Obamacare fee of $5.25 per Month / $63 per person to begin in 2014. Did Obama/DNC mislead America about Obamacare?

CAPISCE 2012/12/11 13:15:24
YES
other
Washington Timmes Ricardo Alonso-Zaldiva rAssociated Press 12/10/2012
W
ord started getting out in the spring, said Ms. Young, but hard cost estimates surfaced only recently with the new regulation. It set the per-capita rate at $5.25 per month, which works out to $63 a year.
Your medical plan is facing an unexpected expense, so you probably are, too. It’s a new, $63-per-head fee to cushion the cost of covering people with pre-existing conditions under President Obama’s health care overhaul.

The charge, buried in a recent regulation, works out to tens of millions of dollars for the largest companies, employers say. Most of that is likely to be passed on to workers.

Employee benefits lawyer Chantel Sheaks calls it a “sleeper issue” with significant financial consequences, particularly for large employers.

“Especially at a time when we are facing economic uncertainty, [companies will] be hit with a multimillion-dollar assessment without getting anything back for it,” said Mr. Sheaks, a principal at Buck Consultants, a Xerox subsidiary.

Based on figures provided in the regulation, employer and individual health plans covering an estimated 190 million Americans could owe the per-person fee.

The Obama administration says it is a temporary assessment levied for three years starting in 2014, designed to raise $25 billion. It starts at $63 and then declines.

Most of the money will go into a fund administered by the Health and Human Services Department. It will be used to cushion health insurance companies from the initial hard-to-predict costs of covering uninsured people with medical problems. Under the law, insurers will be forbidden from turning away the sick as of Jan. 1, 2014.

The program “is intended to help millions of Americans purchase affordable health insurance, reduce unreimbursed usage of hospital and other medical facilities by the uninsured and thereby lower medical expenses and premiums for all,” the Obama administration says in the regulation. An accompanying media fact sheet issued Nov. 30 referred to “contributions” without detailing the total cost and scope of the program.

Of the total pot, $5 billion will go directly to the U.S. Treasury, apparently to offset the cost of shoring up employer-sponsored coverage for early retirees.

The $25 billion fee is part of a bigger package of taxes and fees to finance Mr. Obama’s expansion of coverage to the uninsured. It all comes to about $700 billion over 10 years, and includes higher Medicare taxes effective this Jan. 1 on individuals making more than $200,000 per year or couples making more than $250,000. People above those threshold amounts also face an additional 3.8 percent tax on their investment income.

But the insurance fee had been overlooked as employers focused on other costs in the law, including fines for medium and large firms that don’t provide coverage.

“This kind of came out of the blue and was a surprisingly large amount,” said Gretchen Young, senior vice president for health policy at the ERISA Industry Committee, a group that represents large employers on benefits issues.

• gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/12/11 13:35:48
    YES
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +18
    Only the stupid people who worship obama's every move were mislead. Conservatives tried to educate the walking dead brains. And remember this... you have to pass it to know what's in it.

• knothead 2012/12/14 13:05:15
    YES
    knothead
    You better know it. It was an outright screw job to everyone. Brought to you by the same theives that open the Social Security lock box and put I.O.Us back in it. Crooked bunch of theives. Lies and deceit, trickery and slight of hand. Fire every last one of them. Obamacare is nothing more than socialized medicine brought to you by that foreign, fraud, lieing imposter Oscumo and the rest of the one world government bunch. When are the American public going to wake up? Obamacare is a bunch of bull and isnt worth a penny. ASK WHY NO POLITICIANS HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS CRAP HEALTHCARE. It will end up killing off a good part of the people, because it is not made to help.
  • JET 2012/12/13 02:05:00
    YES
    JET
    He lied big time, because he didn't want all of his cards on the table. In all of the confusion it was able to pass. Remember Pelosi saying "We have to pass it, so we can find out what's in it". How's that for brain dead logic?
  • mwg0735 2012/12/13 00:46:31
  • RobHom 2012/12/12 23:28:32
    other
    RobHom
    HOLY CRAP!!!! $63.00 a year!!!! Sheeeeit, the average American pisses that away in beer in the first two months of the year.......

I wonder how you would feel.....now pay close attention morons.....if you or someone in your family had a pre-existing condition and was refused health insurance..

Oh, wait....I know....you fools would sit them down and tell them: Sue/Phil....we truly oppose contributing anything to your welfare....or health care...so just go ahead and die!
  • deckman204 RobHom 2012/12/13 01:22:31 (edited)
    deckman204
    Considering that hospitals write off what folks don't pay, especially those on the dole, how do you figure someone is going to get left to die?????

Fact:

My father who has a history of heart disease had a Quad-Bypass in 2007. This was his second bypass in 19 years. He has also had stints and under gone several heart caths... In June he had to have a pace maker installed.. Because he has been self employed the majority of his life and because the high cost of insurance coverage because of his "pre-exhisting condition" he could not afford insurance. Both instances he was given treatment just like anyone else, he wasn't left to die..... I had a double bypass in 2008 I have full insurance.. My treatment was no better or worse than his...

