Obama Says Romney Wants to Raise Taxes on Middle-Class to Give Wealthy a Break: Does He?

Chris D 2012/08/01 20:00:00
The spin keeps on spinning. Now, it's Obama saying Romney will raise taxes on the middle class to keep the tax breaks going for the super wealthy. Sounds fishy to me. Is Obama right, or is it true that Mitt Romney is planning to raise taxes on the middle class?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
AKRON, Ohio – President Obama today pounced on a new report that found Mitt Romney’s economic plan would raise taxes on the majority of Americans and give tax breaks to the super wealthy, telling supporters in the battleground state of Ohio that his opponent wants them to pay more so that “people like him” can get a tax cut.
obama romney

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/obama...

• Daryl 2012/08/01 21:23:17
    Yes, Romney wants to raise taxes on middle class!
    Daryl
    +25
    Yes.

Romney knows that by pandering to the ultra-ultra-ultra-wealthy he will win the election.

They make up the majority of voters in swing states like Ohio, Indiana and New Mexico.

• john richardson 2012/08/06 01:27:31
    No, it's all just spin.
    john richardson
    +4
    Mitt Romney knows by lowering taxes you collect more revenue,as proven by JFK ,and Ronald Reagan,he believes in the American people and govt needs to get out of our way and jobs will soon replace unemployment and with more people working and paying into the system there would be no need to raise taxes
  • Birthpangs 2012/08/05 23:38:41
  • DavidK 2012/08/05 23:26:21
    No, it's all just spin.
    DavidK
    +4
    JUST WHERE IN THE HELL DOES IT SAY ROMNEY WANTS TO TAX THE MIDDLE-CLASS AND GIVE IT TO THE RICH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? More goddamn liberal spin! Nice try Chris D and all you libtards!
  • fuzzy K... DavidK 2012/08/06 17:59:44
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    Obama's TV commercial.
  • bob h. 2012/08/05 22:32:17
    No, it's all just spin.
    bob h.
    +1
    Wrong box. Of course he wants the middle class to pay.
  • DavidK bob h. 2012/08/05 23:20:30
    DavidK
    +1
    sure, why should the middle-class pay taxes. Thats what the rich are there for, right? IDIOT.....
  • socokid 2012/08/05 22:31:17
    socokid
    +2
    Give wealthy a break.
    A break? They have had countless "breaks" and all it has created is a two-tiered society with the #1 disparity in the Western world, and it is ripping this nation apart.

By nearly every measure, the United States does far better with less disparity. Giving more to those that already have it all has fixed nothing, ever.

What "sounds fishy" is your inability to even do a modicum of research.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Busi...
  • DavidK socokid 2012/08/05 23:28:49
    DavidK
    What "sounds fishy" is you libtards not knowing who supports this Country and not admitting who the sponges are!
  • bob h. DavidK 2012/08/06 03:18:59
    bob h.
    +2
    Imagine the country was attacked, and we drafted all the rich. Imagine.
  • DavidK bob h. 2012/08/06 03:43:00 (edited)
    DavidK
    +1
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? you need a serious med check.....
  • socokid DavidK 2012/08/06 19:13:56
    socokid
    If only 100 people controlled the entire wealth of the United States. Would you STILL be defending them as the "supporters" and "job creators" (even if true!)?

