Obama v. Reagan

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/07/14 02:05:19
Obama
Reagan

Mr. Obama still chants a familiar mantra: “It’s all Bush’s fault.”
Many of his supporters still accept that excuse. Recently I overheard a
Black minister make clear that he believed that the disastrous economy
is the result of the “mess” Mr. Obama inherited. There is some truth in
that. However, he is not the only president to inherit a “mess”.
Unfortunately, he is not learning the lessons that history has taught.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelet. Obama is copying his disastrous policies, with predictable results.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States. Photo: Elias Goldensky (1868-1943). Copyright never renewed.

The Great Depression that began with the stock market crash in 1929
quickly affected every nation in Europe. In February of 2009, in an article titled “How Government Prolonged the Depression”, The Wall Street Journal
reported that some economists believed that the economy would have been
back to normal by 1935 if the government had not interfered. They also
concluded that unions exacerbated the problem by negotiating unrealistic
labor contracts that decreased competition in product and labor
markets. If we don’t learn from history, it seems we are indeed doomed
to repeat it. Many town and cities in the United States today are in
financial jeopardy brought about by absurd retirement policies, high
wages, and fringe benefits negotiated by all too powerful unions.

The Wall Street Journal article went on to report that:

The main lesson we have learned from the New Deal is that
wholesale government intervention can — and does — deliver the most
unintended of consequences. This was true in the 1930s, when
artificially high wages and prices kept us depressed for more than a
decade, it was true in the 1970s when price controls were used to combat
inflation but just produced shortages. It is true today, when poorly
designed regulation produced a banking system that took on too much
risk.

Today Mr. Obama celebrates and emulates the reign of FDR, professing
that the New Deal led us out of the Great Depression. Unfortunately,
just the opposite may be true. The unemployment rates for the years in
question tell a more unbiased story. In 1932 the unemployment rate was
23.6%. The rate vacillated from 23.6% to 14.6 during the Great
Depression. On December 8, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and
we were drawn into World War 2. In 1942 the rate dropped to 4.7%. In
1944, the rate was 1.2%, and at the end of the War in 1946, the rate was
3.9%. One can say with some degree of certainty that the Great
Depression ended when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

Ronald Reagan
Ronald Reagan did not make excuses, as Barack Obama makes

Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the United States. Official portrait, 1981.

During the Jimmy Carter years (1977-1981), the country experience
another financial crisis brought on by mismanagement of government. By
June of 1980, the unemployment rate was 7.1%, which was supposedly held
in check by prime interest rates that topped 20%, which in turn caused
the S&L; crisis. When Reagan took office in 1981, it can be
successfully argued that he also inherited a “mess”. But Reagan learned
his lessons from history and stimulated the economy through Reaganomics,
which is also termed “trick down economics.” Reagan was not able to
turn the economy around on a dime and the decline continued until 1982,
when the unemployment rate hit 10%. By 1984, it had improved to 7.2%,
and the improving economy catapulted Reagan to a landslide victory. By
the time Reagan left office in 1989, the rate had continued to improve
to 5.3%.

If we compare the “mess” Reagan inherited vs. the “mess” Obama
inherited, there are many similarities. The difference is the way these
administrations handled their “messes.” One (Reagan) learned his lessons
from history and knew that government interference would only
exasperate a bad situation. He also united the country and patriotism
grew to an all time high.

Mr. Obama has followed the example of FDR instead of Ronald Reagan.
The ensuing comparisons follow suit – with one stark difference: FDR did
not cry racism every time someone disagreed with his socialistic
policies. And Reagan never whined that “it was all Carter’s fault” –
although much of it was.

Barack Hussein Obama
Barack Obama.

Barack H. Obama. Photo: Pete Souza, January 13, 2009

To conclude, Mr. Obama is not the only president to inherit a bad
economy. Others have as well. Two others (both Democrats) escalated the
problem; another learned his lessons from history and created a solution
– uniting the country in the process. None, however, surrendered our
national sovereignty in the process, nor did they raid our treasury and
give absurd amounts of our hard-earned tax dollars to foreign entities.
The pages of history have yet to be written for the Obama
administration, but it is my guess that history will not reverse itself
and this administration will become the model for abject failure – that
is if we survive.

