Obama's Daughter Spends "Springbreak" in Mexico! What is U.S. Taxpayer Cost?

Prairie Wind 2012/03/19 21:53:57

The elder daughter, Malia, of US President Barack Obama is spending her springbreak in the historic Mexican city of Oaxaca in the company of 12 friends, a state police official said. (I wonder if Ms. Fluke got to go with her free birth control?)

The young tourists, including 13-year-old Malia Ann Obama, are staying at a downtown hotel in this city famous for its colonial architecture and well-preserved native American traditions, the official said.

"We are here to block access to the hotel by other people and escort the vehicles that are carrying the visitors to tourism sites," the police official told AFP under the condition of anonymity.

Malia Obama and her friend are guarded by 25 US Secret Service agents as well as Mexican police, the official noted.

The group, which arrived in Oaxaca Saturday, has already visited the architectural zone of Mitla and the tree of El Tule believed to have one thousand years.

The annoucement appeared in this Yahoo link
http://news.yahoo.com/obamas-daughter-spends-springbreak-mexi... , however when accessing the link, one is presented with a tad of media manipulation, but if you note in the "Comments", I'm not the only one who has spotted this "slight of hand"!

Oh, by the way, didn't the State Department tell all above the "border", that it was unwise to go "South". http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html ?

Maybe she was just going down to check on Obama's alligators in the Rio Grande?

Whatever, guess who will pay for this junket and how much?

Edit update: Note the story in "THEBLAZE" about "Why is the story about Malia Obama vacationing in Mexico disappearing from the web?" http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-is-the-story-about-malia-...

MEXICO'S coverage http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/836662.html (Copy the link and paste in your browser's Spanish to English translation program.

mxnotas836662 html copy link paste browsers spanish english translation program

Tuesday Update!:

A 7.6 Magnitude Earthquake Hit Oaxaca, Mexico where this visit takes place!

Oaxaca map

Update!!!

A YouTube video link contribution from "No Nonsense" that presents a pretty good narration of the whole taxpayer abuse!

http://youtu.be/50Iu_UcKNqs

Read More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/why-is-the-story-a...

• James Jones 2012/09/09 01:42:14
    James Jones
    The zobsmas are phones, daddy lies, they have to go in November
  • Prairie... James J... 2012/09/09 06:40:16
    Prairie Wind
    Yup .. house hunting in Hawaii!
  • BIGK27 2012/06/25 02:06:30
    BIGK27
    +1
    President Obama’s Hawaii Vacation Will Cost Taxpayers $4 Million

Michelle Obama’s controversial August 2010 vacation to Spain. According to a Judicial Watch analysis, the records indicate a total combined cost of at least $467,585. Secret Service records, meanwhile, show that the costs to the agency for the vacation were $254,461.20. This total includes $26,670.61 for a chauffeur tour of Costa del Sol and $50,078.78 for a travel planning company SET P&V;, S.L. (George Soros is 50% owner of the travel company.) Taxpayers also paid the bill for separate lodging for a dog and its handler.

I'm Sure it cost us alot.

Obama and tax payers money
  • Prairie... BIGK27 2012/06/25 20:01:32
    Prairie Wind
    Wow, I didn't know about the dog bill!
    +1
    Figure the cost of transporting 25 agents, their pay (probably including overtime), their food and their lodging, and the cost is steep!
  • Prairie... Ken 2012/04/01 23:46:35
    Prairie Wind
    +2
    Judicial Watch should be filing via Freedom of Information Act for the detail of expenses burdened by American taxpayers. This girl could have gone to the Smithsonian for an extensive visit while staying at the White House or she could have gone across the Potomac to the battlefields of Shiloh and Gettysburg to learn about whom died for her freedom.
  • Vitalani 2012/03/27 16:26:47
    Vitalani
    Dude, give me a break.
    He receives a paycheck for his job just like everyone else.
    What he chooses to do with it is his own business.
    I know plenty of kids whose parents are sending their kids on spring break with 1/5 of Obama's paycheck.
  • Prairie... Vitalani 2012/03/27 17:29:21
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    Perhaps post your address in New York where the bill for the trip can be sent to. That'll say this nation from having to pay for their vacations out of our taxes. Maybe you don't understand that yet?
  • Vitalani Prairie... 2012/03/27 17:34:54
    Vitalani
    Continue to complain, it's not going to do anything.
  • Ken Vitalani 2012/04/01 23:51:50
    +3
    On the taxpayers' dollar with 25 Secret Service agents to protect them? I seriously doubt that.
  • Prairie... Ken 2012/04/02 00:12:00
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    The Obama's spending sprees must be exposed and where they are liable for reimbursement to this Republic, all action must be undertaken to secure all properties, incomes and royalties until their legal obligations are completely fulfilled. I remember the Clinton's trying to run off with White House property and having to return it. They were an embarassment and remain so.
  • Ken Prairie... 2012/04/02 00:56:25
    +2
    They are totally ignored by the press. As the story suggests, the White House asked ABC, CBS and NBC not to mention the trip for "security reasons", and they complied.
  • Prairie... Ken 2012/04/16 21:48:54
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    I wonder what the U.S. Taxpayer's expense is after our Secret Service and Hillary were spending their time in Cartegena, Columbia while out "Romancing the 'Bone" and now that Obama is there, he want's to bring "Silverback" down at U.S. Taxpayer expense.

