Occupy Wall Street Movement Is a Year Old: Did it Change Anything?

Chris D 2012/09/17 19:00:00
It must get tiring camping out in front of the Stock Exchange and complaining that there are no work opportunities, because the crowds have gone home -- hopefully to a place to live and a job. The campers did have a point though.

The banks caused a huge crisis by repackaging crappy defaulting loans and selling them back to us as mortgage-backed securities and "derivative" investment products. That's a nice magic trick...then once it all blew up, the the politicians used tax payer money (otherwise known as TARP funds) and bailed the bankers out, so they could still get their bonuses. Maybe the bankers who were paying big money to the election campaigns (on both sides) were cashing in their influence? Either way, the whole thing sinks. So maybe we should be able to regulate the financial services industry a bit better so that banks can't defraud America. Isn't that the government's job?

How did the industry ever get deregulated in the first place? Well, the whole cause of this mess can be traced back to when Bill Clinton signed the The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act into law in 1999, repealing part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, removing barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company. Voila, the fox was now guarding the hen house, and guess what happened?

So the government causes the problem by letting banks self-regulate their businesses. The Occupy Wall Streeters started with a good high level complaint, but then the cause spiraled into a sloppy self, indulgent mess that became an attraction for petty criminals and anyone looking to cause trouble. Did the movement change anything or was it all just noise?

CNN.COM reports:
Police encircled Lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on Sunday as protesters geared up to observe the one-year anniversary of Occupy Wall Street.
park sunday protesters geared observe one-year anniversary occupy wall street

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/16/us/ny-occupy-anniver...

• nicesteve 2012/09/19 23:21:18
    nicesteve
    +2
    It made very little difference. Most of our politicians probably just let our cries go in one
    ear and right out the other ear non-stop.
  • DavidK 2012/09/19 22:06:51
    DavidK
    +3
    We already knew pretty much how many of Obama supporters were already out there.....
  • safari 2012/09/19 21:49:02
    It changed some things
    safari
    +4
    Now I know just how many idiots there are in this country - that is what it changed for me. Politically - nothing - it changed nothing except it empowered the Marxists even more than they already were with the Marxist in Chief's entrancement of Marxism.

America wake up!
  • Ron safari 2012/09/20 02:25:25
    Ron
    +1
    Marxist Hysteria, that's Great!
  • Glenda ... Ron 2012/09/20 23:50:07
    Glenda Simpson
    +1
    Marxist hysteria it is not listen with your ears obama is a practicing marxist, and has set out to destroy America, in three and half years he has done one whale of a job. if you idiots put him back in office you are going to suffer
  • Ron Glenda ... 2012/10/06 21:02:02
    Ron
    Except for the Clinton years, the real income of average Americans has declined for the past 30 years, while the top 1% done extremely well. You can thank your Fascist Republicans for that. Unless Americans wake up and elect all Democrats, who will introduce a rational tax structure, we will look like Mexico in 10 years.
  • Glenda ... safari 2012/09/20 23:50:10
    Glenda Simpson
    +1
    I agree with you. your right WAKE UP AMERICA!!
  • john richardson 2012/09/19 20:42:27 (edited)
    john richardson
    +5
    They were just as big of a joke as Nancy Pelosi . The only thing they showed is what they're made of and they left some of ithat on a police car
  • IndyLinda 2012/09/19 20:21:33
    It changed some things
    IndyLinda
    +7
    I changed how tolerant of their BS I have become, from slightly to not at all.
    occupy idiots
  • safari IndyLinda 2012/09/19 21:50:10
    safari
    +4
    love that pic! Snagging it!
  • COCO IndyLinda 2012/09/21 05:16:20
  • PDenoli 2012/09/19 19:30:20
    PDenoli
    +5
    Made me dislike poseurs just a little bit more than I already did, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