What say you? Who was the better President? Obama? Or Reagan?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/07/13...

• Boris D. 2012/07/26 02:15:27
    Reagan
    Boris D.
  • Patti The Yes Fan 2012/07/25 13:40:11
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Lets see now, there are democans and repulicrats. One in the same. They are ALL scam artists. But Reagon? Aside from the Iran Contra this was extremely disturbing. NOT ONE politician cares about murder it seems. Guess whos fault it is. The peoples. WHY? Their so brainwashed. WAKE up and vote out all corporate whores.

http://www.sott.net/articles/...
  • Old Soldier 2012/07/20 00:02:52
    Old Soldier
    +1
    I would answer this excellent Post but really? Obama v. Reagan..........

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,
    Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • mwg0735 2012/07/18 11:06:40
  • Yankee Traveler 2012/07/18 09:06:38
    Reagan
    Yankee Traveler
    +2
    After Carter, Regan was able to re-instill American pride and dignity! That has only been defecated on by every liberal that has assumed the oval office!
  • Patti ... Yankee ... 2012/07/25 13:44:10 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Dignity? And since your such a fake...

http://www.sott.net/articles/...

idiot alert gif
  • Yankee ... Patti ... 2012/07/25 20:31:34 (edited)
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    So you base your argument from the words of people that operate and experiment project? The entire site and it's actual being is an experiment, and you want me to believe something that doesn't really exist?

http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

troll alert
  • Patti ... Yankee ... 2012/07/27 15:29:02 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Where do you get that garbage. Obvious to me, that any article on it, and there are many, would be just experimental according to you. So therefore, do your own homework and discover what you never knew Glad to know your a troll but we need to alert ppl to what you really are

idiot alert gif
  • Yankee ... Patti ... 2012/07/30 21:48:43 (edited)
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    The site itself is a experiment and what it stands for. The person that blogged the article isn't even reputable.

http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

troll alert
  • Patti ... Yankee ... 2012/07/30 23:27:34 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Ok article professor, lets see about this news source. Oh wait, its another experimental site. LMAO Yes thank you for letting us all know your a troll. Unfortunately it says nothing of your lack of intelligence.

http://consortiumnews.com/201... idiot alert gif
  • Yankee ... Patti ... 2012/07/31 08:38:48 (edited)
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    This is from that other site you posted:

SOTT.net is a research project of the non-profit Quantum Future Group (QFG). The project includes collecting, arranging, and analyzing news items that seem to best reflect the movement of macrocosmic quantum energies on the planet. This research further includes noting whether or not human beings, individually and/or collectively, can actually remember from one day to the next the state of the planet, and whether they are able to accurately read that information and make intelligent decisions about their future based on that knowledge. In short, SOTT.net is an experiment.

http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

troll alert

Response to the other link:
    Nothing but a left wing propaganda site. As soon as the A.P. is mentioned and the Blomberg News as well as the Editor Robert Parry being a Nazi and Communist sympathizer. I don't even have to read the article, all I have to do is read the "about" information and will tell me what exactly the site, the journalist, the owner/operators, are all about. So you can keep your tripe to yourself...........seriously stop bothering me
  • Patti ... Yankee ... 2012/08/01 13:34:34 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    LMAO and every article I post will be experimental. LMAO and they all will have no substance according to YOU, the article professor. LMAO Do your own homework or stay blind. Bother you? In case you didnt notice, IM FREE and can do what I want. If you dont like FACTS, tough sh*t. Lacking intelligence? Oh little boy its so nice that you can comment like the little boy you are and then BLOCK like the WHIMP that you are. RUN GUMP RUN YOUR WHOLE PROFILE IS BOGUS. YOUR WHOLE BEING IS BOGUS