Did Michael Douglas show up for Hillary to be saved from gators or does this bring an image of cankles doing a macarina? Sounds like a Latin American shaking its "hootie"!
  • Ken Prairie... 2012/04/16 23:46:55
    +2
    Silverback??? LMAO. He said one of his jobs was "scouting" new places for her vacations - I don't think he was kidding!
  • Prairie... Ken 2012/04/17 06:21:07 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    Ah! Guess what? Her South African safari trip remains prepared for an "appropriate" posting event .... she must have checking for "like" critters at U.S. Taxpayer expense ... let's see what happens! :)

P.S. Spread the "word"! LMAO too!
  • Andy 2012/03/27 02:36:40
    Andy
    +2
    A 13 year old going to a beach town for Spring Break??? WOW, the security is massive...but is this appropriate for a young lady to go 2000+ miles from home with her friends...especially in a country that has had its hostility issues??
  • Prairie... Andy 2012/03/27 03:47:43
    Prairie Wind
    At our expense too and under travel warnings rather than have money spent in the US where people could have done some business with them, but nope .... cross the border at our expense, plus drag classmates and secret security as nannies.
  • Andy Prairie... 2012/03/27 13:13:36
    Andy
    +1
    This was a bad decision... stay home and go to some kind of cultural/historical learning location...and keep the $$ in the US!!
  • Ken Andy 2012/04/02 01:00:24
    +1
    I'm certain there were female Secret Service agents among the 25 to act as "chaperones", but you are right - the State Department has a "Travel Advisory" out on Mexico, advising against travel there because of the ongoing drug wars. It is estimated that close to 40,000 have died in 4 and one-half years in the war, dwarfing the number of casualties suffered by the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
  • Andy Ken 2012/04/02 14:11:57
    Andy
    +2
    So you agree...OBAMA-Do as I say, not as I do!!
  • Ken Andy 2012/04/12 01:54:28 (edited)
    +2
    Of course! His personal and family activities during his three years in office have disclosed no propensity whatsoever toward saving money for the American taxpayer.
  • Andy Ken 2012/04/12 04:34:53
    Andy
    +2
    Agreed!!
  • potlatch 2012/03/26 20:41:59
    potlatch
    +2
    In all truthfulness it was a school sponsored trip with her classmates.
    But, she was there during Spring Break and she was in a place where U.S. citizens had been warned to avoid.
    Naturally, we paid for the 25 security men, travel, hotel, etc.
  • Prairie... potlatch 2012/03/26 20:53:51
    Prairie Wind
    Please cite your source of reference whereby you state this is a school sponsored trip which will permit confirmation.

Yes, she was in a place where a Government travel warning was specifically issued stating neither Government employees or members of their families were permitted to be present.

We still don't know the expense to United States taxpayers for this trip of a 13 year old. Consider if that money was spent in the United States rather in a foreign country and for what? Latino votes? The girl needs to know this nation first before taxpayers have to pay for vacations they can't even afford themselves due to Obama's economic philosophies and excessive spending.

Proof please.
  • potlatch Prairie... 2012/03/26 21:12:33
    potlatch
    Where have you been? This is old news.

Malia, 13, attends Sidwell Friends School in Washington, which has been organizing trips to Oaxaca for years, said Ellis Turner, the associate head of school, who pointed out that there was NO State Department travel WARNINGS for Oaxaca. The school's spring break didn't start for a week or more after that!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/0...

Malia, who is being accompanied by Secret Service agents, has been in Oaxaca for a school-sponsored service project.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ne...

Google has 10 pages citing this - at first glance.
  • Prairie... potlatch 2012/03/26 22:35:34 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    +2
    Thank you for your New York Times' references. Yes, it's old news, so I could ask you too, just where have you been?