Or, would you FINALLY realize the disparity is a problem after realizing the 99.999% of the rest of us were fighting for food?
  • DavidK socokid 2012/08/06 20:22:55
    DavidK
    give it up..... it makes no sense
  • john ri... DavidK 2012/08/09 16:09:07
    john richardson
    +1
    You couldn't have made that any easier to get but this is their response DUH , republicans. BAD !!! Democrats. GOOD!!!
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2012/08/05 22:26:46
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +3
    thats the right wing way.. always favor the rich and spit on the poor
  • DavidK The Agi... 2012/08/06 03:44:51
    DavidK
    thats the group I would most likely depend on.......
  • Bevos The Agi... 2012/08/06 14:51:29
    Bevos
    +1
    If the "poor" would get off their DEAD asses, and get a job, that would take care of the need for more taxes on anyone!!!
  • Badger Bevos 2012/08/06 17:03:33
  • Bevos Badger 2012/08/07 14:07:25
    Bevos
    +1
    I know a LOT of poor people. A lot of people that live off Welfare. ALL of their lives. Just keep having more kids for us to support. People that work part-time. so they have enough to buy their booze. That's all they care about. I volunteered for a yr. in a HeadStart Center, they were ALL underprivileged kids. The Parents were supposed to volunteer as assisstants, ONE day a week, but it was almost impossible to get anyone to help. THey were too busy with their own lives. Doing what I don't know because they did not work. They were on Welfare.
    I worked for the wealthy, the last 10 yrs of my career, and I never felt I was poor. I had everything I needed plus enough to take vacations, semi-annualy, entertainment weekly or bi-weekly. I also never resented that wealthy WERE wealthy. They made different choices than I did.
    I raised my two boys on my wages alone. I was a waitress, I did not have Welfare, nor did their Father ever pay his Child-support, until my eldest was grown, and the Govt started taking it out of his Income Refund. He didn't like that, so started paying on a reg basis. We always had everything we needed and a bunch of extras. My children were not spoiled rotten and lazy, like so many are today, but they grew up to be honest , hard working citizens. My oldest has ...

I raised my two boys on my wages alone. I was a waitress, I did not have Welfare, nor did their Father ever pay his Child-support, until my eldest was grown, and the Govt started taking it out of his Income Refund. He didn't like that, so started paying on a reg basis. We always had everything we needed and a bunch of extras. My children were not spoiled rotten and lazy, like so many are today, but they grew up to be honest , hard working citizens. My oldest has his own business, and my youngest is a foreman at his job.
    You sound like my oldest Sister. She is jealous of anyone that has more than SHE does, although she was married most of her life to a lazy no-good that would not work. They had seven kids and she worked and he drank it up. THEY were poor!!!
    Don't tell me about the poor.
  • The Agi... Bevos 2012/08/06 20:16:17
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    in a way youre right some poor people are just lazy but others just got unlucky
  • Bevos The Agi... 2012/08/07 14:14:37
    Bevos
    I know there are a lot of people out there that are Mentally unstable, or physically handicapped that cannot work, or work at a full-time job, I am not talking about them. I am talking about the 49% that are on Welfare and not working, and did not work back when there were jobs. They just let our taxes take care of them.
  • txpatriot 2012/08/05 21:38:43
    No, it's all just spin.
    txpatriot
    +2
    Now, which side of Obama's mouth did these words come out of? How in the heck does he know what Mr. Romney's plan is. How does Obama know what Obamas plan is??? His plan is made based on polling numbers and he changes his stance to go with the way the wind blows and his campaign manager (Axelrod) tells him. I'd rather go with Mr. Romney's plan any day of the week even not knowing what it is. Either way Mitt goes, it's got to be better than Obama's way. Obama will always go against the middle class no matter what he says.
  • jerry 2012/08/05 21:08:26
    No, it's all just spin.
    jerry
    +5
    Obamacare is the biggest tax increase (and job-killer, and government power grab, and old folks hater, and care rationer, etc...) in the history of mankind.

that is the only way it cleared the supreme court was as a tax! Liar-in-Chief!
  • DuncanONeil 2012/08/05 20:03:39
    No, it's all just spin.
    DuncanONeil
    +2
    Actually it is all lies. Obama said "Now, despite the evidence, the entire centerpiece of my opponent’s economic plan is a new, $5 trillion tax cut on top of the Bush tax cuts."

http://historymusings.wordpre...

So the "evidence" does not support Obama's claim, but he made it anyway.

Romney's plan:
    Individual Taxes

America’s individual tax code applies relatively high marginal tax rates on a narrow tax base.