• Yankee ... Patti ... 2012/08/01 21:28:20 (edited)
    Yankee Traveler
    +1
    the facts are you have bogus websites and a rhetorical article........Now stop trolling me

http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

troll alert
  • Red Branch 2012/07/18 03:01:06
    Reagan
    Red Branch
    +1
    nuff said
  • Mary Ann 2012/07/17 02:00:14
    Reagan
    Mary Ann
    +3
    I long for the good ole days!
  • Aurora 2012/07/17 00:46:30
    Reagan
    Aurora
    +1
    Yea I am tired of bush.
    Reagan
    +3
    Reagan was a man and a patriotic American who loved his country. Obama is an unpatriotic disgrace.
  • Patti ... none 2012/07/25 13:45:00
  • none Patti ... 2012/07/25 17:52:51
    Yes, patriot.
  • Patti ... none 2012/07/27 15:29:38
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    So patriotic to you means killing women and stealing their kids and a president who condoned it?
  • none Patti ... 2012/07/28 16:10:01
    I guess if you think that's ALL that Reagan did in his eight years you've missed something. Reagan is a real patriot when compared to the Obamanation.
  • Patti ... none 2012/07/29 17:51:43
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    A patriot does NOT condone murder of any kind. Especially of women to STEAL their children. A patriot would have MORALS, ETHICS, INTEGRITY. Nothing less.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/07/17 00:37:14
    Reagan
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +3
    What a poll! A choice between Reagan, who is our greatest POTUS ever, and our WORST, Obama.
  • Patti ... Aqua Su... 2012/07/25 13:45:45
  • mac9 2012/07/16 15:17:22
    Reagan
    mac9
    +6
    I never like to hear Reagan and Obama in any likeness. Obama is a scum and blacks are the racists as blacks only vote for blacks. That is why they never elevate. The people they choose keep then ignorant and down.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/07/15 18:46:19
    Reagan
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +6
    By a landslide.
  • Dwight PWCM 2012/07/15 14:23:59
    Reagan
    Dwight PWCM
    +6
    IMO the question is where certain people look for solutions.

FDR, Carter and BHO demonstrate they believe solutions come from Government and people who are properly educated to engineer solutions.

JFK and Ronald Reagan demonstrated Government works best by facilitating the enginuity of many individuals to provide solutions.
  • sbtbill Dwight ... 2012/07/16 05:06:40
    sbtbill
    +2
    JFK did not cut the size of government. LBJ basically passed the programs he couldn't get through congress. Reagan made the government in many ways the employer of last resort.

I got a lot of sources for my opinions on this but I'll use this one as a good summary

Reagan cut taxes once after that he increase taxes almost yearly. This included a massive social security tax hike that pretty much eliminated all of the 81 tax cut for most people.

Reagan campaigned on 3 things cutting social spending, increasing defense spending and balancing the budget. He did 2 of the three. I rate FDR as a better President because he didn't cut social spending.

Some specifics.

"Reagan significantly increased public expenditures, primarily the Department of Defense, which rose (in constant 2000 dollars) from $267.1 billion in 1980 (4.9% of GDP and 22.7% of public expenditure) to $393.1 billion in 1988 (5.8% of GDP and 27.3% of public expenditure); most of those years military spending was about 6% of GDP, exceeding this number in 4 different years. All these numbers had not been seen since the end of U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War in 1973."

You make the comment that WWII finally ended the Great Depression. I agree it was the largest stimulus in history. Reagan sti...

Some specifics.

You make the comment that WWII finally ended the Great Depression. I agree it was the largest stimulus in history. Reagan stimulated the economy as well with military spending. Since both these massive spending programs greatly stimulated the economy less social spending was needed.

"During the Reagan administration, federal receipts grew from $618 billion to $991 billion (an increase of 53%); while outlays grew from $ 746 billion to $1144 billion (an increase of 60%)"

"National debt more than tripled from 900 billion dollars to 2.8 trillion dollars during Reagan's tenure. Nominal national debt rose from $900 billion to $2.8 trillion during Reagan's tenure while the federal deficit fell from 6% of GDP in 1983 to 3.2% of GDP in 1987."

Reagan tripled the national debt. However his spending program stimulated the economy to such an extent that it went down as a percentage of GDP.

The bottom line is that regarding fiscal and defense policy Reagan and FDR followed similar polices. Obama should do the same. Reagan and FDR differed greatly on social policy. Poverty went up under Reagan. Real wages went down under Reagan. Obama should follow FDR's social policies.
  • Dwight ... sbtbill 2012/07/16 15:48:09
    Dwight PWCM
    +3
    JFK did not cut Government, but did try to make it more efficiant and accountable.