First, what legal obligations exist whereby American taxpayers are to pay for any trips planned by Malia's school? Why couldn't they take a trip in the United States? Spend money in this Republic? Maybe, visit the Smithsonian or tour the battlefields of Shiloh and Gettysburg where they could learn a little about why people fought and died to eliminate slavery, rather than currently enslave them all over again?

Secondly, per the travel warnings posted http://travel.state.gov/trave... for the entire country of Mexico, this provision continues in effect:

"Effective July 15, 2010, the U.S. Mission in Mexico imposed restrictions on U.S. government employees' travel. U.S. government employees and their families are not permitted to drive for personal reasons from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior of Mexico or Central America. Personal travel by vehicle is permitted between Hermosillo and Nogales but is restricted to daylight hours and the Highway 15 toll road (cuota)."

"U.S. government personnel and their families are prohibited from personal travel to all areas described as “defer non-essential travel” and when travel for official purposes is ess...

"U.S. government personnel and their families are prohibited from personal travel to all areas described as “defer non-essential travel” and when travel for official purposes is essential it is conducted with extensive security precautions. USG personnel and their families are allowed to travel for personal reasons to the areas where no advisory is in effect or where the advisory is to exercise caution."

Prohibited, but not for Malia?

Third, this specific statement appears with respect to Oaxaca; "You should defer non-essential travel to the northwestern and southern portions of the state (the area west and south of the town of Arcelia on the border with Estado de Mexico in the north and the town of Tlapa near the border with Oaxaca), except for the cities of Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Ixtapa. In those cities, you should exercise caution and stay within tourist areas."

Fourth, additional warnings regarding Oaxaca are also stated as follows:

"Spring Break in Mexico - "Know Before You Go!"" http://travel.state.gov/trave...

"Oaxaca City: There have been ongoing demonstrations and protests in Oaxaca City due to civil unrest since June 2006. Several groups have engaged in violent demonstrations in Oaxaca City, which resulted in the death of an American citizen in October 2006. Prior to traveling to Oaxaca City, U.S. citizens should monitor the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City’s web site, http://mexico.usembassy.gov/e... as well as http://travel.state.gov for the most up to date Safety and Security information. U.S. citizens should avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by the Mexican authorities. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation."

"Oaxaca (coastal): There have been a number of drownings along the beaches of the southern coast of Oaxaca, namely Zipolite Beach. Professional lifeguard training has contributed to a drop in fatalities, but swimmers are advised that currents can quickly become treacherous, even for accomplished swimmers."

Again, this posting poses the question of just what does this trip cost the U.S. Taxpayer? That continues to remain a legitimate question and to date is unanswered.

Obama's have yet to learn the cost of their actions are accountable to this nation and their lack of respect toward this Republic's voters will ensure no favorable votes.

It's beyond time Obama's learned life in the White House isn't free and, yes, Google includes this posting too! Oh, did I mention they had a 7.4 magnitude earthquake during her visit? http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/eq_...
  • potlatch Prairie... 2012/04/03 03:57:46
    potlatch
    I know all about the government security warnings. If Obama scorns the Constitution, he certainly isn't going to worry about a little thing like 'security warnings'. As we saw, he sent 25 SS men - possibly more that we don't know about. I imagine the Obama's paid for the school trip themselves, but the cost of the SS men would be quite a lot. Yes, heard about the earthquake too.....
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/16 06:00:10 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +2
    PL ... I am surprised that this doesn't bother you. True if the school does this annually the child would go but unless you can provide proof that this was paid for by the Obama's themselves I find by their previous actions to err on the side that the taxpayer has been robbed again by their extravagant lifestyle. Also did the 12 friends represent the whole school visit? Were the 12 friends "hand-picked" for special privledges? How many parents chose to keep their children home because of the reported dangers? There is a lot more here than shrugging ones' shoulders and thinking that the 25 SS men - possibly more is the only thing we should be looking at.

As always provide me proof I am wrong and I will stand corrected. If I have mistaken your intention of the comment my apologies dear friend.
  • potlatch Arizona... 2012/04/19 01:21:01
    potlatch
    +1
    Sorry to be so slow replying, I'm way behind. It's hard to find much info about this Zona, they did have most articles about it pulled.

Perhaps, because I had very active twin girls, I am very familiar with school trips. My one daughter was invited to perform at halftime in the SuperBowl in Hawaii when she was a Drill Team Leader. We parents had many fundraisers to enable them to go. I also accompanied the Drill Team and the Cheerleaders on many school trips as one of many chaperons.

Sidwell school says the parents pay for the trip and I would think the Obama's did pay for that. I know nothing about the other girls who went, their parents made those decisions and if some stayed home, that's beside the point.