Make permanent, ACROSS-THE-BOARD (emphasis added) 20 percent cut in marginal rates
    Maintain current tax rates on interest, dividends, and capital gains
    Eliminate taxes for taxpayers with AGI below $200,000 on interest, dividends, and capital gains
    Eliminate the Death Tax
    Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)

Corporate Taxes

The U.S. economy’s 35 percent corporate tax rate is among the highest in the industrial world,

Cut the corporate rate to 25 percent
    Strengthen and make permanent the R&D; tax credit
    Switch to a territorial tax system
    Repeal the corporate Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/08/05 18:18:52
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    Everybody with a functioning brain knows that the middle class has been paying what the rich have not because of voodoo economics. Most on the ideological right don't wanna hear it & call it "spin." Well, that's their prerogative however, what they call spin is still the TRUTH!
  • txpatriot #Justic... 2012/08/05 21:47:25
    txpatriot
    Dude, you know not about what you speaketh. What is fair in your tax system? When 47%+or- of the population don't pay any taxes, how can you say that the "rich" are paying too little? I've worked for people who every quarter had to write a $25,000+ check to pay into the system. How about you? Have you ever done that? Even though these people made a lot of money, they usually paid over $200,000 a year in income taxes (federal and state) because the law firm where I worked, it had offices all over the world. So, they had to pay taxes in all those states and in other countries as well) we had offices in even if they never even stepped in those offices or tried a case in those venues. The middle class has no idea what these people pay and can't comprehend when the "rich" pays in more than most middle class individuals make in a year. So, how is that fair? Just because someone has gone to college for years and work their asses off, why should they have to support a nation where our leaders lend, spend and give away millions of dollars so they can get re-elected.? If you were a really rich person who paid thousands and thousands of dollars in taxes, wouldn't you feel shafted?
  • socokid txpatriot 2012/08/05 22:28:17
    socokid
    +1
    When 47%+or- of the population don't pay any taxes
    How in the WORLD does this lie still live. sigh... Payroll taxes, is taxes too. About 86% of Americans pay federal taxes. You are talking about income tax.

taxes taxes 86 americans pay federal taxes talking income tax

I've worked for people who every quarter had to write a $25,000+ check to pay into the system.
    And are living a luxurious life, I would presume. Better than 99% of other Americans, and better than 99.99% of the rest of the world.

Problem?
  • txpatriot socokid 2012/08/05 22:39:52
    txpatriot
    No, I'm living a decent life. I'm talking income taxes, which includes taxes on dividends derived from investments. If 99% of the rest of the world are living poorly, maybe it has something to do with life choices. I choose to have way too many horses, so I have less money to spend on other things...my choice. If someone chooses to drop out of high school and get a job at minimum wage, whose fault is it? If someone chooses to go to college, work several jobs going (I had at least 3 jobs at a time when I went to college) and get up, go to work, then I guess those were choices I made. Believe me, right now I'm broker than broke...have less money than I have ever had in my life. I made a choice to take an early retirement and go into business with my husband. The fairy tale hasn't turned out like I'd hoped. The stresses of running a business has broken up our marriage and we're facing a divorce. Life choices. There's no easy solution, but until our government is responsible in spending the money paid in by any taxes whatsoever, I think everyone should be able to keep as much as they can.
  • socokid txpatriot 2012/08/05 23:18:51
    socokid
    +4
    of the rest of the world are living poorly, maybe it has something to do with life choices.
    Was that a serious statement?

If someone chooses to drop out of high school and get a job at minimum wage, whose fault is it?
    This, is your problem. You actually believe that all poor people simply didn't work as hard as you did. You did not work 40 times harder than the man across the street from me, working two jobs to keep his house that they have lived in for 20 years. Had a wonderful job, and he was very good at what he did. The CEO of his company did not work 453 times harder than he did. Not even sure if that is humanly possible. This is just part of the problem, however. We do not reward hard work anymore. We reward wealthy people's money. We reward greed and individualism.

If you happen to be born into a wealthy family, your odds of being a wealthy adult are nearly locked in for doing nothing more than getting out of bed and following simple orders. Born to a poor family, you will almost certainly remain poor. Fighting to go to school every day to share a science book from the 80's. Class movement is dead in this country. The opportunities are virtually gone for anyone without the money to begin with. Those breaking into the top tier are now the stuff of legend. The American Dre...