Reagan had a Democrat House and Senate to battle, so no he didn't win often. Spending bills start in the House and no President can do more than request a Budget. That Ronbo managed as much as hi did against the House's of Congress is amazing to me.

I think Obama IS following FDR policy. And it don't look so good.
  • sbtbill Dwight ... 2012/07/16 19:22:27
    sbtbill
    +2
    Check out Reagan's campaign literature. He said he would increase defense spending. He did. He said he would cut social spending. He did, maybe not as much as he wanted but quite measurably. The argument that Reagan was not responsible for the increase in defense spending just does not hold water.

Would love to assign the prosperity during the Reagan years to Tip O'Neil but I can't Reagan deserves credit. Now if you Republican would just start doing what he did instead of what he said maybe we'd get somewhere.
  • Dwight ... sbtbill 2012/07/16 19:31:24
    Dwight PWCM
    +3
    I don't know who claimed Reagan didn't work for restoring our Defense Dept, but I do know that when the USSR collasped and the Berlin Wall came down Liberals scrambled to find an alternative answere. As for cutting Social spending, I agree he couldn't do enough to reform it.

I remember regan ant Tip on TV. Didn't understand all of it at the time, but the difference between Carter and Reagan convinced me to change my party affiliation to Republican.
  • sbtbill Dwight ... 2012/07/16 23:17:33 (edited)
    sbtbill
    +2
    Didn't claim Reagan didn't work to improve defense. Was talking about the economic affects of that.

My point is if you look at FDR you will see that he did a lot of social spending which had a number of positive affects, but since he actually did believe in a balanced budget and occasionally tried for one (1936) it wasn't enough stimulus. Then along came the largest government spending stimulus program in history - WWII. Reagan didn't have a major shooting war but he did have the cold war. Like FDR he used it to fund a huge government spending stimulus program. In both cases it worked. It really doesn't mater what the government spends money on to stimulate the economy as long as it spends.

I am a leftist and a socialist and I give Reagan credit for defeating the Soviet Union. That the final fall came under Bush 1 means nothing it would not have happened without Reagan.

I'm sure we'd disagree on the right of Reagan's social policy, but I'm glad we agree that he cut it.
  • Dwight ... sbtbill 2012/07/17 00:45:06
    Dwight PWCM
    +4
    FDR did keep people fed and working, I won't disagre, but that did nothing to stimulate the economy. Otherwise there would have been recovery before '35. reagans Military build up wasn't that much of a stimulous either, but letting people keep their own money instead of supporting Government spending did.
  • Mary Ann Dwight ... 2012/07/17 02:03:24
    Mary Ann
    +2
    I had a "bit of a conversation" with my dad over this very point! I liked you!
  • Dwight ... Mary Ann 2012/07/17 03:31:33
    Dwight PWCM
    +1
    Thank you, Mary Ann. I developed my opinion of FDR et al. listening to my older relatives reminice over those years. Parents seem to dislike it when you learn the negative of their storys.
  • sbtbill Dwight ... 2012/07/17 18:26:21
    sbtbill
    The way I remember it Reagan didn't let me keep any more money in fact the FICA tax increase meant I had less. There was substantial recover by 1935. Then there was another recession in late 36, but FDR immediately increased spending and things started improving again.
  • Dwight ... sbtbill 2012/07/18 15:09:58
    Dwight PWCM
    In '82 my deductions were taken away, but because my rate dropped I had about $50. per month. I was in the Army making $485 a month so that helped.

So FDR increased spending but didn't raise taxes? So the spending was passed to the future then.

But how do you remember it? If the age you have on your avatar is correct you wouldn't have been born before 1947.
  • william raggett 2012/07/15 10:28:39
    Reagan
    william raggett
    +2
    I thought Regan was a great president and still do. On the other hand I would never vote for Mitt Romney and will be voting for Obama
  • Don william... 2012/07/15 14:52:02
    Don
    +2
    really? Then you do not think Reagan was great!
  • william... Don 2012/07/16 00:05:07
    william raggett
    If you are trying to compare Romney with Regan don't even waste your breath. Romney is a joke and I don't trust him one bit. What does that have to do with me liking Reagan?

2014/07/31 03:34:31