hipster doofus
  • Kevin 2012/09/19 19:01:05
    Kevin
    +5
    Just reminds us that there are Takers and Givers and if we are not careful, The Takers will decide who will become our next president. More free stuff and less freedom is what they want. Get the government out of your lives and man -up.
  • safari Kevin 2012/09/19 21:51:27
    safari
    +3
    the takers picked the resident that we have already
  • Kevin safari 2012/09/28 14:38:21 (edited)
    Kevin
    Yes they did, and I don't know if we, the country, can handle another four yrs. of entitlements.
  • Glen McLeod 2012/09/19 18:39:46
    Glen McLeod
    +3
    probably not, but it did damage our image globally.damage image globally
  • Cynthia Wolf 2012/09/19 17:21:47 (edited)
    Cynthia Wolf
    +2
    I love a popular uprising. I was thrilled with the Tea Party, especially since I sent a mass email stating it was time for one after Obama got elected. Our economy had crashed and he was promising the moon, smh ... They were focused on the economy and replaced many ppl in the 2010 elections on both sides. Contrast that with The Occupiers. I watched. I kept waiting, I questioned 'what is your goal?'. 'Wealth equality' I heard. Well 'get a job', I thought. They occupied small businesses and hurt blue colored workers shutting down ports. I pointed this out & asked them to focus on the government that they employ and stop hurting the people. They came back in the spring seeming a bit more focused on the government. But I still don't see them actually making a difference, just a mess.
  • Mopheadmusic2000 2012/09/19 16:15:13
    Mopheadmusic2000
    +5
    Occupy was an excuse for dead-beats to protest. Perhaps if the Obama Administration could muster up the "three letter word, J-O-B-S" (sic, Biden) then these goofs could have OCCUPIED a wage-earning post. Instead rich kids protest rich organizations. Anarchists protest and demand a new set of rules (ha ha). And those who are not wanting to work, and therefore have no money, nor pay taxes, protest that they've been cheated. these people are so full of it. They aren't organized. they aren't civil. They aren't CLEAN. They aren't coherent. They aren't even relevant. These juveniles are only repellent. They won't work so they try to keep others from working. BUT perhaps the greatest demonstrator that they have is the one who has breached Pennsylvania Avenue. Obama: Occupy White House.
  • wayne rowe Mophead... 2012/09/21 15:37:58 (edited)
    wayne rowe
    +2
    Obviously it did nothing. 5 people raved this comment which demonstrates that complete and utter ignorance is still rampant. This is not even an opinion in the realm of possibility..
  • Mophead... wayne rowe 2012/09/22 16:57:35
    Mopheadmusic2000
    WHAT do you goofs want? You make demands of WHAT? Do you think that excrement and and urine are calling cards to a movement? Do you think that rape tents are memorials to greatness? In no way did any of the protests display ANY civility or maturity. If you want someone to hear you, learn to speak as adults and not throw tantrums like the spoiled self-centered dolts that seem to make up this Occupation. Hey, here's an idea: instead of occupying someWHERE, do someTHING productive. Rather, it seems that someone needs to change your diapers, put a nook in your mouths, and put you to bed! AND if you need to check ignorance, look at the group you've aligned yourself with. Doesn't it make you proud? It probably does. Which only proves YOUR point: complete and utter ignorance is still rampant.
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2012/09/19 16:11:25
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    +5
    Newt Gingrich was right. take a shower and get a job!
  • COCO Sailor ... 2012/09/21 05:17:33
  • 13Cloud88 2012/09/19 15:35:37
    13Cloud88
    +6
    No. It was just an excuse for hippies to go camping in the city.
  • Kevin 13Cloud88 2012/09/28 14:39:34
    Kevin
    These are not hippies, they are pretenders or want to be's.
  • MkB 2012/09/19 15:28:08
  • safari MkB 2012/09/19 21:47:12
    safari
    +4
    That image sums up my thoughts about what occupy is

