Obama's new law, Shut Up By Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

KCurtis 2012/03/15 23:53:36

Last week, President Obama
signed into law the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds
Improvement Act of 2011. This law permits Secret Service agents to
designate any place they wish as a place where free speech, association
and petition of the government are prohibited. And it permits the Secret
Service to make these determinations based on the content of speech.

Thus, federal agents whose work is to
protect public officials and their friends may prohibit the speech and
the gatherings of folks who disagree with those officials or permit the
speech and the gatherings of those who would praise them, even though
the First Amendment condemns content-based speech discrimination by the
government.

The new law also provides that anyone who
gathers in a “restricted” area may be prosecuted. And because the
statute does not require the government to prove intent, a person
accidentally in a restricted area can be charged and prosecuted, as
well.

Permitting people to express publicly their
opinions to the president only at a time and in a place and manner such
that he cannot hear them violates the First Amendment because it
guarantees the right to useful speech; and unheard political speech is
politically useless. The same may be said of the rights to associate and
to petition. If peaceful public assembly and public expression of
political demands on the government can be restricted to places where
government officials cannot be confronted, then those rights, too, have
been neutered.

Political speech is in the highest category
of protected speech. This is not about drowning out the president in the
Oval Office. This is about letting him know what we think of his work
when he leaves the White House. This is speech intended to influence the political process.

• cap3m 2012/03/16 01:15:05 (edited)
    This is an outrage and a violation of my First Amendement Rights
    cap3m
    +24
    I gave my word that I would defend the Constitution from enemies both forien and domestic. I will complete my vow.

• Bozette Smitty 2012/03/16 21:20:24
    Bozette
    +2
    Far too accurate. If you have never seen the artist's web site, it is very interesting, He has a video explaining why he painted it and also explains why he depicts the flag at half mast and why the lights are on.
  • Thom Payne Smitty 2012/03/16 18:23:13
    Thom Payne
    I guess you missed the eight years of 'free speech zones' brought to us by Bush?
  • joe ramirez 2012/03/16 15:34:22
    joe ramirez
    +8
    We can thank all those voter's that voted for this president and put him into office and hope they are happy with their decision. This administration has become vial and very Anti-American,but this is what dumb American's wanted in office!
  • Thom Payne joe ram... 2012/03/16 18:23:21
    Thom Payne
  • Getting... Thom Payne 2012/03/17 04:30:10
    GettingBarried
    I guess that makes it ok for Obama to make things worse.
  • Thom Payne Getting... 2012/03/18 16:22:44
    Thom Payne
    No, it doesn't. It means that you're a hypocrite for condemning Obama for doing what Bush did and you didn't make a peep.
  • Getting... Thom Payne 2012/03/18 22:19:19
    GettingBarried
    +1
    How do you know I "didn't make a peep". When was this discussed in terms of what Bush did or did not do? If I were to support Bush then you'd have a leg to stand on. It only means you're a knee-jerk lefty that probably bashes Bush at every turn and ignores the destructive nature of the Obama administration.
  • Thom Payne Getting... 2012/03/19 17:31:13
    Thom Payne
    Because those like you I encountered prior to Obama's election thought that the Republican President should somehow be insulated from the will of the American people.
  • Getting... Thom Payne 2012/03/19 21:07:18
    GettingBarried
    What exactly did I believe the president should be insulated from?? I'm curious what it is that you've created in your mind about what I created in mine...
  • Thom Payne Getting... 2012/03/19 22:58:36
    Thom Payne
    The protests on his inauguration

Bush inauguration protest

Protests of his invasion of Iraq (15,000,000 people)

Iraq invasion protest Iraq invasion protest

Protests over wireless wiretapping

Bush wiretapping protests Bush wiretapping protests

Want more?
  • Getting... Thom Payne 2012/03/19 23:05:26
    GettingBarried
    I'm sure you have oodles more. What came of all this?
  • Thom Payne Getting... 2012/03/20 18:09:22
    Thom Payne
    Nothing. They were easy for the President to ignore since they couldn't get within miles of him.
  • voice_m... joe ram... 2012/03/16 18:41:05
    voice_matters
    libby make sure you thank all the voters that place everyone in congress. seeing as far as i can find all voted for it that was in the building at the time of the vote.
  • BlueRepublican 2012/03/16 15:27:27
    BlueRepublican
    +7
    @KCurtis, thanks for posting. I'm also doing my part. People need to find out that while they were busy going to work, raising their kids, and saving for retirement, they LOST ALL their rights. WAKE UP, AMERICA!!!
  • voice_m... BlueRep... 2012/03/16 18:41:48
    voice_matters
    libby what rights have you lost. i know you can not answer seeing no rights have been lost but please try.
  • BlueRep... voice_m... 2012/03/16 19:00:57
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    Personal:
    H.R. 347 Trespass Act--Restriction of 1st amendment freedom of speech and assembly.
    Patriot Act--Violation of 4th Amendment right to privacy by legal use of wiretapping and e-tapping+ 48hr detention w/out charge.
    NDAA-Violation of Article 1 sec. 9 'due process of law' by legal indefinite imprisionment by military without probable cause, charge, trial, and representation.

