Obama Wants Access to Your Cellphone Records

snipe 2012/05/04 17:04:06
One more small step in obama's plan to rule our lives? Another small step in his plan to achieve his long cherished dream of absolute power and a Socialist dictatorship?

(Reuters) - The U.S. Congress should pass a law to give investigators freer access to certain cellphone records, an Obama administration official said on Thursday, in remarks that raised concern among advocates of civil liberties and privacy.

Jason Weinstein, a deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department's criminal division, argued that requirements for warrants at early stages of investigations would "cripple" prosecutors and law enforcement.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled this year that a warrant was needed to put a GPS satellite tracking device on a suspect's vehicle, prompting questions about other instances where probable-cause warrants should be needed to obtain information in the rapidly changing world of mobile devices.

"There really is no fairness and no justice when the law applies differently to different people depending on which courthouse you're sitting in," he said at the "State of the Mobile Net" conference sponsored by the Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee.

"For that reason alone, we think Congress should clarify the legal standard," he said.

One civil liberties advocate sought to challenge that assertion, saying the Obama administration had made the same argument during the Supreme Court GPS case and it had been soundly rejected.

"Not one justice accepted the Department of Justice's argument in that case. It got zero votes," Greg Nojeim, senior counsel at the Center for Democracy and Technology, said during the conference. "We're all here, the criminals are not taking over the country."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/03/us-usa-security-sur...

• Calm down! 2012/05/04 17:38:30 (edited)
    Calm down!
    +11
    It's sad that our freedoms are disappearing because of the massive addiction of control. It's so strange that they still have not even built a border fence and sit back and let Mexico just flood into our country, but they will spend countless hours, man power, resources, and money to baby-sit every little thing we say and do on the internet, and now our cell phones? Holy massive control over everyone and everything! American's are getting fed up with all of this babysitting!

Baby sitting funny poster

+1
    Shudder ..

This is all about "CONTROL OF THE POPULATION" ..
    in any ways possible ..
    +2
    And bank account when Obama care goes into effect!
  • stormy rae 2012/05/05 07:15:04
    stormy rae
    +1
    I wish he would, I am not afraid, and I am working stealthly to sweep the word of ron paul nobama no way btw i am on a prepaid network...
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/05 06:09:19
    +1
    Good thing I don't have one.
  • stormy rae Gregaj7 2012/05/05 07:40:31
    stormy rae
    +1
    I am going to do what my heart tells me to do, and I believe America can rewrite History, as opposed to repeat itself!
  • overlord rai 2012/05/05 05:04:41
    overlord rai
    i really doubt this.
  • TheTailor 2012/05/05 02:42:32
    TheTailor
    +2
    Screw Weinstein and the administration, they aren't getting it.
  • Walt 2012/05/05 00:27:58
    Walt
    +3
    The only thing I agree with Weinstein about is the need for Congress to clarify the legal standard. There is an overwhelming need for Congress to make it clear that there is no Constitutional basis for the government to intrude on our privacy electronically or any other way.

In no uncertain terms, the federal authorities need to be told to stay the hell out of our personal lives.
  • Murph 65 2012/05/05 00:20:30
    Murph 65
    +3
    Obama doesn't need access to anything of mine except, maybe, what comes from the census. However, if he's willing to foot the bill for my cellphone I will reconsider his having access. The money is not to come from his proverbial money tree in the backyard of the WH or his "stash" we have heard so much about - it's to come from the big O himself. Otherwise, go away, go far away and far away from my cellphone.
  • Cognito22 2012/05/04 21:41:40
    Cognito22
    +5
    I want access to Obama's school records.

Who is more justified in having their records revealed?
    Me as a private citizen?
    Obama as a public servant running for an elected office?
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/05/04 20:38:47
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +5
    Sure. I guess he does! Obama also wants to control our thoughts. In fact, it can all be summed up in one word..............control.
  • TheTailor Louisa ... 2012/05/05 02:44:42
    TheTailor
    +4
    Progressives thrive on control.
  • Max 2012/05/04 20:19:19
    Max
    +4
    Just like the law that allows drones to fly in U.S. air space, which was heavily lobbied for by the manufacturer's of those drones, and the congressmen that represent the districts they're made in, there will be lobbying from surveillance companies to pass this law.
  • Cuppajo 2012/05/04 18:46:44
    Cuppajo
    +6
    Sure, just as soon as I can have access to his student loan application forms.
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/05/04 18:36:22
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +4
    I think it is part of the Health Care bill. So they can track you down and make sure you took your meds. Especially if it is Ritalin or Prozac.
  • Theresa 2012/05/04 18:18:04
    Theresa
    +5
    This is a strange posting since the Patriot Acts and FISA already gives them that option!
  • D D Theresa 2012/05/05 00:54:44
    D D
    +4
    Exactly what I thought. If anything this just makes it easier for when it comes to charges against a person. The more places they can site this makes it stick harder. The can already listen to your cell, using it as a bug. You don't have to be using it. Just sitting in your house they can turn it on and listen. No warrant needed. It is called a roving bug.
  • Theresa D D 2012/05/05 01:48:18
    Theresa
    +3
    Plus the camera can be activated to take video or snaps!
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/05/04 17:40:06
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +7
    This is NOT SOCIALIST.

It's COMMUNISM pure and simple.

Gosh people, take the gloves off.
    Calm down!
    +11

Baby sitting funny poster
  • Super l... Calm down! 2012/05/04 18:15:09
  • Calm down! Super l... 2012/05/05 01:53:53
    Calm down!
    +2
    Thanks!
  • goatman112003 2012/05/04 17:22:32
    goatman112003
    +6
    I find it amazing that a warrant is needed for the vehicle for a device but people carry cell phones all over and they are accurate to 10 feet in giving a location even while moving and turned off.
  • keeper 2012/05/04 17:13:42
    keeper
    +7
    Glad I don't have a cell phone!! LOL
  • snipe keeper 2012/05/05 00:51:15
    snipe
    +3
    Don't worry, keeper. It won't be long before obama requires us all to have Government issued cellphones. It'll make it easier for him to know who we talk to and about what, he'll also be able to keep track of all of us a lot better.
  • keeper snipe 2012/05/05 17:06:00
    keeper
    +2
    I think they should give one to every illegal so we can find them easier!!! lol
  • snipe keeper 2012/05/06 00:00:25
    snipe
    +2
    Great idea!
  • Joe61 2012/05/04 17:12:26

2014/08/23 07:36:58