Many Presidents have children and they are always protected by the Secret Service. I agree that Mexico is a dangerous place now and if the drug gangs were to attempt something, even 25 SS men would not be enough.

We have too many things to quibble about with the Obama's and to me this wasn't a major issue. Witness the present SS scandal where 11 SS men were involved with call girls when they were supposed to be securing the hotel area.

Here is one tidbit I found. Sidwell School "Minimester"

http://www.aesopsretreat.com/...
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/19 02:04:11 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Thank you. I have a friend who adopted her daughter from China back in the late 80s everly 90s who went to China on a class trip but it was highschool. It was a wonderfu experience for her. You are very correct this is small beans as all the presidents have sent their children on various trips ... I think the difference is the world is so different and we are not so forgiving when it comes to how our government is spending our money. If the 12 friends wanted extra protection for their children they should have footed the bill not the American taxpayer.
  • potlatch Arizona... 2012/04/19 21:59:38
    potlatch
    I do think we were all startled because Malia is only 13yrs old, but many were equating it with Spring Break, which it was not.

I fully agree with you that we can't be as forgiving because they have taken such advantage of us, and it IS their intent to "take" all they can, while they can. Forever if it's left up to them!

I read last evening that Newt Gingrich’s Secret Service is costing taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars a day. Remember that Herman Cain also was receiving SS protection - don't know if it's still in effect though.

Someone said the Secret Service was put under the jurisdiction of Homeland Defense and that 'perhaps' they have lost the feeling of their 'elite' status. Working under a leader such as Obama, they may be taking a "what the he77" attitude, which would explain the recent scandal. Each day brings a new horror, doesn't it?!!
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/20 02:04:47
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Yes it does and yet people are still so willing to allow them to tell us what we need by shoving their picks down our throats and using their controlled media to push it forward.

The founders said it is in the people "by God's own allowance." No branch or agency of the government should be allowed to operate in violation of the expressed will of the people. Their collective will is set forth in the Constitution and the laws passed by the people's representatives.
  • potlatch Arizona... 2012/04/20 03:21:18
    potlatch
    +1
    I'm praying with all my might that SCOTUS will overturn Obama's Health Care. At the same time I know that it will infuriate all those already feeding off of the government. I believe 46% of the population gets government aid, but that 'might' include Social Security.
    You are the Constitutional expert, lol, I'll never argue with you on anything pertaining to that!!
    Enjoyed talking to you Zona.
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/20 03:28:07 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +1
    LOL ... thanks you for the vote of confidence.. :-)

We hedge the bet because God works in mysterious ways as we know... he will not tempt us but he will test us ... so if it is to be and the Obama gets a 2nd term ... we vote those in who best represent our founding principles ... get rid of as many neo-cons and Dems we can and make him a lame duck for the next 4 years ... its not like we the people haven't done it before.
  • potlatch Arizona... 2012/04/20 03:35:52
    potlatch
    Totally agree with you. The only worry I have is that he has already bypassed Congress several times and nothing gets done about it! I wouldn't be surprised if he ignored any ruling by SCOTUS!
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/20 03:42:49 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Vote as many Dems out as feasibly possible as well as the Neo-Cons ... I worry a lot myself, but we both know it really is a waste of time. What will be will be.

I intend to vote for Ron Paul, not because of what he "will" do, but because I know what he "WON'T" do. He will NOT aid in the deterioration of our liberty. As we know he's not called "Dr. NO" for nothing.
  • potlatch Arizona... 2012/04/24 20:36:16
    potlatch
    +1
    This long campaign has kept us from concentrating on the other races. I will vote for every conservative and ABO for President. At least I believe none of the others hate America as Obama seems to do. May God bless us - even if we don't deserve it.
  • Arizona... potlatch 2012/04/25 02:01:34 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    PL ... its all about the take-down of our Constitution. Where Romney, Gingrich both support the Patriot Act and the NDAA .. they don't hate America but they do hate the confines of the Constitution just as Obama does. Our Constitution does not pander to the elitist or those of the aristocracy ... so they need to change the Constitution to put them over the people ... they don't want to be our servants ... they want to give us our rights ... think about it. Anyone but Obama should never have been the mantra of the average America ... because we will get what we deserve if we continue in this direction.

• Andy potlatch 2012/04/02 14:12:28
    Andy
    +1
    There were 2 security staff for every child that went on the trip!!
  • potlatch Andy 2012/04/03 03:59:04
    potlatch
    Yep, sure were and we paid big for that, but President's families always have security when traveling. The problem is that the Obama's travel constantly, lol.

2014/08/21 00:21:41