Was that a serious statement?

If you happen to be born into a wealthy family, your odds of being a wealthy adult are nearly locked in for doing nothing more than getting out of bed and following simple orders. Born to a poor family, you will almost certainly remain poor. Fighting to go to school every day to share a science book from the 80's. Class movement is dead in this country. The opportunities are virtually gone for anyone without the money to begin with. Those breaking into the top tier are now the stuff of legend. The American Dream is a now a myth. Start a business? LOL, most people can barely start their car with the current gas prices. Did you know that the average household income is less than 52k a year? 50% of families in this country make less than that. When a wealthy person sitting in their corner office wonders "why everyone else just didn't do their homework and go to college and then get a 150k/year job, they must be lazy, how dare they make me pay a few percentage points more... like they used to... when the economy was just fine... "... it shows they are completely out of touch. Completely blinded. A fish does not know he is wet, in other words.

You have missed what has become of America. A two-tiered society that is ripping us apart. I understand that you would rather have another horse to fill your barn than help this nation that has rewarded you so handsomely for your decisions. However, nearly every statistic shows we do MUCH better as an entire nation when we have less disparity. MUCH less disparity, in fact.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Busi...

http://www.amazon.com/Price-I...

This myth that poor people will become more motivated if we make them more poor, is just as ridiculous as suggesting that making the wealthy pay more will stop people from wanting to become successful. Absolute silliness.

Government most certainly has a role.
  • txpatriot socokid 2012/08/05 23:25:38
    txpatriot
    Never mind...your mind is closed and not worth further examination or explanation. Have a great life. I can tell you weren't raised with that never give up determination I was raised with. So sad.
  • socokid txpatriot 2012/08/06 21:41:21
    socokid
    Right. Poor people simply didn't work as hard as you did.

I understand your problem just fine.
  • txpatriot socokid 2012/08/07 16:22:56
    txpatriot
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. YOU'RE THE PROBLEM. HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY IN TAXES IN YOUR LIFETIME??? ARE YOU PART OF THE MINORITY THAP\T PAYS 0.03%??? CHECK OUT THE CBO STATISTICS OF 2009 AND SEE HOW IT IS DUDE. YOU HAVE NO CLUE. OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE PART OF THE 99% AND IF SO, WHOSE TO BLAME FOR THAT????
  • #Justic... txpatriot 2012/08/06 14:59:50
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    No I would not feel shafted because whatever I paid to the federal government in taxes is a mere pittance for all the benefits I received from the quality workforce that was provided to me by virtue of what my taxes paid for.

It boils down to what I call economic patriotism. People who don't wanna support their country with their taxes are dead-beat Americans. Wrapping yourself in the American flag while singing "God Bless America" doesn't make a person a PATRIOT! Supporting your country in whatever way it is needed makes someone a TRUE AMERICAN PATRIOT.
  • txpatriot #Justic... 2012/08/06 16:15:54
    txpatriot
    You are a useful idiot by the regime that has brainwashed you to believe that you should support every single idea the government has. Read the Constitution to see the powers of the government and what it is suppose to provide to us. ACORN is not in the Consitution nor is forcing banks to give mortgages to those who did not qualify...thus leading to the mortgage meltdown. You can bold your words, make accusations and call me names, but I am patriotic and believe that the government does not solve problems, it causes them in more instances than not.
  • #Justic... txpatriot 2012/08/06 19:21:02
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    IF you're one of them people who don't believe in supporting YOUR COUNTRY with your taxes then you ARE a dead-beat American. I take it that you don't mind having your vehicle getting messed up because the streets & highways are not maintained. Did you jump for joy when that bridge crumbled into the Mississippi River cuz Tim Pawlenty felt a sports stadium was more important than keeping that bridge in good repair? Did you feel bad for the families who lost loved ones because of the bridge crumbling?

I guess you want the youth of America to be ignorant while other nations value education. Do you want your children or grandchildren flipping burgers all their lives because they got a rotten education?