My mother retired from the billing department in a major hospital... I work part time security in a major hospital now. I see scores of people come into the ER without the ability to pay... People get treated regardless of insurance or the ability to pay.....
    So i'm not buying the "Henny Penny" philosophy.....

Try reading the other 100,000 paragraphs in the 2000 page document......

Just remember "you reap what you sow"
  • RobHom deckman204 2012/12/13 18:28:48
    RobHom
    1st: Hospitals do not write off what folks don't pay. They either pass it on to people with health insurance, or get paid by the government.

Now, in your case, or rather your father's, if your mother worked for a major hospital, I would think that she would have had your father on her family policy. I know when my wife worked for a hospital...our coverage was very good. Later on did he have medicare? Or is he being billed for the services.

I was a business owner, so yes...I know a bit about that kind of situation.

Yes, people do get treated...because federal law requires any hospital that gets federal funds to treat those that cannot pay.

You completely misunderstood the point in my post....its about all of the freaking whining and complaining over every little penny.....

No, I haven't read every paragraph, though I am tempted to...because I believe that there is a significant amount of bs flying around about the issue. Have you read all of the paragraphs.....

What it seems to me....is that many people complain to hear themselves complain....and I do find it amazing that of all the modern and wealthy countries....we are the ONLY one with no national health plan.....

There is nothing that has been passed into law or regulation that cannot be changed or amended as needed.
  • deckman204 RobHom 2012/12/13 20:12:20
    deckman204
    No, I have not read all the entire law either.... I would agree that there is nothing that cannot be changed or ameded.. only if they (the supporters of the law) are willing to make compromise for the good of the order.

I can tell you this. I recently became aware that the police department I work for, as will many other police and fire services, no longer be able to work part time officers or firefighters beyond the scope of 24 hours in a given week.

Because part of the new law "dictates" that if they do they will be required to place those personnel on the insurance the same as full time personnel in adition to paying the additional fee per employee. This will ultimately hurt communities with small police departments... (less than 50 officers) as patrol coverages and protection will suffer at the hands of osterity..

This bill law has alot of cause and effect that will ultimately hurt the majority not the minority of people in this country. But it got rammed down everyones throat regardless of likes or dislikes.......

I personally know of at leaset three doctors so far that have closed their private practice to go to work in the VA... Don't be surprisedif this becomes a trend across the nation...
  • Deb 2012/12/12 20:12:42
    YES
    Deb
    Majority NEVER wanted that crap. Obama, Reid and Pelosi think they know best.

Pelosi..."We have to pass it to see what's in it" One of the STUPIDEST people and comments I have ever heard! but wait, THEY are exempt from the BamaCareNightmare!
  • Steve 2012/12/12 15:20:14
    YES
    Steve
    +2
    “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it”
    Pelosi
  • Woof 2012/12/12 09:35:19
    YES
    Woof
    +1
    The DNC seems to believe that the end justifies the means. Look at these tactics, those of fascist.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/12/12 05:26:06
    YES
    Reggie☮
    +1
    Of course HE wouldn't have it any other way.
  • johngoodboy 2012/12/12 03:52:36
    YES
    johngoodboy
    +1
    When has a politician ever told the truth! They all lie!
  • happyday49 2012/12/12 02:44:58
    other
    happyday49
    +2
    We will probably learn more about in 2014 when it really kick in. I heard on the news within the last two days that some legislators on both sides of Congress are asking that the section/part that taxes medical devices be put on hold until further notice. I wonder why? Probably because of the lack of understanding of implementation and costs.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/12/12 02:12:30
    YES
    heirsoftheking
    +3
    Obama and the SCUMocrats lied.
  • Shifting Piece 2012/12/11 23:57:18
    YES
    Shifting Piece
    +3
    Clearly.
  • ed 2012/12/11 23:53:22
    YES
    ed
    +4
    There is not one thing that isn't misleading in obamacare,if you don't believe me just ask this woman. pelosi on passing obamacare
  • Spy Master 2012/12/11 23:45:21
    YES
    Spy Master
    +3
    Everybody stand up who has read and translated all 2000+ pages of lawyer speak..into readable English
  • ShakibSays... 2012/12/11 23:14:17
    other
    ShakibSays...
    +3
    ONLY FOOLS WOULD THINK THAT OBAMACARE WAS GOING TO BE FREE, AMERICANS EITHER PAY FOR IT OR.. BORROW THE MONEY FROM CHINA.
    NOTHING IS FREE IN THIS WORLD.
  • Mark P. 2012/12/11 23:10:48
    YES
    Mark P.
    +5
    Once again the middle class got a good F#$%% from the politicians.
  • ShakibS... Mark P. 2012/12/11 23:16:24
    ShakibSays...
    +1
    THEY GOT ONE NOT FROM THE POLITICIANS BUT FROM THE SUPREME COURT JUSTICE
  • AL 2012/12/11 22:48:33
    YES
    AL
    +4
    Thats the understatment of the year!
  • terry.cooper.79462 2012/12/11 22:33:06
    other
    terry.cooper.79462
    +3
    Oh No of course not Nancy Pelosi said we would have to pass it to see what's in it. Only a complete moron didn't see this coming, sorry I apologize to the 51% of morons I share the planet with that voted for this shyster of a president.