Collective:
    Wars Powers Resolution-President can declare war without Congressional approval aka People's consent.
    Fed Reserve Act of 1913-Violation of Article 1 sec. 8 Congressional authority to print coin/money and regulate value.
    Just a few....:-)
  • voice_m... BlueRep... 2012/03/16 20:19:57
    voice_matters
    libby seeing you have not lost you right to speak or assembly and you know that and that is why you couldn't show it violated. as for the patriot act and ndaa also boith constitutional and nice try at running from hr347. then you run even farther to war powers act which i agree is unconstitutional seeing it limits the presidential power as commander and chief of the military. also libby only the is treasury can authorize the prrinting and coining of money.

thanks libby for showing not a single right taken from you, also libby the war powers and money issues are not your rights but powers of the us government. but i again want to thank you for securing the fact that no rights lost
  • BlueRep... voice_m... 2012/03/16 20:30:51
    BlueRepublican
    thanks voice. I am only trying to "follow the law" and when these aforementioned items became law, then as a good citizen I have comply.
    If you choose to believe that the examples that I mentioned are Constitutional, then so be it. I just happen to disagree.
    P.S. I do not feel we should give up any liberties for the sake of security. Thanks.
  • voice_m... BlueRep... 2012/03/16 20:34:05
  • BlueRep... voice_m... 2012/03/16 20:39:58
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    My friend, I am not the chosen "defender" of Libertarianism ideology, but I am however open-minded to listening to varying points of view. All the best :-)
  • voice_m... BlueRep... 2012/03/17 21:07:36
    voice_matters
    too bad your mind is closed too tight to name any rights lost
  • KCurtis voice_m... 2012/03/16 20:46:59
    KCurtis
    NDAA and this.
  • voice_m... KCurtis 2012/03/17 21:06:34
    voice_matters
    ndaa has nothing to do with hr345. by the way liby ndaa is constitutional seeing no rights taken. so libby thanks for showing all you have is ignorance.
  • KCurtis BlueRep... 2012/03/16 20:46:35
    KCurtis
    +1
    I WILL NOT COMPLY!
  • BlueRep... KCurtis 2012/03/16 20:56:38
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    Thank you KCurtis. We're all in this together.
  • voice_m... KCurtis 2012/03/17 21:07:13
    voice_matters
    and you will be arrested. which will keep your ignorance off of this lib site for several years
  • 4570GOVT 2012/03/16 15:24:29
    4570GOVT
    +9
    THIS IS AN " OUTRAGE " ! This should be Front Page News and be run DAILY until everyone KNOWS what kind of Communist Government is being forced upon us BY DECREE ! This was never supposed to happen under Our Constitution . In fact , liberal sheep have now taken the same stance on Our Constitution as " The Chosen One " ! They ridicule ANYONE who DARE defend the Constitution ........ ( until a republican is in office )
  • Thom Payne 4570GOVT 2012/03/16 18:23:35
    Thom Payne
  • 4570GOVT Thom Payne 2012/03/16 22:46:14
    4570GOVT
    +1
    WTF are you talking about ?
  • Thom Payne 4570GOVT 2012/03/17 00:01:54
    Thom Payne
    Google it and find out.
  • KCurtis 4570GOVT 2012/03/16 19:03:48
    KCurtis
    +1
    You won't find it there. The loons running News Media are carrying Obama's water.
  • 4570GOVT KCurtis 2012/03/16 22:50:42
    4570GOVT
    +1
    Sure they are . Hard to believe that ANY rational human being could think that any branch of the M.S.M. would be anything but slanted to the FAR LEFT . The MSM is nothing but the " Propaganda Wing Of The Democrat Party " .
  • 2468 4570GOVT 2012/03/16 19:09:33
    2468
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin...

When President Bush travels around the United States, the Secret Service visits the location ahead of time and orders local police to set up "free speech zones" or "protest zones," where people opposed to Bush policies (and sometimes sign-carrying supporters) are quarantined. These zones routinely succeed in keeping protesters out of presidential sight and outside the view of media covering the event.

When Bush went to the Pittsburgh area on Labor Day 2002, 65-year-old retired steel worker Bill Neel was there to greet him with a sign proclaiming, "The Bush family must surely love the poor, they made so many of us."

The local police, at the Secret Service's behest, set up a "designated free-speech zone" on a baseball field surrounded by a chain-link fence a third of a mile from the location of Bush's speech.

The police cleared the path of the motorcade of all critical signs, but folks with pro-Bush signs were permitted to line the president's path. Neel refused to go to the designated area and was arrested for disorderly conduct; the police also confiscated his sign.

Neel later commented, "As far as I'm concerned, the whole country is a free-speech zone. If the Bush administration has its way, anyone who criticizes them will be out of sight and out of mind."
  • Old Nellie Bones 2012/03/16 15:13:53
    Old Nellie Bones
    +10
    Didn't Hitler do something like this.Wake up People.
  • 4570GOVT Old Nel... 2012/03/16 22:52:42
    4570GOVT
    +1
    HE DID !
  • Plantgypc 2012/03/16 15:13:03
    Plantgypc
    +10
    I will be sitting in jail for the 1st time in 57 years of life.
  • Bill Plantgypc 2012/03/16 16:45:23
    Bill
    +6
    Move over .
  • Plantgypc Bill 2012/03/16 18:35:33
    Plantgypc
    +3
    Welcome my friend.
  • Bill Plantgypc 2012/03/16 18:38:25
    Bill
    +3
    I hope it gets real crowded in here.
  • Plantgypc Bill 2012/03/16 18:44:17
    Plantgypc
    +1
    I've never recieved public assistance either, they eat pretty well on assistance.

2014/10/21 02:28:27