiots looking for something in exchange for nothing
  • DANTE d... RayG 2012/09/18 20:43:50
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    You are the example of the new anti-American... you just don't know it cuz you're to blind to the obvious
    I say this cuz America was founded on people standing up for what was just, and the example is the tea party where they went and damaged property and caused mischief. LOL why shun these people now???
    And hey these are the people that will run the country for you someday, perhapse they should not help senior either anymore... cuz in a fascist corperate run Neo Nazi America that where you are headed.
  • aguster DANTE d... 2012/09/18 22:23:50
  • DANTE d... aguster 2012/09/19 00:27:11 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    The whole act was illegal as being apart of the British commonwealth lol your full of it I can educate you ...really read this:
    Hmmm smuggling, illegal protestors, and people dressing up as "Mohawk warriors" sound like some mischief to me
    A Canadian that knows more about your own country lol
  • DANTE d... DANTE d... 2012/09/19 21:02:27
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    See no rebuttal... I proved YOU SIR are full of crap!
  • RayG DANTE d... 2012/09/18 22:45:24 (edited)
    RayG
    +1
    Umm..".I say this cuz America was founded on people standing up for what was just, and the example is the tea party where they went and damaged property and caused mischief." The tea party damaged property? Get your head out of your butt. And..."cuz in a fascist corperate run Neo Nazi America that where you are headed."Wanna bet Jerk?
  • DANTE d... RayG 2012/09/19 21:06:56 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    Oh I a sure you my head is not up my ass by the way you may want to look in to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
    Get your stuff straight about your own country, WAKE UP!
    I would be insulted and ashamed of myself if an American taught me about my countries history. I bet you didn't know Canada and Britain defected the US in the war of 1812. Come informed or i will eat you alive in any historical debate!!
  • RayG DANTE d... 2012/09/19 22:13:25
    RayG
    And pray tell what the hell does the Boston Tea Party have to do with it.....and you can eat dog poop and that about as far as you can get
  • DANTE d... RayG 2012/09/19 22:16:43
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    Another person that can't keep up the debate and results to name calling...
  • krayzrick 2012/09/18 20:31:02
    krayzrick
    +1
    NOTHING
  • Apen 2012/09/18 20:27:36
    Apen
    +1
    It did however expose the internal enemies of the union and how they use anarchists and any other faction to create a crisis.
  • Scott 2012/09/18 20:14:54
    Scott
    +1
    There was an occupy group in my small town and they settled for a small park area offered by the town for their tents. Unless you traveled on that street you didn't know they were there. I saw it from about 2 blocks when I had happy hour nacchos one day. It was comepletely quiet. They must have all been inside because you couldn't see or hear a soul. Kind of like ice fishing. I heard later they were rooted out of there by the Police. Nobody takes the newspaper anymore so I can't even tell you if there ever was a news story.
  • sandra smith 2012/09/18 20:10:03
    It changed some things
    sandra smith
    +1
    NOT for the better, mind you, but "legitimized" mob violence in the US, under the sanctions of our government, on a national level, as well as the invasion and trashing of private property, with the rightful owner fbeing denied the right to evict. On a local level it has repeatedly disrupted our city council meetings with a demand the mayor and council have already informed them won't be taken up until and unless or more members expressing a desire to take the issue up, which HASN'T happened in the over 6 months since they started invading the council meetings. But those ARE "changes" however distasteful they are to most of us.
  • Chuck 2012/09/18 20:03:42
    It changed some things
    Chuck
    +1
    If they got their point across enough for someone to notice their existence and then comment about them, they surely accomplished something. Whether it will last or not, is probably out of the equation.
  • tpops 2012/09/18 20:03:02
    tpops
    +1
    Since no one could really articulate what they were protesting I don't know how to determine change. What I learned from the protests is how ugly America with be with a second Obama term.
  • Lanikai 2012/09/18 20:00:17
    +2
    it made a lot of people in this nation hate the entitlement crowd even more, and helped us understand what a lot of useless prigs the liberal universities are turning out.l
  • MissAdventure 2012/09/18 19:55:56
    MissAdventure
    +1
    Nothing significant. If anything, it made those of us who disagree with the vast majority of government policies look like a bunch of whiners and do-nothings. If you want real change, you have to make it happen yourself rather than sit on a sidewalk holding a sign that "demands" change.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/18 19:51:51
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I do not think that it accomplished much if at all. We do need to get Glass-Steagall back in force and get rid of the new regulation. They have halted progress. Bush should have gone into the backs and sent in the auditors as well and many of these people would be in jail now and not collecting huge bonuses for acting bad. Great Post! Thank You
  • arsisi 2012/09/18 19:48:31
    arsisi
    +3
    Change is not an event but a process. The fact that Occupiers are being arrested shows the ruling class fears them and fears the spread of their ideas. They are there to wake up the sleeping masses.
  • Jon Bergen arsisi 2012/09/20 02:19:12
    Jon Bergen
    Gobalization has led to what has been the greatest redistribution of wealth on the planet ~ out of the pockets of the workers and into the bank accounts of the corporations.

The wake-up call is overdue, but at least it is being heard at last.

wealth planet pockets workers bank accounts corporations wake-up overdue heard

• Jon Bergen arsisi 2012/09/20 02:23:48
    Jon Bergen
    Almost forgot...

forgot

2014/12/20 22:19:19