You were warned and now we are all going to suffer together, don't think we won't beat you like a government mule every chance we get, you're going to get what's coming to you.
  • realist 2012/12/11 21:53:09
    YES
    realist
    +5
    When they refused to accept it was a tax they begun the deception.
  • MW121 2012/12/11 21:35:08
    other
    MW121
    +4
    People are dumb enough to believe that things are just going to magically appear for free or there is no costs associated with with bill, then they deserve to pay more.. Duh,... Who didn't think this was going to cost people money.. Give me a break.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/12/11 21:34:27
    YES
    evangelism_vision
    +3
    OBAMA DOG CARE

AND YOU KNOW WHAT?

If liberals had their way..... They would charge a Tax on every pet you have and require you to have Healthcare for Every pet.

THINK LIBERALS WOULD NEVER DO THAT? I said it now so I can say later

I TOLD YOU SO
  • Chris evangel... 2012/12/12 00:24:44
    Chris
    +4
    Don't give PETA any ideas.
  • evangel... Chris 2012/12/12 00:28:41
    evangelism_vision
    +2
    Ya I know hahahahaahha
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/12 02:51:25
    cut and paste king
    Liberals gave you
    unemployment benefits
    Social security
    Welfare
    Fdic insurance on your savings
    Medicare and medicaid
    Now Obamacare
    ALL ARE LIBERAL SOCIALIST PROGRAMS AND AMERICA LOVES THEM
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/12 18:27:00
    evangelism_vision
    no I disagree,, Some of them I agree but Obama Care? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING RIGHT?

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/12 18:32:11
    cut and paste king
    Listen obamacare was the brainchild of the heritage foundation a republican think tank because even the republicans know that the medical system in america. Has to change ,not to mention that i travel a lot around the world and get opinions from foreighners that have universal healthcare in their country and my decision is go for it
    I have medicare already so i dont have to bother with it
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/12 18:35:42
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    It was Not! that is a Lie

I refuse Obama Healthcare even if there is a fine for not taking it. I won't Period.

YES I do have Medical anyway but I am saying if Obama Care was replaced by Military HealthCare, I would refuse it
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/12 23:12:34
    cut and paste king
    Nothing will change bud. Only the 47 million that dont have health insurance are the pnes dealing with obamacare
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/12 23:17:17
    evangelism_vision
    WHAT HAPPENED IN MICH. IS STILL A VICTORY FOR THE WORKERS OVER THE POWER HUNGRY UNIONS.

A Victory for Capitalism. ONE CHIP AT A TIME
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/13 00:49:21
    cut and paste king
    +1
    As long as they dont go back to 7 bucks an hour
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/13 04:33:04
    evangelism_vision
    $7.00 Bucks an hour in our Economy is nuts. and I agree with you on that!
    Someone getting $7.00 an hour better be living at home with Mom or have a wife that is working too.
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/13 04:35:59
    cut and paste king
    +1
    What do you think a wal mart cashier makes
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/13 04:51:39
    evangelism_vision
    They make what ever the min. Wage is in that state and they may make more depending on experience.

I love WalMart and although people complain about how they treat their employees, that is between the employees and WalMart.

I am a Consumer and I look for lower Prices and WalMart knows that if they ever become Union, they will not ever again be able to offer low prices to the Customers.

I called and I wrote WalMart Corp. and told them that if they ever become Union, I will never again shop there.

They assured me that that won't happen and all the employees I have talked to do not want that either
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/13 05:08:41
    cut and paste king
    A union UPS driver makes about $17.an hour plus benefits
    He is considered middle class and can support a household of 4
    A non union driver makes btwn $8 to $10 an hour no benefits
    Hes considered poor and can not mantain a family of four
  • evangel... cut and... 2012/12/14 01:12:52
    evangelism_vision
    But now that Union Membership is not Required, it means that He and receive more pay and still not be Union.
    There will be a lot of legal ramifications involved and I am not a Lawyer but i see challenges to companies by non union workers.

The Company itself provides Benefits to the employees and I believe that most Companies will be delighted to have employees non union. Less of a burden on them.

I see Cities, and Counties who have Unions and Big Pention plans as a way to promote what was done in Mich., also in other states as well.

Because If i was the president of a Company, and I was snowed under by Union Pentions, I would file Bankruptcy and re-construct benefit packages

And Companies are doing this all over. Look at San Beradino, CA as an Example
  • cut and... evangel... 2012/12/14 01:29:33
    cut and paste king
    I see technology replacing workers more and more each year and it seems that 6 percent is gonna be. The unemployment majic number from now on (no more4percent) i see a glut of people looking for a job and employers are gonna take advantage of it and offer the minimum in wages and the minimum in benefits but i could be wrong

2014/09/22 16:33:53