he is taking a ___ on the symbol of what gives him the right to do it -

I'd say what an ass but that would be a little too ironic
  • Darkitec 2012/09/19 15:01:19
    Darkitec
    +6
    They are making private sector employees angrier at government handouts and the leaches and moochers that are abusing the redistributed tax dollars the government is confiscated from them.
  • Patriot 2012/09/19 14:50:59
    It changed some things
    Patriot
    +1
    it has opened some peoples eyes to the facts of who stole the money
  • lorrie Patriot 2012/09/19 18:27:18
    lorrie
    +1
    Weathy: supposedly intelligent, greedy and less honest, says a new survey.
  • askmike 2012/09/19 14:22:21
    askmike
    +1
    Yep. It greatly increased the opportunities for the Anarchists to wear their bandanas to hide their identities while trashing city streets and smashing windows. The original OWS dolts welcomed all comers and the Anarchists stole the show. Now the OWS bunch constitute another 1%, and now they represent nobody but themselves.
  • Todd_I 2012/09/19 13:51:18
    Todd_I
    +3
    If they had any effect it was minimal. Although, Obama keeps trying to beat-up Mr. Romney over his personal business success and I assume this is an appeal to the anti-coorporate portion of his base. Most of America is employed by coorporations and few of us have the hatred toward them that Occupy has. As mentioned, it was Clinton rather than Bush who deregulated Wall Street. In fact Bush added regulation with Sarbane Oxley Act in 2002. I'm not sure why Occupy is so naive in who they support politically.
  • Howard Todd_I 2012/09/19 14:20:52
    Howard
    +5
    Because they're a mob -- and a mob doesn't have any brains.
  • Robert ... Howard 2012/09/19 15:43:43
    Robert DiBiano
    +1
    Not resposive to the question Howard. unless you are nieve enough to believe a brainless mob can't change things (how about the french revolution?)
  • john doe 2012/09/19 12:35:40
    john doe
    +6
    OWS demonstrated to the public that there are a lot of failed-to-launch type people who won't/can't accomplish much of anything. Aimless, brainless wannabe hippies have no suggestions to offer about economics.
  • thє вlu... john doe 2012/09/19 13:25:46
  • Michaelene 2012/09/19 12:30:31
    Michaelene
    +6
    OWS showed positive proof that there are communists and socialists who are outspoken about their beliefs, no longer hiding in the dark. I saw the NOI and the NBPP join in too, even though the striking Verizon workers who marched alongside them didn't know who they were dealing with, most don't know their union now allows these -ists to be their leaders.

It also embarrassed the he!! out of my kids (13-21) for being a part of this gimme gimme generation. We visited both OWS and Occupy Philly on more than one occasion to see it fall apart into envy and chaos. Although they laughed at them, they still paid attention when I pointed out the propaganda and their "libraries" contents. Fortunately I did not let my kids accept a trophy just for participating and I'd dare a coach to try it.
    occupy philly socialists occupy philly socialists occupy philly communists
  • thє вlu... Michaelene 2012/09/19 13:26:51
  • Michaelene thє вlu... 2012/09/19 13:56:04
    Michaelene
    +4
    Look, he could have been another of Obama's sons!
  • Butch 2012/09/19 10:34:57
  • WestSeaDoc 2012/09/19 09:57:59
    It changed some things
    WestSeaDoc
    +2
    The Occupy movement passed or is passing like a Bowel Movement. The major reason is that the movement never was a clear movement for any specific change. It was too scattered in what it wanted to accomplish? (Can anyone recall a single change in policy that it wanted accomplished?). It eventually began to sound much like a tantrum of a 3 year old rather than an adult substantive drive to bring any dynamics to the table. It did manage to at least temporarily shine a light on the problem of wealth disparity. The problem is that that has been widening through all administrations ... even more so under Obama, paradoxically to some, than under the oft vilified Bush. The real problem that entrenched power, tends to maintain it and the movement did not address any way to remotely alter that playing field. I always said that campaign reform and term limits would go a long way towards moving thing more toward equity ... at least leveling the playing field. I won't go into it now but the Netherlands have an interesting system that promotes coalitions and several parties having to work with each other to obtain power, but that's for another note.

2014/04/19 22:25:50