Occupy Wall Street Movement Is a Year Old: Did it Change Anything?

Chris D 2012/09/17 19:00:00
It must get tiring camping out in front of the Stock Exchange and complaining that there are no work opportunities, because the crowds have gone home -- hopefully to a place to live and a job. The campers did have a point though.

The banks caused a huge crisis by repackaging crappy defaulting loans and selling them back to us as mortgage-backed securities and "derivative" investment products. That's a nice magic trick...then once it all blew up, the the politicians used tax payer money (otherwise known as TARP funds) and bailed the bankers out, so they could still get their bonuses. Maybe the bankers who were paying big money to the election campaigns (on both sides) were cashing in their influence? Either way, the whole thing sinks. So maybe we should be able to regulate the financial services industry a bit better so that banks can't defraud America. Isn't that the government's job?

How did the industry ever get deregulated in the first place? Well, the whole cause of this mess can be traced back to when Bill Clinton signed the The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act into law in 1999, repealing part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, removing barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company. Voila, the fox was now guarding the hen house, and guess what happened?

So the government causes the problem by letting banks self-regulate their businesses. The Occupy Wall Streeters started with a good high level complaint, but then the cause spiraled into a sloppy self, indulgent mess that became an attraction for petty criminals and anyone looking to cause trouble. Did the movement change anything or was it all just noise?

CNN.COM reports:
Police encircled Lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on Sunday as protesters geared up to observe the one-year anniversary of Occupy Wall Street.
park sunday protesters geared observe one-year anniversary occupy wall street

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/16/us/ny-occupy-anniver...

• Frank 2012/09/17 20:06:50
    Frank
    +2
    If it did then someone needs to tell me how it changed...
  • Freeranger 2012/09/17 20:05:11
    Freeranger
    +1
    Yeah.........."regard."
  • Kingarthurup 2012/09/17 20:03:47
    Kingarthurup
    +2
    now even the libtards don't acknowledge them
  • Cal 2012/09/17 19:56:37
    Cal
    +2
    No it came, it protested, it started a riot, it started more riots, it started committing crime and violence, it dribbled into terrorism, and now it's mostly dead. Sad story but that's all this group has. No one cares or will remember the OWS domestic terrorism gang.
  • Næthan Æterna 2012/09/17 19:56:10
    Næthan Æterna
    +2
    Not that I can see, if it did, someone please enlighten me.
  • lucky 2012/09/17 19:26:27
    It changed some things
    lucky
    +1
    If anything maybe it showed the government what a lot of people could be capable of if they ever stopped being divided into political sides.
  • Cal lucky 2012/09/17 19:57:32
    Cal
    +1
    Violence, Riots, Crime, and mass chaos? I had no idea that we should be so thankful for our political sides lol.
  • lucky Cal 2012/09/17 20:02:18
    lucky
    +1
    That only happened in some areas, the majority of the protesters didnt cause any problems, the ones in Nashville were very peaceful even when faced with opposition protests from the student tea party protesters, they all still remained peaceful.
  • Cal lucky 2012/09/17 20:04:29 (edited)
    Cal
    +1
    Yet they'll all be remembered the same.
  • Bill lucky 2012/09/17 20:07:27
    Bill
    +2
    "what a lot of people could be capable of"? what was it they accomplished?
  • lucky Bill 2012/09/18 14:54:51
    lucky
    +2
    Its not what they did accomplish but the concept of what the people can accomplish if they wanted to. If an issue ever arose that had the support of the majority of the people in this country, the people could basically bring this country to a halt and force change within the government by doing nothing more than peacefully protesting. If an unorganized group infiltrated by radicals can cause so much trouble, imagine what a well organized peaceful group of all political views could do if they ever came together under one banner.
  • Bill lucky 2012/09/19 19:22:34
    Bill
    Do you really think that occupy Wall Street crowd was unorganized? They were pretty darned organized for a group that was unorganized. You should stop watching the main stream - liberal media only.
  • lucky Bill 2012/09/25 13:23:17
    lucky
    +1
    I seldom watch news, mainly I read newspapers, about 10 a day on a slow day, I read extreme right, extreme left and even a few foreign news papers. You should stop judging people by your own standards, not everyone who disagrees with you is always going to be a liberal or watch liberal news sources.

Occupy was very unorganized, the only people who would think otherwise is people who dont have a clue how to organize in the first place.
  • Bill lucky 2012/09/27 01:38:18
    Bill
    ok so you just contradicted yourself. first you say they were organized and now you say they weren't. what's it gonna be?
  • lucky Bill 2012/09/27 14:57:09
    lucky
    You might want to read my comments again, I said in both my comments they were unorganized.
  • Dryth 2012/09/17 19:22:56
    Dryth
    +5
    As a libertarian college student opposed to all incarnations of "the man", I can honestly say that I think the "occupy" movement was an utterly useless event, where the self-entitled youth gathered to gripe about how angry they are about class division. Well boo-freaking-hoo. Maybe when you come up with a reasonable idea about how to fix it and gather support for that idea, it'll mean something. Don't just sit around and rave at the government demanding that THEY'RE obligated to support your lifestyle. If you want communism, GO TO CHINA! >_>
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/09/17 19:22:48
    It changed some things
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +3
    it shined light on the true cause of the financial calamity and how those powers are still at work changing laws and regulations in order to steal from the future.
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/19 22:49:17
    Daryl
    No actually the OWS was a Marxist movement filled with mostly ignorant idiots who want to use the government to steal from the productive and give them free stuff.