You wanna talk about the mortgage meltdown? Good, that's a favorite subject of mines. Especially since George W. Bush came up with the idea of loaning money to low income people so they could own their own home.
  • txpatriot #Justic... 2012/08/06 20:45:35
    txpatriot
    You need to study history more closely. Johnson started this mess with his policies and Clinton continued them. Obama, through ACORN, forced banks to make these loans. If you were as smart as your ass is, you would know that Bush went to Congress 17 times to alert them to the problem caused by these mortgages, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. But, Barney Frank and Maxine Waters assured them that everything was ok. I guess your mind is so filled with hate that facts don't matter to you. Such the story with liberals, facts just don't matter. I know where my heart is and how I feel about my country. My family came over here in 1726 and have fought in every war American has been engaged in. I have worked and paid taxes since 1976. What happens to the youth afforded a free education and doesn't have the skills necessary from the home to learn what is taught to them isn't my problem. If you're such a great American, stop whining and do something about the problems heaped on us by the liberal politicians. No one is perfect, but I am what I am and I'm proud of what I contribute on a personal level to those I know and love, not counting those I don't even know. FYI I just put the last bit of money I had into a fundraising jar for a child I don't even know facing a fatal diseas...
    You need to study history more closely. Johnson started this mess with his policies and Clinton continued them. Obama, through ACORN, forced banks to make these loans. If you were as smart as your ass is, you would know that Bush went to Congress 17 times to alert them to the problem caused by these mortgages, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. But, Barney Frank and Maxine Waters assured them that everything was ok. I guess your mind is so filled with hate that facts don't matter to you. Such the story with liberals, facts just don't matter. I know where my heart is and how I feel about my country. My family came over here in 1726 and have fought in every war American has been engaged in. I have worked and paid taxes since 1976. What happens to the youth afforded a free education and doesn't have the skills necessary from the home to learn what is taught to them isn't my problem. If you're such a great American, stop whining and do something about the problems heaped on us by the liberal politicians. No one is perfect, but I am what I am and I'm proud of what I contribute on a personal level to those I know and love, not counting those I don't even know. FYI I just put the last bit of money I had into a fundraising jar for a child I don't even know facing a fatal disease. It brought tears to my eyes reading what this family is facing, so I went to my truck, scraped up the last change I had, which is the last bit of money I have, and gave to them. My problems are nothing compared to someone facing this tragedy. So, get off your highhorse and do something other than blame, blame, blame...i.e., get a life.
  • txpatriot #Justic... 2012/08/06 16:17:55
    txpatriot
    I guess you don't take the deductions provided in the tax code but just write a check for the IRS giving them every excess dollar you have. If so, thank you. You can be assued it will be wasted in the next loan to a solar company sure to file bankruptcy in a few months. We loaned Solyndra $535 million and can expect to receive only $25 - $35 million in return. Do you call that responsible government in action?
  • jasmine1 2012/08/05 17:18:47
    No, it's all just spin.
    jasmine1
    +3
    BarryMonster is a liar!!!!!
  • David 2012/08/05 17:05:05
    No, it's all just spin.
    David
    +6
    I have yet to see any proof that Romney or anyone wants to raise taxes on the middle class. There is not proof. Raising taxes on the wealthy will accomplish absolutely nothing except for maybe putting a dimple in the runaway debt. Spending and borrowing must be slashed. For those of you who believe that Clinton's tactic of raising taxes on top earners produced a surplus you could not be more clueless and wrong. Deep defense spending cuts and the dot.com boom helped the most coupled with much lower competition from the Asian markets. It was not raising taxes but go ahead and believe that and I got a bridge to sell you.
  • shadow76 2012/08/05 14:02:06
    No, it's all just spin.
    shadow76
    +4
    It is Owebummer that wants to tax the middle class out of existance!
  • readmylips 2012/08/05 13:28:18
    No, it's all just spin.
    readmylips
    +7
    Just the POTUS opening his mouth and more lies are spewed. He will do and/or say anything to continue in his present position of tearing down our once great nation.

2014/09/01 13:45:08