This is not a movement to promote egalitarianism. It is government sponsored theft which is an accurate description of Marxism and our current POTUS.
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/19 23:11:34
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    That is the comment of ignorance and shows a packaged RW complete misunderstanding of OWS, what it stands for, who supports it, and what the message of the movement is.
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/21 20:18:28
    Daryl
    Sorry I could not get past all the rape and defecation to understand the purity of the OWS movement as a critique of corporate corruption and it's exploitation of the working man.

The only problem with your pathetic narrative?

GOVERNMENT is the biggest exploiter of the working man and the OWS scum bags are instruments of the socialist grand larceny.

The day I listen to an OWS doped-out hipster lecture me on social justice is the day I listen to Lindsay Lohan lecture me on being a responsible citizen.
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/21 20:23:54
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    thats good just keep doing this
    fingers in ears
    as any thought outside of spoon fed FAUX talking points and your vulgar diatribes would only confuse you.
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/21 22:09:12
    Daryl
    Sorry but I recognize your smear and don't watch Fox News.

Clearly you are the one lacking substance and soaked in narrative.
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/21 22:30:16
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +2
    Sure you do. You used all the great RW one liners. "Marxist movement, use the government to steal from the productive , government sponsored theft, OWS doped-out hipster " .... all the classics there for the pasting. Yeah FAUX news, O-Lie-ly, InsANNITY, LintBall and Savage ... you got em all.

The thing you dont have is one shred of understanding or FACTS to back up your unfounded bias. I am not surprised ... you have closed off your brain, eyes and ears to any FACTUAL content that doesnt agree with your brand of political religion.
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/22 19:11:58
    Daryl
    Strange you seem to watch Fox News.

Limbaugh and Savage are on Fox now? I didn't know.

I have spoken directly to the facts. You have attacked personally.

I bet the irony is lost on you.
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/22 21:22:19
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +2
    LMAO .... oh how very typical of a RW pundit. CONfusing opinion with fact is a daily prescription.

Please, by all means, point out ONE FACT that you have provided. I'll be patiently LMAO while you search for one.
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/23 02:47:33
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/23 02:53:50
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/23 02:55:44
    Daryl
    Direct citations:
    http://commoncts.blogspot.com...

I see guy fawkes mask, I grab my pepper spray.

You are rabid dogs that should be caged for the good of society.
  • DANTE d... Daryl 2012/09/23 03:07:15
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    He lists maybe a few hundred crimes from around north america... what he does't state is that their is literally 10 of millions of people (combined) at these demonstrations... and some how they are all at fault??
    It's idiots like you that incite the riots... punching people and pper spray come on... please
  • Daryl DANTE d... 2012/09/23 05:53:39
    Daryl
    Yes I will engage in riots next time I see an OWS dirt bag.
  • DANTE d... Daryl 2012/09/23 06:07:53
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    My point has been fully realized now, thank you!!!
    Oh and now YOU ARE by your own definition a "criminal scumbag" lol
  • Daryl DANTE d... 2012/09/24 01:32:46
    Daryl
    Does that mean you love me now?
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/23 03:09:01
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    [yawn] ... RWNJ internet tough guy exposed.

Yes, I am laughing at you. Pathetic
  • DANTE d... Daryl 2012/09/20 03:00:26
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    Do you have any creditable documentation to support you claims??
    I doubt it!!
  • Daryl DANTE d... 2012/09/21 20:19:07
    Daryl
    Move out of your mother's house before you presume to challenge me.
  • DANTE d... Daryl 2012/09/21 22:13:17 (edited)
    DANTE da DESTROYER
    +1
    Oh damn... GOOD ONE!!! Is that really the best that you can come up with though? I mean you get to stop and think about what you write.... but it obvious from your statements that it is very difficult for you to process the idea of critical thinking. All you know is violence!!!
    "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit."
    Mahatma Gandhi
    "A belligerent state permits itself every such misdeed, every such act of violence, as would disgrace the individual."
    Sigmund Freud
    "Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create."
    Pope John Paul II (I was raised catholic but no long support/practice it)
    "Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself."
    Lao Tzu
    "A fascist is one whose lust for money or power is combined with such an intensity of intolerance toward those of other races, parties, classes, religions, cultures, regions or nations as to make him ruthless in his use of deceit or violence to attain his ends."
    Henry A. Wallace (YOU ARE the tool here)
    "The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information."
    Henry A. Wallace

Oh not it's your business, at all, but I have live on my own for over 11yrs (since I was 18)... any other doozies???
  • Joe Shw... DANTE d... 2012/09/21 22:29:34
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    OUCH
    thats going to leave a mark
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/22 19:14:01
    Daryl
    The funniest thing is liberals think soccer is a real sport.

I guess to you, soccer is about as rough as you want to play.

Can't blame you, princess.
  • Joe Shw... Daryl 2012/09/22 21:27:43
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    You know what is REALLY FUNNY? You missing the entire FACT that you been severely punked and thought the post was about soccer. LOL.

I bet you think princess is one of those tough guy insults. LOL.
    internet tough guy
  • Daryl Joe Shw... 2012/09/23 02:48:00
    Daryl
    Nothing says normal like a guy fawkes mask.

2014/10/31 21:37:15